From my experience, these are how I would rate the plants that come from the dirt and into our fridge. Remember this is my opinion, so it is automatically better than yours, but you can tell me your grievances in the comment section anyways.

Carrot: 2 Stars: Ah, the classic carrot. It's not really impressive in its own merit when you're looking to increase stats, but it's abundant in the world. You're able to instantly get carrot seeds  by plucking carrots in the world and feed it to the bird for immediate farming use, meaning that you get a controlled crop output instantly, albeit with an okay crop. Otherwise, they're good for making those bunnyman houses which are harder to make thanks to the nerfs.

Corn: 3 Stars: Corn restores 25 hunger when eaten raw, which is pretty good by its own merit. It can also be cooked to create popcorn, which restores less hunger, but takes longer to rot. (15 days). Corn is also essential to make powdercake, an infinitely-lasting food that can be used as bait for farms or to apply spices on to be used when needed, albeit with a -3hp penalty.

Potato: 5 Stars: A cooked potato will restore 20 HP and 25 Hunger, already surpassing the other crops we talked about earlier, and if you're playing Wolfgang that hunger increases to 40. Additionally, it is used for several great crock pot recipes like Creamy Potato Puree, Spiraled Tubers, and Nightmare Pie. Did I mention that this little guy is extremely common, grows quickly, and can grow in all seasons except Summer, and requires the easiest nutrient to grow? (Manure). I find myself planting this crop very often.

Toma Root: 4 Stars: While not as potent as a potato when cooked, Toma Roots are still used in a ton of great recipes such as Vegetable Stinger, Salsa Fresca, and Warly's Moqueca. It's also a crafting recipe for Wigfrid's Rude Interlude, and can be preserved a bit longer cooked than raw. Also, it has unique nutrient requirements, making it great for pairing giant crops.

Asparagus: 3 Stars: Asparagus is the Compost crop you grow for Winter. It restores 25 hunger when cooked over a fire, comparable to the three mentioned plants above. Otherwise, it can be a substitute for the Toma Root to make Vegetable Stinger and can make Warly's Asparagazpacho for murdering idiots in winter cooling down in the Summer, though you better have a plan to preserve it because this one spoils quickly.

Eggplant: 1 Star: "Mom, can we have potato?" "No, we have potato at home." "Potato at home:"

Eggplant has the same nutrient input/output as potato and can be cooked for the same stat bonuses as a cooked potato, but it has no unique recipes outside of Hamlet besides the Stuffed Eggplant, which is a joke of a food.

Pumpkin: 3 Stars: Pumpkins restore a whopping 37.5 hunger when eaten raw or cooked, meaning it will only take you three of them to satisfy your food needs for the day. Otherwise, they can be used for pumpkin lanterns if you have fireflies lying around, pumpkin cookies if you don't want to make taffy, and a friendly scarecrow for various purposes.

Watermelon: 3 Stars: Watermelons are on carrot-tier when it comes to eating them raw or cooked for stats, but they can be used to craft Melon Hats and Melonsicles to combat the Summer heat. This is especially fantastic when you realize that Watermelons can be grown in Spring for preparation, and also Summer to make more of the aforenoted items. Honestly, I would put it at 4 stars if people didn't just dip into caves during Summer.

Dragonfruit: 5 Stars: Come on, Dragonpie alone makes this a 5-star.

Durian: 1 Star: This one might as well be a weed. It only grows during Spring, and has no unique recipes besides turning your 5-star meals into 1-star lasagna. Even for Wurt, it would be better to eat a raw pumpkin. (Durians fill her for 40 while pumpkins fill her for 50.)

Garlic: 4 Stars: Garlic can be grown in all seasons, meaning you can get a surplus of them if you get enough early. They're used in the super good Potato Puree recipe and can be used for Garlic Powder. Honestly, the 24/7 season perk is what carries this little plant.

Onion: 3 Stars: Onion is a valuable root to grow many different high-tier crockpot dishes such as Bone Bouillon, Nightmare Pie, and Moqueca. However, these can only be made by Warly, so if you don't have one on your team, you may want to resort to Salsa or Veggie Burgers. All in all, a great ingredient for Warly, but only for Warly, and its a bit hard to get early-game, and is not good to eat raw or cooked alone. It does last awhile before rotting though.

