New player confused about overheating.

I’ve been playing as Webber and we have just started don’t starve, on day like 10ish I start overheating massively and just die. It’s happened like 4 times, I’ve tried shaving and endothermic fires, I’ve even restarted my game and stuff. Is this like a bug or am I doing something wrong.

4 hours ago, Mini_Melk said:

I’ve been playing as Webber and we have just started don’t starve, on day like 10ish I start overheating massively and just die. It’s happened like 4 times, I’ve tried shaving and endothermic fires, I’ve even restarted my game and stuff. Is this like a bug or am I doing something wrong.

Do you have farms/farmplots with some suspicious things looking like this?

image.png.48b41c96920b7b677de987a2bc3c7d3b.png

You gotta build a few heating stones (10 rocks , 1 pickaxe , in the survival tab.) Then rotate them out from a icebox when needed as they start to get warm.

Cannot build either icebox or the heat stone until you have made an Alchemy machine though. Pine trees will shade you also and there is always the caves too.

...but why is this happening on Day TEN?  Did this person start in spring, with a very _short_ spring, and it's summer by Day 10?  Also the endo fires really SHOULD be working.  The whole _point_ is that they cool you down. 

Mini_Melk, are you using any mods?  If so which ones?

I'm'a say, that with the information we currently have, that at the moment it does sound kinda bug-ish.  Or maybe a mod is going wrong.

...Notorious

They mentioned shaving and even using endo fires, so no.

It could be the nettles, which I did not know about until now and now I'm worried about running into their heat aura if they grow in my garden in summer...  (I haven't actually farmed since the "Reap What You Sow" update dropped.  The new system confusees and intimidates me.  :()

But we don't know if this person's even been farming at all, yet, so...

...Notorious

1 hour ago, ZeRoboButler said:

if you have a beard you might be overheating due to that or too many heat sources near by

A beard doesn't increase body temperature by nature, it only gives negative heat insulation during Summer (deducts your total heat insulation by how long your beard is).

Too many heat sources are still possible, though.

I’m just going to ask the obvious questions: are you playing the game on default settings or are you playing on custom settings?

And if you ARE playing on Custom Settings, are you playing with Random Season Starts & Season Lengths or even “Short” Season lengths? 

If your answer to that is Yes: Then Short seasons last roughly 5 in game days so by day 10 you should’ve gone through both Autumn & Winter & now be in Spring.

If your playing on Random- you could have started the first few days out in autumn/spring & now be headed into Summer.

If none of the above: were you attacked by fire hounds? Have fire nettles growing in your garden?, wearing too much clothing?, fully fuel your campfire into a raging Inferno & standing beside it? Or did you happen to base near Dragonfly’s Lava pools?

Just in case the random overheating at the 10th day isn't the problem, here is some info about overheating.

If you just want some tips to survive overheating on early game:
-Craft a thermal stone (alchemy engine needed), they heat or freeze with firepits and keep you warm during winter or cool during summer and they are cheap and easy to do, just make sure to frequently freezed it or it will break at 0% durability. With this you can survive the whole summer if you do it well.
-Craft some cheap clothes to stay cool: straw hat and/or pretty parasol help a bit or go for an Umbrella.
-You can cool a bit under a tree.

There is more but I want to keep it simple. GL and Don't Starve.

Man. People beat me too the punch. Using my big brain of knowledge there are only like 3 possible problems that COULD be causing this.

1. Touching too many Fire Nettles. I know I poked one ONCE during Autumn and started to overheat. 
  2. You are literally inside a fire. Not a firepit, an actual fire. (Which is unlikely)
  3. You accidentally picked Summer.

My guess is fire nettles. My advice? Watch a farming video before you delve into farming. 

If you are still struggling here is some stuff for Summer.

• Pretty Parasol (Handheld)
  • Summer Frest, and the other better one.
  • Whirly Fan (This one is actually very useful)
  • Thermal Stone (Put in a fridge of course)
  • Trees. They provide good shade.

I'm pretty positive that if you have a Whirly Fan, a Straw Hat, and you are jumping tree to tree, you won't overheat during summer. Well. Anywho...... Good luck!

