Rinkusan

Not-So-Troubling Waters: An Updated and Expanded Guide to Advanced Ocean Fishing and Survival at Sea

Owlrus    3951

Thanks for this guide, I'll be sure to update the link in my signature so that people can easily access this post again.

• Thanks 3

Rinkusan    1177
4 hours ago, shadowDigga said:

I feel like you greatly underestimate importance of leafy meat, which not only comes from seasonal fishes but can also be grown and harvested from lureplant every 2 days. Also, take a note of those 2 recipes:

1 leafy meat + 1 monster meat + 1 raw fish + 1 kelp => Meaty Stew

1 leafy meat + 1 monster meat + 2 fish morsels => Meaty Stew

No drying or regular meat needed. Meaty Stew gives whooping amount of 150 hunger and is superior to everything including meatballs.

Also, you can have a stack of honey before adventure. It lasts 80 days in icebox. Now make sure you have at least 2 lureplants on boat and you can cook yourself Jelly Salad from 2 leafy meat + 2 honey for 50 sanity every 2 days, enough to restore sanity lost due to dusk/night if these together last less than 5 minutes a day. Plant more lureplants/catch seasonal fish to eat Jelly Salad more often if that's not enough or you have several people on boat.

I think you forgot to mention that scaled furnace turns sailing in summer into nightmare due to fact in emits heat which makes you overheat faster. That's probably the reason you spent extra space and fuel to keep endo fire alive most likely the whole season. You may prefer using sunfishes to keep you warm in winter/stay dry because they don't emit heat while stored in tin fishin bin. Ditch both scaled furnace and endo fire for regular fire pit and tin fishin bin for sunfishes and you won't need that much fuel.

Building pig house on the edge often results into pig spawning on water and drowning then respawning on shore. I wouldn't recommend building pig house at all or have them built in the middle of lonely stationary boats spread across the ocean.

The reason why I discourage actively pursuing leafy meat is because the fish that drop leafy meat require seeds to catch, and seeds are much harder to get out at sea. I did mention lureplants as something you can put on your boat, and that recipe is included in this guide. But I personally don't like them because your pig can harvest and eat the leafy meat if you're not paying attention, and lureplants take forever to spawn in Spring; I'm usually out and about at sea before Winter, so aside from the lureplant that spawns on the Hermit Island, I don't think actively pursuing a lureplant is worth it. If you do find a lureplant, make sure to place it on the back end of your boat so that it doesn't cover the fishing bins/chests; these things visually take up quite a bit of space.

That certainly is an option for temporary voyages, but keep in mind that this is an ocean survival guide. It assumes that you will never need to step foot on land ever again; sadly, honey isn't a renewable resource at sea. 

If you have a cooling source like the endo fire pit, a cold thermal stone, or an ice bream, the scaled furnace does nothing in summer other than give you free light and a place to cook. The scaled furnace won't speed up your rate of overheating at all in summer, and likewise, the endo fire pit won't speed up your rate of freezing in winter. I like to use the endo fire pit as a light source and temperature buffer at night (since you can't use an orange thermal stone for light in summer obviously); I'll keep my thermal stone in the ice box until the endo fire pit runs out, and then during the day, I'll use the stone. 

Throughout the many hours I've played around with pigs, including while the boat is moving, I've yet to see a single pig drown. I briefly mentioned this a while back in a bug report I made regarding bunnymen; apparently, certain creatures like pigs have a line of code that prevents them from spawning on water, but others like bunnymen lack that line of code, so they end up spawning on water and drowning. It's weird, but it's what I'm working with. 

• Like 1

Rinkusan    1177
5 hours ago, KeshS said:

Great guide. I want to feature a design specifically to "shoo" Wavey, because all the pictures given have a chance for Wavey to be unreachable in some areas. I build my boat somewhat similar to the image below by moving a structure 3 spaces forward.

You can make this boat in the first 10-13 days. I build an alchemy, because rushing boat means a lot of stuff is locked, and alchemy solves most of the issues also quick way to open presents at sea (ignore the pinchin&winchin and fire pump these take more time to find).

Having a pig as a sanity station is nice, but creatures usually get eliminated quickly by a rockjaw. I prefer more tophats, or tam for constant sanity upkeep.

If you got good experience with handling the boat you can rely way less on using anchor and more on masts. With enough practice you could "Heave"&"Ho!" masts really fast, even faster than an anchor dropping to the bottom.

