Woodie Rework Idea

Introduction:

Woodie has he stands right now has now indentety, lore wise he was suposed to be a canadian lumber jack with the curse of the were beever and thats awsome, whats not awsome is the 2 "new" transformations he got moose and goose that makes him seem more like a canadian super hero.

Gameplay wise Lucy is redudent, theres no reason for him to have her in his kit, no interactions with his transformations, with wood, with nothing ! Weregoose is great and is the few things in his kit that stands out even tho lore wise it makes no sence, beever is also great but could be much better and moose is slow and lack luster both lore and gameplay wise.

So lets start out rework with his lore!

Woodie´s Reworked Lore:

Woodie is a Canadian lumberjack, the best in his country, and he lives with his wife Lucy in a forest. While he works cutting down trees, shes a housewife that mantains the house, cook, cleans, etc... and they make a living seeling the Wood Woodie cuts. When scouting people to recruit, Maxwell finds out about this great lumberjack and his love Lucy and decides to tempt/trick him into joining The Constant both due to his impressive skills that might help him build the world and his fragile part on Lucy. 

He aproches Woddie and promisses him a great job where he could cutdown trees until his hearths content and live with his wife without a care in the world but Woodie refuses saying he already got everything he ever wanted.

Frustrated, Maxwell decides to trick Lucy instead, making the same promisses he did to Woodie and she becomes flood with joy and takes maxwell´s deal getting dragdown to the constant.

When Woodie comes back he finds her being grabed by the shadow hands while she turns back with regret and extends her hand to him.

He grabed her but both got sucked in. Maxwell tought he won by bringing in 2 new companions into his world, one that could pherhaps even do his work for him, but Woodie refuses. While surrounded by a harsh world Woodie focuses on providing for Lucy and defendidng her instead of acomplishing Maxwells orders.

Full of anger, Maxwell uses his powers to turn her into an Axe and cursing Woodie, "you want to protect her so much, then use her to chop down those trees ! Refuse and you sure will lose her "

Woodie runs with the axe in hand, looking everywere for a way to fix her until his last drop of energy. Realizing theres nothing he can do Lucy talks to him to calm down, that at least they are still together, and thats when The curse comes to up ! Having passed a while since he choped a tree Woddie starts to transform into the werebeever, droping Lucy from his hand, scared he trys to pick her up but its useless, his montrous hands wont let him grip to her. Maxxwell appears once again and says, "the only way to revert the curse is to chop down the trees, so if you want to protect and be near your dear Lucy you have no choice but to work for me muahahaha " and disapears.

Woodie cuts down an entire forest and reverts back, runing to find Lucy. He hears her calls and grabs onto her, promissing he wont ever let her go again.

Now Woddie lives is daily life cuting down trees for maxwell in the constent with the fear of loosing lucy again...

Gameplay:

Reworked Lucy - Woodie will still start the game with Lucy and she will function like a normal axe, same damage, same chopping speed. Every time Woodie transforms into his curse he would drop Lucy (not the whole inventory nor the things he equips, just Lucy). When going back to normal Woodie would have 2 options, either go back and pick Lucy up or craft another Axe, heres where the rework comes in place:

Normal Axe will turn into a normal Lucy (same damage and choping speed has an Axe)

Gold Axe will double all Lucy´s stats (Double the damage and chopping speed)

Pick/Axe will allow Lucy to mine has well has double the chopping and mining speed of an axe/pickaxe (same damage has a regular axe however)

Glass Axe would make Lucy deal 68 damage to Nightmare creatures only (Woodie will lose sanity when transformed so getting her back with this perk would help him fight of shadow creatures)

Reworked Woodie - Woodie will have the same perks he now has, charm when taming, isulation beard, 1.5 chopping speed, but he will have a Wood meter. It starts off full and everytime he chops a tree the wood fills up a bit. When the meter goes down to 0 he will turn into the werebeever and will only go back to normal by chopping down trees in order to fill the meter again. In order to not nerft the werebeever choping capabilities, every action the beever can do besides chopping will drain the meter, this means beever can still chop entire forests without turning back to woodie has long has he keeps diging up the tumps has well.

