food that doesn't use land

I assume by "land" you mean dirt (used for fertilization).

You've got several choices:

1) make more dirt - it's pretty easy.  Trees with Pips, especially wild planted trees, baking polluted dirt or algae or slime, etc.

2) use a food item that doesn't need dirt for fertilization.  There's berries, beans, lettuce, meat (bbq), fish, etc.

My colonies typically use a mixture of berries (water only), bbq, and fish as my staples.  Everything else is just variety.

There is no way to reduce dupe calorie consumption except killing off dupes. Well, late-game you can put them into a rocket, either into the command capsule or the sight-seeing module. That will reduce both oxygen and food consumption to zero. 

2 hours ago, manotroll said:

it ended and I never raised animals
how do i get more land?
the food will end in a few cycles: \

not sure that this game is designed only for vegetarian dupes. i think you still need animals as well

unfortunately you cant eat your other dupes as well, its not designed todo that 

if you not want that your dupes die and you not have other change , you can enable sandbox mode and fix your issues

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

You can either heat polluted water until it evaporates, and results in steam and dirt. Or you can switch to brizzle berrys. They consume only water.

i have some brizzle berries
it is very difficult to get these seeds

40 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

not sure that this game is designed only for vegetarian dupes. i think you still need animals as well

unfortunately you cant eat your other dupes as well, its not designed todo that 

if you not want that your dupes die and you not have other change , you can enable sandbox mode and fix your issues

I don't know how to raise animals
have any tutorial?
create to eat meat

50 minutes ago, manotroll said:

I don't know how to raise animals
have any tutorial?
create to eat meat

make and add grooming station for your animal rooms , with that you groom them and then its increase eggs drop.

not sure if there are actually any good tutorial. all youtube video clips are too long and random talks what is just waste off time

this is my typical farm, at here i todo slime for mushrooms also makes meat and eggs

farm.thumb.png.daa0165c0af05603f7dbc8b9320c38ba.png

OK, so it sounds like you're very new to the game.  So let's go over some small basics.

1) Food: 

In the early game you can dig up muckroot/hexalent fruit to keep you going for awhile.

You can very early plant Mealwood into planters or farm tiles which grow pretty quickly.

Bristle Berries are a good medium level food.  They take only water and can be eaten as is or cooked for better quality.

Note that for berries you do have to have hydroponic tiles and a light source (you can get away with not having the hydroponics, but it means more dupe time moving water around).

Mushrooms are good if you have a nice source of slime around, but slime carries Slimelung and can be problematic if you don't deal with it.

Later on, you start ranching animals.  Pacu are fish and make fish fillets (even better when cooked).  Hatches are a good source of food, requiring only rocks to eat (and they make coal).  To farm animals, you get them into a room and build a grooming station.  You'll need a rancher to use it.  Fish just need to be in a pool of water (if you want to tame them so they reproduce faster, you'll need a fish feeder and a LOT of algae).

Here's a small example of two of my farming/ranching areas.  I've stopped feeding the hatches as I have over 60 of them in there [when they are in their digs, they don't get crowded or unhappy, so reproduction still continues].  Now I'm just letting them grow and then starve to death.

image.thumb.png.a69e2904afd659444e475ee44b1e4a1f.png

What is important to understand is that there is "starting food", "intermediate food" and "endgame food" (approximately).

The "starting food" (everything you can dig up, mush bars, critters to kill) will not get you very far, maybe cycle 100....500, depending on the map and what you use. 

The "intermediate food" (domesticated Mealwood or Bristle Blossoms, for example, before you have sustainable dirt, water, temperature control) will get you much father, but longer-term you will need to replace it. Depending on map and approach this is somewhere in the range to cycle 500...5000 before it needs replacement.

The "endgame food" is what you will need in the end. This can be a lot of different things. "Wild" gardens, critter farming, mush bars with sustainable water and dirt, domesticated farming with all needed input sustainable and temperature control, etc. The point is that this will produce indefinitely and never run out. This can contribute to moral but does not need to. You _can_ run a colony indefinitely on mush-bars if you have the water and dirt and there are valid scenarios for that. 

