QOL: Why reeds still not in regrowth table yet?

I play alot in dedicated server, include klei server, and they commonly got griefed that the griefer burn all reeds in the world just so player cant farm them anymore.
Why reeds was so unrenewable?
Everything else already changed to renewable in multiplayer, or atleast, can be relocated, even Bull Kelp can be relocated to safety with trident.
If you worry about reed regrow too much in one place, maybe you can make that if reeds burn, it leave behind a spawn spot and can regrow when certain condition met.
Right now there are no way to counter griefers burn reeds.

I don’t know, but I think they should make them renewable buuuuutttt only in caves & in a pretty difficult to reach location (such as in a biome attached near Ruins/Ancient Guardian)

I mean.. dark, damp, moist caves sounds like a reasonable place for reeds to grow naturally.

Maybe there should be a mechanic in place that verifies at certain intervals if Reeds are present in their respective biomes (Marsh, Cave Swamp, Moon archipelago) corresponding to what numbers were spawned on world's generation; and if a certain low-ball number/low interval is detected, will regen them in respective biomes - let's say said regen interval be 20-40 days or at start of each new in-game year (perhaps in Spring). But yes, there should also be a Reeds renewability mechanism.

13 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Maybe there should be a mechanic in place that verifies at certain intervals if Reeds are present in their respective biomes (Marsh, Cave Swamp, Moon archipelago) corresponding to what numbers were spawned on world's generation; and if a certain low-ball number/low interval is detected, will regen them in respective biomes - let's say said regen interval be 20-40 days or at start of each new in-game year (perhaps in Spring). But yes, there should also be a Reeds renewability mechanism.

I also strongly feel like proper care and management of your worlds (making sure resources & wildlife don’t go completely extinct) should play a very large part into an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game- 

Or ANY Survival game that wants to hold any claim to being an actual Survival game & you can’t really call a game where the resources continue to renew themselves a survival game.

But that’s why there should be different modes of play- maybe on Survival they DONT renew on their own, but on Endless they could.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

I also strongly feel like proper care and management of your worlds (making sure resources & wildlife don’t go completely extinct) should play a very large part into an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game- 

Im fine if wildfire burn reed and they become unrenewable, that my fold.
But im not fine if griefer visit the world, burn all reeds and we have unrenewable reeds.

So the public world I was play on, got targeted by a griefer again, who burnt the surface swamp, cave swamp and lunar swamp

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Or ANY Survival game that wants to hold any claim to being an actual Survival game & you can’t really call a game where the resources continue to renew themselves a survival game.

But that’s why there should be different modes of play- maybe on Survival they DONT renew on their own, but on Endless they could.

Please teach me, how in a public uncompromising world, am I supposed to guard against griefer who burn the reeds? Am I supposed to be 24/7 following the other 7 players around, to watch if they are burning the reeds? If I am wurt or wickerbottom, how should i be playing in this uncompromising world where the reeds have been burnt?

21 minutes ago, blizstorm said:

So the public world I was play on, got targeted by a griefer again, who burnt the surface swamp, cave swamp and lunar swamp

Please teach me, how in a public uncompromising world, am I supposed to guard against griefer who burn the reeds? Am I supposed to be 24/7 following the other 7 players around, to watch if they are burning the reeds? If I am wurt or wickerbottom, how should i be playing in this uncompromising world where the reeds have been burnt?

Obvious answer is obvious- by playing a mode where they re-grow, otherwise: Having a Mode where they DON’T Regrow isn’t going to kill anyone either.

Survival-Endless.

49 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Obvious answer is obvious- by playing a mode where they re-grow, otherwise: Having a Mode where they DON’T Regrow isn’t going to kill anyone either.

Survival-Endless.

im pretty sure reeds don't grow in endless

and even if so they shouldn't have to suffer because some griefer came in and burned the reeds thats not their fault so why should they have to suffer because of that?

the answer is they shouldn't 

• Developer

While reeds regrowing is something to consider for the future, this QoL update was taking existing systems, and adding options for them, not adding a new system(which reeds would need), so this kinda thing while possible in the future, will not be happening this QoL update.

5 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

While reeds regrowing is something to consider for the future, this QoL update was taking existing systems, and adding options for them, not adding a new system(which reeds would need), so this kinda thing while possible in the future, will not be happening this QoL update.

How about using the regrowthmanager component? regrowthmanager would be an existing system

Not exactly the same thing but I love the suggestion about adding the cartography desk a function where you can recycle extra figure sketches, advents and blueprints into papyrus, as an alternative way of attaining papyrus. Additionally, a new item; eraser can be added, for erasing mini signs and signs, as well as turning blueprints, figure sketches and advents into papyrus.

7 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Not exactly the same thing but I love the suggestion about adding the cartography desk a function where you can recycle extra figure sketches, advents and blueprints into papyrus, as an alternative way of attaining papyrus.

I'll take "Features I Didn't Know I Needed" for 500$.

I am 100% in support of reeds being added to world regrowth and/or alternative ways to get reeds, but just so you know you can still get reeds from the underground swamps if a griefer burns the aboveground ones since they usually don't burn the underground ones. But even if they burn all the reeds above and belowground you can still technically get them from tumbleweeds, but it's very slow to do.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:12 AM, SinancoTheBest said:

Not exactly the same thing but I love the suggestion about adding the cartography desk a function where you can recycle extra figure sketches, advents and blueprints into papyrus, as an alternative way of attaining papyrus. Additionally, a new item; eraser can be added, for erasing mini signs and signs, as well as turning blueprints, figure sketches and advents into papyrus.

This really is a great idea, you always have those sketches in excess, while at the same time you never have too much reeds.

On 3/1/2021 at 12:13 AM, Cheggf said:

I am 100% in support of reeds being added to world regrowth and/or alternative ways to get reeds, but just so you know you can still get reeds from the underground swamps if a griefer burns the aboveground ones since they usually don't burn the underground ones. But even if they burn all the reeds above and belowground you can still technically get them from tumbleweeds, but it's very slow to do.

maybe you are new when it come to these griefers. they are pros, they literally map out the world, have 3 different account, one stay in lunar, one stay in swamp, and one stay in cave. Then, they burn all 3 biomes in the same day when there lowest player count time in the day to make sure noone noticed that reeds are burnt.
Only way to farm paper after that is abuse player character change, by changing to wicker you constantly getting 2 paper per change, and one change cost 1 purple gem + 1 moon rock, consider both of them can be farmed.

I know this pain, I've had to replant the reeds several times as admin of my server.  There are some mods out there though that can prevent people from burning them in the first place (like Camp Security).  Until Klei decides to do something about this (like maybe them being fireproof since they naturally grow in a VERY WET environment), then this mod is your next best bet.

Archived