Reworked Curse - The will be no longer a weregoose nor a weremoose, instead werebeever will be a super form that combines all 3.

To start besides the wood meter, woodie will also turn into beever in a full moon or by eating 2 monster foods. In this situations woodie will go back to normal once the moon passes or when the food points he gained from the monster foods are lost. While in beever form he will only drop lucy and lose acess to his inventory, he wont be able to pick things up but he will still have his hunger, sanity and health meters. In beever form both his hunger and sanity will drain so the longers he stays transformed the hungryer and crazyer he will be. Theres no way to heal while in beever form.

Beever stats- He will deal 68 damage and attack slightly faster than normal characters, will have a 1.5 movespeed and can swim, will have 240 insulation and a 90% damage reduction and will have nightvision. He will be able to chop, mine dig and hammer stuff. This way we combine the movement of the goose with the power of the moose into just one form that fits lore wise and its not that overpowered.

TL:DR

Lucy gains diferent perks depending on what axe she turns from. Woddie only has the beever transformation and only drops Lucy When he transforms, Beever will have the combine fornces of the 3 transformations he now has

What are your toghts ?

32 minutes ago, Double F said:

Gameplay wise Lucy is redudent, theres no reason for him to have her in his kit, no interactions with his transformations, with wood, with nothing !

Lucy is probably his greatest perk, specially during late game. With her chopping he has a much higher chance to summon treeguards which can be used not only to get living logs, but also to fight other mobs, recover sanity, among other things.

Also he already got his rework.

13 minutes ago, Double F said:

so did wes and he still got re-reworked, plus his rework (Woodie) sucks

No. Wes’s original April’s fools rework was not a rework, it was just a prank of the devs to us.

Woodie sucked before his rework, and now he is a very powerful , interesting and complex character. I strongly suggest you check on youtube strategies or try to see people that know how to use him right.

That said, with the most recent changes to the game it’s not like he couldn’t get a few extra changes/improvements which were suggested in another thread, such as giving him a way to prevent transformations every day during the moonstorm, or make the goose way faster than it currently is, so it can still have a purpose in the late game. 

But those changes are QOL changes, not an entire rework. About the lore we were given nearly nothing of his backstory, but Klei is well aware of this  so I believe they will add his story bits in other shorts (as they did in Walter’s)

4 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Lucy is probably his greatest perk, specially during late game. With her chopping he has a much higher chance to summon treeguards which can be used not only to get living logs, but also to fight other mobs, recover sanity, among other things.

Also he already got his rework.

Never said Lucy was bad, she just dosent fit with his kit at all + the summoning of tree guards is from Woodie not her.

I know he already got his rework

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Woodie sucked before his rework, and now he is a very powerful , interesting and complex character. I strongly suggest you check on youtube strategies or try to see people that know how to use him right.

Hes not very powerfull nor his he compllex, his kit feels slugys, both moose having slower attack speed and move speed, random transformations both with monster food and moon, Lucy having no role on his kit other than being an axe for no reason, lore wise and gameplay wise he sucks and could be much btter, 1st dst version of woodie was the best so far and even is solo ds version is better than now

Woodie is one of the best characters. Is ok if you dont like him but the truth is he is very good in many tasks

Is a pleasure to clean the ruins without using armor, light or weapons, farming tons monkeys and spiders without farm set ups,  exploring the sea without a boat or gathering materials without tools meanwhile most of the time the character has no downsides

1 hour ago, Double F said:

Hes not very powerfull nor his he compllex, his kit feels slugys, both moose having slower attack speed and move speed, random transformations both with monster food and moon, Lucy having no role on his kit other than being an axe for no reason, lore wise and gameplay wise he sucks and could be much btter, 1st dst version of woodie was the best so far and even is solo ds version is better than now

You just true combo'd so many false statements back to back.

1 hour ago, Double F said:

Hes not very powerfull nor his he compllex, his kit feels slugys, both moose having slower attack speed and move speed

With all due respect you don’t seem to understand how to use the moose correctly then.

