Need Help About Playing Warly

Last time I tried Warly was around 2018 on Shipwrecked, I knew what he got in DST but never interested. So I just tried to play with him and learn to handle him because when I play with my friends, I usually stay at home. So he would be a good character. But his gameplay is too stressfull for me. I'm scaring to starve instead of enjoying because I'm a person that sometimes pass days with only eating seeds lol. Now I want some tips and tricks from Warly mains and I will write few things I did in my Autmn in there and it was really hard to play. I'm seeing there is a lot of person play with him easily which make me believe I'm playing him really wrong.  You can warn me the wrong things I did and extra things I could do.

Day 0-5

I looked for oasis for cactus to use them ass filler. I found it but later, I realized how stupid this idea.

Ate Meatball, Ratatouille, Fist Full Of Jam. I had problems about hunger

Day 5-10

Found oasis but run out of meat, so just looked for more. Started to build few things.

(I usually handle base with full planted berry bushes around day 10 but looking for meat became a big problem for me.)

Ate Meatball and Meatstew

Day 10-15

Builded 5 pig houses near to base, started to farm, got three icebox. Planted seeds around day 15. 

Ate meatball and meatstew

Day 15-20

Planted a spider dent near to base. Seed slightly show up. Food is barely enough to survive, have to fill it up so much.

Builded bird cage

Ate meatball and meatstew

At The End

Now ofcourse I will survive the winter -even with meatstew- but handling food stress will not let me discover and get resources in winter. I can play with him when I have friend to play but it's really hard in singleplayer. Also most importantly I couldn't find out any "starting" perks that improve his gameplay.

I would also recommend to fish ( found a pond near your base) and gather some honey. So you can improve your dishes a little bit.
I honestly think that Warly is OP or broken. I mean once you have access to all his dishes easily.

Spoiler

imagen.thumb.png.8ef8defb22aa7960ae0151dc339272ba.png

For winter, spring & summer try to obtain the vegetables or items needed to do the recipes from the list. 5, 6 & 7 dish are exactly for that.
Otherwise you can also obtain some garlic, to combine that with any food and gain an extra defense bonus perk for a while.

Personally when I start as Warly I will kill everything I possibly can: pigs, catcoons and goats.  These usually are abundant enough to let me eat nothing but meaty stew in the beginning.  You could do meatballs too and eat one meaty stew and one meatball and then wait until starving again to make more.  

36 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Found oasis but run out of meat

The oasis is a great place to base as Warly, primarily because the volt goat chaud froix is so powerful.  But the easy access to goat meat is invaluable early on.  I would spend a night killing all but one to give you 10 meat.  Add in some meat from other sources like spiders, pigs, etc and use cactus as filler and you have enough to make 4 meaty stews to last you at least 5 days (more if you choose to use the meatballs as a top off after a single meaty stew.  

41 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Builded 5 pig houses

This is great!  The faster you can get meat sources up and running the easier you will have it.  Expand that number to 10 as fast as possible and continue harvesting goats every 10 days you will be swimming in meaty stew. 

20 minutes ago, Slagger said:

-snip-

Koalefant.thumb.png.b6ad0c5579cf23639620b230b131784e.png

This is your answer to all of your hunger concerns. The koalefant will provide you with, at absolute minimum 2 and at most 4, meaty stews for you to eat. Eat two meaty stews and then just wait until you are actually starving to eat more as Warly will forget the endangered delight and thus fill your stomach again. While this is a sort of time sensitive solution, it will allow you to build up other ways to get food more consistently like mob and normal farms. While verity in your diet is always going to be good, it will be much easier just to use meaty stews til you have reached a place where you have the means to make other high hunger foods like moqueca, honey ham, or dragonfruit pie more consistently.

31 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Also most importantly I couldn't find out any "starting" perks that improve his gameplay

I mean he has some slight perks like being able to use Glowberry mousse for simple light in the ruins or being able to negate some seasonal problems, but Warly isn't  really meant for immediate, in your face perks. He consists of perks that slowly become more and more potent as time wages on, until it all comes to fruition, and you can kill fuel weaver in two minutes. He is a character built around the late game, and he rewards you for using them in the late game.

