Anyone else wanting better world generation ?

I think the current world generation model is outdated and should be improved upon, especially the way land and water are distributed..

Every time i come back to play some DST i find myself in the situation where i am generating worlds for days in order to get one that's suitable for my needs..

I think part of the game is to adapt to a random world, and make the best at what you have. Finding one "suitable for your needs" doesn't really make sense, because every world has the same stuff, just arranged in a different way. So, technically, every world suits the player's needs.

57 minutes ago, WainingWabbits said:

Every time i come back to play some DST i find myself in the situation where i am generating worlds for days in order to get one that's suitable for my needs..

That is um... weird. You might want to check the root of that behavior instead.

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

I think part of the game is to adapt to a random world, and make the best at what you have. Finding one "suitable for your needs" doesn't really make sense, because every world has the same stuff, just arranged in a different way. So, technically, every world suits the player's needs.

Not really. Some worlds only have one Walrus Camp instead of four.

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

Not every world.. you can turn on/off, more/less certain features, and in my worlds I have random weather season and season lengths set- I enjoy the challenge of NOT being able to predict when a season will start and exactly what day it’ll end on.

If you leave bosses like Deerclops and Bearger toggled on then you could end having them show up so little or so often, I mean random IS RANDOM after all..

Is it the default way of playing? No of course not.. but my point is the game can be as easy or as hard as you personally feel like playing it at the time, so my response: Yes we need more World Gen Options.

3 hours ago, thegreatJash said:

Well, it's more about the layout of the world than how many set pieces/resources there are, i usually want to mega base, so i am looking for the following in my worlds..

1. the oasis to not be on the edge of the desert..

2. big squared chunks of land so i have space to build stuff..

3. not so many branches and "rivers" that separate the biomes..

Something a little bit more like the second picture instead of the first picture.. more islands would be nice as well, since we have boats now..

1before.jpg

1before2.jpg

4 hours ago, WainingWabbits said:

I think the current world generation model is outdated and should be improved upon

Yes! Some worlds are just too darn ugly. Ive had 10 tile biomes. Super skinny biomes. Pig king/moon stone right on the edge or outside his biome. Intertwined biomes. Mini biomes inside other biomes. On the ps4 if you delete a world and instantly make a new one they get progressively worse. Closing the application before starting a new world works best for me.

I completely forgot to add the absolute worst culprit to this problem, REEDS. Everytime I make a world I look for my swamp first. If I count less than 30 reeds thats an instant reset. 30+ reeds isnt rare btw I once had a world with over 60. Ill find very rare worlds with just 2 reeds lmao. Of course I burn them before reset because it makes me feel like I gave that swamp a spanking. 

Your second picture has favoured the "loop" layout, which you can change in your world gen settings before you create a new world. You could change loops to "always" and change branches to "never". My friend and I have been using this type of map recently and each biome feels like it has has much more space. A looped world also feels like it has minimum size requirement when generating the map, so the difference between a small map and and huge map isn't as noticeable when compared to small and huge "branched" map, at least not to me anyway.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

and in my worlds I have random weather season and season lengths set- I enjoy the challenge of NOT being able to predict when a season will start and exactly what day it’ll end on.

I never thought of that, it sounds like a lot of fun to try!

It appear I've made a mod (DYM) for this exact reason. I'm looking to play for a very long time on a same world, however it's multiplayer or singleplayer, the map sometimes feels empty, regarding setpieces, or even ressource generation and biome placement. Try the mod if you don't mind extra not-very-vanilla worldgen settings. However, the best option would be if the game get improvements by itself on a future update. I think proper rivers and diversified shapes of biomes would do a great addition, and for what I've tried with the current worldgen (not used) settings, it can get real fancy. :)

15 minutes ago, ADM said:

It appear I've made a mod (DYM) for this exact reason. I'm looking to play for a very long time on a same world, however it's multiplayer or singleplayer, the map sometimes feels empty, regarding setpieces, or even ressource generation and biome placement. Try the mod if you don't mind extra not-very-vanilla worldgen settings. However, the best option would be if the game get improvements by itself on a future update. I think proper rivers and diversified shapes of biomes would do a great addition, and for what I've tried with the current worldgen (not used) settings, it can get real fancy. :)

I feel like everyone is misunderstanding me, i don't care that much about the amount of resources on the map, but the geometrical shape of the biomes, i'd like them to be more chunky, more rounded/squared, with less rivers separating them..

