Not-So-Troubling Waters: An Updated and Expanded Guide to Advanced Ocean Fishing and Survival at Sea

2 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

For helmets, you can use cookie cutter shells, but you will need 1 rope. (you will probably find 3 grass on the sea)

If you want a lot of storage on your boat, you can use backpacks instead of chests as they don't take any space to put on the ground (but I don't reccomend this since it is harder to manage the storage with them).

As for surviving as Wurt - she doesn't get 25 hunger from corn, but 33. From my experience (only solo sailing) I survived off of picking kelp and drying it - It will suffice for both your hunger drain and sanity drain.

If you want to farm with Wurt, don't bring dragonfruit, rather bring Durian as it can be eaten cooked simply over fire without the need for filler (Wurt has 60% bonus hunger on it: 40 hunger per 1 durian).

A note-worthy mechanic for Wurt is, she can hold a fish in the inventory for 4 days rather than 1 day and since fishes refresh in the bins to 100% in 3 days, she only needs 2 schorching sunfish and 2 ice breams to battle the weather in winter and summer. (though having a thermal stone is good for small light radius in winter).

Also the scorching sunfish, if left on the ground, will emit small light radius too. If you don't have scaled furnace, it can serve as a light source and AoE heat source - Be careful though, it can ignite the boat.

If you have ice there is 1 more good recipe for health: wobster bisque (60 hp) - you will need 1 wobster, 1 ice and 2 fillers (both can be monster meat)

And one more thing, in case of emergency, you can hunt for birds with seadshells, though 1 hit will only stun them I think.

You can use the shells for helmets and prototype it with an alch engine on a throwaway boat/fishing station, but ideally, you should rarely ever get hit while you're out at sea unless you lack a Wendy on your boat. There are also a lot of healing recipes you have access to as well if you on the rare chance do get hit by skittersquids or rockjaws. I usually use the shells for the Crabby Hermit, and because you need to kill so many of these to get enough to upgrade the house, I'm pretty conservative with these. 

I'm aware of Wurt's hunger-boosting perk, but I like to reference the hunger value of the food as is rather than mention how much hunger Wurt specifically gets out of it since it's just multiplying by 33% across the board with a single non-noteworthy exception. I only bring up those numbers when it's relevant; for example, Wurt needs about 11 dragonpies to survive Summer/Winter rather than 15. 

I use dragonfruits because dragonpies give quite a lot of hunger and give you an opportunity to use twigs and fish as a food source. Durians are not really ideal; if you plan on eating crops like this without relying on a dish, you might as well go for pumpkins since, for Wurt, they give 49.8 hunger vs the 40 hunger from durians. However, comparing dragonfruits to pumpkins, if you do the math, 2 pumpkins = 1 dragonpie in hunger. Eating 2 pumpkins means growing 6 pumpkins (since you have to recycle 2 crops every 3 that you grow to sustain the seeds on average). To grow 6 pumpkins, you need 48 fish for rot. Now, 1 dragonpie, on the other hand, requires 1 dragonfruit and 3 eggs. Obtaining 1 dragonfruit means growing 3 dragonfruits, which requires 24 fish for rot. Add the 3 fish you need for eggs, and you get 27 fish required.
Do you see the huge difference between pumpkins and dragonfruit? You need 48 fish with a pumpkin farm (which is already more hunger than the durian farm) to get the same amount of hunger as a dragonfruit farm with 27 fish. This is all ignoring the additional benefit of using twigs to substitute eggs when making dragonpies. 

The ice bream for sure can save you a lot of trouble in summer with Wurt, but because of the lack of light from the furnace, I usually end up just using the endo fire pit for both light and temporary temperature. Much like with thermal stones, you can put the ice bream in the bin to refresh at night, and then take it out during the day when the endo fire pit is extinguished.

