How many Dupes you typically have?

I took my 12th dupe around turn 200. When around turn 300 all my energy system shot down because I run out of coal, it was relatively easy to set up dupe base minimum power and then rebuild my power system completely. I am sure If I had more dupes, I would have much more trouble to manage a crisis.

Now It is turn 400 and I am using better more efficient system, still there a lot of projects I would like to do and they needed a few more dupes.

So, I am just wander, how many dupes people think is optimum?

Base game - no more than 3. Once I get rockets, usually 1 active dupe, the rest in command capsule stasis.

DLC is kind of forcing me to take more, which is nice for a change. The most I have taken is 4 so far but I haven't traveled to the 4th planetoid yet.

I prefer as few as possible because volcano mechanics, wild plants and base game planet mechanics are tied to time not labor. I play at 10x speed.

Is the asteroid too big for you guys .... even a minibase with the size of 60x80 can support 100 dupes, no fancy projects like regolith melter, sourgas boiler .... but they are happy on frost burger.

I prefered to print as much dupes as possible, but the performance of the game wouldn't allow that, the FPS drop is noticeable after ~40 dupes and lots of FPS drop after 60+ dupes. The old base game with the size of 256x384 is even too big for 400 dupes. Tried but gave up after 100+ dupes because my potato pc don't have enough processing power for that ...

I have my first base that just turned 1500 cycles, that has 14 dupes. My newer base at 850 cycles has 13 dupes. I think eventually they will end up with 16 each. I can't say optimum, because I am new and only ever did these two bases. It is just what I ended up with, by only taking dupes I liked, and only when there was plenty of O2 and food surplus production to sustain them.

10-12 usually. A funny thing i observed with my play is that the amount of dupes depends on my base layout. If i can`t find a place to fit more beds where i want them i stay with a lower amount of dupes.

For the dlc i`m aiming for 12 dupes per asteroid but for now i`m stuck with starting over after i stabilize so didn`t achieve that yet.

35 of course - one of each!  I have tried bases with anything from a maximum of 3 dupes up to 36 dupes (three shifts of 12).  I didn't have the patience to go too far with just 3 dupes - everything takes so long to do - and as mentioned, if you have a lot of dupes idle time starts to become an issue after a while.  My most successful bases (for playing enjoyment anyway) have had between 12 and 18 dupes.

20 hours ago, Mutineer said:

So, I am just wander, how many dupes people think is optimum?

I don't have a number, it depends on how I decide to play. In other words, I hire on demand. I don't repeat the same things on every map, even if there are things I do more often than not, so I don't know in advance...

That said I don't think I've ever reached 30, excluding all dups challenges.

depends from difficulty level, but I prefer large colonies. It look more "alive". Think best choose around 50 - constructions fast enough, resources also enough. 100 also not bad.

On 1/1/2021 at 6:19 AM, MinhPham said:

The old base game with the size of 256x384 is even too big for 400 dupes

No. I have colony cycle 970 150 dupes, look like it going out of water. I have 5 steam geysers, 1 water and 1 salt geysers, it produce around 10t of water each cycle, colony use 7.7 tons of oxygen (~9tons of water), +something going for farming. For 400 dupes you need 20 steam geysers and 8 water geysers, so, it's impossible.

40 minutes ago, degr said:

depends from difficulty level, but I prefer large colonies. It look more "alive". Think best choose around 50 - constructions fast enough, resources also enough. 100 also not bad.

No. I have colony cycle 970 150 dupes, look like it going out of water. I have 5 steam geysers, 1 water and 1 salt geysers, it produce around 10t of water each cycle, colony use 7.7 tons of oxygen (~9tons of water), +something going for farming. For 400 dupes you need 20 steam geysers and 8 water geysers, so, it's impossible.

A duplicant with a schedule full of bath time will make at least 2 lavatory use per cycle or 13.4kg of pWater per cycle, or ~11.8 kg or oxygen per cycle using the electrolyzer. I'm gonna round up the oxygen production to 12kg/cycle so we need another 48kg/cycle per dupe.

