141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Klei added paid DLC expansions

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you think it would split up the fanbase

• yes
    • no
    • Idk

Idk about you but i love SW and hamlet, while a bit rough around the edges they still give tons of hours of just pure fun. However lately i have played tons of DS and less DST, and i feel like its cause DST is less varied, being on the same island, seeing the saaame thing over and over again. and that's not to take a jab at DST cause its a great game. 

But i feel like what's missing is what DS has. No not specifically Hamlet or SW itself but something..  entirely new to DST. Variety, more worlds.

DST DLC expansions (woo that's the title of the the topic)

Now before I say anything, yes i know that AnR and RoT is technically "free expansions" 

Now i know that Klei has specified that they do not and i quote "Want to split up the fanbase with paid DLC" and for a while i could understand what they meant by this, at least in the beginning. But lately i have felt this is a huge roadblock for more content and money for Klei. 

at this point OG don't starve is done, the curtains have fallen and honestly it probably should stay that way cause its quite old by now, the coding is old (despite needing a few touch'ups wink wink nudge nudge). And all of the love goes to DST cause it gives off more value compared to DS and i understand that, but why not just add expansions Like SW or Ham to DST instead. Would it really be that big of a deal? Would you be bothered by it? I wouldn't. Klei has already given us so so much in return that i really couldn't care if i needed to give them more of my money for an expansion. Hell i already buy all of the skins as soon as they come out. 

Yes i knoow we're not the majority of the community on the forums and there's steam and the console players so we can't exactly get everyone's opinion about this and not everyone might like the implementation of more DLC.

And what about the fanbase situation? well, if i'mma be honest i don't really know how it would affect. In some ways we're already splitted up by other means.

Spoiler

:wolfgangstache::wickerbottomthanks:[Act like WX is here]

No but seriously do you think it would affect the fanbase, and if so, how?

What do you think? I really want everyone's opinion about it and perhaps we can twist Klei's arm on their statement and get the likes of expansions like SW or Ham into DST in the future so they can see that we do indeed like the idea. But i mean, in the future of course, not now. they still need to finish RoT.

Disclamer: This is just a mere suggestion for the future of DST. i just think it would be much better to work on something for the sequel than the original. Of course there would be some things DST can't do like world hopping and whatnot. Don't think about the details, think of the idea.

Actually what I want is for SW and Hamlet to become compatible with DST- and anyone who already owns them will gain instant access to Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wormwood, Wheeler, Wilba and Wagstaff.

Players who OWN the DLCs can host them worlds and players who do NOT own the DLCs still join and play with players who own them- They can also either choose to buy the DLCs themselves: Or Weave each of the above listed characters individually at standard character weaving prices.

Now why should Klei add SW & Ham mobs, biomes and characters to DST? Because more content is more content and I for one would probably be crazy enough to help fund a Kickstarter campaign to see this happen someday.

Maybe I want to sail SW seas or explore Hamlet temples with a friend or two?

The characters listed above would also have new purchasable skins/belongings that can further go towards funding of more game content.

Think of them as like their own massive DLC “World” if you will..

And over on Xbox we can have a total of 5 different game save files- I would absolutely freaking love it if I could dedicate each save file to a specifically themed DS/DST DLC

For Example:

Save 1- DST Vanilla game with RoT content

Save 2- DST Shipwrecked world.

Save 3- DST Hamlet World.

Save 4- DS Classic World (pre RoT/Character Reworks)

Save 5- Forge/Gorge/ or some other brand new themed World.

I don’t need the worlds to be able to be traveled to/ in between each other..... I just want to dedicate a save file to a different World.

So I’m sorry if this reply turned into a TL:DR I would just plain and simply like to be able to play DLC worlds for DLC’s I’ve already purchased but in DST with a friend someday..

10 minutes ago, LinknAllie said:

I mean,  If the DLC added Wagstaff to the game or if it is similiar to shipwrecked or hamlet I wouldn't be bothered but if they hide new regular updates behind a paywall, then I will be bothered.

fortunately klei designed a currency system exactly to prevent paywalls.

My internet went out just as I tried to leave this comment so just pretend I'm the first response, okay?

3 hours ago, PunkShark said:

at this point OG don't starve is done, the curtains have fallen

Have the developers said that? SW came out 3 years after the base game. Hamlet came out 3 years after that. It hasn't been 3 years yet.

3 hours ago, PunkShark said:

and honestly it probably should stay that way cause its quite old by now

The 2013 game shouldn't be updated cuz it's old but the barely newer 2015 game should be updated?