I love this guide but I find it funny how it assumes land isn't a thing. For if the food situation gets very bad I just dock at a shore and forage. If sanity gets hairy I spend a day/night on lunar isles xD

It is a nice personal challenge at least and you are safer on sea than on land from other players, etc

4 hours ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

I love this guide but I find it funny how it assumes land isn't a thing. For if the food situation gets very bad I just dock at a shore and forage. If sanity gets hairy I spend a day/night on lunar isles xD

It is a nice personal challenge at least and you are safer on sea than on land from other players, etc

Yeah, I mentioned a bit earlier that I just assumed people knew about the benefits of staying on the water; that's why this guide is framed around "the land is lava". Sorry that wasn't made clear enough. Also, regardless of how you want to set sail, a good chunk of this guide is relevant to general fishing and navigating for all sailors, so hopefully things like shortening the reeling distance and anchor bursting makes your ocean playthrough more comfortable. 
I guess you could technically use base boats to escape other players, but the intent of the base boat in this guide was to BRING people (up to 3) together on 1 ship and avoid all the mainland shenanigans, all while having fun fishing and sailing without starving to death or going insane. 

EDIT: Added a sentence that I apparently forgot.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:59 AM, Rinkusan said:

With a cold thermal stone, you actually won't need to fuel your endo fire pit all that much. Technically, you could get away with just the scaled furnace and no endo fire pit in the summer by using the ice box and the small light radius of the furnace, but I have it there mainly as a temperature buffer and source of efficient light in summer nights because you obviously can't use orange thermal stones in summer.

Furnace on boat requires players use the thermal stone year-round to cool down, this will make thermal loses the durability really fast, so the choice being is wasting your thermal or waste fuel.

. For sure, Kesh's boat is definitely easier to make and would appeal more to newer players in terms of construction. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to survive on this boat - even short-term - other than sailing solo or setting sail with an ice box pre-stuffed with food

With a crew fishing and harvesting barnicles, Kesh's boat is enough to survive in long term. Using Stuff fish head (recipe : 2 barnacles one fish one stick), meat ball for hunger and eat stuff and turf once a while to gain sanity( 2 barnacles one fish one monster meat),

Unfortunately, the sewing kit itself isn't renewable at sea. For sure, Wavey Jones is a pain below 25% sanity, which is why you need to keep your sanity up; it's a good idea to hug a pig when your sanity hits around 50%.

This is so unnecessary. Without sewing kits, you can't repair thermal stones, umbrella, tophat etc...( hammer,rock, log and silks, are not renewable on the ocean to remake them). While you can manage temperature without thermal stone by fueling endo/firepit on your boat constantly ( a waste of fuel) or using thermal fishes ( risking of burning boat), no umbrella meant you and your crew have to endure 100 wetness ( death sentence for WX) whenever the world is raining, hugging your pig constantly to negate sanity loss (I am not sure this even work with 3 players, seems like someone will always be under 25% sanity). Traveling on ocean likes this is absolutely not worth doing.

Yeah, I mentioned a bit earlier that I just assumed people knew about the benefits of staying on the water; that's why this guide is framed around "the land is lava". Sorry that wasn't made clear enough

While I think your guide is helpfull and your boat design is an interesting approach, the main reason we think like this because you replied all our suggestion methods and opinions with "but the point of this guide is to survive at sea INDEFINITELY on a base boat", " assumes that you will never need to step foot on land ever again"and "they're not renewable at sea ".

5 hours ago, FuriousChimera said:

Furnace on boat requires players use the thermal stone year-round to cool down, this will make thermal loses the durability really fast, so the choice being is wasting your thermal or waste fuel.