Sincerely,

Cactus

I mean, I use random season lengths all the time and even _I_ haven't had Day 10 summer.  It still starts on autumn...
(There was that one time I decided to randomise my starting season in regular Don't Starve and got a summer start, but that's an entirely different game!  Also somehow I lived.)

What we really need now, is for the original poster to come back and tell us the answers to ALL these questions.  Seasons, clothing, fire nettles, mods.  We really don't know, so we're kinda spitting random maybe-solutions into the void.  : P

(also umbrellas are good for summer as well as spring)

...Notorious

9 hours ago, ZeRoboButler said:

if you have a beard you might be overheating due to that or too many heat sources near by

That is incorrect, beards do not overheat you. To overheat on day 10 you either need to set it to a summer start (although you'd overheat before day 10) or have external things in the environment heat you up. The only likely culprit is fire nettles, because off the top of my head the only other way to overheat on day 10 is to do something like stack multiple firepits or dwarf stars, which someone would not be confused about why that's overheating them, it's very intentional at that point.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

A couple of foods do, but I don't think they can overheat you on their own.

if you are fairly warm they can, it is very temporary but i had to eat one to make room while i was already fairly warm and i got the scorch overlay on my screen for a few moments. regardless though it sounds like a bug to me, spring is 15 days so summer overheating isnt the issue and if they are so new they likely don't have access to a lot of the things that could overheat them, unless they were like wearing a beef hat and eating chili or hanging out in the dragonfly desert i cannot imagine them overheating on accident

28 minutes ago, gaymime said:

if you are fairly warm they can, it is very temporary but i had to eat one to make room while i was already fairly warm and i got the scorch overlay on my screen for a few moments. regardless though it sounds like a bug to me, spring is 15 days so summer overheating isnt the issue and if they are so new they likely don't have access to a lot of the things that could overheat them, unless they were like wearing a beef hat and eating chili or hanging out in the dragonfly desert i cannot imagine them overheating on accident

It's going to be mystery until they will answer us and I'm afraid it will never happen. :wilson_resigned: Let's hope, it was just fire nettle.

5 hours ago, JustCrimson said:

They probably figured it out and don't care enough and or forgot to reply

This entire thread has just turned into ghost hunting this guy's problem. (Even though he probably doesn't care anymore) It's honestly quite entertaining. 

OP: Me catch fire die:

Literally Everyone Else: HMM INTERESTING.......

Sincerely, 

Quite Intrigued Cactus

19 hours ago, Cheggf said:

That is incorrect, beards do not overheat you. To overheat on day 10 you either need to set it to a summer start (although you'd overheat before day 10) or have external things in the environment heat you up. The only likely culprit is fire nettles, because off the top of my head the only other way to overheat on day 10 is to do something like stack multiple firepits or dwarf stars, which someone would not be confused about why that's overheating them, it's very intentional at that point.

They do give you positive insulation. I'm not completely entirely sure where the beard resides on the tier list of warmth items. (Tier 1, 2, or 3) 

Tier 1:

I know Cat Cap, Rabbit Earmuffs, Breezy Vest, and Dapper Vest are tier 1 (60 insulation),

Tier 2:

Tam o' Shanter, and Winter cap are 2 (120 insulation) 

Tier 3:

Beefalo Hat, Hibernation Vest, and Puffy Vest are 3 (240 insulation)

So the Beard is just slightly off of the tier list of Insulation.

Stage 1 Of Beard Growth:

15 Insulation

Stage 2 Of Beard Growth: 

45 Insulation

Stage 3 Of Beard Growth:

135 Insulation

I also learned a little fun fact by doing some research. Apparently each insulation point is one second. Interesting....... After YEARS of me playing I JUST learned it. Welp. I have absolutely no idea why I typed this. Just felt like it. I'm going to post it into unknown mechanics for the heck of it.

16 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

They do give you positive insulation. I'm not completely entirely sure where the beard resides on the tier list of warmth items. (Tier 1, 2, or 3) 

I know Winter Hat is tier 1, Tam o' Shanter is 2, and Beefalo Hat is 3, but beard probably scales with each stage of growth. 

Anyway, yes. The beard can overheat you if you have too many other heat thing'a'majigs' heating you at once.

Beards overheat you if you stand next to a bunch of roaring fires with a beard? Well then beards also heal you if you eat pierogis while having one grown.

Archived