Passive Farming - Reap What You Sow Update

21 hours ago, Kyriena said:

I'm with you on that. I started back up playing and when I saw I couldn't make a farm plot I was confused. The old farms were simple and hassle free. Collect all the items you needed also collect some extra manure. Make your farm plots and that's it. In a couple days you get your crops. Hopefully the first one is a pumpkin then you can make scarecrow. That's all that was required for farming. I liked the part where you couldn't grow in the winter, it was realistic. They should have added the compost bin, gardening hat, and the watering can to the old farms. There wasn't anything wrong with farming

I'm with you . I dont even mind they reworked a lot of farm stuff , just let us build the old farms if we want as an option . I don't care to spend as much time around my base farming .  A lot of people like the update and that's fine , just wish they had left at least advanced farms as an option for those who don't want to spend so much of their time farming. At least my older worlds still have theirs .

Crop Combo's are most definitely the most time efficient and least time consuming way of farming. For sure it beats out constantly fertilizing rotating crops of single types of veggie/fruit.

You don't have to remember anything.... look at the amazing guide on these forums posted above written by Quartzbeam. All I did was figure out what crops I wanted each season that paired together to self fertilize. I then bundle wrap the different combos into different wraps that I know the order of (in order of season). Any time I want to farm in a particular season I open the appropriate bundle and plant the appropriate combos. Friendly Fruit Fly talks to the crops when I'm in base and I try to water them when I can. I pretty much never use fertilizer except for rare times when I'm overflowing with poop, rot, guano etc and I just dump a bunch of random ones into my farms. I consistently get giant crops without having to fertilise, without having to really remember anything (except for when I have a 3 crop combo and a 2 crop combo for a season which I make sure have an overlapping item but its really not hard to remember that tomato and potato go together and the other two crops go with potato on the other side of my farm) and without having to do that much work. You get multiple types of veggie/fruit at a time and you dont have to either collect or apply fertilizer, I can't see any other method beating out crop combos unless farming receives further changes.

1 hour ago, themightyone said:

I'm with you . I dont even mind they reworked a lot of farm stuff , just let us build the old farms if we want as an option . I don't care to spend as much time around my base farming .  A lot of people like the update and that's fine , just wish they had left at least advanced farms as an option for those who don't want to spend so much of their time farming. At least my older worlds still have theirs .

Sadly I don't have my older worlds. I know PC players can use mods to get the farms back but sadly I'm on PS4.If people like the update thats good but it would have been nice for them to leave the other farms for players to use wanted. Plus the new farm plots are kind of ugly.

Hello there
Very nice guild really, I'm saying that as who knows this but I never saw somebody who explains "crop combos but not in a single time farming" that means you are doing crop combos but with a bigger cycle with up to 4 plants.
I found out how to use ice for automation last night but seems you're a bit faster :D
Anyway, let's get to the point
1.As we have ice for automation we can simply farm with our old crop combos like we did in the rain and plant up to 9 per tile and that still needs no time during the growth as well
2.For getting started in your method, you can use no fertilizers(52 Rot and 28 Manure), by planting 12 Carrots/Pumpkins (6 Onions/Pomegranates) as this will do the same job, at a cost 25 default growth formula that will regain by starting with Corns and Potatoes
3.That is a great point that we can swap between every plant that shares in season by changing the number 3 or 6
I mean we can plant 3 Garlic/Durian instead of 6 Asparagus/Corn if some one doesn't like them, Or do the same job with Carrots and Onions/Pomegranates, and anything else that shares in "type" of using fertilizes and there is no need to have same "number".

The point that people forget about farming so often is this that every plant produces fertilizers not only their low stress version, that means we can do all the job you said, and if we just want Potatoes to become giant crops, we can run the cycle but as we have no business with Carrots/Corns leave them behind to get our 1 seed back, and our Potatoes will be still happy. This is crazy in this cycle as we just need watering Carrots/Corns with our very cheap watering can but this explains that we can simply plant 6 Tomaroots , leaving them because of their crazy water cost and then we have our fertilizers for 6 Potatoes or 3 Dragon Fruits.

I'm very glad to see some farming lover getting into the science as I'm trying to the same :)
Thanks for reading everyone

4 hours ago, Matin45 said:

Hello there
Very nice guild really, I'm saying that as who knows this but I never saw somebody who explains "crop combos but not in a single time farming" that means you are doing crop combos but with a bigger cycle with up to 4 plants.
I found out how to use ice for automation last night but seems you're a bit faster :D
Anyway, let's get to the point
1.As we have ice for automation we can simply farm with our old crop combos like we did in the rain and plant up to 9 per tile and that still needs no time during the growth as well
2.For getting started in your method, you can use no fertilizers(52 Rot and 28 Manure), by planting 12 Carrots/Pumpkins (6 Onions/Pomegranates) as this will do the same job, at a cost 25 default growth formula that will regain by starting with Corns and Potatoes
3.That is a great point that we can swap between every plant that shares in season by changing the number 3 or 6
I mean we can plant 3 Garlic/Durian instead of 6 Asparagus/Corn if some one doesn't like them, Or do the same job with Carrots and Onions/Pomegranates, and anything else that shares in "type" of using fertilizes and there is no need to have same "number".

The point that people forget about farming so often is this that every plant produces fertilizers not only their low stress version, that means we can do all the job you said, and if we just want Potatoes to become giant crops, we can run the cycle but as we have no business with Carrots/Corns leave them behind to get our 1 seed back, and our Potatoes will be still happy. This is crazy in this cycle as we just need watering Carrots/Corns with our very cheap watering can but this explains that we can simply plant 6 Tomaroots , leaving them because of their crazy water cost and then we have our fertilizers for 6 Potatoes or 3 Dragon Fruits.

I'm very glad to see some farming lover getting into the science as I'm trying to the same :)
Thanks for reading everyone

I tried this, but on a new plot, there weren't enough nutrients to get the Tomatoes to redeposit enough fertilizer to start the cycle.  A plant only deposits nutrients each growth stage if there were enough nutrients for its growth stage.  So I found that planting 6 Tomatoes quickly ran out of Growth Formula and Compost before getting the plot up to 100 Manure.  And for my method you need 1 plot to be at 0/50/100 of the different nutrients to begin the cycle.

Did I miss something?  If your method can get mine started without the use of any fertilizers that would be awesome, and could you explain it in a bit more detail to I can add it to the original post?

On 3/1/2021 at 12:47 PM, Hutch687 said:

I tried this, but on a new plot, there weren't enough nutrients to get the Tomatoes to redeposit enough fertilizer to start the cycle.  A plant only deposits nutrients each growth stage if there were enough nutrients for its growth stage.  So I found that planting 6 Tomatoes quickly ran out of Growth Formula and Compost before getting the plot up to 100 Manure.  And for my method you need 1 plot to be at 0/50/100 of the different nutrients to begin the cycle.

Did I miss something?  If your method can get mine started without the use of any fertilizers that would be awesome, and could you explain it in a bit more detail to I can add it to the original post?

Before anything sorry I didn't checked forums for a while, And about the question, I just checked that plants do "Transform" or "Produce" nutrients and seems they produce it, I checked with planting 6 tomaroots in a default plot and after them 6 potatoes and it just worked.
You said they transform nutrients, did you checked it, read it somewhere or just it's the way you think? Because I tried with console and may be it doesn't work in normal way, anyway, it needs to get checked again. I suggest you to do that before adding to your post for peace of mind.

Edit: After my second check I found out that as you said they redeposit or transform nutrients, sorry about wrong information

Archived