Passive Farming - Reap What You Sow Update

Okay, I finally figured out a way to effectively automate farming.  The RWYS update frustrated me a lot because it made farming an incredibly frustrating task that required a lot of time and attention to get decent rewards from.  So, finally, I have created a method for farming massive amounts of food while only having to interact with your crops when you plant them, and then you can just walk away until its time to harvest.

Benefits of this method:
+ One-time interaction with crops until harvest
+ No unwanted spawns of Lord of the Fruitflies
+ All crops grown are giant
+ Very simple, and can be done in the caves

Negatives:
- Does not grow large numbers of crops, so yield is smaller than mega farms
- Requires a little pre-planning (fertilizing the ground 1 time, killing 1 Lord of the Fruitflies)
- Can only grow a limited set of crops, not all crops
- Requires rotating crops
- Cannot be scaled up, already at maximum efficiency

Ok, now, to the method:

Make sure to spawn a Lord of the Fruitflies, kill it, and get the Friendly Fruit Fly Fruit.

The Friendly Fruit Fly Fruit needs to be placed on the ground for this to be passive, but he has a limited range and moves slowly.
He can reach 2 tiles North, South, East and West of him and 1 tile diagonally. Because of this, we are only going to use 4 tiles total for farming.
Imagine a 3x3 tic-tac-toe board.  Place the Friendly Fruit Fly Fruit in the center of the board, and then dig up the 4 corners of the board with Rigamajigs.

Then you will need to fertilize each tile to 100 on all three fertilizers one time.  Do this however you want.

Now, we will start with how to do this in Autumn and go season by season.  

Autumn:

Dig up 6 seed holes in each garden plot.
Plant 6 Corn Seeds on each garden plot and water 4 times.
You can now walk away because the plot has all the nutrients it needs, will be tended by the fruit fly, and will only drop to 22 Wetness at the most when the Giant Crops finish growing. 

Now, when you go collect your Giant Crops 3, the compost level is down to 4.  We need to get that back up, and we will do it with rotating crops.

So now, you will dig 6 seed holes in each garden plot again.
Then plant 6 Potato Seeds on each garden plot and water 4 times again.
Once again, walk away for 3 days and return to collect you 24 Giant Potatoes.
The Manure level is down to 4 on each plot now, but the Compost is back up to 52.

So, once more, dig 6 seed holes in each garden.
But this time you will plant 6 Carrots in each (and water each garden 4 times).
Walk away for 3 days, return, collect your 24 Giant Carrots.
Now the plots are each at 4 Growth Formula, 52 Manure, and 100 Compost.

So, start over with a new set of Corn Seeds and keep repeating this process until Autumn is over.

Winter:

In Winter we will be using Asparagus instead of Corn, as we are after Giant Crops and you can't grow Giant Crops out of season.

So, lets assume our last crop of Autumn was Carrots, and continue the process.

The first crop of winter will be 6 Asparagus Seeds in each garden plot with each plot watered 4 times.
Leave for 3 days, return and collect your 24 Giant Aspargus.

Then plant Potatoes, and after Potatoes you will plant Carrots, after Carrots you plant Asparagus again, and...well you get the idea.

Spring:

In Spring, we are back to Corn, Potatoes, and Carrots.
Keep repeating the rotation until Summer

Summer:

Ok, Summer is the curveball.  Here we have to change the gameplan as the previous rotations don't work and most Summer crops consume huge amounts of water, and we want to avoid those crops.

In Summer we will be growing Corn, Dragonfruit, and Pomegranates.

So, let assume your last crop of Spring was Potatoes.  Your Manure in each garden is only at 4, Compost is 52, and Growth Formula is 100.

We need to now dig up 8 seed holes in each garden plot and plant 4 Corn seeds and 4 Pomegranate Seeds in each.
Water each plot 4 times and walk away for 3 days.  When you return and collect your 32 Giant Crops, the gardens wil be at 0 Wetness.  Thats okay because only a few of the plants will have gotten 1 stress point, which means you still get Giant Crops.
The Growth Formula in each is now at 4, Compost is 52 still, and Manure is at 100.