At every step there are different options. And remember, everything that works is ok. Some people like to claim there is a "way things are meant to be done" usually citing "what the developers intended" as "instruction from the gods", but that is just nonsense. Ignore them. The real and only test of any approach in ONI is whether it works.

A big reason to get off mealwood is not just that it consumes dirt. There are asteroid types with huge amounts of it, so it's not always a big issue. But it's also very labor intensive and you need lots of it. You need 5 mealwood plants per dupe. For mushrooms or bristle berry it's only 3.

Second, foods have different qualities: https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Food_Quality

And mealwood is terrible. Barbeque is pretty overpowered in the game. Easy to make by ranching hatches and a food quality of 3, which gives +8 morale

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

What is important to understand is that there is "starting food", "intermediate food" and "endgame food" (approximately).

The "starting food" (everything you can dig up, mush bars, critters to kill) will not get you very far, maybe cycle 100....500, depending on the map and what you use. 

The "intermediate food" (domesticated Mealwood or Bristle Blossoms, for example, before you have sustainable dirt, water, temperature control) will get you much father, but longer-term you will need to replace it. Depending on map and approach this is somewhere in the range to cycle 500...5000 before it needs replacement.

The "endgame food" is what you will need in the end. This can be a lot of different things. "Wild" gardens, critter farming, mush bars with sustainable water and dirt, domesticated farming with all needed input sustainable and temperature control, etc. The point is that this will produce indefinitely and never run out. This can contribute to moral but does not need to. You _can_ run a colony indefinitely on mush-bars if you have the water and dirt and there are valid scenarios for that. 

At every step there are different options. And remember, everything that works is ok. Some people like to claim there is a "way things are meant to be done" usually citing "what the developers intended" as "instruction from the gods", but that is just nonsense. Ignore them. The real and only test of any approach in ONI is whether it works.

That's one style of playing.

To me, mealwood is a starting food, it almost never lasts past cycle 100. It's what I need to do whule I'm waiting ofr my ranches to go online.

Given the bad quality of the food, you're forced into early morale management with buildings or other stuff if you want to carry mealwood to midgame and still support your builds.

An intermediate food source would be stone hatches. While not fully renewable (at least not until you have a regolith melter, which isn't your typical midgame build), they can last 500-1000 cycles depending on the size of the population. BBQ quality supports most midgame builds w/o any other morale management required.

If the map supports it (you have a lot of wild sleet wheat), Berry Sludge can be a good midgame food, but it takes 5 wild sleet wheat plants and 1.5 domesticated berry per dup. 

1 hour ago, TheMule said:

That's one style of playing.

I do not disagree with your examples. I just used numbers and foods for illustration. But almost everybody does the following progression (with optional additional steps in-between):

1. Use what is there
  2. Fix the problem temporarily
  3. Fix the problem permanently

Some _may_ be able to skip step 2, but that is it. Same for oxygen, same for cooling.

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:
  • Use what is there
  • Fix the problem temporarily
  • Fix the problem permanently

Well yes, nothing wrong about that.

I just see it a  bit differently:

1. use what is there

2. very short term solution (time scale ~100 cycles)

3. mid to long term solution (time scale ~1000 cycles)

4. fully sustainable solution (>1000 cycles)

Generally speaking:

1 and 2 are early game,

3 midgame

4 endgame

but it's not set in stone, for example 2. for oxygen could be oxyferns on some maps, then you get to 4 (SPOM) w/o a 3. In other maps, with plenty of algae, 2 and 3 are a bit mixed together as diffusers can go a long way from the start.
Power is another example... manual gens are 2 (there's no 1), coal can be 3, but nothing prevents you from building a petroleum boiler at around cycle 250 (and I mean w/o specifically rushing for it), with water loop for wells and all. Meaning, phase 3 for power can be shorter than 1000c.

