What do you think of the current nutrient system?

What do you think of the current nutrient system?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want the current Nutrient system to stay the same, reworked to be simpler/ less time consuming or removed entirely?

• I think it's fine as is.
    • I think it should be simpler.
    • I think it should be removed.

Personally I feel that:

• digging the land
  • planting the seeds
  • make sure they're in the right season
  • putting seeds of the same family together
  • watering them
  • tending to them
  • waiting a couple days for them to grow

Is kind of enough steps for farming. This is as much as most actual farming games like Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon would ask of you. Balancing a nutrient system on top of that (keeping track of which nutrients a plant needs, which they produce and which fertilizer you need to use) just seems like an unnecessarily complicated step. I'm okay with needing to fertilize your crops every once in a while but the current system just feels like another thing to look up on the wiki then browse the forums for whatever the optimal self sustaining combos are.

I honestly have no idea how the fertilization mechanic works. but what I do know is that you can plant certain crops together, like onions and durians, that have opposite fertilizations so that you don't need to worry about it...

I think that they should simply make it one type of fertilization. Rather than having multiple types.

22 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I honestly have no idea how the fertilization mechanic works. but what I do know is that you can plant certain crops together, like onions and durians, that have opposite fertilizations so that you don't need to worry about it...

I think that they should simply make it one type of fertilization. Rather than having multiple types.

Its pretty simple. 3 types of Fertilizers. Poop, compost, formula. Some plants consume one, while producing another. You can look it up in the plant registry, once you've unlocked the basic 5 growth stages of the plant. 

8 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Its pretty simple. 3 types of Fertilizers. Poop, compost, formula. Some plants consume one, while producing another. You can look it up in the plant registry, once you've unlocked the basic 5 growth stages of the plant. 

god damn that sounds like FUN figuring out what plants like and don't like and how to tend to them sounds like the best thing ever but sadly im one of those sad losers who plays on console so i will have to wait 

It really goes back to the roots of Don't Starve-trial and error.

You either learn the more you experiment or play, or if you'd rather not you can just look up what other people have found, including 'meta' setups.

It's really not that different from anything else.

I love it.

The purpose of the nutrient system is to prevent players from growing only one type of plant. Before the update, agriculture was often limited to the dragon fruits. With the new system it is more advantageous to have a variety of plants.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, SpookyXy said:

Personally I feel that:

• digging the land
  • planting the seeds
  • make sure they're in the right season
  • putting seeds of the same family together
  • watering them
  • tending to them
  • waiting a couple days for them to grow

Is kind of enough steps for farming. This is as much as most actual farming games like Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon would ask of you. Balancing a nutrient system on top of that (keeping track of which nutrients a plant needs, which they produce and which fertilizer you need to use) just seems like an unnecessarily complicated step. I'm okay with needing to fertilize your crops every once in a while but the current system just feels like another thing to look up on the wiki then browse the forums for whatever the optimal self sustaining combos are.

YES!!  At first, I was like "Cool, now Don't Starve's farming can be more like Harvest Moon!" (or Stardew Valley)  And THEN I heard about the nutrient stuff.  My first reaction?

My brain went blank and my eyes wanted to cross, just like when someone tries to explain a complicated math thing.

It's just...too...much...to keep track of!  Why can't we have just the seasonality and having to worry about watering and weeds?  That's what I thought it was gonna be!  Why the different forumulas vs manure and having to remember all these numbers?

I haven't actually played the beta yet.  At all.  I _do_ use farming in my game, so I don't want to try it until I at least vaguely have the new system comfortably down, and this nutrient requirement part isn't helping.

(general sadness about the new update that isn't directly related to the nutrient system, which is why I spoilered it)

Spoiler

Also this seems kind of a problem for those who play on their own, 'cos if I go away on a long exploring/gathering trip, my crops will die from lack of being watered.  I've already had a bird die that way--twice--I don't wanna do that to plants as well.)

ALSO also kinda sad that crops will now no longer just be immortal as long as you don't pick them.  That was a big help in the winter (if you wanted stuff other than just meatballs).  I know, that was a nerf that was probably a long time coming, as the leave-it-on-the-crockpot strategy broke with Reign of Giants and the crop thing was similar, but....sigh...

...Notorious

People seem to love making food combinations for a plot farm to balance nutrients. What if I just want to grow stacks of dragonfruit for beefalo taming. Why do I need to grow other plants just for it to be in nutrient balance?

1 hour ago, KeshS said:

What if I just want to grow stacks of dragonfruit

Who says you cant do that? you'll just have to supply the nutrients urself in the form of fertilizers, that is if your aim is to produce Giant crops. (also, in what scenario are extra hunger/hp points in the form of secondary crops a bad thing when the goal is feeding a beefalo? :D)

1 hour ago, KeshS said:

Why do I need to grow other plants just for it to be in nutrient balance?

Nutrient balance and plant happiness in general serves the purpose of making them Giant. You can ignore the crops or do minimal care like watering once a day and you will still get 1 fruit and 1 crop seed if it is in season. 

You are rewarded with Giant crops when you put in extra effort, if you do not put in that effort you are rewarded less (edit: but still more or equal to the old way of farming). Sounds more than acceptable to me 

38 minutes ago, KeshS said:

People seem to love making food combinations for a plot farm to balance nutrients. What if I just want to grow stacks of dragonfruit for beefalo taming. Why do I need to grow other plants just for it to be in nutrient balance?

if you plant another plant that helps the dragon fruit you will get giant dragon fruits that will give you a stupid amount of seeds and fruits

give to the beefalo the leftovers or make you a yummy dinner but the thing is that is way more efficient and less time consuming that having a giant field of improved farms with only 1 kind of plant

Archived