Thanks! Regarding your boat, remember that shifting the type II structures (like alch engine, bird cage, etc.) even by a little bit prevents you from reaching the max number of 7 structures. I actually consider the "unreachability" a GOOD thing because I use the collision physics to trap my pig for sanity. Not being able to step on Wavey sometimes can be troublesome, but as the guide mentions, you can either keep your sanity up using your pig (which only costs a measily small fish to regenerate 100 sanity) or stand between Jones and the anchor so that the hands can't raise it. You will NEVER spring a leak no matter what Jones does as long as that anchor isn't up and your sanity is above 25%. Wavey can be very annoying to deal with, but the amount of structures you sacrifice just to be able to step on him will make ocean survival very hard (and basically impossible if you have a crew). 

I get that many sailors like to put "recipe stations" like the alch engine and shadow manipulator on their boat, but I strongly don't recommend it unless the boat's more of a short-expedition boat than a survival base boat. You can prototype whatever you need on land before setting sail, and as Section 4 of the guide shows, you generally end up prototyping everything you need while you're building the boat anyways. If you couldn't tell from the guide, I value drying racks A LOT because you basically double the hunger value of your fish with them thanks to meaty stews, so if there's anything I can throw away to make room for more drying racks, I'm going to do just that.  

Absolutely, but that's why you have Abigail to take care of the rockjaw without anyone getting hurt. Sorry for not clarifying this in the guide more, but because this is an ocean survival guide, tophats (unless you're Webber) and tam o shanters aren't viable for the purposes of this guide because the latter isn't renewable at sea. Tophats are technically renewable if you hammer sails that you get from sunken chests, but the chances of getting one are really low. 

I like to use the anchor instead of the masts because it's your quickest brake pedal. There's an annoyingly long animation like what's shown in your GIFs when you pull up the sail, whereas dropping the anchor takes a split second. The anchor certainly does take some time to hit the bottom if you're in deeper waters, but that's why you drop it preemptively, much like how you're raising the sails preemptively. Unlike the sails, you have that extra time to steer the boat while the anchor is falling. Also, unlike with anchors, you can't exactly move in bursts with sails.  

5 hours ago, ADM said:

If after that you guys don't know your fish, you're gonna be in trouble... waters

Some people don't fin-ish reading all the way through. I can't blame them though; this is my most ambitious forum post, so it's easy to drown in all this info. Ah well, water you gonna do? :/

• Like 1
  • Happy Hazard 1

KeshS    4260

Wait if this is the guide to never touch foot on land, how do you replenish sticks? Sticks spawn rate is quite low in the ocean.

Edited by KeshS

Rinkusan    1177
5 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

About Wurt: An easy way to survive on the sea as Wurt without a farm are Butterfly Wings. 15 wings should be enough for 10 days on the sea and they can be collected either on the main island via flowers or on the Lunar or Pearl's Island via Lunar Trees. Just put 1x Butterfly Wings, 1x Kelp Fronds and 2x any non-meat-filler (e.g. Twigs, Eggs or Nightmare Fuel) in your crock pot to obtain 1x Butter Muffin which restores 20 health, 49.875 hunger and 5 sanity. While its almost only half as effective as Dragonpie, you'll need only 1x Butterfly Wings for that recipe, while Dragonpie requires roughly 3x Dragon Fruit (two to obtain 3x Dragon Fruit Seeds and one to make the pie), and gathering wings instead of seeds and fertilizers might be an easier task.
If health isn't a big problem for you and if you got a good amount of eggs, you might also mix 1x Berries and 3x Eggs in your Crock Pot (but no Kelp or Twigs) to obtain 1x Fist Full of Jam which restores 3 health, 49.875 hunger and 5 sanity.

About Wormwood: Try to avoid sailing during spring: You won't be able to profit from his +20% movement speed or the fact that his crops grow 300% as fast during rain but instead suffer from his +100% hunger drain penalty.

Sorry for not making it clear in the guide since a few people already have made this assumption, but the point of this guide is to survive at sea INDEFINITELY on a base boat. Unfortunately, that means things like butterfly wings and berries aren't an option. That's why I had to go through the trouble of playing around with farm plots and maximizing fertilizer; otherwise, for sure, those are great survival strategies for an ordinary playthrough as Wurt.

