DS/T Theory And Facts Thread

Lately im seeing a lot of theories about everything with the last update and we need somewhere to put it 

Any theory works doesnt it matter if you think its wrong, weird, stupid we wont judge how you think

If you have a theory please put here and lets discuss about them!

I go first: i think charlie got gestalts for the power of hitting survivors in light because she should be scared during moonstorm she is powerless at nights 

Oh boy I've been waiting for this

1. The Iron Hulk is a knockoff or prototype for the Celestial champion, given that it has very similar abilities in the lasers and rock making and infused glass, and the obvious connection to the ancients and the moon in the aporkalypse. 

2. "They" are multiple powerful elder god like creatures fighting for power over the constant, being Alter, whatever is in charge of the shadows (probably Metheus), and possibly the Gnaw. Alter and Metheus are the one's that returned.

3. Alter is a demon like Wortox, based on Wortox's quote for the moon dial saying he can see a "handsome devil" in the water. He's not talking about himself because the other characters say the water only reflects the moon.

4. Wagstaff is the person who went to the Gorge before we did. No evidence for this it just seems to me like he's the only person it could have been.

5. Metheus is the eye in the gateway, not the ancient with the torch. The one with the torch is probably the ancient Herald from Hamlet which is male and therefore can't be Metheus.

6. The Gnaw might be on the same power level as Alter, it can transform animals and it can charge up the portal. Also if the Gnaw shows up in the constant with Alter and the eye in the gateway it could make a giant face in the sky which would be amazing.

2 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

1. The Iron Hulk is a knockoff or prototype for the Celestial champion, given that it has very similar abilities in the lasers and rock making and infused glass, and the obvious connection to the ancients and the moon in the aporkalypse. 

I am unsure on this one. Alter doesn't seem like someone who'd make prototypes. He seems like someone who'd yeet a random rock at his problems, which happens to turn into a champion. And I don't think they are all that similar either, tbh

4 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

5. Metheus is the eye in the gateway, not the ancient with the torch. The one with the torch is probably the ancient Herald from Hamlet which is male and therefore can't be Metheus.

yeah that seems logical, since they seem to be polar opposites of each other, while still being rather similar. 

7 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Metheus is the eye in the gateway,

I thought that Metheus was the name of the Ancient Torchbearer.

What evidence is there to support Metheus being the name of the shadow entity?

I'm still not entirely sold on Metheus being the Shadow Entity due to the Fuelweaver's quotes.

• Curse Their name!
  • Return them to me!

• My world... threadbare.
  • My city... in tatters...
  • Please...
  • You are not Them...
  • Are you so easily deceived? Ha...
  • Metheus...

My main reasoning/confusion is the trailing sentences (...). It seems to be used primarily in relation to somber/sad dialogue which doesn't really make much sense to have that kind of 'tone' if Metheus is the Shadow Entity. The Fuelweaver literally curses "Them" out, so why go soft on his rage later when it comes to the one named 'Metheus'?

Obviously since it's all text there's no real way to identity tone, but that seems to be the pattern I see. Who knows though.

Also—

There's the interesting detail of the Fuelweaver specially cursing "Their name". Under the theory of "They" being several entities (supposing that's true), Alter would technically fall under this as well—which begs the question of why they stopped worshipping the Moon in the first place. Were they forced into the cave and forced to change their allegiance? Or did they turn to the caves because they were trying to escape Alter's influence?

Questions. Questions. Questions.

1 hour ago, DaZoul said:

And I don't think they are all that similar either, tbh

Infused moon shards that spoil into normal moon shards and infused iron that spoils into normal iron, a laser attack that uses the same animation, ground pound thing that makes rocks, being built out of a bunch of pieces that it drops after it dies, leaving a bunch of proximity traps on the ground during the fight, spawning/activating during a world event involving the full moon. My guess is the hulk was made by the ancients back when they worshipped the moon.