The moose’s charge makes woodie the only character that can solo kill without structures, expensive boosts or minions, literally dozens of terrorbeaks in the ruins at once, 20+ treeguards at the same time, days of non stop frog rains, 4 spider queens and all their minions at the same time. Or even combinations of the ones mentioned above, at the same time!

The moose makes you a crowd control killing machine, at a super cheap price.

I think the biggest problem I have with this is the notion that his rework and new powers don't make sense with the lore. Return of Them is solely focused on the growing strength of the moon and lunar magic, which is where his curse came from in the first place. As the power of the moon increased, he de developed new abilities and gained more control over the curse.

As for the previous rework itself, it's what made me pick up Woodie again in the first place, and now he's my main. I understand some people's frustration with the changes, but in my experience all of his forms are useful and added more varied gameplay to the character.

5 hours ago, Double F said:

This way we combine the movement of the goose with the power of the moose into just one form that fits lore wise and its not that overpowered.

Dude how is that not Overpowered. Thats super speed, being able to go across water, attack better than a dark sword, have thulecite suit protection, and be able to harvest things probably around as fast as pigs or cave skeleton. And this would just cost 2 monster meat!?!?

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Woodie is one of the best characters. Is ok if you dont like him but the truth is he is very good in many tasks

Is a pleasure to clean the ruins without using armor, light or weapons, farming tons monkeys and spiders without farm set ups,  exploring the sea without a boat or gathering materials without tools meanwhile most of the time the character has no downsides

I like playing Woodie, how do you heal when clearing ruins with his moose form?

16 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

I want 2 things for woodie refresh:

1. Lucy deals normal axe damage. 

2. Something like a tinfoil hat that protects from full moon (would be fun if it would also work for pigs) 

Great idea!

I'd like to add:

3. Allow Magiluminecence when transformed

4. Additional utility for Lucy

5. Some sort of small downside

6. Invincibility frames while transforming (Wortox gets to have them) 

20 hours ago, Double F said:

so did wes and he still got re-reworked, plus his rework (Woodie) sucks

Am I the only one that doesn't think Woodie's rework sucked? The Woodie before was so awful and tedious to play that it completely ruined his whole "lumberjack" kind of character. With his rework, not only can he gather logs like crazy, but he also can find lunar island and crab king fast and can also become a moose damage sponge. A jack of all trades kind of character is always welcome and I think Woodie fits it quite nicely.

17 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

2. Something like a tinfoil hat that protects from full moon (would be fun if it would also work for pigs) 

It would force you to lose one (important) slot, I like the idea (not mine) of the mushcake, when eaten by woodie preventing transformations for like a day.

17 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

1. Lucy deals normal axe damage. 

Absolute yes. Or at very least, walking cane damage.

19 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

With all due respect you don’t seem to understand how to use the moose correctly then.

The moose’s charge makes woodie the only character that can solo kill without structures, expensive boosts or minions, literally dozens of terrorbeaks in the ruins at once, 20+ treeguards at the same time, days of non stop frog rains, 4 spider queens and all their minions at the same time. Or even combinations of the ones mentioned above, at the same time!

The moose makes you a crowd control killing machine, at a super cheap price.

You can do all this with Woodie?? Wtf.. Is this another one of those cases where the character performs better on PC with KB/Mouse then they Do by lining up a shot like your bowling and pressing B to charge through them with an Xbox Controller?

I Already KNOW that Teleport staffs, weather pain, Wortox & Abigail are broken AF and unfair this would just be another thing to add to that list to further make crossplay between PC & Consoles more headache then the feature would be worth., that Or I just absolutely suck with Woodie...

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You can do all this with Woodie?? Wtf.. Is this another one of those cases where the character performs better on PC with KB/Mouse then they Do by lining up a shot like your bowling and pressing B to charge through them with an Xbox Controller?

Yeah, it's definitely best case scenario, but moose can mass kill any mob that doesn't block the charge really. It actually happened to me not too long ago in the forest, all the spider queens came out at the same time along with like 4 treeguards. It does a number on your insanity but shadows are no problem (except when you transform back!) 

I'm on computer, for the record, I don't know what it's like on console, but for me you can charge in pretty much any direction. 

Archived