Knowledge gathering: plant mutations

Gotta catch 'em all!

Spoiler

• Easygoing (known seeds: Bristle Blossom, Dusk Cap, Bog Bucket)
    • Minimum Radiation: +25 rads/cycle
    • Viable Temperature Range: +50%
    • Yield Amount: -25%
    • Fertilizer Usage: -50%

• Bountiful (known seeds: Meelwood, Thimble Reed)
    • Yield Amount: +100%
    • Harvest Duration: +400%
    • Light: +200 lux
    • Fertilizer Usage: +20%

• Blooming (known seeds: Meelwood)
    • Decor: +20

• Exuberant (known seeds: Dusk Cap, Meelwood)
    • Life Cycle: -75%
    • Fertilizer Usage: +50%
    • Bonus Crop: +4000g Rot Pile
    • Food Poisoning on crop: 10,000 germs
    • Darkness

• Specialized (known seeds: Bristle Blossom)
    • Viable Temperature Range: -50%
    • Yield Amount: +50%

• Superspecialized (known seeds: Meelwood)
    • Viable Temperature Range: -80%
    • Yield Amount: +100%

• Wildish (known seeds: Meelwood)
    • Fertilizer Usage: -90%
    • Life Cycle: +350%

• Juicy Fruits (known seeds: Meelwood)
    • Fertilizer Usage: +25%
    • ??Maximum OLDAGE??: -100%
    • Self-harvest On Grown

• Licey (known seeds: Meelwood)
    • Bonus Crop: +600 kcal Meal Lice

• Leafy (known seeds: Meelwood)
    • Light: +1000 lux
    • Life Cycle: -50%

7 minutes ago, nessumo said:

Gotta catch 'em all!

712800021_Screenshot2021-04-29at22_06_37.png.9cc51948ac96d467be114c4cb838285e.png

Question... When you actually get a Strange Seed, is there any kind of notification or marker? I'm not constantly paying attention to my Grubfruit farm so I'd like to know if I might miss the seed being analyzed entirely or not.

Just now, Electroely said:

When you actually get a Strange Seed, is there any kind of notification or marker?

You get a notification when a seed is analyzed like the "planetoid discovered" one to the top left (it shows a "seed analyzed" I think..)

Could I add some more mutations?

Spoiler

easygoing.png.53d7d8533ab796570fe68fc7886b55ea.png exuberant.png.cd1676a62495115ec909ec5c91c2a439.png

bountiful.png.3c702f63aa64060c71529a38b76281ae.png specialized.png.816c475dc4b89e25b4986fe923c1556b.png

6 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

You get a notification when a seed is analyzed like the "planetoid discovered" one to the top left (it shows a "seed analyzed" I think..)

You are right, I've missed that! Thank you for your contribution :)

2 hours ago, nessumo said:

Exuberant (known seeds: Dusk Cap)

• Life Cycle: -75%
  • Fertilizer Usage: +50%
  • Bonus Crop: +4000g Rot Pile
  • Food Poisoning on crop: 10,000 germs
  • Darkness

Cool so now if we want to use this we have to disinfect our food after we harvest I like it. I hope they apply germs to a few more of these plant mutations. I kinda expected slimelung to be given off by the dusk caps and food poisoning on meal wood.
Edit: Oh I see this trait can be on meal wood.

1 minute ago, nessumo said:

I guess then can be later planted wild by pip.

That would be tricky... There is no filter what seed (mutated or original) to put in a storage bin (yet..)

Spoiler

Leafy, licey, blooming, specialized, superspecialized, bountiful, easygoing, wildish Thimble reed

307600330_bloomingreed.JPG.c0e430291d67cebbdecb78e4e5d07085.JPG

Superspecialized is harsh... 28-31C growth temperature

I noticed that the Old age -100% on juicy fruits is in ? marks, which means that its use is unknown. However, I think the Old Age may be referring to how long a plant lasts before automatically dropping itself, and the -100% would get rid of all old age time, which means it would drop instantly, which is why the last bullet point says auto drop.