Pepper: 2 Stars: meh, it's not really good to eat raw or cooked because of the penalties, and the recipes are okay at best. It gets carried by being an extremely useful resource for Warly by turning these hot bananas into Chili Flakes.

Pomegranate: 1 Star: No unique recipes, other plants can do what it does better in terms of stats, it rots super quickly, and is resource-demanding for gardening. Hard Pass.

And that's all of them! Hopefully Klei will add more recipes for some of the unused produce like Durians and Pomegranates, but I believe that most other crops have at least one purpose, albeit some being more fringe than others.

3 Stars:

• Potato: Can be mixed 1:1 with Toma Roots, restores 20 Health and 25 Hunger if cooked
  • Toma Root: Can be mixed 1:1 with Potatoes, restores 20 Health if cooked or 33 Sanity if prepared in Crock Pot
  • Onion: Restores 25 Hunger and 33 Sanity if prepared in Crock Pot
  • Corn: Restores 25 Hunger if uncooked

2.5 Stars:

• Pumpkin: Replaces Onions during Winter, restores 37.5 Hunger; but doesn't prefer spring
  • Garlic: Replaces Corn during Winter, turns Compost into other nutrients during any season

2 Stars:

• Dragon Fruit: Replaces Potatoes during Summer, restores 75 Hunger and 40 Health if prepared in Crock Pot; but spoils quickly
  • Asparagus: Replaces Corn during Winter, restores 25 Hunger if cooked
  • Eggplant: Compared to Potato: restores better stats if uncooked but doesn't prefer winter
  • Watermelon: Can be mixed 1:1 with Onions, restores 7.5 sanity if cooked; but spoils quickly
  • Carrot: Replaces Onion during Winter or Pumpkin during Winter & Spring

1 Star:

• Durian: Prefers only Spring
  • Pomegranate: Spoils quickly, worse than Toma Root
  • Pepper: Not as good as Fire Nettles

I can speedrun a tier list! Boom!

Not Warly: Watermelon 6/5, Potato 5/5, Pumpkin 5/5, Tomato 4/5, Garlic 4/5, Onion 4/5.

Warly: Watermelon 6/5, Garlic 5/5, Onion 5/5, Pepper 5/5, Asparagus 5/5, Dragonfruit 5/5, Tomato 4/5, Potato 4/5.

Watermelons are top tier because they make the best looking hat in the game.

from pov of no-warly gameplay experienes thus far, not sorted by 'tier within tier' (i.e. onion doesn't > pomegranate, they're both herp)

S: dragonfruit, toma root, potato

• dragonfruit: transmutes itself and three twigs into 40 hp 75 hunger, other crops wish they could be this
  • toma: the solid 20 hp per unit and an inversion of spoil mechanics, lasting 10d when cooked instead of raw, pair with dragonfruit in 2:1 ratio and use for the 20 hp or combine with ice + vego for 33 sanity
  • potato: eggplant but with decent crockpot recipes, extra-potent low effort effectiveness for wolfgang

A: eggplant, pumpkin

• eggplant: heavy 20 hp/25 hunger per unit, something one should never feel averse to - keep it the hell out of crock with vegos unless you REALLY need food resources many days in the future though
  • pumpkin: THICK hunger per unit and a bit of hp on top of it, two = your daily hunger, add a good crock recipe or buff watermelon = S, tri-plants quite well with eggplant/corn

B: carrot

• carrot: rabbit hutches can be really, really good and you need 10 of these for each one, that's about all there is to say there

C: garlic, corn, watermelon, asparagus

• garlic: only usable for filler/puree, which while decent does have a 2:1 dependancy on potatoes, which are extremely good as is
  • corn: can tri-plant with potato/carrot and gives a decent 25 hunger raw with some hefty spoil options, not bad
  • watermelon: a bit of sanity and a bit more with ice, if you have to rely on this for cooling you might be doomed, can duo with pumpkin.. i guess
  • asparagus: decent hunger but a fast spoil + dunked by toma generally, okay-ish as a tri-plant with potato/pumpkin which is weirdly potent