Now let's see how the arbor tree way works :

A wild arbor tree make around 80kg of lumber per cycle.
pDirt per cycle from distiller : 26kg
CO2 production per cycle : 13kg (distiller) + 10kg (generator) = 23kg.
pwater from carbon skimmer : 76kg
pdirt from water sieve : 3kg.
total pdirt production from a single wild arbor tree : 29kg/cycle.

Total oxygen you can get from pDirt off gassing is 90% or the pDirt mass, or 26kg/cycle.

We need ~1.8 wild arbor tree per dupe to keep them fully breathable.

BUT, there is a problem with this build, we need 0.888 Deodorizer per dupe, that's 70kg/cycle of filtration medium per dupe, scale this to 400 dupes and you will need 28t of regolith/sand per cycle, not sure the meteor production can support this.

Of course building an oxygen plant from these pDirt off gassing is .... trouble, because pDirt off gassing quite slow, but once you get enough of pDirt it won't be a problem.

Now the electrolyzer way :

All you need is water production ... each "wild" arbor tree made around 15kg/cycle of pwater, you'll need 3.2 tree per dupe, which is quite hard to scale up ....

Each steam rocket launch from the bottom of the map made around 4000kg per trip (launch + land), or around 1.5kg/s. With 40 steam rockets you will make the entire water production from geyser look like a joke. This way you can solve both oxygen / food problem.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, MinhPham said:

BUT, there is a problem with this build, we need 0.888 Deodorizer per dupe, that's 70kg/cycle of filtration medium per dupe, scale this to 400 dupes and you will need 28t of regolith/sand per cycle, not sure the meteor production can support this.

You can live with polluted oxygen. That way actually looks pretty possible. Only you need arbor trees, sometimes it does not exists.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:17 PM, MinhPham said:

Each steam rocket launch from the bottom of the map made around 4000kg per trip (launch + land), or around 1.5kg/s

And that look like a dirty hack

16 minutes ago, degr said:

You can live with polluted oxygen. That way actually looks pretty possible. Only you need arbor trees, sometimes it does not exists.

In that case we don't need filtration medium, just some for the dupes with suits.

16 minutes ago, degr said:

And that look like a dirty hack

I believe it's a feature, not sure if they (developers) meant it this way.  Is there a chance that you didn't aware that meteors carried a lot of CO2 with them ? We can make a big hole and collect a lottttt of free CO2 from space ... it's also a feature not a bug ...

Steam rocket can't produce more steam then inside of it. Actually, rocket spend many fuel for launch and land, so, let's say, rocket spend steam for launch and land only, so you can return 50% of steam on home asteroid. Otherwise it is hack.

Think it was done for visual effects and/or heat transfer.

3 hours ago, degr said:

Steam rocket can't produce more steam then inside of it. Actually, rocket spend many fuel for launch and land, so, let's say, rocket spend steam for launch and land only, so you can return 50% of steam on home asteroid. Otherwise it is hack.

Think it was done for visual effects and/or heat transfer.

Nor the "wild" arbor tree shouldn't make lumber out of no where, duplicants shouldn't consume 100g/s of O2 and only exhale 2g/s of CO2, carbon skimmer shouldn't take 300g CO2 + 1000g water into 1000g polluted water, or the coal generator shoulddn't burn 600g of coal into 25g of CO2 ...

I found toilet can produce infinite amount of morbs. Under the spoiler you may find morbs in room. (think I build it around 200 cycle), but their amount still grow. In that case PO become not a problem at all.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fbe96b86c0bac0e103acdbeb4b9d0177.png

4 hours ago, degr said:

In that case PO become not a problem at all.

I saw similar designs. It`s true PO isn`t a problem but your FPS will quickly become one. You need a lot of morbs to sustain pufts and that will slow down your game a lot. Main reason why this isn`t a popular design.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:28 PM, nakomaru said:

Base game - no more than 3.

I usually play 8-16 but in my current playthrough I'm sticking with the original three. It's only a little slower than what I'm used to but the scope of my machines is so much smaller. It's kinda nice.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:57 PM, degr said:

Theoretically it is possible with naturally  grow trees which basically create water for you. In addition you can outgas polluted dirt and have unlimited sand from regolith.

Theoretically possible, thought I would not know why you will want to.

Archived