Using research reactor ?

I have a research reactor which now contains 8kg of enriched uranium.

It is not doing anything (maybe uranium content is too low ? but I have no indicator).

And injecting coolant result in it being spilled on the ground. Why ?

Is there a use for depleted uranium ?

20210328213332_1.jpg

20210328213328_1.jpg

You need to use it in a steam chamber sort of like an aquatuner. With steam turbines on top. Then you feed it water. The water turns into steam. The steam is sucked into the steam turbines and turned into energy. The water from the steam turbines can be fed back directly into the reactor.

Don't forget to automate the fuel input so you don't melt everything.

It also produces liquid nuclear waste. That's another reason why it works better mostly sealed off from the environment

What about radbolts ?

From my little test it looks like I need fully open path between the Radbolt Generator and for example the radbolt engine ?

I expected it to be able to go through material

1 hour ago, stgo said:

What about radbolts ?

From my little test it looks like I need fully open path between the Radbolt Generator and for example the radbolt engine ?

I expected it to be able to go through material

I'm not sure myself, but maybe you're supposed to just let the radbolt collector build up radbolts until you shut down the reactor? If the collector is disabled with automation wires, it'll still collect radbolts but it won't fire them.

I think the question was about radbolt routing. If you seal off your reactor in a steam chamber you can't get the bolts to research stations or rockets. 

You could build a petroleum liquid lock and route the bolts through there maybe. Nuclear waste is also a good radiation source and can be transported to some degree.

10 hours ago, Steve8 said:

You need to use it in a steam chamber sort of like an aquatuner. With steam turbines on top. Then you feed it water. The water turns into steam. The steam is sucked into the steam turbines and turned into energy. The water from the steam turbines can be fed back directly into the reactor.

Don't forget to automate the fuel input so you don't melt everything.

It also produces liquid nuclear waste. That's another reason why it works better mostly sealed off from the environment

HI, about fuel input - its explode if have no fuel? How we can stop it without explosion?

I am trying this build for my research reactor:

7BAE675CCFF63273A242DF3EDC4B03587E7ED9B9

The goal is to get enought radbolt for research then i will pump the liquid nuclear waste near my rockets to generate radbolts for rockets and interplanetary launcher

12 hours ago, Electroely said:

I'm not sure myself, but maybe you're supposed to just let the radbolt collector build up radbolts until you shut down the reactor? If the collector is disabled with automation wires, it'll still collect radbolts but it won't fire them.

I'm thinking about radbolt engine. To fill it up I need to send radbolt to it.

So I need a direct path which is in contradiction with the need to hold the reactor in a room.

Maybe we need some radbolt-bridges to cross over walls ? @Ipsquiggle What is on your mind regarding this ?

32 minutes ago, stgo said:

I'm thinking about radbolt engine. To fill it up I need to send radbolt to it.

So I need a direct path which is in contradiction with the need to hold the reactor in a room.

Maybe we need some radbolt-bridges to cross over walls ? @Ipsquiggle What is on your mind regarding this ?

Radiation permeates through walls. 

Radbolts don't, but that just means you need the collectors on the other side. 

6 hours ago, Zakery said:

HI, about fuel input - its explode if have no fuel? How we can stop it without explosion?

The reactor produces a ridiculous amount of heat. Maybe I'm missing something, but to me it seems you need to give the steam turbines time to delete it. In my tests the steam temperature just kept rising and the steam turbines constantly ran at full. So I added a temperature sensor and only added new fuel at lower temperatures.

42 minutes ago, Steve8 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but to me it seems you need to give the steam turbines time to delete it.

That is correct, but the reason is not the heat itself. Reactor doesn't care about it's temperature. It does care about two things: the coolant and ability to vent steam. If steam pressure is higher than 150kg, reactor would get "Gas Vent Overpressure" warning and would eventually explode if pressure isn't lowered.

You can sap heat from the steam using a device that limits the temp going to your turbines. The doors open and close dynamically according to the automation to keep the steam at or below 198 C. The steam in that chamber is isolated from the reactor, so it'll keep running no matter what. The reactor takes 6kg/s of water so you need 3 secondary turbines to absorb the steam once it's been cooled, or 4 if you want the flow to split and be distributed evenly.
unknown.png

On 3/30/2021 at 12:41 AM, n_t_p said:

You can sap heat from the steam using a device that limits the temp going to your turbines. The doors open and close dynamically according to the automation to keep the steam at or below 198 C. The steam in that chamber is isolated from the reactor, so it'll keep running no matter what. The reactor takes 6kg/s of water so you need 3 secondary turbines to absorb the steam once it's been cooled, or 4 if you want the flow to split and be distributed evenly.
unknown.png

I've just finished you're setup in my game and it works like charm, thanks ! :)

centrale.thumb.png.ce3bf4c1c2a22ccbe46447e14c888b97.png

The green background is the skin from the biome, it's full vaccum/steam.

16 hours ago, SamLogan said:

I've just finished you're setup in my game and it works like charm, thanks ! :)

The green background is the skin from the biome, it's full vaccum/steam.

That's hella cool, but my design was really just a proof of concept. It's legit the first reactor I designed. Be sure and add an auto-shutoff for pressure and low water. If either the water runs dry or the pressure gets too high it will explode, and I didn't really take any precautions because I was in debug. Also the doors in the middle don't really do anything, not sure what I was thinking on that one. It should run fine as long as you don't push it past like 90% uptime.

Judging from the pump in the nuclear waste output I assume you're either cooling it or you have space mats. It will come out hot enough to overheat steel fyi. It has lots of heat that you can use for power if you're careful.

Here's the updated version. Only gets the nuclear waste down to 240 or so, that's a pretty important part of a reactor but for reference here it is:
image.thumb.png.470ddb36a41b2bc6bc6810ea5bef26ee.png

Try it out -> Dump.sav

That's a drip pump on the side to scoop the nuclear waste even if you only have steel. After it's in the pipes and goes through the steam room it should be cool enough to pump directly. Lots of sensors all over the place to scram the reactor

Archived