who runs there colony like a communist

6 hours ago, babba said:

I suggested a coin stamping factory machine in the past. As alternative...One player could exchange his plastic for another players fuel ( as example ).

This dlc we get to build multiple colonies. Next dlc could create actual economy and politics. Coins made out of gold or copper as currency, later replaced by paper made out of wood or plastic. You could make treaties, exchange favours for extra resoures or dupes eventually establish trade routes, kinda like the Frostpunk dlc but with a more spacey vibe.

If you read the positive and negative traits, and fully accommodate these, whatever they may be, then you have your toe in the water for some of this phenomenon 

Some of these include biasing the order / disorder aspects of society.

Gourmet, interior decorator...uncultured, unpracticed artist, amd so on. 

The traits are there but not much emphasis is placed on the long term affects.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

This dlc we get to build multiple colonies. Next dlc could create actual economy and politics. Coins made out of gold or copper as currency, later replaced by paper made out of wood or plastic. You could make treaties, exchange favours for extra resoures or dupes eventually establish trade routes, kinda like the Frostpunk dlc but with a more spacey vibe.

That's too straight-laced for me.  This is ONI, so I'd want them to use some absurd, barely-practical form of currency.

29 minutes ago, goboking said:

That's too straight-laced for me.  This is ONI, so I'd want them to use some absurd, barely-practical form of currency.

Enriched Uranium for an enriched civilisation. 

What I've found works well is a caste system.  I build little micro colonies of 2 or 3 dupes each and I seal them in.  The farmers do nothing but farm.  They have their own dining space, bathrooms, and bedrooms.  They are locked in and can't leave.  Same thing for the ranchers.  Same thing for the cooks, and the refineries.  Conveyor rails move goods from one micro colony to the next.  Weight plates signal if they need more food or filtration medium.  What happens is that dupes are so productive in their little bubble that they're idle 60% of the time.  Then for the rest of the colony, is some haulers and some builder/diggers.  The less freedom a dupe has, the more productive that dupe is.

3 hours ago, goboking said:

Coconuts :confused:image.png.4ddfc7c726435731e1d9924fea7496d6.pngimage.png.c6f2bfc979cf617ff2168840be78a283.pngimage.png.03ec1e6cdeebcaf3d66ef9a87a240960.pngimage.png.cb645199932d27b1e461b89c83beaccb.pngimage.png.ba68cd1fc690a00b116a161836b26713.png

Coconut currency system in ONi use

2 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

What I've found works well is a caste system.  I build little micro colonies of 2 or 3 dupes each and I seal them in.  The farmers do nothing but farm.  They have their own dining space, bathrooms, and bedrooms.  They are locked in and can't leave.  Same thing for the ranchers.  Same thing for the cooks, and the refineries.  Conveyor rails move goods from one micro colony to the next.  Weight plates signal if they need more food or filtration medium.  What happens is that dupes are so productive in their little bubble that they're idle 60% of the time.  Then for the rest of the colony, is some haulers and some builder/diggers.  The less freedom a dupe has, the more productive that dupe is.

image.png.23f979696598319c37dc0d25fce6c38e.png

One of the top results is @Gurgel :beguiled::excitement:

image.png.06d429690b87acbd036fbb92b0985bb1.png

3 hours ago, goboking said:

3 hours ago, Yunru said:

Enriched Uranium for an enriched civilisation. 

Trading image.png.fddbf82ba664671cbf17872b4b9fbe47.png...forimage.png.3489d41d2f2145f9497014283ee46327.pngimage.png.3489d41d2f2145f9497014283ee46327.png+image.png.ba68cd1fc690a00b116a161836b26713.pngimage.png.ba68cd1fc690a00b116a161836b26713.pngimage.png.ba68cd1fc690a00b116a161836b26713.png

Communism not, but I though about king-slaves society. Once I build 1-dupe colony, I thought it would be challenging, but it was to simple. I build like "luxury" apartment for him, and then suddenly I got idea to make "underground-goblin-kingdom" where dupes will eat dirt and breath with polluted oxygen. But I was too lazy for it.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:29 PM, degr said:

Communism not, but I though about king-slaves society. Once I build 1-dupe colony, I thought it would be challenging, but it was to simple. I build like "luxury" apartment for him, and then suddenly I got idea to make "underground-goblin-kingdom" where dupes will eat dirt and breath with polluted oxygen. But I was too lazy for it.

For one dupe you could build a true dream land :beguiled: A bit of sims feeling in the game would be nice, with dupes forming relationships and hopping together in to their plastic bed for cuddles :confused::confused::confused:

On 4/1/2021 at 1:37 AM, camelot said:

Without players intervention

without interference from the player they will eat the Nutrient Bar they will stand in the portal and starve when it is over

they have no salary, they literally work to support themselves, all of this ordered by a larger means, call it a state or a big brother, otherwise they simply will not do anything if they are not ordered, few things they can call their own, in the general everything is shared because if everyone does not work together they will invariably end up dying

to me, it seems exactly what klei owns: an experiment, they are replicants of blade runner, they have their functions and time to expire and be replaced in their function exercises when necessary, all in a controlled testing environment and we is that we are controlling, while they think they are not

mice in a mousetrap based on John Calhoun without behavioral sink

7 minutes ago, Tytan said:

without interference from the player they will eat the Nutrient Bar they will stand in the portal and starve when it is over

Untrue. They drown themselves in their own piss first. 

