New player confused about overheating.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Beards overheat you if you stand next to a bunch of roaring fires with a beard? Well then beards also heal you if you eat pierogis while having one grown.

They help overhead you faster. If we want to use crappy metaphors, then 4 spiders will kill you faster than 3. The 4th spider is the beard.

25 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

They help overhead you faster.

This isn’t quite the case. Having insulation items that work in the opposite season will not make you more susceptible to the season’s temperature. An easy way of testing this is to equip a beefalo hat + puffy vest and another combo without any insulation items at all during the summer, and both will result in overheating at the exact same rate (one might be slightly faster then the other, but that’s because of the ambient temperature fluctuation).

The reason as to why is because clothing loses all insulation properties it’s supposed to protect against past a certain temperature range. For instance, if you equip an eyebrella and the ambient temperature is below 35, the overheating protection is voided completely. The same is true for winter items. If you are a bit confused on it, I highly recommend using this steam guide, which helped me quite a bit in understanding how it works.

Now, there is actually one key exception to this rule: characters that can grow a beard. While it won’t make you overheat faster without items, it actually takes away insulation from items that have it. If you are Woodie and have a straw hat on, for instance, the effective insulation goes from 60 to 15. This isn’t much of an issue for Wilson/Webber since you can shave the beard easily, but Woodie does have a bit of a penalty during summer as a result.

1 hour ago, RoughCactus69 said:

They help overhead you faster. If we want to use crappy metaphors, then 4 spiders will kill you faster than 3. The 4th spider is the beard.

You dropped this:

Sincerely, 

Annoyed Cactus

Anyways, one guy pointed out warm insulation is ignored on cold seasons which are Spring and Winter. Its entirely possible that the beard helped overheat the guy in autumn. 

Edit: Its backwards

Maybe he came too close to a few lava ponds and the beard kept him from cooling down quickly.

Edit 2: Lava pond idea is still valid as a source of overheating.

1 hour ago, RoughCactus69 said:

They don't help overheat you faster because they do not add to your heat even remotely. Stop lying for no reason.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They don't help overheat you faster because they do not add to your heat even remotely. Stop lying for no reason.

The other two already stated how I was wrong in a respectful way, and pointed out HOW I was wrong. I'm not lying, because I didn't know. Don't be rude.

Sincerely,

Annoyed Cactus

Oh yeah- OP did you catch a suspicious looking fish that looked like a Sun?

Did you stand beside a fire with a Thermal stone in your inventory? 

Believe it or not those things CAN actually overheat you, they’re main use is to keep you warm in Winter/Spring so using them in Autumn or Especially summer- Will Overheat you.

But then again: I don’t play the game on default settings anymore so my point of view is probably invalidated.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Oh yeah- OP did you catch a suspicious looking fish that looked like a Sun?

Did you stand beside a fire with a Thermal stone in your inventory? 

Believe it or not those things CAN actually overheat you, they’re main use is to keep you warm in Winter/Spring so using them in Autumn or Especially summer- Will Overheat you.

But then again: I don’t play the game on default settings anymore so my point of view is probably invalidated.

@Mike23Ua - you're right, they could still overheat you even in winter.

I think thermal stone was the case.

Putting thermal stone in backpack will directly increase your temperature(even in gray state), and if it is glowing red, it can go over 70 degrees, which means it will overheat you.

That means you should put your stone in your character's 'direct inventory' if you want to stay 'cooler' when holding stone.

Holding stone in backpack when in winter could stay more warm because of bonus temperature, but it will stand only very few seconds more as temperature will quickly go down I guess.

When in summer, it is strongly advised to put stone in your inventory not backpack because of this.

Archived