D: onion, pepper, pomegranate

• onion: only useful as filler or combined with toma for a less-resource intensive stinger, rather awkward fertilizer setup
  • pepper: this is kind of just awful without warly unfortunately
  • pomegranate: would be nicer with a crock or better spoil mechanics, bushes are better fruit producers, maybe minor fertilizer uses

F: durian

• durian: not even wurt

overall anyway farm mechanics are super convoluted and all over the place, there's a lot to look into + factor which is nice but i get the feeling that the distribution of usefulness and neat combos is lopsided towards the A+ and warly-perked crops, hopefully see some bumps to things like carrot (no crock + low resources)/garlic (if only to be less of a potato/warly reliant bit)/corn (handful of powercakes and that's it, poor fish taco)/watermelon (so low-end in so many ways, only remaining in C for possible fertilizer setups and heat being harder to deal with than cold)/asparagus (really didn't need 6/3 spoil and toma can subsume it in stinger) and so on

even so, a massive step-up from before regardless, and worth being the center of the update

always think in combinations - garlic might be lackluster in itself, but combine it with the right things and magic happens.

the two "easier" ones are toma root + potato and dragonfruit + 2x potato, the former is great for the lazy bastards (and Wolfgang), the latter could feed an entire server, while both can restore sanity.

best combination that I found so far incorporates four(!) different vegetables on a 2x2 plot, last for an absurdly long time, and can heal over a thousand sanity - 4x potatoes, 2x garlic, 2x onions and toma root, in this formation. this gets you, on average, 11 salsa fresca and 22 creamy potato puree, for 33 sanity each, with a few onions to spare for pierogi. getting the seeds is a ***** though, and it need a few nutrients every once in a while... aka about once a year.

8 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Pumpkin: 3 Stars: Pumpkins restore a whopping 37.5 hunger when eaten raw or cooked, meaning it will only take you three of them to satisfy your food needs for the day. Otherwise, they can be used for pumpkin lanterns if you have fireflies lying around, pumpkin cookies if you don't want to make taffy, and a friendly scarecrow for various purposes.

Most characters lose 75 Hunger a day, so it only takes 2 Pumpkins a day to feed, not 3.

64128334_CropTierList.png.f644bccb38f2c55ea2508757132cca4f.pngReap What You Sow added so much more depth to crops than mere stats and combined with the crop tweaks from Warly and May 2019 Updates, I don't think any crop is really worthless as they all fill certain roles. That said, this would be how I rank them overall:

> Potato: Super versatile crop, available all seasons but summer, very common, pairs well with Toma Roots, Has easy and awesome recipes: Fancy Spiralled Tubers, Potato Puree, Puffed Potato Soufflé and Grim Galette. Great stats when eaten cooked. Assists Hunger Health and Sanity. Bonus hunger for Wolfgang.

> Toma Root: Another very versatile crop, especially with how great it pairs with so many crops in easy 1:1 and 1:2 combinations in all 3 seasons its available, very common. Great healing when eaten cooked, has two amazing sanity recipes: Vegetable Stinger and Salsa Fresca, as well as Warly's amazing Moqueca. Only lacks in hunger fulfilment. Needed for Rude Interlude.

> Dragonfruit: Previous King of Crops but not as desirable as before as it only favors Spring and Summer and demands lots of manure. Still, Dragonpie is an invaluable recipe for healing and filling hunger, paired with how easy it is to mass produce.

> Pumpkin: Champion of filling hunger. Favours Autumn & Winter and being a winter crop is always a big advantage in my opinion. You can easily sustain your hunger by eating a couple Pumpkins and even "upgrade it" in the crock pot to grant some sanity aswell. Has lackluster healing properties but it doesn't need to be healing after min/maxing hunger. Being a Growth Formula crops, becomes very easy to mass produce via monoculture after a few bottles are obtained. Also needed in making scarecrows and pumpkin lanterns.

> Asparagus: Invaluable in Winter Combos, favors Winter and Spring. Grants decent hunger when eaten cooked but shines through Vegetable Stingers. Asparagus Soup isn't great but adds a healing avenue to the crop. Warly can make pretty good Asparagazpachos with it. Consuming compost, its very easy to grow through monoculture too.

> Watermelon: Useful for Sanity and combatting summer. Melonsickles and Fashion Melons are pretty decent. It combos perfectly with carrots in spring. Worst aspect is rotting pretty quickly.

