Hi everyone! Sorry if it seems like I just want to argue with arguments that don't hold up, Most of my info comes from other people, as I haven't survived longer than 30 days on a fresh server. (Pathetic I know)

I know YoTB ended in march but I just started thinking about this stuff now so sorry for being a month late.

For people who don't know what these Chinese New Year events are, or don't know what the chinese Zodiacs are, here a fast rundown:

An emperor held a race for the animals, the first 12 who finished got a year in the zodiac calendar after them. The Winners are the rat, ox, tiger, bunny, dragon, snake, horse, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig.

and Since 2016/2017, Klei has been doing a Chinese new year event around Chinese New Year (I Know right?) Based on the current zodiac year. The events so far have been:

Year of the Gobbler

Year of the Varg

Year of The Pig King

Year of The Carrat

Year of the Beefalo

As you can see, Klei's already made about half the zodiac events. I will not cover year of the tiger as I have a post already about that particular event as it could prove to be more interesting. but if you wanna see my thoughts here's the link https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/66-dont-starve-together-general-discussion/?do=add. Here are my predictions for the remaining events:

Year of The Bunnyman (I mean come on, it's either this, or Year of the Rabbit.)

Year of the Dragonfly (What other mob is there for a dragon?)

Year of The Depth Worm (could be, it's snek like, suggested by @SirToastyToes)

Year of The Clockwork/Clockwork Knight/Zeb (could be, clockwork knight turns out to be horse-like)

Year of the Ewecus/Volt Goat (Some people say it was a sheep, others a goat, the goat is the most popular option I think, so I think it might be more likely YoTVG)

Year of the Splumonkey (No other monkey mob in DST, excited to see what they do with splumonkeys with this one if I'm right :P)

Year of the Catcoon (I know the cat didn't actually reach the end in the race, but if Klei wants to screw the zodiac calendar after this then go right ahead)

The Year of the snek and year of the horse were suggested possibilities for their respective events that I didn't have a clue what they'd be. If you think differently about any of these event possibilities, please suggest in the comments below.

I know that they are specifically shipwrecked content and porting shipwrecked/hamlet content to DST really needs to be done right and is rare; the snakes that can drop from trees and bushes and whatnot in shipwrecked are so cool. It'd be amazing if they were adapted to DST in some way for year of the snake. 

I mean, they will probably add a couple new monsters and friendly beasts this year that should make up for the Year of the tiger, such as the carrat that I think was added the year before its event

This also applies to the rest of animals that dont have a constant version

Yeah, someone suggested year of the clockwork knight, but wouldn't it actually be better to do year of the clockwork? and use the clockwork knight as the headliner

to give the idea it's still yoth

Wait....

You realize once all these events are over, they'll redo yotg

And I wasn't there for yotg, but I looked up yotg, and it's just 'ooh look gobblers no eat berries and flock to shrine, kill or feed for mony.'

there probably gonna update yotg if it comes back around and probably yotv too, but if they don't, seems kinda boring

Bunnyman, dragonfly, and splumonkey are the only good ones. Even assuming Klei is still updating this game many years down the line, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think they might add more fitting mobs.

On 4/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, Dragolantis said:

Maybe it's because I'm small smooth brained at the moment, but I don't see a way to implement snakes in a way that wouldn't just seem like they were adding them just for the event

You mean like carrats?

On 4/6/2021 at 3:04 PM, Cheggf said:

Bunnyman, dragonfly, and splumonkey are the only good ones. Even assuming Klei is still updating this game many years down the line, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think they might add more fitting mobs.

You mean like carrats?

fair

On 4/5/2021 at 5:31 PM, Dragolantis said:

Year of the Dragonfly (What other mob is there for a dragon?)

The salamander/mutant dragonfruit. The dragon is sometime represented as a salamander in chinese zodiac art. Also, this mob was implanted  same time with the carrat, wich both completed the zodiac mobs.

Once again, fair, but I think they might go with the Dragonfly as more people would have encountered it on accident because saladmanders are only on lunar island, which not many people new to the game have seen. I remember the first time I encountered dragonfly, Spoiler alert, I died. But people are way more likely to know that dragon especially if they played RoG. And just a personal thing, is that I kinda wanna see some How to Train Your Dragonfly stuff going on in that year. Doubt it may happen, but just something I kinda wanna see in the game, considering you can tame her babies in the form of the extra-adorable larve, and in the form of the broodling critter.

2 hours ago, Nino123 said:

The salamander/mutant dragonfruit. The dragon is sometime represented as a salamander in chinese zodiac art. Also this mob was implemented at the same time with the carrat, wich both completed the zodiac mobs.

Archived