My opinions on the Bunnymen nerf and suggestions for it

With the new update being tested, I will bring my opinions on the Bunnymen nerf.

Before the update they always give 75%meat, 25%puff and 2 carrots. Now they only give 37.5% meat, 37.5% carrot and 25% puff. I know Klei wants to adjust their loot so that we need to use the farming system more to produce the carrots needed for building more bunny hutches. However  I find the nerf to be a bit too much. Reducing from 200% carrot drop rate to measly 37.5% is the first problem. Bunnymen tends to eat carrots dropped on the ground very fast, so a bunnymen farm may result in giving zero carrots, so making more bunny hutches is hard without using the farm. And yes, you can collect them before they get eaten, but misclick on meat and you become a ghost. The lower rate of dropping meat is also a problem. It makes Bunnymen a fairly bad source of food now, which makes farming them a bit boring and unworthy.

My suggestions would be:

_Slightly buff up their loot drop table, 75% meat, 25% puff, and a seperate 75% carrot drop.

_Change the bunny hutch recipe, only require 5 or 6 carrots instead of 10, given their current terrible carrot drop rate.

Also, I am a newcomer to this forum, so, any feedback would help a lot, thanks.

50 minutes ago, Spino43 said:

I am a newcomer to this forum

did i hear newcomer?welcome to the forums.hope you enjoy your time here

anyways i haven't tried the new beta(and i can't try the new beta) so i can't rally give my opinion on if its bad or not.but it does sound like a pretty big nerf

Now you just need to start building your bunny farm earlier, hammering twice as many hutches if you are after the meat, or 6 times more if you are after the carrot. Simply expand your bunny farm and your problems goes away. In some way, Klei just encouraged us to build LARGER bunny farms. MOAR, LARGAR, BETTAR!

They still spawn way faster than pigs. Pigs drop meat more often so you can just add a pig farm to supplement your bunny farm. I generally pass by pigs when I have some monster meat so it's already a guaranteed 2 meat per pig every 4 days for minimal effort.

As for carrots, I guess part of the reason they did that is to make the new farms more useful. Bunnyman drops were sort of OP to begin with. I mean they even give beard hair.

I suppose they can do 25% meat, 50% carrot, 25% puff. Pigs exist if you want meat.

Why bother with building Bunnymen farm if you can just spam 10 bee boxes and not thinking about food anymore, besides there is no reason for a larger carrot drop rate because it is now much easier to just farm them with new farming system

Its a pretty massive nerf for sure. I too feel like a separate carrot drop chance and a chance for the meat or puff would be a bit more fair. One single item is a little rough considering Bunnymen are stronger, more troublesome (pigs will never attack unless provoked) and much harder to set up than Pigs are.

It took a pretty long time to set up my Bunnyman BQ arena with the old drop rates, I can't imagine how tedious it would be now. You can get crazy amount of carrots from the new farms but puffs are going to be real hard to come by now.

4 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Do they actually though? I thought it was reduced?

So then only the carrot drop is nerfed correct?

It went from 2 Carrots + Meat(0.75)/Puff(0.25) to Carrot(0.375)/Meat(0.375)/Puff(0.25).

So meat drop rate was halved and carrot drop rate was massively reduced.

However, in both cases, you have a 25% chance to get a puff and a 75% chance to get something else.

Bunnymen were openly overcentralising food farming, being overpowered on every aspect : accessibility, reliability, efficiency and so on. Now you can finally not use them for everything without willingly getting rid (in a challenge like attitude) of what would be the best option.

I understand what you mean but I honnestly think Klei just did us an enormous favor here, and I highly encourage them to crusade THIS type of balance problem in the game the same way.

I think Klei did a good job. This is an "uncompromising survival game". I hope that dst will become more and more challenging instead of becoming a boring resource-gathering game. Some players have been comfortable for too long and don't want to get out of their comfort zone. I am very happy that klei finally took the first step in changing the core mechanics of the game. Think about it a few years ago, dst even used technology points to unlock items, then look at the current dst, which is constantly evolving and updating. What I personally want to do is to adapt to it. Accept new things and challenges.

5 minutes ago, CameoAppearance said:

If that was just for bunnymen then whatever, but if you mean in general, that would be a serious blow to Webber players. Who have enough problems with obsolescence as it is, after the Wendy and Woodie reworks.

comparing an unupdated character with two updated characters doesn't seem exactly fair

I think bunnymen drop tables are balanced now, they respawn every night, so you can potentially farm them every day if you wanted to.

Also If you really really want to have a lot of them in an area, the most efficient way may be to get a bunch of deconstruction staves and move the originals with no materials loss, and then reproduce them the usual way + carrots farms. Or you could even do the deconstruction staff and construction amulet combo whenever you have some green gems too.

Given how powerful they always were, it's probably worth it. We just got used to them being too cheap.