Few other things of note:

-if you focus on a boss to kill first, I suggest Bee Queen. Bundling Wraps are especially good for Warly as it allows him just to take the desired foods with him instead of also carrying all the various ingredients and crock pot to make them.

-Try to get a vegetable farm going as soon as you can. All of the vegetables help Warly way more due to their use in other desired dishes and his special dishes.

-Eating 2-3 of a dish within the same time frame should be okay if you are really trying to preserve your inventory for other things besides food, though any more then that will just be pointless as the dishes will start to barely give you any meaning full stats beyond that point.

-You can spice Jellybeans, thier power is dependent on you, but adding a buff to a really good item you were already going to use that is also unaffected by the memory is really powerful. 

4 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Eating 2-3 of a dish within the same time frame should be okay if you are really trying to preserve your inventory for other things besides food, though any more then that will just be pointless as the dishes will start to barely give you any meaning full stats beyond that point.

This is the key really.  3 meatballs, 3 bacon and eggs or 2 meaty stew in quick succession minimizes the penalty and allows you to go 2 or more days between eating.  If I am near base, I prioritize meaty stews due to lower spoilage time.  If I am going out for several days to explore or gather, then I will bring bacon and eggs do to the long spoilage time.  

kill everything in your way and the meat will rot in your inventory before you need more

for long therm use pig farms and the veggi farms and all should be ok

also,as warly, you want to kill goats often and they give 2 large meats which should help for many days

Warly isn't the best character to start a game with, but if that's the goal, here are some tips:
1) You should not make dishes such as jam, it is better to cook second meatballs. They will saturate only 10% less. The meatballs are so good that they can be consumed 4 in a row. Further it is better to do Kabobs.
2) Hunt butterflies. Butterflies can be used to make muffins (butterfly, mushroom, 2 branches) - cheap food and heal.
3) We catch frogs. Frog legs + mushroom + 2 branches = another kind of cheap food and heal.
4) Spend the first 2 Silk on a net and make 2 beehives. Honey ham, nuggets and candy are good food.
5) Honey is a very early seasoning and should be used to harvest wood.
6) Make Monster Tartare. Seriously.
7) If Butter fell into your hands (you hunt butterflies, right?), Try to get 1 fruit (pomegranate / durian / banana) and make pancakes.
8) It is better to make Guacamole from cacti (2 branches).
9) Fancy Spiralled Tubers can be made from starter potatoes (2 branches and a berry / mushroom)
10) Don't forget about Bacon_and_Eggs and Turkey Dinner (you can hunt Buzzard)
11) Glow Berry Mousse is what it is worth to quickly go down into the caves and find the glowing berries.
12) When you get the Lureplant, plant it on the Boat. Leafy Meat is an ingredient in many good dishes.

26 minutes ago, W0l0l0 said:

By the way how do you guys heal for bosses with Warly? Do you stick to salves and poultices? Can the Koalefant trunk be used for anything as Warly? 

You can still use healing dishes, its just you can only use them twice before they are useless so if you use dishes focus on the big heals like Wobster Bisque, but for the most part you will be using salves or poultices if you don't want your inventory filled with different healing dishes. If you can, Jellybeans are also an excellent alternative, and can be a decent regen on certain bosses if you're kiting them well.

6 minutes ago, Scrubsberry said:

you can only use them twice before they are useless

This is a misconception. Take pierogi as an example. First eat 40, second 36 and third is 32 health. Not much of a dropoff at three and the fourth would still provide 26 health. 
generally honey poultice is an ok substitute if jelly beans are not available, but the animation is terribly slow so if it is a fight that doesn’t give solid breaks (like dfly) then I prefer a backup source of healing like fish sticks. 

Use your hunger meter as a timer for your food countdown. 

Warly has a max hunger of 250. He also has a 20% increased hunger drain, thus bringing him to 90 hunger/day.

So, if you bring yourself to max hunger, you can wait until you loose 180 hunger (70 points) and then bring yourself back up to full. And so, you won't have to eat again until loosing 180 more hunger.

4 hours ago, Slagger said:

(...)