> Onion: Best one of Warly's 3 favorite crops, for serving in many chef specials: Moqueca, Bone Bruillon and Grim Galette, as well as making Salsa Fresca and Veggie Burgers for the rest of survivors. Not very useful outside of the crock pot but takes longer to rot than many other crops.

> Corn: Not a very desirable crop but still helpful for favoring all seasons outside of winter and fills respectable amount of hunger when eaten raw. Uniquely, also available through fishing. Necessary in making powdercakes, which make great baits and very useful for storing Warly's Spices.

> Garlic: Main drawing points of this crop in Warly's absence are its 4 Season availability and requirement in making the coveted Potato Puree. It also takes longer to spoil. In Warly's presence, jumps up many steps of desirability for the Garlic Spice. 

> Pepper: Aren't very good without Warly, but still its unique season preference (Summer & Autumn) make for good 2:1 combos with Toma Roots, as well as pairing well with Warly's other two favorite crops in these seasons. Stuffed Pepper Poppers is nevertheless a pretty good healing recipe and might be the only crop focused recipe useful for Wigfrid. With Warly, peppers become very powerful and desired. 

> Carrot: Not a very desirable farm crop due to its unimpressive stats, being found in the world naturally and not having unique crock pot recipes. Still, carrots are best amongst the least desired crops imo for liking Winter, pairing perfectly with Watermelons in spring and being required for Bunny Hutches. 

> Durian: An undesirable crop for basically being the monster meat of the crops and only favouring spring but I'd argue they are underrated and are still rather useful situationally. They are Wurt's favorite and are the best crop for her after the S tier crops, serving as the best hunger crops when Pumpkins are off-season. Consuming the easiest nutrient, they are simple to grow through monoculture, good in crop combos, including the all fruit combo of Dragonfruit-Durian-Pomegranate and despite lacking a unique recipe, serve well in making Fruit Medleys.

> Eggplant: Quite an underrated crop with nice stats and mediocre crock pot recipe. It remains pretty undesirable though, as it doesn't offer anything very unique and not very versatile, only favouring Autumn and Spring, causing it to be often overshadowed by potatoes. Nevertheless, it pairs perfectly with Toma Roots and thus should not be ignored.

> Pomegranate: I'd rate it as the least desired crop, for lacking any unique properties. Its most useful in healing, and contributing to recipes that use fruits. It sadly spoils fast and being Wortox' favorite crop really doesn't contribute to its 323309016_NoahsPudding.jpg.3ae5313aea8bf65d791b9403eded2316.jpgusefulness. Nevertheless, it still combos well for in farms, especially with Dragonfruits, Durians, Garlics and even Watermelons adding it some niche during summer. I'd still argue that Pomegranates would benefit most from a unique crock pot recipe, such as the Ashura/Noah's Pudding I keep suggesting. 

22 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Durian: 1 Star: This one might as well be a weed. It only grows during Spring, and has no unique recipes besides turning your 5-star meals into 1-star lasagna. Even for Wurt, it would be better to eat a raw pumpkin. (Durians fill her for 40 while pumpkins fill her for 50.)

You could also feed it to Woby, that's another use, right? :-D

Something like 2 durians to make Woby big, instead of 3 monster meat. Obviously not a reason to specifically farm them, but a use for them if you get one.

52 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

You could also feed it to Woby, that's another use, right? :-D

Something like 2 durians to make Woby big, instead of 3 monster meat. Obviously not a reason to specifically farm them, but a use for them if you get one.

Have you actually tried that though?
Cause I specifically recall that Pigs do not transform from eating Durian, so I imagine the same is true for Woodie and Woby.

On 2/1/2021 at 6:16 AM, SinancoTheBest said:

64128334_CropTierList.png.f644bccb38f2c5

Why is asparagus, which is basically a garlic that spoils 3x faster and has a more expensive and less rewarding recipe, a tier higher than garlic? Garlic is good in all 4 seasons and especially good in autumn & spring while asparagus is bad in autumn & summer and only really pulls through in winter so it doesn't seem like it's seasonal availability that's causing it. Garlic is useful in many different crop combos while I can only think of 1 combo that asparagus is useful in so it doesn't seem like it'd be that either.

