Wigfrid is German.

6 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

"Die Walküre" is german for The Valkyrie, a role that wigfrid obviously plays.

What if she's American or a migrant who is doing the role because it is a Germanic performance? I imagine if a actor does the Three Penny Opera in German, it does not change their nationality?

The poster is just a reference to the opera that Wigfrid's character is inspired by, which happens to be German. She might be playing the role of a valkyrie, but it's not the same valkyrie as the main character of Die Walküre. 

1 minute ago, meowswing said:

I think Wolfgang is more probably German (East German) than Wigfrid, but if she is German, it is cool too.

That's my father's assumption too. Not exactly sure where people are getting the Russian theory from. His military uniform seems way more Germain/Prussian.

latest?cb=20171005145035

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

That's my father's assumption too. Not exactly sure where people are getting the Russian theory from. His military uniform seems way more Germain/Prussian.

latest?cb=20171005145035

I think because of his comment of hammer and sickle, which is the communist icon and the most famous is certainly USSR. yet East Germany was communist under the USSR's control. Wolfgang is also a very common German name.

As for Wigfrid, I think I read somewhere that her original name is not Wigfrid, that's just the name of her character.

@minespatch But I might be wrong too. Many inaugural characters of the DST seems to be active around late 19thCentury and very early 20thCentury, while East Germany only happens after WWII. Anyhow, we don't have a lot of clues about the timeline of Woodie, Warly, and Wigfrid, and Walter definitely came into the Constant much later than perhaps all of the characters, so there still is a slight possibility of the East German theory. If he is not from East Germany era, then he might be influenced by Marxist ideologies, since the ideology is popular in Germany and German speaking areas since far before WWII.

46 minutes ago, meowswing said:

I think because of his comment of hammer and sickle, which is the communist icon and the most famous is certainly USSR. yet East Germany was communist under the USSR's control. Wolfgang is also a very common German name.

As for Wigfrid, I think I read somewhere that her original name is not Wigfrid, that's just the name of her character.

@minespatch But I might be wrong too. Many inaugural characters of the DST seems to be active around late 19thCentury and very early 20thCentury, while East Germany only happens after WWII. Anyhow, we don't have a lot of clues about the timeline of Woodie, Warly, and Wigfrid, and Walter definitely came into the Constant much later than perhaps all of the characters, so there still is a slight possibility of the East German theory. If he is not from East Germany era, then he might be influenced by Marxist ideologies, since the ideology is popular in Germany and German speaking areas since far before WWII.

also, he refers to the Crabby Hermit as  babushka or something, which is Russian for grandma. (At least that's what the wiki states.)

Well LMAO Wolfgang is one hell of a cosmopolitan character. Maybe he just traveled well (with his circus?) and picked up some local habits here and there? I think the Babushka actually leans more to the Soviet controlled East Germany, but well, I don't know much.

Also his favorite food being potato is a super on the nose reference to USSR.

And Wigfrid might also be Austrian due to operas being the peak of higj culture in Vienna at the time. But with what we have, I think the most accurate guess we have is that she's Geman-Bavarian, just like Richard Wagner, the composer of Die Walküre opera.

Also if we're basing her German roots just from Die Walküre, that's an incredible weak connection. The original name of her opera play is Die Walküre. Even if she was a performance actress from Turkey, Russia, Poland or Libya, her play poster would read Die Walküre, since they would likely be performing it in its original language, as is the tradition in opera plays.

4 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Also his favorite food being potato is a super on the nose reference to USSR.

And Wigfrid might also be Austrian due to operas being the peak of higj culture in Vienna at the time. But with what we have, I think the most accurate guess we have is that she's Geman-Bavarian, just like Richard Wagner, the composer of Die Walküre opera.

Actually the Germans LOVE potatos, too.

41 minutes ago, meowswing said:

Actually the Germans LOVE potatos, too.

Heh, I think people from all nations love potatoes, it's like the ice cream of vegetables. It's no surprise that potato fries became a universal garnment option near dishes from all cuisines.

That said, I think potato has a little stronger connotation to USSR given how entire federal states were designated for potato production to feed the entire union as per the state led economic policies macromanaging the production. Today whole potatoes became almost synonimous with Russia in popular culture, despitethere existing not a single potato in the entirety of Russia when Ivan the Terrible planted the roots of modern Russia.

In the end, I don't think Wolfgang and Wigfrid are supposed to have a specific nationality, it feels more like a "rough concept". However I do headcanon them as both speaking in some sort of accent (be it German/Polish? for Wolfgang, or Scandinavian for Wigfrid) 

It’s possible Wigfrid is German/Austrian, but she also might not be. If that screenshot is of her house, she looks rich enough to afford tutors to speak multiple languages. It’s possible German is her second or third language to allow her to perform Die Walküre. So she could be anything. 

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Heh, I think people from all nations love potatoes, it's like the ice cream of vegetables. It's no surprise that potato fries became a universal garnment option near dishes from all cuisines.

That said, I think potato has a little stronger connotation to USSR given how entire federal states were designated for potato production to feed the entire union as per the state led economic policies macromanaging the production. Today whole potatoes became almost synonimous with Russia in popular culture, despitethere existing not a single potato in the entirety of Russia when Ivan the Terrible planted the roots of modern Russia.

I've never heard of Associating potatoes with Russia, unless you count Vodka. Usually It's Ireland that gets the connection.

EDIT: Also given the timeline of the game, Russia really only started becoming communist in 1917,and the USSR in 1922. And given what we know, we can probably assume that Wolfgang would have entered the constant around 1918-1920, Given that the most we know about him is that he was in the army, Likely as part of the Great war.

Archived