Gleenus

DS Mod Tools erased my entire computer (and how to reproduce)

penguin0616    1019

The mod tools should not be deleting things.. Why does it try to delete things to begin with?

@zarklord_klei Any idea?

Edit: @Gleenus Can you post the actual log file as well, instead of this copy/pasted version?

Edited by penguin0616

Gleenus    145
42 minutes ago, penguin0616 said:

The mod tools should not be deleting things.. Why does it try to delete things to begin with?

@zarklord_klei Any idea?

Edit: @Gleenus Can you post the actual log file as well, instead of this copy/pasted version?

There is no log file
Everything was deleted
The copy pasted region is only thing I can recover before it self-delete (I recovered by copying from the terminal)
Even the DS Mod Tools was deleted in the process
The entire hard disk and all partitions that my user has writing permission

And since its one shot, the only way to get it again is to erase my computer one more time
I'm trying to work on my Ph.D.

But the messages in the console are all like this, and this never finishes

zarklord_klei    3446

You either have a bug with the linux temp folder, or its a steam bug.

Edit: I realize this may sound heartless and not caring about this issue at hand, which was not my intention, what I should have said was, as this was really what was I was thinking:
We'll look into the immediately, my first guess is its a issue with the linux temp folder or its a steam bug, but whatever it is, we'll find the bug and fix it.

Edited by zarklord_klei
  • Thanks 1

Gleenus    145
21 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

You either have a bug with the linux temp folder, or its a steam bug.

My temp folder always worked and the steam also

But why the Don't Starve Mod Tools uses any kind of remove file function? Why its necessary?
If there is at least one "remove file" command in the source code it can cause that
If the coder wrote something like "Remove files from '/'+directory" and directory is nil, it would erase the entire computer

Since it only happens when I try to replace a mod picture in the Mod Tools, it should be triggering this

I never had this problem with the old version of DST Mod Tools

Aeglefire    177

Can this be tried on another linux box? To verify the problem reoccurs with the exact same steps to reproduce?

Gleenus    145
11 minutes ago, Aeglefire said:

Can this be tried on another linux box? To verify the problem reoccurs with the exact same steps to reproduce?

I don't have any other computer to try this (or time now)
I would appreciate if anyone tries that

But for don't make any sense for the Don't Starve Mod Tools erase files since its using temp folders like @zarklord_klei told us

Maybe if we can see the source code from DS Mod Tools we can map the problem, but I think its not public

zarklord_klei    3446
1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

The program cannot assume that the directory just made doesn't contain other important files.

The directory generated is named ugcuploader_<base16repr of the current millisecond> even if you tried to have a clashing name, it would still require incredibly precise timing to actually get the clash, not to mention the directory is created in the Temp folder which is intended for temporary files.

zarklord_klei    3446
23 minutes ago, Gleenus said:

Well, reading what you said looks like the thing that happened to me was an "rare event"

But you can reproduce it by installing a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 and following the steps

Since Ubuntu 20.04 is the latest LTS version of Ubuntu and Ubuntu is a very popular Linux distro, I think the DS Mod Tools code should be changed to avoid these things
Like, no one will bring back my files. The damage is permanently done to me
At least it should not happen to anyone else

DS Mod Tools is the only tool in my 8 years of Linux experience that have done that kind of damage to my computer.

We found the bug, apparently Ubuntu if given an invalid input to a delete command, it treats the input as the root dir, it was my fault for not properly adding an if check for that invalid input, but the result of that null input is incredibly surprising, and I'm incredibly sorry for the loss of any and all your files.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

CarlZalph    4849
12 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

We found the bug, apparently Ubuntu if given an invalid input to a delete command, it treats the input as the root dir, it was my fault for not properly adding an if check for that invalid input, but the result of that null input is incredibly surprising, and I'm incredibly sorry for the loss of any and all your files.

Please, take the time to delete the files it generates directly by name and not apply a bandaid fix that still uses the delete entire directory.

• Like 2

TheSkylarr    19
12 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

It's incredibly stupid ubuntu was made that way, why on earth would anyone want that to happen by default?

• Like 1

zVince    3339

I think it's fair, at least, Klei support to try to recover some important files

Marco BR    2153

@Gleenus

I am saddened by your lost data :(

But I have to say how much I'm admired for the support and agility that the entire Klei team had in solving this error so that it does not happen again and giving the necessary support...It was incredible, you are awesome, congratulations Klei :wilson_love:

Gleenus    145
8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Ph. D in what?

Biological Physics
I work with biological cell dynamics simulation (which produce tons of data to the disk)

• Like 2

YumoS    415

nothing to do with the main topic but if you guys have any important documents on your pc, always do a backup on a external hard drive or cloud.

• Health 1

Gleenus    145
7 hours ago, YumoS said:

nothing to do with the main topic but if you guys have any important documents on your pc, always do a backup on a external hard drive or cloud.

In that case, an external hard drive would be erased if it was plugged