So now you will again dig 8 seed holes, but this time you will plant 4 Corn Seeds and 4 Dragonfruit Seeds.  Water each garden 4 times, and walk away.
When you return for the harvest, the numbers will have flipped.  Manure is back at 4, Compost at 52, and Growth Formula is at 100.

So now you plant 4 Corn and 4 Pomegranates again, then 4 Corn and 4 Dragonfruit, etc. until the end of Summer.

When the next Autumn begins, start by planting Carrots if the last crop of Summer was Dragonfruit, or plant Potatoes if the last crop was Pomegranates.

Ta Dah!  A 100% passive Giant Crop farming setup that never requires additional fertilizers, extra watering, or fighting the Lord of the Fruit Flies.

Extra Tidbits:

Potatoes can be swapped out for Eggplants in Spring and Autumn
Carrots can be swapped out for Pumpkins in Autumn and Winter
Dragonfruit can be swapped out for Peppers in Summer
Pomegranates can be swapped out for Onions in Summer
Garlic and Durians suck, but if you want to grow them you can in Spring with a 4 Carrots / 4 Durian(or Garlic), then 4 Carrots / 4 Dragonfruit
Watermelon and Tomatoes suck because they drink water like crazy, when you're already losing 24 wetness a day in Summer from evaporation.  Grow 8 of them on their own plots and use stacks of 5 Ice to water them passively if you really want them.

If you don't want to fertilize everything to max the first time, just fertilize each garden with 13 Rot, 7 Manure, and preferably 1 Growth Formula Starter.  Then plant Corn as your first crop.  This is the poor man's method of getting this farming method started.

EDIT: Thanks to @QuartzBeam for explaining this method of exiling the Lord of the Fruitflies.  "You can exile the Lord of the Fruit Flies indefinitely, simply by spawning him at some remote spot and leaving him there. His Lordship will categorically refuse to go further than 8 or so tiles from his spawn point and will instantly drop aggro and return "home" if he goes that far. And since there can only be one Lord of the Fruit Flies at any time, that "protects" every other farm plot you make from uninvited nobility."

This allows my method to be used on all 8 tiles around the fruit fly fruit, thus doubling the yield.  I found that if you try to expand to all 12 tiles the friendly fruit fly can reach, he does not get around fast enough to tend all the plants, so I would suggest sticking to a maximum of 8 plots if you have exiled the Lord of the Fruit Flies elsewhere.

TLDR:

Put fruit fly fruit in middle of tile and dig 4 farm plots in the four diagonal tiles
Fertilize each plot to max
Water each garden to max when planting
In Autumn plant 6 carrots, then 6 potatoes, then 6 corn, then repeat
In Winter swap out Corn for Asparagus
In Spring, back to Corn
In Summer, Plant 4 Corn and 4 Dragonfruit together, then 4 Corn and 4 Pomegranates together, then back to Corn/Dragonfruit, etc.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Doesn't the fruit fly stop working when it's offscreen?

Still technically automated, just need a body present at base. Since farms feed multiple people (Even as wormwood I don't bother because it will all just rot and I already have tons of rot) they can rotate duties at base. 

I love that the new update encourages communication among friends for better yields. Gives newer players something to do and allows them to feel like they're contributing.

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Still technically automated, just need a body present at base. Since farms feed multiple people (Even as wormwood I don't bother because it will all just rot and I already have tons of rot) they can rotate duties at base. 

It is the opposite of automated. You need to hoe all the ground, plant all the seeds, water all the ground, fertilize all the ground, and sit near it constantly. If you got rid of five of those five things you need to do then it'd be "technically automated", but as it stands right now this is putting in considerably more effort than just farming with crop combos. You're trading remembering what a crop combo is with spending a bunch of time getting fertilizer... and still remembering just as much information as crop combos because you need to cycle the plants out for nutrients. Plus you're only getting 6-8 crops per tile instead of 8-9.

This is exactly the same as normal farming except you're just using fertilizer instead of crop combos. The closest there is to "passive" or "automated" farming is planting everything then tapping the one man band so they're happy enough to give you 1 crop + 1 seed.