With a crew fishing and harvesting barnicles, Kesh's boat is enough to survive in long term. Using Stuff fish head (recipe : 2 barnacles one fish one stick), meat ball for hunger and eat stuff and turf once a while to gain sanity( 2 barnacles one fish one monster meat),

This is so unnecessary. Without sewing kits, you can't repair thermal stones, umbrella, tophat etc...( rock, log and silks are not renewable on the ocean to remake them). While you can manage temperature without thermal stone by fueling endo/firepit on your boat constantly ( a waste of fuel) or using thermal fishes ( risking of burning boat), no umbrella meant you and your crew have to endure 100 wetness ( death sentence for WX) whenever the world is raining, hugging your pig constantly to negate sanity loss ( I am not sure this even work with 3 players, seems like someone will always be under 25% sanity). Traveling on ocean likes this is absolutely not worth doing.

While I think your guide is helpfull and your boat design is an interesting approach, the main reason we think like this because you replied all our suggestion methods and opinions with "but the point of this guide is to survive at sea INDEFINITELY on a base boat", " assumes that you will never need to step foot on land ever again"and "they're not renewable at sea ".

Thermal stones actually don't lose durability unless you let it go from white/orange back down to grey. As long as you have separate thermal stones, one next to the furnace/in a chest next to the furnace and one or two in the ice box, your thermal stone should never degrade. 

You can use that recipe, but I much prefer 1 small fish + 3 barnacles as the recipe for fish heads because big fish are precious and sticks are uncommon. You also want to use up as many barnacles as you can since they rot in the ice box while fish in the fishing bins don't. 
While it's technically possible to survive on any type of boat with a crew, it will be an eternal struggle, especially for this boat, where you will have to actively pursue food for the entire voyage. Kesh's boat has structures, but aside from the crock pot, none of the other structures, not even the bird cage, actually boosts your hunger output; this, along with the finite light source from lack of a furnace for the thermal-stone trick, is why I disagree with this being a long-term survival boat. 
Aside from personal experience doing this, there are 14760 seconds of daylight in the entire year, meaning 18840 seconds of "losing 5 sanity/min" in the entire year, meaning you will lose 22.43 sanity per average day of the year. With a crew, you will lose 225 hunger and 67.29 sanity per day. That's slightly above 2 surf n' turf and 2 fish heads PER DAY, which is BEST-CASE 8 small fish + 2 monster meat + 6 barnacles, and in practice, you're not going to have monster meat and barnacles some or even most of the time at sea. If you're living out in the ocean, this isn't sustainable, and if you decide to hop on and off land to restock on logs and food once in a while, you're better off just grabbing a bunch of avocadoes and using it as filler for meatballs or barnacle linguine, all while benefiting from the sanity gain of the lunar island; you could even stop by the pig king biome, befriend some pigs, chop some birch trees for birch nut filler, and then hug multiple pigs at night because their sanity auras stack. The takeaway here is that a playthrough that relies entirely on surf n' turf for sanity at the expense of hunger is not fun both on paper and in practice (especially in Winter) unless you're willing to stockpile on food from land to ease the hunger burden. 

Thermal stones themselves are actually renewable at sea, but as stated earlier, you can prevent them from ever degrading in the first place. Umbrellas are also renewable at sea because silk is a rare but renewable resource through hammerable sails. You can get both of these from sunken chests, and since one umbrella can last you the whole year - possibly 2 or 3 years depending on how conservatively you use them, the sails provide more than enough silk despite how rare they are. 

Right; I wanted to make that clear because while almost all of this info can be used for ANY type of boat-related playthrough, the overall goal of this guide is to survive on the ocean with a base boat in order to avoid all the land shenanigans while experiencing an entirely different way of living in DST. Things like hound waves, seasonal boss annoyances, the need for a boat bridge that might smolder, the need for farms/flingomatics, etc. are no longer an issue if you're just chilling on the water. I'm replying to most of the suggested methods with that response because even though many are viable ideas for general survival, they're ideas that're unfortunately irrelevant to the guide itself because they involve stepping on land to stockpile logs and food at, say, a large bunnyman or berry farm at the risk of, say, a large hound wave, an antlion earthquake, or even spontaneous boat smoldering that you didn't notice and could've stopped. Of course, for many players and probably most of the people on these forums, land shenanigans are merely an inconvenience, and I'm by no means saying that an ordinary land base or having both a land and boat base is not viable for survival; I'm just saying that it's irrelevant to the point of this guide revolving around ocean survival and fishing specifically. If living off the land was part of this "ocean survival" guide, I'd just tell you to fill all your boat chests with thousands of stone fruits plus gold and twigs for pickaxes, plop down a sisturn, put an extra set of 4 petals and some monster meat in the ice box, make a few bundling wraps filled with light bulbs, and call it a day.