(Well specifically the polluted water pushes the CO2 up, which pushes O2 up, and thus the dupes suffocate.) 

2 hours ago, Yunru said:

Untrue. They drown themselves in their own piss first. 

(Well specifically the polluted water pushes the CO2 up, which pushes O2 up, and thus the dupes suffocate.) 

It never ceases to amaze me how well designed ONI is! Try getting an effect like this one in any other game....

On 4/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, NewWorldDan said:

What happens is that dupes are so productive in their little bubble that they're idle 60% of the time.

It is more an AI thing, limited pathing. But maybe needed, not judging Klei. But from a scheduling and productive standpoint, that scenario may have a high enough opportunity cost to be wasteful. Depends on location of everything and pathing sharpness. 

8 hours ago, Tytan said:

mice in a mousetrap based on John Calhoun without behavioral sink

I may have slept on land owned by Calhoun more than most here. He did apply opportunity cost to his slaves. They were given more time off in certain times of the year than average. But it was expected they would be using that time to plant and raise food to feed themselves and retired family members. Technically, allowing slaves their own food supply and even animals was a violation of the older SC slave code. He wasn't the sort of person you argued with on slavery in SC. He felt it improved them by not allowing them to ever be idle. Reference very relevant! But also uncomfortable and ugly.

The juxtapostion brings up another thing I consider to be a great conflict in ONI's design and how my brain (Doesn't?) grasp it. Sure, I am an engineer and automater by training and trade. But the animation on the dupes is soooooooo cute, and social and human. I want to respond to them and interact. Klei's art is great here. 

Then I play with them for a while ...

... other reactions ensue. I do not like it really. Then I do not like my own reactions.

If I want to not care about my building/automation agents there is always Rimworld! or Frostpunk where it is clearly optional and a the conflict on caring or not caring a point of design. My reaction is figured into the gameplay.

Sure Oni sets up:

8 hours ago, Yunru said:

They drown themselves in their own piss first. 

... often. Why bother with cute animations on the dupes at all then? Why not go all Käthe Kollwitz like Frostpunk.

Animation makes me want to care about dupes, game play opposite. Resolving feels icky and uneasy not a part of the experience. Sometimes I feel like it is aiming to be the "Austin Powers" of survival games, but not quite pulling it off (for me, sorry if it does for others here).

@minespatch has drawn a wonderful picture of the ONI alien race "The Dork", from the "Dorken Quadrant", as they are passing by in their "Dork Cube". The "Dorken`s" may engage in offensive ONI action or trade with dupe players, regardless if the player has classified himself as "Communist" or "Capitalist".

Maybe they will more likely favour you as "Communist", as they are driven by the idea of being a collective. So maybe show up at heir home cube with 3 identical Stinkie`s or Ellie`s which look the same, to increase your chances of an friendly encounter experience and better trade bargains :confused::confused::confused:

I would love to have the "Dorken" as friend-or-foe challenge in the ONI (end)game. They could live on their own cubicle shaped space station and its up to the player if he visits them or not.

The drawing is posted here :adoration:

image.thumb.png.db8819777aed02a3ff250f853138b975.pngimage.thumb.png.d29c05597993a28edc96941c28745cb3.png

image.thumb.png.23b3109afc9bf2bfec166cea2621e8e6.pngimage.png.2daf0379953cf289a97aca889d63c2cf.pngimage.thumb.png.ee24cb8f14dcec17deae613bce29060a.png

14 hours ago, Hechicera said:

uncomfortable and ugly.

was it uncomfortable because I quoted Calhoun?
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I'm sorry, but you got it wrong xD

I was referring to the psychologist and not the former vice president

John B. Calhoun and not John C. Calhoun

B. is a psychologist specializing in human behavior, he created theories based on population and demographic density, where he used a rodents to prove his thesis in which the rats were "trained" where they had environments where they had resources at will or were deprived of them, anyway, I will not be quoting calhoun, read, it is important and relevant for today

that's why I mentioned the behavioral sink, which is the term that he coined, during his main experiment known as the utopia of rats

2 hours ago, Tytan said:

John B. Calhoun and not John C. Calhoun

I was suspicious it may be another Calhoun. Because of where and how I grew up though, C would be the implied Calhoun. And his ... permutation? on slavery was quite relevant to opportunity cost. And really the discussion on social systems and opportunity cost. His writings on slavery as a social and moral institution are well known and interesting. But I would challenge anyone in this era to read them and not feel uncomfortable.

And that led well into the cognitive dissonance I have on relating emotionally to the wonderful art of the dupes in ONI.

Communism was thrown on the table, but instead caste system was added to the pile, then your lab rats, and now my slavery. We seem to be going from "ok" to "much worse" in terms of social systems befitting dupes. :nightmare:

Which is why I ended up with "Why are they so cute if you are supposed to hate them?" ... or at least treat them as appropriate for systems in discussion in this thread. As a game design choice, why? .. unless they are to survival agents like Austin Powers is to spies!

Austin Powers...There is some lovely interior designs made by players, often Austin Powers comes to my mind looking at such wonderful Oni base decoration designs :angel: @sakura_sk @MooChiChi

BTW if we had a 3 stage multilayer cake then a dupe could pop it's head out on its birthday. :x Let dupes make love in hot plastic beds... Total Naphtha !

Archived