Jump to content

Is Bernie good enough?


Recommended Posts

First of all this topic is to know more opinions about Bernie, what you usually do with it, and discuss. Please don't kill me.

The Wendy rework and the new character Walter show me how characters can interact with their companions, Abigail defending her sister and Woby being a good boy... I mean Wobi is a fusion of Chester and beefalo. Wedy use power ups on her sister and Walter feed his dog. I know that Woodie and Lucy exist but Lucy is an Axe, and this is for another topic.

For my Bernie works like a Nightmare Fuel-Machine, I know that it can provide you a little sanity and warm, save you from Shadow Creatures and it "can" attack other enemies but if there is more shadows coming Bernie just die quickly. And if you are not crazy but near to die Bernie can't help you. Maibe for the next QOL add that if Willow is with 20 hp or less Burnie grows like actually do with the sanity sistem, or looks too OP? What do you think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Insanity is a very low impact threat, and having Bernie turn it into a stomping fest doesn't help. (Edit, okay well he obviously HELPS, but insanity is easy enough for a lot of people without Bernie basically making it a non issue)

But he almost encourages you to be insane otherwise you get next to no benefit from Bernie...

 

He's good, but I don't like what he represents, and I don't think its a particularly healthy direction to take Willow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even if BERNIE! is not as Overpowered as Abigail is right now, he's good as he is and can be used pretty good in certain situations. You need to consider that you can't just go afk and watch your minion doing all your job like Abigail is doing rn, you need to assist BERNIE! by attacking the enemies he's tanking to make him useful.

You can easily go to the Ancient Pseudoscience Station and use him to fight all the 8 Nightmares at once allowing you to gather a nice amount of Nightmare Fuel, if you support him good enough. Or just summon him during Hound Waves to make the Hounds focus BERNIE! which allows you to kill them one by one, negating most of the damage you would've taken.

Also consider to keep having two Bernies with you, that will allow you to quickly summon a new BERNIE! in case of if your previous BERNIE! falls during the battle, giving you enough time to repair him quickly.

 

If you just want to compare BERNIE! with Abigail, you need to consider that Abigail is f***ing Overpowered right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bernie's forte is stalling fights (by gaining aggro) so that people can either attack without being hit or do other tasks unbothered. Yes, Willow has to be insane but i think its pretty realistic (how otherwise would a bear come to life and grow in size as much as he does) His damage is fine IMO, he is a totally different companion than Abigail and takes a whole diferrent direction.

And about uses: i think he is very versatile. From early to late game. I remember once doing FW with 3 people and a Bernie Army. We didnt even use Nightmare Amulet, Willow remained insane with Glommer's Goop and took care of Woven Shadows while the rest attacked FW almost unbothered because of the other Bernies defending. When one Bernie died another one popped, it was pretty epic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bernie protects everyone form nightmare monsters, meanwhile Abi watches Wendy solo terrorbreaks with 25% damage debuff. He is unique and irreplacable. Although they are not OP like Wendy and Abi, Willow and Bernie are pretty fun to play, so I think he is good enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the Bernster as he is, but a couple QoL changes wouldn't hurt like being able to put him back into your inventory while he's hulked out. Maybe also increase the amount of mobs he'll fight? I've noticed that for some reason, we won't fight tentacles even as they're wailing on you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bernie is good, but NOT good enough.. he needs upgrades, he should be easier to make little again, because Bernie often gets lost between cave transitions, or moves too slowly.

I also would like to seriously be allowed to be lit on fire using Willows lighter, making his attacks deal more DoT with a “burning effect” But at the cost of his durability burning out faster..

Abigail is in a very good spot now, summon,  despawn, command to attack, command to not attack, upgrade speed or damage with potions..
 

I guess it SORT OF Balances itself out, because Abbys max hp is 600 and Bernie’s is 2,500 I think?? it’s way more than 600..

