[Spaced Out! Update] - 462129

2 hours ago, crbd115 said:

As a side idea maybe mutations would change the temp requirements for plants, or even the atmosphere requirements?

New atmosphere, irrigation, fertilization, and light requirements would be cool.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

Has anyone tested whether the amount of radiation increases your chances yet?

Yup! It probably does.

Spoiler

The same thimble reed plant produced 2 mutated seeds(different ones) in less than 5 cycles
(*7 wheezeworts spawned in the same spot to produce  more rads)

image.thumb.png.4eb4e005e923d2479757a7f1ec2774eb.png

• Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

Initial Pondering:  Is it worth it to create unique artwork reflecting each individual trait?  If doing so creates a lot of work, which in turn de-incentivizes more new traits, then I'd rather mutated plants use the normal plant artwork.

19 minutes ago, goboking said:

Initial Pondering:  Is it worth it to create unique artwork reflecting each individual trait?  If doing so creates a lot of work, which in turn de-incentivizes more new traits, then I'd rather mutated plants use the normal plant artwork.

I'd say it is worth it.

There are limitless possibilities to make new mutations, you could even have random mutation generator that randomly creates new mutations for each plant (current GUI wouldn't support it well, but that could be changed in this scenario). Having many different mutations would be cool at first, but then could feel cheap. I mean - ony modder can add new mutations to the game with very little effort (I guess)

So, what is a difference between cheap "just the more the better" and KLEI's quality? Great ONI artwork! I'd rather have 2 times less mutations that feel polished to the last pixel than 10x more random meh stuff that somebody could make in their lauch break. I just lost several hours of my life trying to see how new plants look like, I wouldn't try so hard only for a few modifiers

9 minutes ago, pether said:

I'd say it is worth it.

There are limitless possibilities to make new mutations, you could even have random mutation generator that randomly creates new mutations for each plant (current GUI wouldn't support it well, but that could be changed in this scenario). Having many different mutations would be cool at first, but then could feel cheap. I mean - ony modder can add new mutations to the game with very little effort (I guess)

So, what is a difference between cheap "just the more the better" and KLEI's quality? Great ONI artwork! I'd rather have 2 times less mutations that feel polished to the last pixel than 10x more random meh stuff that somebody could make in their lauch break. I just lost several hours of my life trying to see how new plants look like, I wouldn't try so hard only for a few modifiers

Being a Civilization fan, I can't help but feel the animated and voiced leaders in Civilization 6 resulted in fewer alternative leaders being offered, so that's probably tainting my initial reaction to unique art on mutated plants.  Your counterargument is sound, though; it's the small artistic details that give this game its charm.

28 minutes ago, goboking said:

So if the mutations happen to seeds, that means no wheezewort mutations.  Do critter traps drop seeds?  I'm hoping for a variant that produces oxygen instead of hydrogen.

No, critter traps don't currently drop seeds when harvested. I hope that's changed, though.

Mutations is good idea, but for me realisation is too simple and have some not logic aspects:

1) why mutated plants need rad for grow? its not logical - it can be specific ability to use rad as feed source for specific plants but not for all mutants, only logical need for rad is secondary mutation

2) linear one level mutation - why? its more interestiing and funny to have several levels of mutation with random "skills", something standart plant + rad > level 1 seed (1 mutation)+ rad > level 2 seed (2 mutations) + rad > level 3.seed...... with random mutation on each level - in this case we have more way to selection/cultivation

and if expand something like this to critters - we can have great mutant factory with excellent variations and combos for ranching/farming

next step - something like "genetic smelter" and guided genetic engineering

Edited by Zakery

12 hours ago, crbd115 said:

Has anyone tested whether the amount of radiation increases your chances yet?

I peaked into the code:

If I understand correctly, the chance of mutation is directly proportional to radiation levels, with maximum of 33% at 500 Rads. So if you expose plant to 50 Rads you will have 3,3% chance of mutated seed

11 hours ago, goboking said:

Being a Civilization fan, I can't help but feel the animated and voiced leaders in Civilization 6 resulted in fewer alternative leaders being offered, so that's probably tainting my initial reaction to unique art on mutated plants.  Your counterargument is sound, though; it's the small artistic details that give this game its charm.

