What do you do about planetoids without water geysers?

The radium planetoid that I inhabited has no renewable water sources. Moving water with rockets is basically impossible since it brings back like 500kg which is nothing. So, at some point, I won't be able to product oxygen at all. 

What do you do about those ? Do you just move out to new ones and just farm them for their volcanoes and radium ? It's a shame that I have to evacuate but I am not seeing a way to make a sustainable colony without any water.

if you use arbor trees and pufts you can make excess water.  typically you don't use the polluted dirt for anything or for pokeshells but now with the sublimation station, pufts are really great.  by my math, you get 30-40kg a cycle of water per tree from adding pufts in, doubling with grubgrubs and pufts to about 90kg a cycle of water from one tree.  but then grubgrubs take sulfur so unless you build a sour gas boiler say from glossy drecko plastic, grubgrubs aren't very sustainable.  there's also slicksters but their output is a little weak for me

2 minutes ago, zach123b said:

if you use arbor trees and pufts you can make excess water.  typically you don't use the polluted dirt for anything or for pokeshells but now with the sublimation station, pufts are really great.  by my math, you get 30-40kg a cycle of water per tree from adding pufts in, doubling with grubgrubs and pufts to about 90kg a cycle of water from one tree.  but then grubgrubs take sulfur so unless you build a sour gas boiler say from glossy drecko plastic, grubgrubs aren't very sustainable.  there's also slicksters but their output is a little weak for me

But this is on the asteroid without grubgrubs, pufts or slicksters. It's the radium one, which basically has no critters.

4 minutes ago, hthought said:

But this is on the asteroid without grubgrubs, pufts or slicksters. It's the radium one, which basically has no critters.

You can move critters between asteroids using a spaceship.  Just load eggs into the ship, and fly it to the other asteroid.  Might not be easy, but you can.  Also, create the water on your main asteroid, and send it to others using rockets.  I believe the automation lets this happen continuously, without you needing manual intervention.

really?  i got dreckos, pufts, and pips on my radium asteroid with 4 saturn critter traps which i'm excited to get to.  i did generate a new world yesterday so the world gen might've changed a little. i do check by using debug mode before i commit to a world though, the game being in early access and all

This sounds like I am gonna be out of water before I do that :/ Automation sounds very interesting though. Is it like possible to automatically send water ? I have already created the water pool and loaders, but it was devastating to see how little water came out of one travel. 

But if it's possible to have a rocket going back and forth, even better without a dupe, that would be super awesome.

4 minutes ago, zach123b said:

really?  i got dreckos, pufts, and pips on my radium asteroid with 4 saturn critter traps which i'm excited to get to.  i did generate a new world yesterday so the world gen might've changed a little. i do check by using debug mode before i commit to a world though, the game being in early access and all

I only see pips on that one, but how do you get water out of the arbor trees really ? Not aware of the mechanism.

EDIT: my bad there are dreckos as well and I saw a couple of pufts hovering in outer space lol, so yeah they both exist, missed them :D

yeah, usually it goes 8 trees > 4 distillers > 1 generator.  glad to hear you got pufts, they make the trees much more productive.  for the 4 distillers, it's about 10.5 pufts to ranch as you get about 800kg polluted dirt to make about 530kg polluted oxygen

27 minutes ago, misotoma said:

Wait I thought pufts give off slime not polluted dirt. Also how exactly do you use the polluted dirt? Do you just off gas it? 

The new sublimation station is great at producing large amounts of Polluted Oxygen quickly. Sure, you loose a bit of mass (3/8s IIRC), but considering how few practical uses Polluted Dirt actually has... 

2 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

The new sublimation station is great at producing large amounts of Polluted Oxygen quickly. Sure, you loose a bit of mass (3/8s IIRC), but considering how few practical uses Polluted Dirt actually has... 

I always fed mine to Pokeshells, they are hungry little blighters.

I've learned   that the first thing you want to do when you start a new colony is to click PAUSE,  then click on the starmap. and view the info on your planetoid.    It will tell you   if  "no geysers are detected"   or  it will show having at least 1 slush geyser.  If you don't get water,  just reroll.  

If you want the challenge of running out of water- by all means keep going.      The first planet in the DLC EA is the only one that will have a chance at renewable water at the moment.      None of the other planets will have renewable water.

2 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

The first planet in the DLC EA is the only one that will have a chance at renewable water at the moment.

It's not a chance. They are guaranteed. It was only right after release that the geyser placement could be somewhat random.

Just now, Steve8 said:

It's not a chance. They are guaranteed. It was only right after release that the geyser placement could be somewhat random.

Right after  EA release  or right after the alpha release?

You're saying its guaranteed 'NOW' ?   Okay that's good then.

Isn't oxylite the most efficient source of oxygen to transport? At least to the second planetoid (the radioactive one) where there is no warp pipes. And until starting the production of oxylite there is plenty of algea to go by. (I assume.. Didn't have the need of oxygen tranport yet)

19 hours ago, hthought said:

The radium planetoid that I inhabited has no renewable water sources. Moving water with rockets is basically impossible since it brings back like 500kg which is nothing. So, at some point, I won't be able to product oxygen at all. 

What do you do about those ? Do you just move out to new ones and just farm them for their volcanoes and radium ? It's a shame that I have to evacuate but I am not seeing a way to make a sustainable colony without any water.

Your only option would be build the infrastructure, bring back the gold and Al ore you want, and then GTFO with the dupes

I finally have deduced that the other planets are just “there” I don’t necessarily need to colonize it. Four to six dupes is enough.. they are small maps and can be given time to unlock. The main map is what it’s all about. Bring all resources back to it and generate what you need for example hatch ranches or exosuits. The other maps just slap a turbine with steam in the metal volcanoes and sit back and reap the rewards.

2 hours ago, misotoma said:

I finally have deduced that the other planets are just “there” I don’t necessarily need to colonize it. Four to six dupes is enough.. they are small maps and can be given time to unlock. The main map is what it’s all about. Bring all resources back to it and generate what you need for example hatch ranches or exosuits. The other maps just slap a turbine with steam in the metal volcanoes and sit back and reap the rewards.

I figured that out too while playing.  The other planets aren't that useful.   Everything you need is in the main map.   

That's what I am seeing too. For instance the oil reservoir map has nothing useful but oil. Not even ethanol is renewable and no geysers at all. I'd need pips and trees to at least be able to have a renewable source of oxygen, otherwise my dupes will slowly suffocate. I have build a full colony there but I am about to evacuate till i get some arbor corns and quite some algae to make sure that i have some oxygen to work with.

That's what I am seeing too. For instance the oil reservoir map has nothing useful but oil. Not even ethanol is renewable and no geysers at all. I'd need pips and trees to at least be able to have a renewable source of oxygen, otherwise my dupes will slowly suffocate. I have build a full colony there but I am about to evacuate till i get some arbor corns and quite some algae to make sure that i have some oxygen to work with.

Morbs!!! Use morbs to produce free polluted oxygen then there are multiple choices.

I have a lot of chlorine on the asteroid so it kills the germs and dups can simply breath this p O2 (the pO2 bubbles through chlorine layer).

I added puffs to the equation to produce meat and algae for rockets.

Archived