20 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Wait if this is the guide to never touch foot on land, how do you replenish sticks? Sticks spawn rate is quite low in the ocean.

This guide doesn't rely on twigs luckily, so regardless of their spawn rate, you can survive no problem even if you somehow never run into a single twig on the water in the entire voyage. 

KeshS    4260
14 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

This guide doesn't rely on twigs luckily, so regardless of their spawn rate, you can survive no problem even if you somehow never run into a single twig on the water in the entire voyage. 

Then you can't craft as simple as a hambat. The I use abigail as a weapon completely disintegrates when you happen to encounter two rockjaws at the same time.

It sounds like a stretch that a single pig can supply your 3-man crew with helmets, hambats, and sanity at the same time when it respawns once every 3 days. Heck even one man crew is hard, unless you are a dodge master.

Edit: I don't know any other mob as good as a rockjaw that can destroy the helmet durability so fast. The shark is a tricky mob, you are very like to appear in his mouth once.

Edited by KeshS

Rinkusan    1177
6 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Then you can't craft as simple as a hambat. The I use abigail as a weapon completely disintegrates when you happen to encounter two rockjaws at the same time.

It sounds like a stretch that a single pig can supply your 3-man crew with helmets, hambats, and sanity at the same time when it respawns once every 3 days. Heck even one man crew is hard, unless you are a dodge master.

Edit: I don't know any other mob as good as a rockjaw that can destroy the helmet durability so fast. The shark is a tricky mob, you are very like to appear in his mouth once.

You absolutely can craft a ham bat since the boat has a pig, and monster meat is an easy resource out at sea. That said, it's NOT even necessary because Abigail can kill anything in the ocean outside of bosses WITHOUT any harm to you or your boat. Rockjaws only spawn alongside a school of fish, so unless you're leaving some rockjaws behind, you should never encounter a situation where there's more than 1 rockjaw. 

That definitely is a stretch, which is why you DON'T need a single ham bat or helmet on the entire voyage as long as you have a Wendy in your crew. The pig in this guide is meant to be your sanity buddy, not so much your cattle for the slaughter.  

I agree; I covered the wonky, non-predictable rockjaw attack "pattern" in this guide (see Section 8). But you don't have to deal with this whatsoever because Abigail at dusk is strong enough to take on the rockjaw by herself on autopilot. The rockjaw is much less of a threat if it's fighting in the water vs on the boat. 

PrezPara    556
4 hours ago, KeshS said:

There's no harm in stopping by on land and getting a stack or two of grass and twigs whenever you run out since there is currently no consistent way to get basic resources in the ocean. Kinda makes me want something like the mangrove trees in Shipwrecked to be introduced to dst.

• Like 4

KeshS    4260
6 hours ago, PrezPara said:

There's no harm in stopping by on land and getting a stack or two of grass and twigs whenever you run out since there is currently no consistent way to get basic resources in the ocean. Kinda makes me want something like the mangrove trees in Shipwrecked to be introduced to dst.

The point OP tries to make is that a ship doesn't need a single landfall and can survive INDEFINETELY. I initially thought it was a detailed ocean guide, but then it turned into fanatic ocean survivalist. If that's the case it would be just better building a base with boats (it still doesn't count as land), where you could farm mass bunnies, spiders, pigs, and farms.

You don't need 7 structures on boat. I had just 4 structures and could survive 1-2 seasons without problem, until I would need logs again, and some people aren't as skilled to take down d-fly.

My main takeaway is take boat building with a grain of salt. You aren't going to have a bad time at sea, if you don't build drying racks, or endothermic fire pit. You can get away with a lot less stuff and still enjoy exploring the sea.

Edited by KeshS
Replaced rabbits with pigs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FuriousChimera    1097

Structure placement on boat: If you happen to use geometrical placement mod, make sure to choose the square grid option, hexagon grid sometimes result in structure places one grid further than expected, blocking the use of the construction, or worse, it will create a "blocking grid"- pushing character out of boat mid-jump causing an instant drowning.

Furnace and endo fire pit are less fuel-efficent than a single firepit year-round, you will have to fuel the endo firepit day and night to prevent overheat.

Flingomatic and firepump - they are both have perks and cons:

- Flingomatic is big grid structure, it cant be place after wheel, anchor and masts, it also requires fuel to work. On the other hand, Flingomatic is auto after it turns on, it extinguishes all fire simultaneously, and provides a small radius of light.