What they're doing now is fine. Don't need paid expansions, since that objectively will split the playerbase. Don't know how anyone could think otherwise.

I think if they could implement a type of paid DLC it would be another good source of revenue for Klei, so I'd be on board. As for splitting the fan base....that's a tough one. Perhaps one solution could be similar to what we already have with the base DST game, buying a copy of the DLC would give you another copy to gift to a friend; that way it could potentially reduce the amount of divisiveness in the community by a bit.

5 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I think if they could implement a type of paid DLC it would be another good source of revenue for Klei, so I'd be on board. As for splitting the fan base....that's a tough one. Perhaps one solution could be similar to what we already have with the base DST game, buying a copy of the DLC would give you another copy to gift to a friend; that way it could potentially reduce the amount of divisiveness in the community by a bit.

Why? Why not just make it more like MINECRAFT? Minecraft has been releasing DLCs for years now and they haven’t split their fan base up between who owns and does not own DLC.

Because- only the Host needs to actually own the DLC for everyone else they just take a little longer loading into the game while it reads “Downloading DLC Assets” and boom everyone plays the dlc together.

Ive actually used this feature in Minecraft multiple times to “try before I buy” a dlc expansion- my richer more wealthy friends buy them out of my curiosity I get to play in the world and see what all I like/dislike about it and if I find myself wanting to play that DLC when my friends not online to host it- I buy it for myself.

You can’t separate your fans between who has and does not have DLC if it’s handled like Minecraft..

And- Who knows: That may drive more sales for the expansions or the games themselves actually.

Buy Shipwrecked or Hamlet and that content becomes unlocked for both DS solo and DST.

It could “Potentially” drive players who has only played DS Solo to buy DST- Or vice Versa (especially if you want a Pause button and an experience tailored towards a single player) ;) 

I literally can’t see how this can be bad if Minecraft’s been doing it for over 8 years, maybe someone who works at Klei would be kind enough to explain why it wouldn’t work. :( 

It depends on what you mean by expansion. If you mean similar in content and structure to the single player DLCs then no. I much prefer DSTs approach of integrating new content into the base game rather than it being separate like in DS. I don't see Klei doing paid dlc expansions anyway regardless of the form it takes as the ROT updates are largely doing just that ie: expanding the game. And if it meant they stop development on these types of updates to work on a paid expansion that again is its own self contained thing then no thank you. Kleis stance on modes like the forge and gorge seem to indicate that the current model of delivering content will be what they will be doing for the foreseeable future.

You said that OG don't starve is done and I don't agree. There is so much untapped potential for the game, and I hope that the farming refresh is the gateway to season/boss refreshes.

I for one would be more than willing to pay for DLCs or more content if it means we actually get more. I might be wrong, but the impression I get is that this free updates situation we are currently in greatly hinders actual innovation and new additions to the game.

So many game developer companies leave an out of this world greedy impression on me, whereas Klei is the only example I can think of that seems on the opposite end of the spectrum, that I would sometimes consider to be too generous and. Like when they gave away more than 11k copies of Hamlet after the Beta Test. Like, you do phenomenal work, and I want to support you, but I can't. Because there is nothing more to buy. I'd also welcome more purchaseable item & structure skins. Generally I think the amount of value you get for the purchase prices of DS & it's DLCs and DST is one of the best you could ever find on steam. 

Considering Klei does most content updates for free and gets the main money income from selling the game/s copies aswell as skins & some merch, i wouldn't mind paying for a new strapped to the teeth dlc once RoT ends. DS dlcs are pretty cheap in their own right, even if they upped the price for a DST dlc i wouldn't mind that either. Unlike some companies Klei actually cares and stays away from creating paywalls/money baits in exchange for content.

24 minutes ago, Rhovious Aran said:

... but the impression I get is that this free updates situation we are currently greatly hinders actual innovation and new additions.

I disagree.  Compare SW and ROT, SW imo was way less innovative considering most of the content was a reskin or a recylced mechanic used in a different way, whereas ROT had completley new mechanics. I will say however that because of DST having to use its ROG map, it made ocean/sailing content not as fun as SW, because rather than setting sail and exploring different islands you instead go round in a circle. 

Up until RWYS Klei has been very reluctant to touch base game mechanics/staples. So I hope that now that they've seen the playerbase won't explode if you change something we will get new additions to seasons/bosses as well as not being afraid to change something about the base game while making new content, for example imagine ROT but with the nonessential biomes separated from the mainland by rivers giving more priority to sailing instead of it being its own separate optional thing as well as introducing some SW style exploration and making the ocean pathing much more interesting.