At The End

Now ofcourse I will survive the winter -even with meatstew- but handling food stress will not let me discover and get resources in winter. I can play with him when I have friend to play but it's really hard in singleplayer. Also most importantly I couldn't find out any "starting" perks that improve his gameplay.

I feel you. I also picked him up after not having played DST for years (before the Winona rework). So I had to learn a ton of things at once. Almost none of the following ideas/advice is mine. I also asked around and compared options until I found a way that felt right.

Portable Crockpot

One important thing for me to realize is that even though he is slow, he is also very mobile because of his crockpot. You definitely always want to carry it around. Never leave it at home until you have a sophisticated food production and possibly also bundling wraps.

With his crockpot, higher hunger and more importantly his food restrictions you're going to be slower at the start than say a Wolfgang who can just eat w/e he picks up from the ground. But at some point you'll realize that Warly picks up steam simply because he doesn't need to walk back to base to cook dishes. You find a bunch of frogs, kill them, make a couple of froggle bunwitches and meatballs on the fly while you shovel some bushes or get some logs and keep moving. Kill a beefalo for a meaty stew, or a butterfly for a butter muffin. You'll see that you can cook a powerful dish in every biome.

Early Game Strategy

Now I'm not a player who rushes bosses or the ruins in the first autumn often, specifically not on characters that don't have immediate combat advantages, because I think it's simply a waste of time, when they have perks that are more beneficial in other areas. For Warly this is getting access to spices and special ingredients.

Finding the oasis and basing there is definitely recommended. You'll have access to several static resources there that benefit Warly specifically. Then you want to get some bee boxes going (2-4 are enough) and a bird cage, grass tufts, saplings all the standard stuff as well. Honey ham is going to be a dish you want to cook regularly, very efficient, easy to make and provides high hunger. Honey seasoning is super useful as well especially while you build up your base.

Also a pretty useful thing to start in your base is a pig ranch. Start with 4-ish houses and slowly build them up with spare resources. The initial cost is hefty, but I feel like getting this going early pays off, especially on a character that wants as much meat access as possible.

Get a Beefalo

Now another thing. Before you do all of this, definitely consider taming a beefalo during your first autumn. Warly is not a character you want to take damage on, because healing him is less efficient than on most others, nor do you want to spend all your meat on ham bats, because the easiest hunger dishes require them. Getting a beefalo that early is definitely an investment but it wont slow you down as much as you'd think because it specifically covers Warly's weaknesses.

The actual hard part about beefalo taming is not the resource spending. It is getting into the right rhythm of doing things and being cautious with the buck timer. But if you start getting the hang of it you'll realize how much the beef is beneficial for Warly specifically but also makes a lot of things much easier or at least less annoying and time consuming, such as hunting down faster creatures, clearing out a killer bee area, clearing spider nests and so on.

This is a less popular thing that I personally like to do when playing Warly, but I like to get 4 Anenemys from the Lunar Island and fence off a pond near my base with the 4 Anenemys at the entrance corridor to kill frogs as they path through them; I average around 5-7 frog legs per day with minimal input if I'm in the area, and they're useful as morsels or eggs for things like Meaty Stew and Bacon and Eggs. I hope you find this somewhat useful at any rate, good luck.

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

@0rutyna0really interesting suggestions. I don’t understand this one though

Why is that? Do you just eat it along with sanity and health restoring food?

Same. I thought that recipe is for Webber/Warly combo

Ok since people alot of people are talking about meat source for warly. I might as well share my farming method I use that I call "Race War".

First find and choose an area on the map that has a lot of frog ponds or my new personal favorite an area with a lot of Tall-birds in a small area. Tall bird set piece for example is simply amazing.

Now start hammering down all the pig houses you see and plant them in your frog or tall bird area. This the of the brutality.

If you have a Wurt or someone who can play her. Have them throw in some Merm houses and now they join in the "Race War". 

You can also toss in some bunny hutches or spider nests if you want. Be careful with too bunny men or spiders though. As it will reduce or make collecting the meat a little bit harder when you run inside the bloodfest.

And you're done. You now have a self sustaining food source complete with large meats, frog legs, fish, pig skins bunny puffs and eggs.