- Fire pump is small grid structure, it can be place later when you found the material on the ocean.The cost is cheaper and it doesn't require fuel. But fire pump works worse than flingomatic,it has to be activated constantly by player in summer. Firepump extinguishes the closest fire source, that mean order for it to target all structures at the sametime, it needs to be placed in the center. If the fire pump was placed in conner, the otherside of the boat will not be safe when the structure there on fire (if you activate the pump before the smolder becomes fire, it will work properly).

20200820114935_1.thumb.jpg.6222c0da2f36df038ce66e92fad8390b.jpg

So the safer option for new players would be flingomatic on boat, while the firepump is for experienced players, to conveniently saving space and materials

Glommer is useless in the day and dusk,since his flying speed is slower than a boat with 2 normal masts, he always gets left behind will not give sanity aura on boat during this time.

20200820115837_1.thumb.jpg.3929ae617a6638429954046f59907682.jpg

I don't like mobs on boat in general, they can blocking important structures like wheel,anchor, masts, crockpot etc... Player can push them away or kill them but they are certainly annoying. Pig can get drown when they were jumping between platform like boat-land/ boat-boat,big structures on the boat can block the grid and push them out in the water.

Another perk of Wendy, she can build Sisturn on boat, the Sisturn when filled with flower petals will last for 6 days and provide a sanity aura of +25/min for all players stand by.

Tam o shanter is renewable via sewing kit.

Wavey Jones can sink a boat in mere seconds when players under 25% of sanity and a boat has more than 3 patches.

You can avoid rockjaws entirely by sailing away before they aggro on you. Multiple players can stunt lock a single rockjaw but their attack partern seems random.

Wortox can live with souls diet if he has a decent source to regain sanity (best option is tam o shanter), fish has soul and the soul only drops when wortox kills it. Cookie cutter is the best mob to provide alot of souls.

Ratatouille dish is decent for wurt in the ocean, it can be cook with 2 klep fonds 2 eggs.

For other boat designs that doesn't have drying racks or pig house, meaty stew is not available due to 2 fish meat always results to Surf and Turf. Stuff fish head and barnicle linguine both provide a fair ammount of 75 hunger, barnicle linguine ingredient is abundant once player discover stonefruit, you can make them with 2 stonefruits 2 barnicles. Fish stick is also an easy food to make( 2 barnicles, 1 monster meat, one stick)

Max location of treasure on ocean is 4.

On 8/19/2020 at 11:25 PM, KeshS said:

image.thumb.png.c1ce942341708abc46722f73095b9f00.png

While Rinkusan boat design is luxury, Kenshi boat is more new-player friendly, it's low cost and it provides enough to survive without cluttering the space.

Just because a boat can go on ocean indefinitely, does not mean it has to. Yes, you can get twigs, grasses,boards etc... on ocean, but it is time-costing. When you are low are resources that is abundant on land, just stop the boat and get it. It only took a day at max, and it won't hurt your ocean trip in anyway.

P.s Alchemy on boat is important for epic merch time. ( it does not needed for survival)

Edited by FuriousChimera
  • Like 3

x0-VERSUS-1y    6357

Can you pls format your text in Spoiler increments corresponding to main points so all those images and animations won't take ages to load?! Consider not all forumers have 4G-5G, fiber optics and download speeds of tens of real-megabits orders. I've written this post at a snail-pace and even now still loads stuff - plus I've seen you doing this walls-of-text with N images/animations in most your main topics. Have a bit of consideration for people not blessed with 1st world countries' internet. Ty.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*typo*
  • Like 2

Notecja    1021

I love fishing tips, finally I see a reason to use nice floats instead of stick. Also nice tips about boats, but I don't think they would be useful for me, since I like having "space" on boats, bundling wraps and sail only spring/autumn.

PrezPara    556
9 hours ago, KeshS said:

The point OP tries to make is that a ship doesn't need a single landfall and can survive INDEFINETELY. I initially thought it was a detailed ocean guide, but then it turned into fanatic ocean survivalist. If that's the case it would be just better building a base with boats (it still doesn't count as land), where you could farm mass bunnies, spiders, pigs, and farms.