23 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Compare SW and ROT, SW imo was way less innovative considering most of the content was a reskin or a recylced mechanic used in a different way..

Don't forget that expansion was made in collaboration with CAPY/Capybara Games, and one might suspect some fault for SW's shortcomings might fall onto that company and/or the presumably-deficient communication and-whatnot between KLei and CAPY. Likewise some of the lore injected into DS series by SW might be faulty on same premise.

As for a future possibly-payed DST DLC-like expansion: sure - I'm all in if that means some massive new base-game content will be added in the same quality-assured way DS, ROG and DST: ANR were made.

I have been speaking about this for years ... I want a paid DLC, reason -

I want big pack of content drop and the only way to get that is to pay for it ... DST team has been adding content but free content can go only so far.

Just compare the features a new DLC(hamlet and SW even ROG) can add vs the content an update can add. I want new big mechanics that interact with all of the world for example the sea is a big content addition YES but it needs to interact with the season like sea storms/ icebergs during winter and more (compare it to the sea in SW). And that sea(DST sea) was fleshed out during a LONG time of updates... and it still feels like it needs more added to it.
So yea I want a DLC, mainly because the free updates that ,are good, are not enough for me to start playing the game again. I normally wait for 2-4-6 updates to pile up before I play DST again but that can take more than a year to happen ....
And once again I want big new features, I will bring SW up again because RoG is the base now - the wind interacts with all and it's a new feature. The flood is everywhere during 1 season but it's all the time  there (waves flood over some parts of the land non-stop).
I want big features like that, stuff that we just can't get for free... I won't mind even if they rip them from SW (thou that will devaule SW so they won't do it...)

That begin said yes it will split the comunity, best way around is - if host owns it then he can host the new DLC stuff while the others can join without owning it this way that split won't be that big.

EDIT:Extra note... do you remeber the really old stuff that got recycled into ANR, the idea about alternative seasons (so we don't get the same season again and again) the ewecus that for me was a really good idea to force ppl to play as a team.
Now tell me do you want the alternative seasons ? Do you think they can do 4 new seasons that have enough content for free ? I want new biomes too (like RoG did to classic DS) but I don't think we can get them for free... That's why i want paid DLC...

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually what I want is for SW and Hamlet to become compatible with DST- and anyone who already owns them will gain instant access to Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wormwood, Wheeler, Wilba and Wagstaff.

that many paid for characters? No thank you

12 minutes ago, Seero said:

that many paid for characters? No thank you

They were already paid dlc characters- In fact Wormwood comes from Hamlet and Warly comes from Shipwrecked.

Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs are from Shipwrecked.

Where as Wilba, Wheeler, Wagstaff are from Hamlet. 

And: You can always just weave them for 2700 spools, it might take you some time but I assure you it CAN be done 

(I have Wurt, Wormwood & Wortox already unlocked and I didn’t buy them.. I just weaved their essential head that unlocks them)

What your ACTUALLY paying money for (should you choose to buy & not Weave them) is their Additional SKIN SETS which don’t come with weaving just the head. (but can be unlocked and also for free by just playing the game)

Honestly I’m surprised how Klei makes any profit at all off this game, almost everything in it can be obtained for free just by playing enough.

If you are playing on PC Buying the HAMLET DLC also unlocks Wormwood in DST for free: So the Technology for Klei to pull it off is literally right there proof in Wormwood..

However- if your playing on Xbox or PS4 even if you bought Hamlet, Wormwood will not be unlocked for Free and has to be purchased or Woven separately.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

They were already paid dlc characters- In fact Wormwood comes from Hamlet and Warly comes from Shipwrecked.

Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs are from Shipwrecked.

Where as Wilba, Wheeler, Wagstaff are from Hamlet. 

Wagstaff is singleplayer exclusive, but I am aware of this, you don't need to reiterate

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

And: You can always just weave them for 2700 spools, it might take you some time but I assure you it CAN be done

You don't need to assure me, I am well aware if I waste enough time I can get enough spools for them

here is how klei makes profit:

Klei makes free content updates

these updates revitalize the game and attracts new players

Klei makes deals with tencent

You see? this is more then enough because DST is in a pretty good position right now, consistent updates are proof they have enough money already

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Honestly I’m surprised how Klei makes any profit at all off this game, almost everything in it can be obtained for free just by playing enough.

