You asked for feedback? Here it is. Cycle 274, nothing to do

First of all I would like to express gratitude for letting me to try this Alpha. It was a lot of fun.

Here is my list of thoughts:

1. Reed fiber should be available on 2 starting asteroids or there should be means to produce it via Machinery. I was lucky to get Drecko eggs in the very beginning from the Printing Pod, but it should not be a gamble.  I don't know why it is intended that you can get suits only when reach 3d asteriod.

2. We should have possibility to send limited amount of solids through the Warp pipes. Currently it's just impossible to send 600 Steel or 3 suits to the "other side".

3. Mechatronics skill should be easier to obtain. You give possibility to fly Rockets from the very beginning but what is the reason of colonizing new asteroids if you can't open a can.

4. Diagnostics. We need possibility to provide a minimum threshold. I like the overall idea, but constant beeping about breathability  when dupe stepped out of home area is RELLY ANNOYING. Idleness check is also should be suppressed for certain dupes. On my 2nd asteroid only 2 dupes left, one is farming and one is pumping oil. Yes, they have nothing to do most of the time. No, I have no further tasks for them.

5. Rockets. If we have possibility to send a dupe to space without enough fuel to return then we need a possibility to at least dispose the rocket with dead body somehow. Also, it should be possible to choose what dupe will be send to a surface via trailblazer. Now it's kind of random.

6. Solar should be nerfed but starting asteroid should have more fuel. Probably we need a new critter with a new resource for a 1st asteroid. 

Hope it will help to make a better game. Thanks again!

Solar should be left lol.. if you ask for fuel in place of solar.. then just leave solar alone and ask for nothing is better I think. You are right about Mechatronics.. we can do so much so early but can't even use an auto sweeper to help us survive. Also the idea of exosuits training is now pushed back 1 more skill level is a bit weird. Everything else I hope can be checked by Klei.

Regarding 2, did I miss something in the patch notes where they changed it? Because I remember conveyor belts and the conveyor loader (set to allow manual use, which is off by default) also being part of the warp conduit, and I used that to send food and other stuff to the connected planetoid. The warp conduits even spawned with all conveyor segments, inputs and outputs built so you can use them right away, don't need to tech or level up a dupe to build them yourself.

14 minutes ago, jlarner said:

Seems pretty clear that Klei thinks atmosuits are available too early, and are deliberately trying to push them to late(r) game.  You can see why - they do solve a lot of problems.

I have to agree with this, I think what klei is doing with this is trying to shake up the standard mandatory path people had to take to give more possible paths/playstyles. This is most visible with the rocket overhaul as a lot of the mandatory things there (steel and also atmosuits as a launch requirement, one starting engine type/fuel) were changed to give more flexibility and freedom of choice to players in how they approach it.

Anyway I figure the fiber accessibility issue is only applicable to the swamp and maybe some other new starts, the whole point of a new starting planetoid is to have it be a different challenge. The old slime and caustic biomes will probably still be available on other starting planetoid types. Personally I didn't even get atmo suits in the Alpha, my starting planetoid only had magma in the depths and without the petroleum engine there was not need to get oil, except maybe to get plastic so I could build transport tubes. Solar provided abundant power making other power sources poinltess but that probably will change, was a bit too easy unless that's a swamp start specific benefit.

1 hour ago, Vampyre_by said:

6. Solar should be nerfed but starting asteroid should have more fuel. Probably we need a new critter with a new resource for a 1st asteroid. 

I disagree. I like that new asteroid is unique, with its own pros and cons. Let it be a place with strong solar but weak fuel. Even if that was the only place in the universe where meteors don't strike the surface, let player who prefer this conditions enjoy them. I see no point in making everything the same, it would be boring - new condition mean more options to play the game. The same goes for fiber. Let it be common on one asteroid and rare on another. We already know common one, now lets play something different

1 hour ago, jlarner said:

Seems pretty clear that Klei thinks atmosuits are available too early, and are deliberately trying to push them to late(r) game.  You can see why - they do solve a lot of problems.

A drecko can sometimes  spawn on the warp asteroid in the rust biome. This could possibly be a situation like hatch spawns, which were not working until the recent update. 

1 hour ago, Alpe12 said:

2. We should have possibility to send limited amount of solids through the Warp pipes. Currently it's just impossible to send 600 Steel or 3 suits to the "other side".

This.

Really?  Because I set the capacity on a compactor to 3 kg and get three suits....(sweeping from the compactor)

9 minutes ago, chemie said:

Really?  Because I set the capacity on a compactor to 3 kg and get three suits....(sweeping from the compactor)

I think the problem is when those suits get delivered dupes will restock with another three unless you watch it.

3 hours ago, jlarner said:

Yes but fiber is used for other stuffs. They should change the materials for atmo suit, like niobium, if you want to force people to colonize the latest asteroid. In this way fiber can grow even on the first asteroid.

3 hours ago, Carcer_ said:

I think the problem is when those suits get delivered dupes will restock with another three unless you watch it.

Yes, it does take micro.  I set it with the conveyor loader not set.  then unclick on one and click the other.

6 hours ago, jlarner said:

Then maybe they could make cool/warm clothes actually be useful?  Maybe give cool clothes +15 to scalding and let them be worn at the same time as the oxygen mask.  Of course you'd also need reed fiber, or guarantee 2 or 3 of them spawn in a POI.

2 hours ago, psusi said:

Then maybe they could make cool/warm clothes actually be useful?  Maybe give cool clothes +15 to scalding and let them be worn at the same time as the oxygen mask.  Of course you'd also need reed fiber, or guarantee 2 or 3 of them spawn in a POI.

I was actually thinking they could make cool suits use something more readily available but can't think of something that would fit being used for it.

On 12/5/2020 at 4:11 PM, Artorias36 said:
On 12/5/2020 at 12:14 PM, jlarner said:

Yes but fiber is used for other stuffs. They should change the materials for atmo suit, like niobium, if you want to force people to colonize the latest asteroid. In this way fiber can grow even on the first asteroid.

My last base using the stable branch played out just like this: An Oasisse map without any drecko or reef fiber.

=> Not having atmo suits isn´t really a problem, but beeing able to use jet suits before you ever could build atmo suits feels just wrong

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

My last base using the stable branch played out just like this: An Oasisse map without any drecko or reef fiber.

=> Not having atmo suits isn´t really a problem, but beeing able to use jet suits before you ever could build atmo suits feels just wrong

depends on the map.  Jet suits need petroleum so oil.  My oil biome was 350C....

4 hours ago, Abi.m said:

They should also introduce steel, tungsten, and thermium atmo suits which allow dupes to go into magma without getting burnt to crisp.

To go to Magma it would be much more sense to make atmosuit from insulation. Thermium with it's highest possible conductivity would make boiled dupe inside :)

Archived