There really isn't anything OP can do about that because there is literally no good way to get twigs. They gave a very detailed guide of how to live on the ocean and made sure it wasn't very twig / grass reliant, which makes it very easy to survive off of just a stack of those basic resources for a very very long time. I guess they should have said somewhere that you might need to restock on those resources but once again if the only thing your going to do with those resources is make a spear which they also said can be replaced by Abigail then they will last a loooong time.

If I have to give a bad example of a situation like this then imagine a guy making a super detailed guide on how to make a moon base (boat base) that, if has a farm (Abigail), can be fully self sustainable. Someone comes along and says "it doesn't count as self sustainable because if it doesn't have a farm it will need food shipments from earth".

Idk. I tried.

• Like 1

Rinkusan    1177
10 hours ago, KeshS said:

You don't need 7 structures on boat. I had just 4 structures and could survive 1-2 seasons without problem, until I would need logs again, and some people aren't as skilled to take down d-fly.

My main takeaway is take boat building with a grain of salt. You aren't going to have a bad time at sea, if you don't build drying racks, or endothermic fire pit. You can get away with a lot less stuff and still enjoy exploring the sea.

As much as I can understand how some people might have missed out on the self-sustaining criteria I put on my boat (my previous guide justified this, and I just assumed people were aware of the benefits of living at sea already), I don't understand why you think it "turned" into a "fanatic ocean survivalist" guide (implying you believe it began as anything but) when the title of the thread specifically calls this an "Expanded Guide to Advanced Ocean Fishing and Survival at Sea". You absolutely can make a base w/ many boats and clutter them with spider dens and pigs, but there are some drawbacks, the main ones being immobility and wildfire management. I personally don't bother because if I'm desperate for "stationary meat", I'll just sail to a salt formation and kill cookie cutters en masse. 

For the purposes of this guide, those 7 structures are necessary for a crew because you need 225 hunger's worth of food per day minimum, but if you're solo and hopping on and off your boat every so often, absolutely, they are far from necessary. This guide isn't covering short-term boats, however. I know Section 4 of my guide demonstrates how to "solo rush" this base boat, but this boat is built for 3 to begin with; 3 people can kill the dragonfly no problem with zero kiting involved. I personally often solo rush this boat because I almost always play on public servers, and with most people focused on the mainland base and general survival, I want to put as little of a burden on the rest of the server as possible (which is why I clarified in the beginning of the video that I won't hammer pig houses or dig up mushrooms, and I also refused to destroy any spider dens). If you have friends who plan on sailing with you to help, you can imagine how easy it'll be to build this boat before Winter. 

If you are sailing by yourself, absolutely, you won't have a bad time out at sea without drying racks. Unfortunately, you will struggle A LOT if you bring friends along with you UNLESS you have these drying racks to essentially double the hunger value of your fish. Anyone can enjoy exploring the sea any way they want with any boat they want, whether it's with an ice box pre-stacked with tons of birchnuts and monster meat or even with a boat that has nothing but sails, wheel, and anchor. It sounds like you're assuming that I'm trying to force you and others to build drying racks; that's not what I'm doing, and that's not what guides in general are built to do. 

Cr4zyFl4mes    99

For helmets, you can use cookie cutter shells, but you will need 1 rope. (you will probably find 3 grass on the sea)

If you want a lot of storage on your boat, you can use backpacks instead of chests as they don't take any space to put on the ground (but I don't reccomend this since it is harder to manage the storage with them).

As for surviving as Wurt - she doesn't get 25 hunger from corn, but 33. From my experience (only solo sailing) I survived off of picking kelp and drying it - It will suffice for both your hunger drain and sanity drain.

If you want to farm with Wurt, don't bring dragonfruit, rather bring Durian as it can be eaten cooked simply over fire without the need for filler (Wurt has 60% bonus hunger on it: 40 hunger per 1 durian).

A note-worthy mechanic for Wurt is, she can hold a fish in the inventory for 4 days rather than 1 day and since fishes refresh in the bins to 100% in 3 days, she only needs 2 schorching sunfish and 2 ice breams to battle the weather in winter and summer. (though having a thermal stone is good for small light radius in winter).

Also the scorching sunfish, if left on the ground, will emit small light radius too. If you don't have scaled furnace, it can serve as a light source and AoE heat source - Be careful though, it can ignite the boat.

If you have ice there is 1 more good recipe for health: wobster bisque (60 hp) - you will need 1 wobster, 1 ice and 2 fillers (both can be monster meat)

And one more thing, in case of emergency, you can hunt for birds with seadshells, though 1 hit will only stun them I think.