10 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It is the opposite of automated. You need to hoe all the ground, plant all the seeds, water all the ground, fertilize all the ground, and sit near it constantly. If you got rid of five of those five things you need to do then it'd be "technically automated", but as it stands right now this is putting in considerably more effort than just farming with crop combos. You're trading remembering what a crop combo is with spending a bunch of time getting fertilizer... and still remembering just as much information as crop combos because you need to cycle the plants out for nutrients.

Plus you're only getting 6-8 crops per tile instead of 8-9.

I would say is simplified than automated... But... kinda... If somebody has rubbish memory that system makes is easier.

9 minutes ago, Notecja said:

I would say is simplified than automated... But... kinda... If somebody has rubbish memory that system makes is easier.

I don't see how remembering 3 crops per season is any more difficult than remembering 3 crops per season. In fact, most of the crops that he's having you plant combo with eachother so if you just planted them together you'd accomplish the same thing without needing fertilizer.

Just now, Cheggf said:

I don't see how remembering 3 crops per season is any more difficult than remembering 3 crops per season. If anything it's less difficult since you can keep using the same planting formation over and over again instead of cycling it from 6 to 8.

That's you. Remember other people may consider it as easier. For crops I'm using sheet with list of crops, every time I read it and still I can't remember anything except potatao.

1 minute ago, Notecja said:

That's you. Remember other people may consider it as easier. For crops I'm using sheet with list of crops, every time I read it and still I can't remember anything except potatao.

How could anyone consider remembering to plant corn, carrots, and potatoes more difficult than remembering to plant corn, carrots, and potatoes? It is literally the exact same thing. He is telling you to do the same thing in a different order.

It is the opposite of automated. You need to hoe all the ground, plant all the seeds, water all the ground, fertilize all the ground, and sit near it constantly. If you got rid of five of those five things you need to do then it'd be "technically automated", but as it stands right now this is putting in considerably more effort than just farming with crop combos. You're trading remembering what a crop combo is with spending a bunch of time getting fertilizer... and still remembering just as much information as crop combos because you need to cycle the plants out for nutrients. Plus you're only getting 6-8 crops per tile instead of 8-9.

This is exactly the same as normal farming except you're just using fertilizer instead of crop combos. The closest there is to "passive" or "automated" farming is planting everything then tapping the one man band so they're happy enough to give you 1 crop + 1 seed.

Those "crop combos" you are referencing require frequent watering to get giant crops, and do not even exist in winter.  Those crop combos require you be Wormwood, or else you have to talk to every plant at every stage as well to get Giant Crops, and often if you do get Giant Crops you spawn a Lord of the Fruitflies.

So, lets compare your crop combos to what im saying point by point for what you have said.

"You need to hoe all the ground", yup, and you have to hoe the ground for crop combos as well, and usually you are hoeing a lot more in crop combos.

"Plant all the seeds", yup, and you got to plant all the seeds in crop combos as well

"Water all the ground", yup, one time.  In crop combos you must water 1 time on the first stage, 2 times on the second stage, 1 time on the 3rd stage, and 1 time on the fourth stage.  Water five times minimum over 2.5-8 days (depending on if your crop combos are in season).  I'd rather water once and be done.  My method has a huge upside here.

"Fertilize all the ground", yup, 1 time ever, and you can do it cheaply with 52 Rot and 28 Manure, which most people gather in their first 10 days easy, but not ever fertilizing is better, so crop combos are better here.

"Sit near it constantly", you can be 2 screens away and the fruit fly still works.  When I play with friends there is always 1 person handling the base (chopping trees, collecting supplies from the various farms, cooking and storing food, etc.)  This method works wonderfully for a team that has a primary base tender without wasting almost any of his time.  This does not work well for solo play, sure.  But solo crop combos do not produce Giant Crops either as the crops get stressed when no player tends them.

I don't mind if you don't like the method.  But I dislike that almost every complaint you levy against this method is actually worse when doing crop combos, and you act like crop combos are developing Giant Crops with little effort and tending, which is absolutely untrue.  In fact, to get the same yield as my setup using crop combos, but not talking to all the crops all the time, and constantly watering, you need to plant 72 seed crop combos, or 9 garden plots of 8 crops each during Autumn, Winter, and Spring.  Just the amount of time you are spending Hoeing, Planting, and Watering a little is more than a spend for a whole crop cycle.  And in Summer you would need to plant 96 seeds of crop combos, or 12 garden plots of 8 crops each.

