Would you want fossil portal traps to be removed?

Would you want fossil portal traps to be removed?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want fossil portal traps to be removed?

• YES
    • NO

Today when hosting my server a new player joined and he spawned outside the fossil trap. Pretty big one, 20 fossil. I don't know if this is a bug or a feature, but I know the devs are looking into methods to combat griefing. But if it's a feature, I will never host my world to the public if I care about it enough, whoever hosted long term worlds to the public probably understands this, It's currently the best way to filter out players you don't want. I play on console so I would doubt they already implemented this feature, it's more likely to be a bug but it got me thinking.

Is this portal trap something you generally think of a griefing tool or a protection tool, because for me it's definitely the latter?

edit: If I knew how to add a poll, I would have. edit 2: I did.

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

In the roadmap you can see the new world setting that will include portal protection

I'm not sure what griefer spawn protection includes. I'm fine with it being an option for hosted servers and a feature on pubs. But I don't want it to be a feature on hosted servers :) .

4 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I'm not sure what griefer spawn protection includes. I'm fine with it being an option for hosted servers and a feature on pubs. But I don't want it to be a feature on hosted servers :) .

I guess it will include fossil protection

Also, it won be by default, is toggeable so if you host a game and dont want it you can turn it off

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I guess it will include fossil protection

Also, it won be by default, is toggeable so if you host a game and dont want it you can turn it off

Yeah you're right i totally forgot it was a togglable option in the roadmap, I just panicked because of what happened in my world. All shall be fine.

I remember joining a server where the portal was filled with anemones (?). I was playing Wortox, so I was fine, but another player joined later and was killed instantly.

All the spawn traps are a form of griefieng. If you want certain amount of players on your server, set a limit, if you don't host the the server you don't have any say in the matter.

8 minutes ago, BezKa said:

I remember joining a server where the portal was filled with anemones (?). I was playing Wortox, so I was fine, but another player joined later and was killed instantly.

All the spawn traps are a form of griefieng. If you want certain amount of players on your server, set a limit, if you don't host the the server you don't have any say in the matter.

it was never about the amount of players, but about the quality. Anyway yes, I was mistaken, it will clearly be a togglable option and it's only a griefing tool on pubs.

9 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

it was never about the amount of players, but about the quality. Anyway yes, I was mistaken, it will clearly be a togglable option and it's only a griefing tool on pubs.

I don't know what quality check are you performing with traps. Keeping out inexperienced players is rude of itself. 

I've never made one and I don't think I've ever seen one on Klei servers so I don't have much of an opinion about them. But the screenshot that was shown in the roadmap post showed a world gen option "Griefer spawn protection" or something along those lines, so I think if it did get "removed" it would only be if that world gen option was set to do so. 

two things; first, yikes! that is a really bad look you are sporting there. second i'd like for fossils to still be walls that mobs cannot pass through or break so on a technicality that means fossils could still be used as traps.

have you considered a random num&let password?

I have enough experience to know that I don't want my many hours spend building stuff ruined by randoms, I think it's pretty easy to understand if you've ever invested a lot of time in a world. I write in the description all you need to know about the server, but a lot of people don't read it/are griefers/are kids who I do not want doing random stuff. I mostly let out anyone who uses chat or mic and is friendly, regardless of experience. I've helped plenty of inexperienced players, I enjoy doing that and I have nothing against them, you have missed my point.

The reason I let randoms in is because I've met a lot of friends and good players i've learned things from this way, and I myself like to join worlds for inspiration, so I try to provide the same for others. And slightly brag as well. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong or mean, I just value my time.

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

I don't want my many hours spend building stuff ruined by randoms

then why do you make you server public in first place? what's a fossil portal trap anyway. if its fossils planted by you, then players can just hammer them and exit

1 minute ago, Parusoid said:

then why do you make you server public in first place? what's a fossil portal trap anyway

it is when you make a ring of planted fossil pieces around portal so that people who spawn in cannot leave spawn. you need a hammer to break a planted fossil

1 minute ago, gaymime said:

it is when you make a ring of planted fossil pieces around portal so that people who spawn in cannot leave spawn. you need a hammer to break a planted fossil

hammer is not neccesity, any giant or weremoose can break it too

14 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

then why do you make you server public in first place? what's a fossil portal trap anyway. if its fossils planted by you, then players can just hammer them and exit

I actually said why in the exact same post you quoted, you can go read it again for your answer. Players don't spawn with a hammer.

3 hours ago, BeeClops said:

How about those who have worse internet connection but are git gut players?

2 hours ago, gaymime said:

two things; first, yikes! that is a really bad look you are sporting there. second i'd like for fossils to still be walls that mobs cannot pass through or break so on a technicality that means fossils could still be used as traps.

have you considered a random num&let password?

Yeah. You are right. Sadly, I have had issues in the past. One where private games and pass worded servers wouldn't allow my friends to join. I had to do public. So extra people would join that I just had to kick. Felt bad, but had no choice. :/

Sincerely,

Cactus

Frankly if I for one spawn on some random server and the first thing I found is any kind of Florid Postern trap (more-so, types that insta-kill players like Tentacles), that just makes me resent owner/admin/player with most in-game days there and slips into my mind griefing thoughts even if I never have done such detrimental actions anywhere. In case you genuinely want a compromise between having random players popping into your world for whatever reason and still building an elaborate nice base, do respective macro-camp in places secured from 99% of potential destructive newbies/noobs and griefers: Moon Isle(s), Pearl's Island, deep in Caves shard, for example into a Cave Swamp, Wilds biome, entrance of Labyrinth, Ancient Archive or Atrium. This way you will vent peeps without instilling a belligerent atmosphere right from start.

Also yes, any kind of traps needs to go via said Spawn Griefing Protection: On/Off, On as a Default - for Fossils my anti-griefer suggestion would be to make them dismantlable through punching (similar to Walls), let's say 3-5 punches so to still keep 1-hit Hammer action for efficiency/utility when doing Skeletons.

Archived