I've played this game for a few years now and I've grown to appreciate the Bunnyman and it's older loot table.  I understand that the new update is promoting farming, but ironically, it has ruined my farming.  My main is Wigfrid and the only consistent source of meat, especially with her hunger, has been the Bunnymen.  I have read the above posts and I don't think recommending someone to get a bunch of deconstruction staffs to relocate Bunnyman hutches without losing materials is feasible.  Additionally, the 2 carrot drop (before) allowed the pickup of at least one carrot because the Bunnyman ate the other.  Bunnyman are more dangerous than pigs because if you miss click while picking up loot, you can be killed by them.  They are a main source of food for me because of their spawn rate.  It takes a long time for Wigfrid to create a Bunnyman farm and it's just as much effort as those that take care of there Vegetable farms.  Let's put this another way.  Before, 3 items dropped from a Bunnyman (2 carrots + either a Bunny puff or meat). The drop rate was reduced from 3 items to 1.  I used my farm today (25 Bunnymen) and ended up with 9 meat and 4 Bunny puffs.  I had ZERO carrots on the ground.  This is a huge issue for Wigfrid players.  Everyone has their favorite character for a reason and I've never cared for farming vegetables.  I believe a fair compromise is to consider updating the loot table to two drops per Bunnyman death.  Guarantee 1 Carrot & 1 of these items (Bunny puff, Meat, Carrot). This will provide a more balanced supply of carrots regardless of season for Bunnyman.  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Wigfrid Main said:

I've played this game for a few years now and I've grown to appreciate the Bunnyman and it's older loot table.  I understand that the new update is promoting farming, but ironically, it has ruined my farming.  My main is Wigfrid and the only consistent source of meat, especially with her hunger, has been the Bunnymen.  I have read the above posts and I don't think recommending someone to get a bunch of deconstruction staffs to relocate Bunnyman hutches without losing materials is feasible.  Additionally, the 2 carrot drop (before) allowed the pickup of at least one carrot because the Bunnyman ate the other.  Bunnyman are more dangerous than pigs because if you miss click while picking up loot, you can be killed by them.  They are a main source of food for me because of their spawn rate.  It takes a long time for Wigfrid to create a Bunnyman farm and it's just as much effort as those that take care of there Vegetable farms.  Let's put this another way.  Before, 3 items dropped from a Bunnyman (2 carrots + either a Bunny puff or meat). The drop rate was reduced from 3 items to 1.  I used my farm today (25 Bunnymen) and ended up with 9 meat and 4 Bunny puffs.  I had ZERO carrots on the ground.  This is a huge issue for Wigfrid players.  Everyone has their favorite character for a reason and I've never cared for farming vegetables.  I believe a fair compromise is to consider updating the loot table to two drops per Bunnyman death.  Guarantee 1 Carrot & 1 of these items (Bunny puff, Meat, Carrot). This will provide a more balanced supply of carrots regardless of season for Bunnyman.  Thanks!

I'm also a Wigfrid Main. I'm not loving the new Bunnyman drops but I do get it. I would like a compromise for them to drop two items or maybe one with a 50% chance for two or something similar but I'm also happy if we don't get one.

I have a barnacle farm setup, a small area where Bunnymen and Merms are fighting every evening/night, full moon pig farm, catcoon butter farm that also accumulates lots of morsels etc and between all these various farms and set ups (most are not very big or overly resource intensive either) I can easily supplement my diet with extra the majority of the time as long as I focus on gathering a bunch of meat from time to time and cooking a whole ton of food. Ice Chester and Bundling Wraps (or the super cheap Gift Wrap right now - seriously stock up on this) and keeping all your raw ingredients in a Salt Box instead of an Ice Box keeps your food and meals fresher for so much longer.

The Bunnyman wars you could start before did result in a bit of a ridiculous amount of food to the point where you didn't really need to do anything else for food unless you wanted to change up your diet for whatever reason.

Also as far as vegetables go, between a small kelp setup, 8 or so mushroom planters (good all year except Winter) and a handful of Stone Fruit bushes you can avoid farming altogether if you don't care for it, or you can set up bee boxes and live off Honey Nuggets and Honey Ham avoiding using vegetables altogether. Alternatively farm enough meat and focus solely on it and you can live off Jerky and Bacon and Eggs which only require meat and a caged bird.

Yes the Bunnyman nerf hurts but there are plenty of ways to still earn more or less just as much meat, also this way you have a more varied diet and will inevitably end up with more other handy resources that various mobs drop. Boss Farming drops a fair bit of meat as well, killing every Moose/Goose and her children at the start of Spring can give you enough meat for the year with bundling wrap.. you can even use Bunnymen to take her down real quick - 12 or so Bunnymen usually take down two Moose/Goose for me and their drops more or less replace the carrots I use to recruit them.

Edit: Forget to mention Leafy Meat farms, set up enough Lureplants (with Turf to keep eyeplants away) and you can easily live off Leafy Meat alone - some of the recipes are great (albeit quickly to perish) and it grows back at a stupidly fast rate - you would only need an alternative for Winter when they don't grow.

Archived