Especially with you putting garlic on the same tier as corn & pepper... You're doing my boy dirty. 

47 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why is asparagus, which is basically a garlic that spoils 3x faster and has a more expensive and less rewarding recipe, a tier higher than garlic? Garlic is good in all 4 seasons and especially good in autumn & spring while asparagus is bad in autumn & summer and only really pulls through in winter so it doesn't seem like it's seasonal availability that's causing it. Garlic is useful in many different crop combos while I can only think of 1 combo that asparagus is useful in so it doesn't seem like it'd be that either.

Especially with you putting garlic on the same tier as corn & pepper... You're doing my boy dirty

Isnt bad for making stingers with 2 stonefruits :/

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Especially with you putting garlic on the same tier as corn & pepper... You're doing my boy dirty. 

But the only real use of Garlic is making Creamy Potato Puree, which is a net loss of hunger and health compared to its ingredients.

20 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Have you actually tried that though?
Cause I specifically recall that Pigs do not transform from eating Durian, so I imagine the same is true for Woodie and Woby.

Yes I have, I actually carry around all the durians that the other players on the world make when I play walter, because no one else will use them.

it is considered a monster food and Woby quite enjoys it. And woby's transformation isnt the same as the "were" ones with pigs and woodie. Woby just gets big because she is full, and shrinks when her belly is empty

8 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

But the only real use of Garlic is making Creamy Potato Puree, which is a net loss of hunger and health compared to its ingredients.

veggies are veggies, you put similar effort into farming garlic and potatoes vs toma root - and from that angle, CPP is a lot better, restoring both more hunger and health compared to vegetable stinger, while also allowing for better fillers, not just ice.

but the true strength of that thing lies in longevity - since giant vegetables last four times as long as their base spoilage time (BUT it's also affected by being on the ground, so 2,66x as long would be more precise), you can get fresh tomatoes for 26+ days and fresh garlic for a whopping 40 days, while every other sanity food requires toma root, which lasts a mere 16 days. add a salt box and cooking, and you've got... what, over a year of fresh-ish sanity food?

if you're using farms for sanity (and unless you're Wolfgang or Wurt, you should be, seeing how easy it is to cover everything else), they're very good, though require a complicated setup with toma root and onions to get the most out of it.

9 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Other than being a filler, the only use of the 15 day lasting garlic is making a food that gives 33 sanity. The only use of the 6 day lasting asparagus is making a more expensive food that gives 33 sanity.

11 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Hmm, you're right, I might have underrated Garlic a little bit as I especially didn't compare its rotting speed vs. Asparagus; a good selling point for Garlic without Warly is how long it takes to spoil. That said, without Warly, it still is only useful for its one recipe, however good it is (and requires potatoes too), as well as having 1 vegetable value. I should rate it higher than corn, and maybe even move it a tier up for its 4 season crop combo potentials, although I think onions are still the most desirable of the Warly Trio.

That said, I still stand by my opinion that Asparagus are underrated. Although it might have way less combos than Garlic, being necessary in the only self filling 3 crop combo in Winter is a big feat- pairing with S-rank Pumpkins and Potatoes. That's something more valuable to me than the combos in any other season, whereas you'd need at least a 5 crop combo to use Garlics in self feeding farms on winter and you're better of growing them by themselves with compost. They are very versatile, with Giving corn-level hunger when cooked, awesome sanity by making vegetable stingers- in the only season tomatoes dislike& ice is naturally spawning and okay health even with stuff like 3 red mushrooms, kelp or lichen. They could honestly compete in the Toma root league if they had more combos and were available in one more season. They also offer some nice three and four crop combos in Spring, even with Dragonfruits, keeping them relevant till Autumn.

Garlics make a great combo with Dragonfruits and Onions/Pomegranates in summer but its not an indispensable feat as you can achieve that with Toma Roots and Dragonfruits too; and the Warly trio combo in Summer and Autumn isn't too valuable in the absence of Warly. Again I made the tier list heavily biased to the absence of Warly because otherwise Pepper, Garlic and Onion launch up to space in desirability. Even then I'd keep Asparagus on "A tier " for offering a variety of crock pot dishes including the mighty Astaragazpacho.

Archived