The difference in work is staggering.

How could anyone consider remembering to plant corn, carrots, and potatoes more difficult than remembering to plant corn, carrots, and potatoes? It is literally the exact same thing. He is telling you to do the same thing in a different order.

I don't see how remembering 3 crops per season is any more difficult than remembering 3 crops per season. In fact, most of the crops that he's having you plant combo with eachother so if you just planted them together you'd accomplish the same thing without needing fertilizer.

See, this is simply duplicitous.  You cannot plant 4 of each on a single tile and get giant crops. If you plant more than 10, thats 4 stress per crop for overcrowding.   Sure, you can plant 3 of each on each tile.  But now you are not getting Giant Crops.  And thats 4 stress for lack of family.  And are you talking to your crops each stage?  If not, thats another 4 stress.  Are you Making sure they have sufficient water each stage?  If not, thats gonna be 2-4 Stress as well.

Now you will have high stress plants that take 4 days (in Season) to grow instead of 2.5, and no giant crops.  So your method in Autumn, Winter, and Spring requires planting literally 3 times more than my method each harvest cycle, but your cycle takes 4 days to grow, and mine takes 2.5 days.  So, to get the same yield rate as my setup, you would have to plant 4.8 times as many crops.  I dont know about you, but I think planting 100+ crops is a lot more work than planting 24.

But, if you are not going to be staying near your farm (aka base tending), then yes, crop combos are better.  No argument there.  But, as I said in my previous post, if you have someone who maintains the base for your team, this method saves that person an incredible amount of time.

9 hours ago, Hutch687 said:

Those "crop combos" you are referencing require frequent watering to get giant crops

No they don't.

and do not even exist in winter

Also wrong.

Those crop combos require you be Wormwood, or else you have to talk to every plant at every stage as well to get Giant Crops, and often if you do get Giant Crops you spawn a Lord of the Fruitflies.

How does any of that not apply to your method?

See, this is simply duplicitous.

That's exactly what I think of when I see your entire comment. A combination of blatant lies and weird things that don't matter such as your next point.

You cannot plant 4 of each on a single tile and get giant crops.

So? Why does that matter? Also that's once again not true, you can plant 4 on each tile and pair them with another 4 of a different crop and get giant crops. Or, if you really want to only use half of the tile for some reason, you can plant combinations of 2+2 crops and get 4 on each tile.

And are you talking to your crops each stage?

Once again being disingenuous and pretending like that only applies to combos and not your weird thing as well.

Now you will have high stress plants that take 4 days (in Season) to grow instead of 2.5, and no giant crops.  So your method in Autumn, Winter, and Spring requires planting literally 3 times more than my method each harvest cycle, but your cycle takes 4 days to grow, and mine takes 2.5 days.  So, to get the same yield rate as my setup, you would have to plant 4.8 times as many crops.

7 incorrect statements back to back. Have you ever even tried farming with crop combos before making this weird guide? Where are you getting all of this information from? Why are the plants so pissed off? Is it because you're intentionally having the plants be happy and watered for the fertilizer method and intentionally having them be neglected for the crop combos just so you can lie and say your method is better?

But, if you are not going to be staying near your farm (aka base tending), then yes, crop combos are better.  No argument there.  But, as I said in my previous post, if you have someone who maintains the base for your team, this method saves that person an incredible amount of time.

As explained in my post this method adds an incredible amount of time because it's exactly the same thing you can do with crop combos except instead of putting in the same amount of work, you're putting in the same amount of work and also spending time gathering and applying fertilizer.

6 hours ago, Cheggf said:

No they don't.

Also wrong.

How does any of that not apply to your method?

That's exactly what I think of when I see your entire comment. A combination of blatant lies and weird things that don't matter such as your next point.

So? Why does that matter? Also that's once again not true, you can plant 4 on each tile and pair them with another 4 of a different crop and get giant crops. Or, if you really want to only use half of the tile for some reason, you can plant combinations of 2+2 crops and get 4 on each tile.