1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

What evidence is there to support Metheus being the name of the shadow entity?

Well I already said why I think it's not the torch guy, and I don't really see who else it could be considering the connection to Charlie and the Fuel Weaver.

8 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

which begs the question of why they stopped worshipping the Moon in the first place. Were they forced into the cave and forced to change their allegiance? Or did they turn to the caves because they were trying to escape Alter's influence?

Easy, nightmare fuel is way more useful than moon glass. If I had to chose between an axe and basically everything in the magic and ancient tabs it's kind of a no brainer.

if they wanted to avoid Alter then why build statues of the moon and paintings of them worshiping it? I think they moved to the caves to avoid summer like we do and just made the switch because there's no moonlight down there.

4 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

Infused moon shards that spoil into normal moon shards and infused iron that spoils into normal iron, a laser attack that uses the same animation, ground pound thing that makes rocks, being built out of a bunch of pieces that it drops after it dies, leaving a bunch of proximity traps on the ground during the fight, spawning/activating during a world event involving the full moon. My guess is the hulk was made by the ancients back when they worshipped the moon.

I don't think it was made by the Ancients. It looks nothing like any of their creations. They never used any iron, or anything that would make it glow green. And the laser they use was first used by Feastclops, so I just think klei liked lasers a lot. And the Hulk doesn't activate during the Aporkalypse.

i believe the best evidence of who metheus is is the video axium visus, "metheus is here".

in the video, Alter is here, Charlie is here, and the Torch is here, so metheus must be one of these right?

Metheus is definely not Alter since we know its name, so is charlie or the torch wielder (or both, as some theories suggest)

53 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

There's the interesting detail of the Fuelweaver specially cursing "Their name". Under the theory of "They" being several entities (supposing that's true), Alter would technically fall under this as well

I dont know how to say this without looking weird but maybe its just that they have no gender

Just an idea

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

You are not Them...

The capitalization is very interesting. The capitalization of a pronoun is typically only used in reference to a deity or deities. I don’t know much of the lore, but thought this is an important piece. Also wonder if the use of Them isn’t a royal reference, kinda like the royal We.

20 minutes ago, HellHeater said:

I dont know how to say this without looking weird but maybe its just that they have no gender

Just an idea

Oh yeah that was always the original theory, not weird at all. With the introduction of Alter the "They" is plural theory got popularized.

Both theories have their merits.

54 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

I don't think it was made by the Ancients. It looks nothing like any of their creations. They never used any iron, or anything that would make it glow green. And the laser they use was first used by Feastclops, so I just think klei liked lasers a lot. And the Hulk doesn't activate during the Aporkalypse.

They didn't use iron in the caves because they had access to thulecite down there. The Sentrypedes are similar to the hulk in that they can rebuild themselves from scrap and they glow blue, which isn't green but it's close. And yes the hulk is active in the aporkalypse, every piece is turned on and never turns off. 

I don't know who mentioned it in a video, might be Zeklo, might be someone else, but the Ancients are losely tied to the hamlet pig ruins since the floor has their symbol for thulecite on some tiles. Somewhat weird, since the ruins are completely pig-related (pig ghosts, pig-style treasure, pig statues) and we know that some pigs have their own use for nightmare fuel as well, but how would they use the exact same symbol for thulecite (which isnt even in the pig ruins)?

Probably just the Devs detailing the surroundings without any lore intentions though, dunno.

Metheus must be the ancient with the torch. Is simple if we take in count that metheus is similar to metheus, the one who stole the fire from gods to give it to the human kind. We can see charlie "stealing" the fire with the torch when she absorbs the gestals, also in the murals we can see hints

I dont think iron hulk has to do nothing with this. He is a robot meanwhile the champion is an ethereal being possesing altars. That they have 1 similar atack and they infuse a material that is so different doesnt mean that they are related, just that klei took ideas from a boss that all people always claim to be one of the best boss desings and fights from the dont starve franchise

Archived