Just a question:

How is Barnacle Linguine not an ok food though?

It restores 75 hunger, while 2x Cooked Barnacles and 2x Cooked/Dried Kelps = 43,75 hunger. That's a net gain of 31,25 hunger.

Also: What about the OP Fishsticks? 1 Twig, 2 Ice and either a Barnacle or a Small Fish nets almost the same hunger per food-item as Meaty Stew, along with 40 healing. It's a filler killer, sure, but still.

6 minutes ago, Azamagon said:

It restores 75 hunger, while 2x Cooked Barnacles and 2x Cooked/Dried Kelps = 43,75 hunger. That's a net gain of 31,25 hunger.

First of all, you cannot make Barnace Linguini using Kelp Fronds. The recipe requires a 2.0 Veggie value and each Kelp Frond only contributes 0.5, so you'd get Barnacle Pita out of that combo.

As for Barnacle Linguine, it's... not a bad food really. It's just a tad niche because of its limited shelf life (only 6 days). But it's hard to make it out at sea (you'd need to catch 2 Corn Cods to meet the veggie requirement). And (disclaimer: personal opinion) on land, by the time you got a steady supply of fresh barnacles, it'll be competing with Beefy Greens, which are similarly (in)efficient on the hunger department, have the same shelf life , provide a more desirable 40 health bonus and don't require sailing to get. (Bunnyman farms solve the veggie requirement for both.)

7 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

First of all, you cannot make Barnace Linguini using Kelp Fronds. The recipe requires a 2.0 Veggie value and each Kelp Frond only contributes 0.5, so you'd get Barnacle Pita out of that combo.

As for Barnacle Linguine, it's... not a bad food really. It's just a tad niche because of its limited shelf life (only 6 days). But it's hard to make it out at sea (you'd need to catch 2 Corn Cods to meet the veggie requirement). And (disclaimer: personal opinion) on land, by the time you got a steady supply of fresh barnacles, it'll be competing with Beefy Greens, which are similarly (in)efficient on the hunger department, have the same shelf life , provide a more desirable 40 health bonus and don't require sailing to get. (Bunnyman farms solve the veggie requirement for both.)

Oh, my bad about the Kelp! Why do I keep forgetting its 0,5 veggie value...

On 11/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, Azamagon said:

Just a question:

Also: What about the OP Fishsticks? 1 Twig, 2 Ice and either a Barnacle or a Small Fish nets almost the same hunger per food-item as Meaty Stew, along with 40 healing. It's a filler killer, sure, but still.

Quartz nailed the Barnacle Linguini response imo; as for the fishsticks, exactly as you said, it's a filler killer in the sense that all that ice could've been used to make meatballs instead. If you compare the two recipes, the only difference is that one twig being traded for ice, so think about it like sacrificing one extra piece of ice for 25 extra hunger, and you save a twig to boot. 

On 11/20/2020 at 10:49 PM, Rinkusan said:

Quartz nailed the Barnacle Linguini response imo; as for the fishsticks, exactly as you said, it's a filler killer in the sense that all that ice could've been used to make meatballs instead. If you compare the two recipes, the only difference is that one twig being traded for ice, so think about it like sacrificing one extra piece of ice for 25 extra hunger, and you save a twig to boot. 

Makes sense. At least they're still good for healing :)

Archived