Once again being disingenuous and pretending like that only applies to combos and not your weird thing as well.

7 incorrect statements back to back. Have you ever even tried farming with crop combos before making this weird guide? Where are you getting all of this information from? Why are the plants so pissed off? Is it because you're intentionally having the plants be happy and watered for the fertilizer method and intentionally having them be neglected for the crop combos just so you can lie and say your method is better?

As explained in my post this method adds an incredible amount of time because it's exactly the same thing you can do with crop combos except instead of putting in the same amount of work, you're putting in the same amount of work and also spending time gathering and applying fertilizer.

Alright Cheggf, I posted my entire method.  Its easy for you to stand back and claim your method is better when you haven't posted your method.  

So, I want you to list your crop combos, per tile, in each season.  Go for it.  No matter what "combo" you list, its either going to be heavy watering, or 3 sets of 4 crops on each tile (which overcrowds them), or 3 sets of 3 crops (which causes them to get stress from lack of family).

So, go on.  Post your crop combos so they can be scrutinized as well, instead of being vague and constantly saying your method magically makes giant crops with zero stress.

Right now you are like someone claiming that current methods of generating electricity are all bad because you know how to produce infinite electricity, but you refuse to publish the patent.

Edit: Also, quit taking my statements out of context, it makes you look like a jerk unnecessarily.  When I stated that you can't plant 4 of each crop on a tile and get giant crops, that was in reference to your statement of planting 3 different crops on one tile, which was literally in your statement that I quoted.  I wasn't referencing 4+4 combos like Eggplant/Tomatoes because I was referencing the triple crop combos you were talking about.

In regards to farming, we do have an excellent thread about how it works, as well as what crops combos can work for each season, since you can actually change your layout depending on which crops you want.

However, this method apparently does not work 100% of the time without the snapping till mod that allows for perfect placement of farm layout and get the family bonus.

I myself after I learned the theory, I just check the plant nutrient/season list with the hat and decide what I want on the spot, since I still haven't memorized a rotation I'm satisfied with, and can get giant crops just by watering a a bit.

17 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

In regards to farming, we do have an excellent thread about how it works, as well as what crops combos can work for each season, since you can actually change your layout depending on which crops you want.

However, this method apparently does not work 100% of the time without the snapping till mod that allows for perfect placement of farm layout and get the family bonus.

I myself after I learned the theory, I just check the plant nutrient/season list with the hat and decide what I want on the spot, since I still haven't memorized a rotation I'm satisfied with, and can get giant crops just by watering a a bit.

It was actually this very guide that inspired me to create a new method.  For anyone who enjoys farming and tending the crops a lot, that guide is a goldmine.

I just found myself frustrated with how often many of the combos required frequent watering, extremely precise tilling (using on-edge seed holes to allow a crop on one tile to be counted as family for a crop on another tile), and always spawning a Lord of the Fruitflies (which I personally hate having to fight every 20 days).  Also, I found remembering the crops and layouts difficult so I always had to have the guide up for quick reference while playing which frustrated me as well.

But those are all personal gripes with that system.  If you are after massive yields of giant crops, the methods outlined there are the best there are in my opinion.  I created my method because I wanted a much more "hands-off" approach to farming giant crops and had not found one.

6 hours ago, Hutch687 said:

always spawning a Lord of the Fruitflies (which I personally hate having to fight every 20 days)

You can exile the Lord of the Fruit Flies indefinitely, simply by spawning him at some remote spot and leaving him there. His Lordship will categorically refuse to go further than 8 or so tiles from his spawn point and will instantly drop aggro and return "home" if he goes that far. And since there can only be one Lord of the Fruit Flies at any time, that "protects" every other farm plot you make from uninvited nobility.

Spoiler

when people don’t realize they can ignore most of the plant stressors and still get returns 3x of the old farming system

Giant crops are optional. I like to grow them because I find it to be fun and rewarding for me. Normal crops are also rewarding. Find what works for you in this flexible system.

On 2/15/2021 at 11:36 AM, Hutch687 said:

"Water all the ground", yup, one time.  In crop combos you must water 1 time on the first stage, 2 times on the second stage, 1 time on the 3rd stage, and 1 time on the fourth stage.  Water five times minimum over 2.5-8 days (depending on if your crop combos are in season).  I'd rather water once and be done.  My method has a huge upside here.