• Like 2

Rinkusan    1177
10 hours ago, FuriousChimera said:

Structure placement on boat: If you happen to use geometrical placement mod, make sure to choose the square grid option, hexagon grid sometimes result in structure places one grid further than expected, blocking the use of the construction, or worse, it will create a "blocking grid"- pushing character out of boat mid-jump causing an instant drowning.

Furnace and endo fire pit are less fuel-efficent than a single firepit year-round, you will have to fuel the endo firepit day and night to prevent overheat.

Flingomatic and firepump - they are both have perks and cons:

- Flingomatic is big grid structure, it cant be place after wheel, anchor and masts, it also requires fuel to work. On the other hand, Flingomatic is auto after it turns on, it extinguishes all fire simultaneously, and provides a small radius of light.

- Fire pump is small grid structure, it can be place later when you found the material on the ocean.The cost is cheaper and it doesn't require fuel. But fire pump works worse than flingomatic,it has to be activated constantly by player in summer. Firepump extinguishes the closest fire source, that mean order for it to target all structures at the sametime, it needs to be placed in the center. If the fire pump was placed in conner, the otherside of the boat will not be safe when the structure there on fire (if you activate the pump before the smolder becomes fire, it will work properly).

So the safer option for new players would be flingomatic on boat, while the firepump is for experienced players, to conveniently saving space and materials

Glommer is useless in the day and dusk,since his flying speed is slower than a boat with 2 normal masts, he always gets left behind will not give sanity aura on boat during this time.

I don't like mobs on boat in general, they can blocking important structures like wheel,anchor, masts, crockpot etc... Player can push them away or kill them but they are certainly annoying. Pig can get drown when they were jumping between platform like boat-land/ boat-boat,big structures on the boat can block the grid and push them out in the water.

Another perk of Wendy, she can build Sisturn on boat, the Sisturn when filled with flower petals will last for 6 days and provide a sanity aura of +25/min for all players stand by.

Tam o shanter is renewable via sewing kit.

Wavey Jones can sink a boat in mere seconds when players under 25% of sanity and a boat has more than 3 patches.

You can avoid rockjaws entirely by sailing away before they aggro on you. Multiple players can stunt lock a single rockjaw but their attack partern seems random.

Wortox can live with souls diet if he has a decent source to regain sanity (best option is tam o shanter), fish has soul and the soul only drops when wortox kills it. Cookie cutter is the best mob to provide alot of souls.

Ratatouille dish is decent for wurt in the ocean, it can be cook with 2 klep fonds 2 eggs.

For other boat designs that doesn't have drying racks or pig house, meaty stew is not available due to 2 fish meat always results to Surf and Turf. Stuff fish head and barnicle linguine both provide a fair ammount of 75 hunger, barnicle linguine ingredient is abundant once player discover stonefruit, you can make them with 2 stonefruits 2 barnicles. Fish stick is also an easy food to make( 2 barnicles, 1 monster meat, one stick)

Max location of treasure on ocean is 4.

While Rinkusan boat design is luxury, Kenshi boat is more new-player friendly, it's low cost and it provides enough to survive without cluttering the space.

Just because a boat can go on ocean indefinitely, does not mean it has to. Yes, you can get twigs, grasses,boards etc... on ocean, but it is time-costing. When you are low are resources that is abundant on land, just stop the boat and get it. It only took a day at max, and it won't hurt your ocean trip in anyway.

P.s Alchemy on boat is important for epic merch time.

I agree that flingomatics are more efficient at putting out fires than fire pumps. It's unfortunate though that flingomatics are a type II structure, so you'd have to sacrifice one of the 7 structures on the boat. I mostly put out smoldering stuff with my bare hands out at sea (since HP isn't much of an issue out here), but the fire pump imo does its job as an "emergency water balloon" if you zone out and a fire starts. I get your concern here, but the fire pump should be able to deal with both the extra smoldering that comes from a fire on the boat and the fire itself unless you somehow leave the fire running and spreading for too long. At least for me, this is never an issue because it's already rare that I'm too late with putting out the smoke with my bare hand.

With a cold thermal stone, you actually won't need to fuel your endo fire pit all that much. Technically, you could get away with just the scaled furnace and no endo fire pit in the summer by using the ice box and the small light radius of the furnace, but I have it there mainly as a temperature buffer and source of efficient light in summer nights because you obviously can't use orange thermal stones in summer. 