3 hours ago, TheMule said:

Well yes, nothing wrong about that.

I just see it a  bit differently:

1. use what is there

2. very short term solution (time scale ~100 cycles)

3. mid to long term solution (time scale ~1000 cycles)

4. fully sustainable solution (>1000 cycles)

Sure, each step in here can be repeated and you can even go back. The point is there is three different types of phases and you need to be aware that only "fully sustainable" does not eventually run into problems.

I'm using the plate that grows with water and light at the moment so the earth is no longer a problem
but now the base is starting to get hot: \
I have to find a way to cool
at the moment i'm using the cold breathing plants but it won't last long

On 11/3/2020 at 1:46 AM, gabberworld said:

For that, i never bother with ranches (for food, still use them for plastic and phosperite) and my dupes mostly eat stuffed berries or pepper bread(depends on the map), grow the berries in main base, grow pincha peppernut near the industrial block(use heat that leak out).

14 hours ago, manotroll said:

I'm using the plate that grows with water and light at the moment so the earth is no longer a problem
but now the base is starting to get hot/ :
I have to find a way to cool
at the moment i'm using the cold breathing plants but it won't last long

Go get dreckos(for phosperite) if you can't get ATST, would sustain you for some time before ATST. A alternative would be AETN, pump hydrogen into it, pump water near it, bring cold water back out, if you have cold plants, there would be a cold biome, spam ice tempshife plate everywhere, or pump water to the ice biome and back. Or if you are playing modded, you can use the more generators mod(which i am using while playing on tetrament hot biomes all around, no time for ATST(barely rushed it), and no ice biome around)

Aqua Turner Steam Turbine cooling system, water loop through 1 or 2 aqua turner in water a nd the aqua turner will release heat into the water and boil it and the steam turbine will turn the steam back to water.

You need to get plastic to make a steam turbine, which means either getting to the oil biome and setting up an oil refinery and polymer press, or breeding and shearing some glossy drakeoes.  The former makes a lot of heat, but the latter can take quite a bit of time.

If you need some cooling before you can get to that, the ice maker works nicely.  It takes little power and deletes 20% of the heat it pumps out of the ice so you can just keep making ice and letting it melt to cool the area back off and it will end up cooler than when it started, or you will end up with extra ice that you can put in other areas that need some cooling.

Also watch the water consumption on the bristle berries.  I almost never use them since usually water is a precious commodity and they take around 60 kg of water per dupe per cycle to feed your colony.  If you are lucky enough to have a cool water geyser then go for it, but otherwise, mushrooms only take around 5 kg of slime per cycle per dupe and eventually if you need more slime you can ranch a few pufts to turn 5kg of pwater into the slime needed for the mushrooms.  You also need to grow fewer of them and they need harvested less often so it takes less space and labor than bristle berries.

On 11/2/2020 at 4:27 PM, Soulwind said:

I assume by "land" you mean dirt (used for fertilization).

BTW I forgot to mention. Fun fact, the following English words:

dirt, soil, ground, earth (and Earth), land,

can all be translated in Italian with the word 'terra' (and Terra).

15 hours ago, manotroll said:

so I'm using it now but it's not cooling

https://i.imgur.com/13NyEfA.png

I must have missed something.

Anyway, there's no way a AETN can cool down the output of a refinery. The refinery outputs (roughtly) 200kDTU/s (gold) to 2,000kDTU/s (steel), the AETN cools down for -80kDTU/s. You need steam turbines.

You can use a refinery like that, but only for 15-30 jobs, then the pool is too hot. Also, do not mix water and pwater... if you fill the refinery with water above 44C and produce steel, the output pipe is going to break.

15 hours ago, manotroll said:

in Portuguese land and land, even fertilizer and something else

"Terra" is the best example but also "tempo" isn't bad. It can be translated both as "time" and "weather". I believe it's exactly the same in Portuguese.

Archived