Oh, yeah, this bit.

First of all, the pattern is wrong. I should know, I came up with it. :P The second stage does not need 2 waterings, just one. So it's just 1 watering per stage. Also, I think you misunderstood the "water once per stage" strat.

One watering per stage is not the universal minimum. It is the worst case scenario. It is how much you need to water a plot of 9-10 toma roots on the Constant's hottest summer to make them all giant. The idea is that if it works in the worst case scenario, then it works in every other scenario as well, so I don't have to bother paying attention to each plant's individual moisture drain and factoring in the world temp drain, blah blah blah.

So while this strat works for every combination of 10 plants in any season, it is not necessarily "optimal". For example, 3 Asparagus + 3 Carrots + 3 Potatoes in winter can be watered 4 times in the first stage and then left alone, if I recall correctly.

And it's definitely not for everyone, of course. Personally, I prefer the one man band to the friendly fruit fly and I even use fertilizer instead of crop combos (blasphemy I know), which means I'm gonna be babysitting my giant-crops-to-be anyway, so I might as well spend a few seconds per stage to water them.

Also, the "giant" part is very important. Giant crops grow the fastest, which means they need the least time on wet soil. I haven't actually bothered to test, but it's very likely that watering only once per stage won't meet the moisture requirements of a non-giant crop, let alone an off-season one.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:36 AM, Hutch687 said:

Now you will have high stress plants that take 4 days (in Season) to grow instead of 2.5, and no giant crops.

Oh interesting. I had no idea that stress affected crop growth speed; thought it was determined by seasonal preference. Or am I reading this wrong?

25 minutes ago, JazzyGames said:

Oh interesting. I had no idea that stress affected crop growth speed; thought it was determined by seasonal preference. Or am I reading this wrong?

Assuming the plants are off-season:

The Seed Stage lasts a random number between 6 and 8 minutes. Nothing you can do about that.

When the plant transitions from seed to sprout, it does a bunch of checks and accumulates 1 stress for every factor you failed to take into account during the seed stage. The more stress it accumulates in this particular transition, the longer the sprout stage will last.

The same goes when transitioning from sprout to small, from small to medium and, finally, from medium to grown/giant. I don't have the formulas on this, but sprout, small and medium combined take anywhere between 4 and 7 days. No stress = 4 days. Max stress = 7 days. Taking into account that the seed stage needs roughly 1 day on its own, that means off-season plants take between 5 and 8 seasons in total.

On top of this, in-season crops will grow twice as fast, resulting in 2.5-4 days of growth total. Not including night time, of course. (Random seeds have a special seed stage that is "in season" during Autumn and Spring.)

Only thing I'm not quite sure about is whether season also factors into the "4-7 days" calculation. Like, is it possible to get an off-season crop to grow in 4 days (nights not included), or would that require 0 stress, which can only be achieved in season?

6 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

In Season crops grow in 2.5 Days with low stress (Giant Crops), and 4 days with high stress.

Out of Season crops grow in 5 days with low stress (still not able to be giant though), and 8 days with high stress.

The only caveat I have found is that an in Season crop with less than 4 stress will grow in about 3 days if it only accumulates 2-5 stress, and most the stress is in the last two growth stages.  Basically, if a crop gets stress early on, its slows down its growth from that point on, which only increases the likelihood of it getting stressed again (due to water evaporation, nutrients not being returned to the soil at the right time for crop combos, etc)

On 2/15/2021 at 5:55 PM, themightyone said:

I really miss the old farms. 

I'm with you on that. I started back up playing and when I saw I couldn't make a farm plot I was confused. The old farms were simple and hassle free. Collect all the items you needed also collect some extra manure. Make your farm plots and that's it. In a couple days you get your crops. Hopefully the first one is a pumpkin then you can make scarecrow. That's all that was required for farming. I liked the part where you couldn't grow in the winter, it was realistic. They should have added the compost bin, gardening hat, and the watering can to the old farms. There wasn't anything wrong with farming

Archived