Glommer is actually faster than a boat with 2 sails; it's just that because it's a flying mob, it'll kind of trail behind its flower quite a bit as the boat is moving. It's not a perfect solution, but what you can do is put the flower in a chest on the edge of the boat in the direction the boat is moving (e.g. if the boat is moving west, put the flower on the western edge of the boat) so that even though glommer is constantly moving in bursts, it'll still be on the boat for you to use albeit poorly. 

Yeah, ideally your pig should never be off your boat. That said, if you do plan on returning to land, you can prevent this from happening by parking your boat in such a way that one of the drying racks is adjacent to the mainland (because drying racks don't have collision physics). 

The sisturn was included in my previous guide, but I scrapped it because petals are sadly not renewable at sea. Pigs give the same sanity aura but cost 1 small fish instead of petals.

Unfortunately, the sewing kit itself isn't renewable at sea. For sure, Wavey Jones is a pain below 25% sanity, which is why you need to keep your sanity up; it's a good idea to hug a pig when your sanity hits around 50%. 

So at the time of this guide's completion, rockjaws actually did not despawn, meaning you had to kill them or they'd gradually accumulate at sea. Luckily, as of the update today, rockjaws NOW despawn. That said, if you want to kill a rockjaw anyway, I highly recommend just using Abigail at dusk on aggressive autopilot. This way, the rockjaw dies on the water and no one gets hurt or even has to use a weapon.

Right, but as that section implies, sanity is a problem for Wortox because he doesn't get the luxury of hugging a pig. That's why I suggested things like glommer and the life-giving amulet for sanity.

I like that recipe; thanks for letting me know. It's more efficient than using fish for dragonfruit fertilizer (18.75 hunger from 2 kelp vs 25 hunger from ratatouille = 3.125 hunger per egg = 3.125 hunger per fish. 1/3 dragonfruit needs 8 rot, so 1 dragonfruit needs 24 rot. Dragonpie = 75 hunger = 1 dragonfruit + 3 eggs = 27 fish for 75 hunger. That's 2.78 hunger per fish w/ dragonfruits vs 3.125 hunger per fish w/ ratatouille). 

You can load avocadoes onto your boat, but, much like the petals, they're not renewable at sea sadly. I can't emphasize enough how useful drying racks are for hunger management out here. 

For sure, Kesh's boat is definitely easier to make and would appeal more to newer players in terms of construction. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to survive on this boat - even short-term - other than sailing solo or setting sail with an ice box pre-stuffed with food. I never said that a boat has to stay on the water indefinitely; much like you don't even have to touch ocean content to survive in the first place, you most certainly don't need a fancy base boat to have a good time. However, there are benefits to staying away from the mainland; things like no hound attacks, no seasonal boss shenanigans, no boat bridges being set on fire long-term, and just a unique fun way of living in DST.

Epic merch is certainly important, but you can put a science machine/alch engine on your deep-bass-shoal fishing station instead of the base boat. Maybe all that distorted audio will scare away the Malbatross, you know? 

Cr4zyFl4mes    99

I remembered 1 tip that not everybody knows - you should use an oar when you are trying to evade obstacles when in full speed. It works wonders.

And now, let's brainstorm ways to kill Rockjaw if not playing as Wendy and something, you could do indefinitely:
(ham bats and other weapons couldn't be used, since you need materials hard to find at sea)

1. You could use anenemies (1 has 60 dmg), though you'd have to be extremely careful on your boat.
2. You lead Rockjaw to Sea weed.
3. You can befriend a Gnarwail
...?

Rinkusan    1177
10 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Can you pls format your text in Spoiler increments corresponding to main points so all those images and animations won't take ages to load?! Consider not all forumers have 4G-5G, fiber optics and download speeds of tens of real-megabits orders. I've written this post at a snail-pace and even now still loads stuff - plus I've seen you doing this walls-of-text with N images/animations in most your main topics. Have a bit of consideration for people not blessed with 1st world countries' internet. Ty.

Thanks for letting me know that this is a thing; I'll go ahead and put all GIFs in the spoiler tag. It's not that I was inconsiderate of people with bad internet connections; it's that I didn't even know the GIFs caused severe lag in the first place. 

• Thanks 1