2 minutes ago, WainingWabbits said:

I feel like everyone is misunderstanding me, i don't care that much about the amount of resources on the map, but the geometrical shape of the biomes, i'd like them to be more chunky, more rounded/squared, with less rivers separating them..

You can do that with the existing world gen settings, as has already been suggested. Set branching to never.

Agreed! No more using boats as bridges. But more importantly, we need this for cave generation as it has way more branching paths that never connect and you can't even place boats to connect them there. It would change the way we think about using lazy explorer and soul hopping as Wortox. Explorer and forager too really need more durability or the option to add fuel like the yellow amulet. They are such fun items you rarely get to use.

54 minutes ago, WainingWabbits said:

You got it all wrong, check below

As per my last email, you can do this with the existing settings. Set branching to none. Set looping to always. It gets you a ring world with minimal separation every time. I've played with those settings more than enough to know what they do.

22 minutes ago, Monkey Cups said:

As per my last email, you can do this with the existing settings. Set branching to none. Set looping to always. It gets you a ring world with minimal separation every time. I've played with those settings more than enough to know what they do.

As i told you before, that's not it, did you even look at the pictures i posted ? here, with land looping.. zoom in on pictures

3before.jpg

3before2.jpg

Alright, I've taken some pictures of maps that have the same seeds, but different settings. (I used Gem Core API to make them have the same seed) I didn't do all the combinations, but here they are. Hopefully one of them is to your liking.

Default Settings

Spoiler

20201201172819_1.thumb.jpg.7502f2a8564a83117bbe5f7b2b2bfd23.jpg

Least Branches

Spoiler

20201201173807_1.thumb.jpg.40384568272353441f1ac38a131d95e2.jpg

Always Loops

Spoiler

20201201174238_1.thumb.jpg.e555f91df3f22fcc9fc5637081e5af8f.jpg

Least Branches + Always Loops

Spoiler

20201201174641_1.thumb.jpg.832656cfad9df1f0ad8d63a355ef7fe9.jpg

Never Branches

Spoiler

20201201175032_1.thumb.jpg.770df2744a6bde00e558d2e43628c25c.jpg

Never Loops

Spoiler

20201201175530_1.thumb.jpg.2c9fb85db25d9df0f27f82117c98939b.jpg

The seed is 1606865144 BTW.

I would but I fear for the effects it may have on mods that have worldgen aspects.

Personally, I would like a bit more randomness in my worldgen.

For instance, what if the pig king spawned in an evergreen forest like in DS sometimes instead of the decid?

What if sometimes the decid had the graveyard and meteor area in it?

What if the swamp had an area with a ton of frog ponds?

Stuff like this basically, worldgen to me is pretty predictable and having worldgen that was more random, but at the same time not utter chaos would be pretty nice.

I'm pretty sure @WainingWabbits (great username btw) was talking about that :

Here's a totally randomly generated map :mapdst1.thumb.png.2b449cbbaf5308cccfa3e4cd637b989e.png

This map is a pretty good example of bad gen.

Let me zoom on some parts of the maps for example :dst2.thumb.png.40e484b69b82ca5bbde23b02ebeae888.png

Here, those 3 biomes have some rivers separating them (it's where the red line is, if you have very bad eyes), it's ugly, and absolutely not ideal for a megabase, the magma ponds are really close to the borders of the biome, which is way less suitable for megabase than in the middle of the biome.

Same here :

dst3.thumb.png.fde3d8e116c6d25f4ebf72ed70e78805.png

Why is there water here ? The map would be prettier without it ! (even if myself, I like the seperate biomes with the rivers, I understand why it's considered ugly) And just, that big pond that makes the biomes way way tinier, it's ugly, if it was a big chunk of land, it could be a pretty spot to base I imagine.

I'm sorry if it's not what you where talking about @WainingWabbits but I was pretty confident about that.

7 hours ago, Orangex said:

Your second picture has favoured the "loop" layout, which you can change in your world gen settings before you create a new world. You could change loops to "always" and change branches to "never". My friend and I have been using this type of map recently and each biome feels like it has has much more space. A looped world also feels like it has minimum size requirement when generating the map, so the difference between a small map and and huge map isn't as noticeable when compared to small and huge "branched" map, at least not to me anyway.

Hmm... You should actually look at the two pictures, it's the same map, the second it's just @WainingWabbits who drew on it, there's no loop layout favored in it. x)

Archived