DST is not a free game and you can look at my explanation on how klei makes profit, and why that profit is enough

That’s not how the gaming industry works I’m afraid, they have to make profit: otherwise they couldn’t continue to do the things that they do, while we see them as a company trying to make money: Behind that company are humans with jobs and family they need to support.

And it’s not any of our business really where Klei’s profits come from: but if I had to guess, skins, games, and the Klei Shop: I  am a low income family (having 5$ Spending money a month can sometimes be pushing limits) But WHEN I have spare Money I like to support Klei & the updates they put out for me to enjoy (that are completely free) by buying a skin set, a dlc, a Klei game, Buying the game for a friend or Random Strangers, or most recently.. THIS from their Klei Store: 

Spoiler

C1E4E8BA-B1F8-4C9C-A2EF-A676FAD112C3.thumb.jpeg.dff43dbb5d506c892b825e87a5248545.jpeg

I like to think that the things I buy helps towards funding of the free updates I continue to get.

I think that PAID DLC expansions (huge content filled expansions) wouldn’t separate the player fanbase as long as players could join those dlcs without having to own them.. like how I mentioned Minecraft dlc works.

But as someone on low income I would want those paid DLC’s to be reasonably priced too.. 30$ would be twice the price of buying the game itself.. 2.99$ might be too low 5-10$ might be acceptable.

I think the reason Klei opted to do completely free updates instead of paid ones is because they wanted their profit to come from skin sales alone..

But like I said: it’s really none of our business where their profit comes from, I just hope that the things I buy helps keep the game I enjoy playing active with a steady stream of content updates.

So basically people don't want the game to grow or evolve.

That's a shame because the free updates won't continue forever.

Anybody who loves DST will buy the updates. Anybody who cares will buy the expansions. The ones who don't stopped playing a long time ago regardless.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

That’s not how the gaming industry works I’m afraid, they have to make profit: otherwise they couldn’t continue to do the things that they do, while we see them as a company trying to make money: Behind that company are humans with jobs and family they need to support.

And it’s not any of our business really where Klei’s profits come from: but if I had to guess, skins, games, and the Klei Shop: I  am a low income family (having 5$ Spending money a month can sometimes be pushing limits) But WHEN I have spare Money I like to support Klei & the updates they put out for me to enjoy (that are completely free) by buying a skin set, a dlc, a Klei game, Buying the game for a friend or Random Strangers, or most recently.. THIS from their Klei Store: 

This. The game can't be free forever. And free updates will never compare to a paid expansion they can really throw their weight behind to grow the world to the next level.

26 minutes ago, SaphironX said:

The game can't be free forever. And free updates will never compare to a paid expansion they can really throw their weight behind to grow the world to the next level.

This part I don’t agree with: free updates can be on par with paid expansions it’s been proven in the past with various other games not just Klei’s games either- And you would also be wrong, the game CAN Continue to be free forever (well somewhat free forever) so long as there are people like me buying skins, DLCs, toys of their shop, other Klei products etc..

They DO make profits off these free updates- I’m not sure of how much, but I’m sure if it was barely getting them by then just like the Gorge and Forge Events they would’ve stopped along time ago.

I could sit here and make this post a long wall of text listing off games with free updates that were paid dlc quality but I’ll spare everyone that and just say it DOES happen and it’s been proven to work in the past.

I think if paid DLC expansion was going to come out: they wouldn’t be doing what they’re doing with the Return of Them updates and character reworks.

Even though there’s still a lot to be desired: the RoT and Character reworks have been further and further branching DST away from just being the multiplayer version of Solo DS: And it’s now slowly but surely transforming into the true SEQUEL it should’ve been a long time ago..

Minecraft is one of those games that just so happens to continue to get completely free updates.. but Many many people look at Minecraft as the blockbuster franchise that it is NOW: And very few people look at it as the game it started out as with a single developer..

My point: without straying too far off-topic is that there are already success stories from other games out there.

And people think I’m crazy when I say Don’t Starve/ DST has the POTENTIAL to Rival Minecraft in popularity.. But maybe someday they too will see it in the same way that I do.

MC didn’t suddenly become an over night success, it took years to get where it’s at now, And for as long as Klei is willing & able to: I don’t see the updates to DST coming to a sudden stop anytime soon.

Rather those updates are paid or free is entirely up to how Klei wants to handle them: but considering all the amazing sequel quality things they’re already doing for free: I just don’t see paid DLCs happening.

(My logic: if they wanted to they could’ve surely made money off Return of Them by releasing it as a DS 2 instead of a free update..)

Archived