Yeah, I get you, I play civ6 a lot, too. However I couldn't play modded leaders due to visible difference in quality of graphics. I'd love as much content in any game I love, but I guess I prefer quality over quantity. Same goes for ONI. But mutations seem to have great modding potential, I wouldn't be surpirsed if there would appear mods that add 50 more of them to the game, so if you prefer this approach, I'm sure sooner or later there will be something to satisfy your nees :)

1 hour ago, Zakery said:

1) why mutated plants need rad for grow? its not logical - it can be specific ability to use rad as feed source for specific plants but not for all mutants, only logical need for rad is secondary mutation

I find it to be a great idea. Currently you needed radbolts only for research and space exploration - if your playstyle reduces the 2nd, after you unlocked whole tech tree you didn't need rads for anything. This requirement adds cool challenges to farm designing and decisions you need to take. I really love this decision and I hope KLEI will stay with it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pether said:

I find it to be a great idea. Currently you needed radbolts only for research and space exploration - if your playstyle reduces the 2nd, after you unlocked whole tech tree you didn't need rads for anything. This requirement adds cool challenges to farm designing and decisions you need to take. I really love this decision and I hope KLEI will stay with it

i think we can use more logic ways to use RAD - material conversation, advanced medicine, interplanet signal transfer etc, 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Electroely said:

No, critter traps don't currently drop seeds when harvested. I hope that's changed, though.

I've been trying to mod them to, but it seems their mechanics conflict with the component that makes plants drop seeds on harvest... and throws an exception :butterfly:

Next plan: allow the molecular forge to make saturn seeds out of plant meat. Hacky, gamey, and half-baked, sure, but my murder plant greenhouse demands such sacrifices.

Edited by MiniDeathStar
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

4 hours ago, pether said:

I peaked into the code:

If I understand correctly, the chance of mutation is directly proportional to radiation levels, with maximum of 33% at 500 Rads. So if you expose plant to 50 Rads you will have 3,3% chance of mutated seed

is it cumulative or at harvest?

I looked at the post yesterday and i cant stop thinking about your ideas, Pether having random (or just a lot of variants) of plants which would change colors elements yields diff growth ,temps, gas consumed or produced ....this is gold really, i really hope the modding community will add a lot of differents plants mutation ,imo graphical morph are cool of course but i think it could be only some colors change in the modded versions as long as they have some funky stats hehe we will see what the future bring for the game, i think in terms of differents critters morphs we are kind of served by the mod community .maybe add some rads to some morphs conditions ...radioactive pacu's would be fun 

36 minutes ago, zach123b said:

is it cumulative or at harvest?

At harvest, if you roll good random numbers to produce seed, the game checks if the seed should mutate.

It sounds like you can grow your plants in 0-rad conditions and use duplicant motion sensor to turn on radiation sources and mutate seeds. Somebody might want to test it

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pether said:

At harvest, if you roll good random numbers to produce seed, the game checks if the seed should mutate.

It sounds like you can grow your plants in 0-rad conditions and use duplicant motion sensor to turn on radiation sources and mutate seeds. Somebody might want to test it

could we... harvest a wilted plant with 1500 rads? hahaha

3 minutes ago, zach123b said:

could we... harvest a wilted plant with 1500 rads? hahaha

No need, 500 seems to be max. But yeah, try to test this scenario in sandbox mode, I believe it could work - turn on 500 Rads every time your farmer is nearby and you should get 1 mutated seed every 3 generated ;)

On 4/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Updated the Gassy Moo meteor artwork and impact animation

Are mooteors ok like that...? They seem to spawn when the game starts and not when the Moo moonlet is discovered

Spoiler

I run the game only to watch seed production in the starting planetoid. In the meantime, 60 cycle undiscovered Moo moonlet:

Amoocalypse_.thumb.PNG.594406bcd3c49f8696e972e876c47adc.PNG