So I took a peek at the code. I count 10 current plant mutations.  So it looks like we have all of them. 

The only restriction on plants I see is that gas grass can't be Exuberant.  (Presumably because it's really hard to grow something that requires light and darkness)

25 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

The only restriction on plants I see is that gas grass can't be Exuberant.  (Presumably because it's really hard to grow something that requires light and darkness)

So dusk caps can be exuberant despite requiring darkness?

1 hour ago, goboking said:

So dusk caps can be exuberant despite requiring darkness?

As far as I can tell. There's code to whitelist and blacklist plants for each mutation. Currently the only blacklisted combo is exuberant on gas grass and no mutation has a white list.

While we're talking about un-implemented features. There's also a framework for multiple mutations on a plant, but the current max is set to 1. I'm hoping that limitation will be lifted.

5 minutes ago, zach123b said:

has anyone gotten a mutated plant to drop more seeds?

I think mutant seeds are produced only by original plants and there is a higher chance to produce a mutant seed when the plant is in a higher radiation environment (I haven't seen a mutant plant actually producing any seeds but maybe they do..? ). Every mutant seed needs to be analyzed in order to identify the mutation and then be used (I think an unidentified seed can't be planted). 

Also, for that reason maybe, grubfruit is weird... There is only one seed so there is no chance to "analyze" grubfruit plant seed a second time if it was analyzed as spindly grubfruit drop seed (right...?)

1061635184_seednotresearched.PNG.cd0357e543889ae74efac72e871b9402.PNG

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

I think mutant seeds are produced only by original plants and there is a higher chance to produce a mutant seed when the plant is in a higher radiation environment

Yup.  The game seems to only attempt to mutate a seed if it's unmutated and then there is a random chance proportional to the current radiation in the cell which starts at 0% when there's no radiation and is clamped to 33% for >500rads.

Relevant code:

Spoiler

private GameObject ProduceSeed(string seedId, int units = 1, bool canMutate = true)
  {

MutantPlant component3 = go.GetComponent<MutantPlant>();
      bool flag = false;
      if (canMutate && (UnityEngine.Object) component3 != (UnityEngine.Object) null && component3.IsOriginal && ((UnityEngine.Object) component2 != (UnityEngine.Object) null && component2.ShouldMutate()))
        flag = true;
      if (flag)
        component3.Mutate();
      else
        component1.CopyMutationsTo(component3);

}

public bool ShouldMutate()
  {
    int cell = Grid.PosToCell(this.gameObject);
    float num1 = Mathf.Clamp(Grid.IsValidCell(cell) ? Grid.Radiation[cell] : 0.0f, 0.0f, 500f);
    float num2 = (float) ((double) num1 / 500.0 * 0.330000013113022);
    float num3 = Random.value;
    Debug.Log((object) string.Format("Should Mutate? Rolled {0} against {1} in a cell with {2} rads: {3}", (object) num3, (object) num2, (object) num1, (object) ((double) num3 < (double) num2)), (Object) this.gameObject);
    return (double) num3 < (double) num2;
  }

Side note: Are people interested in analysis of the game code?  It feels vaguely like cheating. Maybe it would be more fun to test and discover the behavior manually?

6 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

It seems arbor seeds do'nt be affect by the system

Are seeds produced from the center or the branches? I would say 10 seeds are too little either way. It averages to 1 mutant out of 10 seeds but not from the start.

Spoiler

Production after 60 cycles in ~100-300rad environment farms (sandbox mode)

image.png.3dfd5d88526ce72b5f44915a6624a744.png (+3 in more mutant seeds in farm tiles)

image.png.1c1be97235d67a830d4b892bd7b64d88.png

image.png.129593c747ebf9b40b6f372a1ee49cd1.png(+3 more mutant seeds in farm tiles)

image.png.5a708268e2c4f446cdeac8f4346fd9c5.png(+1 more mutant seed in farm tile)

Archived