As for Volt goat farm, There's a youtube video done by Laknish Monster.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, Slagger said:

Same. I thought that recipe is for Webber/Warly combo

Honestly I make that recipe for warly hunger since it is relatively easier for warly to heal and gain sanity over time due to his crockpot food so the stats penalty is bit that harsh to warly 

I am currently playing a Warly lightout world. Hope this help.

Best option is meaty stew. Dupe some moles, get 6 monster meat. Use 4 monster meat to hurt a werepig, then use the 2 meat and 2 monster meat to make 2 meaty stew. There you go 2 days worth of food + a pig skin for helm.

For early game healing:

1) Butter Muffin + 20 HP, 1 butterfly wing + 1 mushroom/cactus/carrot/kelp fronds + 2 twigs. This is by far the easiest for early game warly. Preserve/plant flowers at key location so you can have easy access to butterfly.

2) Trail Mix + 30 HP, (roasted birchnut + berry = 3) + 1 twigs. This one is really easy too make too. At any Moose/Goose spawn point you can find the birchnut trees and 5 berry bush. I like to keep those berry bush there.

3) Guacamole + 20 HP, 1 cactus + 1 mole + 2 twigs. Dupe some moles, drop them at the desert. Leave a hammer and crock pot there too. Anytime you pass by the desert you have easy access to the dish there. Also consider bring some cactus back home so you can make this dish at base.

4) Banana Pop +20 HP + 33 Sanity. If you know the cave/ruin well this is pretty easy to do too. I like to bring a some banana back to base when I have the inventory space.

5) Froggle Bunwich + 20 HP. 1 Frog leg + 1  mushroom/cactus/carrot + 2 twigs. Don't like killing frogs but this works too.

Once you have access to fishing rod,

1) fishsticks +40 HP = 1 Fish + 2 filler + 1 sticks. I use monster meat as fillers.

2) Surf 'n' Turf + 60HP + 50 Sanity = 3 Fish + 1 monster meat.

Also consider getting a sea fishing rod early. 

Wobster Bisque + 60 HP = 1 Wobster + 1 ice + 2 twigs. Pretty OP if you have a wobster den nearby.

About Bee box:

I don't like the idea of making bee box early. By the time you have the bee box and the base set, it is almost winter. Easier to just kill some bees/hive for 4~6 honeys. I will worry about bee box after 1st winter.

Honey Ham +30 HP = 1 honey + 1 monster meat + 2 morsel

About Monster Tartare:

Monster Tartare -20HP + 62.5 Hunger - 20 sanity = 4 monster meat or 2 monster meat + 2 ice. If you have access to a tent, this dish is pretty nice too. The tent restore 1 Sanity and 2 Health /s at a costs of 1 Hunger /s. So you gain 40~50 Hunger out of this dish.

About Spicy Chili:

This is an interesting dish. It give + 20 HP, and does not require "unique" ingredients (as in trail mix need roasted birchnut or guacamole need a mole and a cactus).

The recipes is 1.5 Meat + 1.5 Vegetables. So the minimum requirement will be something like 1 morsel + 1 monster meat + 1 carrot/cactus + 1 mushroom.

Meat is best used for other dish so it is not considered. Mole + Cactus = Guacamole so that should be cooked first. Spicy chili is pretty much the last dish you should consider.

That said if you like to take the 50% chance to gamble. You can try 2 monster meat + 1 carrot + 1 mushroom which may result in monster lasagna. This only work in normal crock pot. 

About monster lasagna 

If you are at zero hunger and this is the only food you have. The 37.5 points is enough to keep you running for another 200 secs. At a cost of - 20 HP -20 sanity it is a pretty good trade when considering the health drain at zero hunger is like -1.25 HP /s. Make sure you have at least 21 HP or else this dish can kill you.

Otherwise, as a way to "recycle" it, you can use this to substitute 1 monster meat when farming werepigs. Make sure you feed 3 monster meat first, then feed the monster lasagna after. Otherwise the pig will have full stomach and cannot finish eating all 3 monster meats and 1 monster lasagna.

Archived