But Still, he should at least be able to be shrunk down and picked back up without having to eat Shrooms to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bernie is plenty good, I wouldn't change a thing.  imo ~ Willow in general is a good target for character power level, where they aren't OP but they definitely have gifts that impact their play style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make a bernie army, alt tab and come back to eat once every 8-16 minutes and to fix any broken bernies. He is fine.

And he helps willow on winter start. This and her lighter make her the safest character to join a server during that season.

And unlike wendy and walter's minion, he can be used to some extent by anyone struggling with sanity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bernie is more than fine:

  • He protects you from nightmare creatures while you do other stuff, like fighting giants. All the while, getting you some nightmare fuel. Sure, he might fail sometimes, but you are not in a desperate need to rest and boost your sanity, or you don't need to avoid every single nightmare creature attack. Add a small army of 3 Bernies and you are almost unbothered by nightmares.
  • He is an amazing boss tank. 2000 HP is nothing to laugh at. Just to give an idea: Willow with marble suit (90% dmg resistance) has an effective 1500 HP. Only way you can beat that amount of health is by taming a beefalo, or playing with Wigfrid, Wolfgang or upgraded WX. And Bernie also does decent damage at 50 per hit every 2 seconds; only at the cost of your sanity, which you can raise almost whenever.
  • He is super cheap to make and heal. The most expensive ingredient is beard hair and it only needs 2, which you can get from killing rabbits while you are insane (the least effective method, but the only one if you play without caves, not counting Wilson), funny thing is you start with a Bernie, so you can drop your sanity, drop your Bernie, and start killing rabbits and sacrifice them to the beard lord. For healing Bernie, just one use of the sewing kit (or trusty tape, if there is a nice Winona) is enough to get it from 0% to 100%.

The only cons are:

  • You can't heal Big Bernie. More or less fixed by having several Bernies.
  • Big Bernie can't be placed on your inventory unless you raise your sanity. To be fair this is almost a non-issue: Willow has low sanity (120), so increasing it above the threshold is easy, and Willow has a lighter that can cook green/blue caps on the fly for sanity; not to mention she also restores sanity by being near fire and by hugging another Bernie. In short, Willow is among the characters with the best sanity management in the game.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just want to be able to recall Bernie like you can with Abigail. little QoL, Bernie seems fine. Remember you can use a sewing kit to fully heal Bernie, and sewing kit has 5 uses. That's 10,000 hp worth of Bernie repairs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, pedregales said:

He is an amazing boss tank. 2000 HP is nothing to laugh at. Just to give an idea: Willow with marble suit (90% dmg resistance) has an effective 1500 HP. Only way you can beat that amount of health is by taming a beefalo, or playing with Wigfrid, Wolfgang or upgraded WX. And Bernie also does decent damage at 50 per hit every 2 seconds; only at the cost of your sanity, which you can raise almost whenever.

Well to be fair, Bernie isn't quite as good at tanking bosses as he would appear to be since many bosses deal double damage to mobs which includes the Bernster himself.

Not that I'm saying he needs his health buffed or anything, he can still contribute quite a lot even in these cases. Just thought it was worth mentioning. :wilson_angelic:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like him as a tool to help in fights where sanity might be an issue.

 

deerclops for instance, if you take too long to clear him, will drain your sanity to zero, and it's at that point the fight becomes very very dangerous since having to deal with a 75 damage clops and two 50 damage terrorbeaks you need to kite makes the fight a very tricky juggle. Being able to drop the bear so you can finish off the deer while he distracts the nightmares means the fight retains it's simplicity of a basic 1 vs 1.

I've had a fair amount of boss fights that got interrupted or stalled out longer than they should due to sanity being an issue so having an on demand "how about you visit me later" low sanity solution through bernie helps out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Well to be fair, Bernie isn't quite as good at tanking bosses as he would appear to be since many bosses deal double damage to mobs which includes the Bernster himself.

Not that I'm saying he needs his health buffed or anything, he can still contribute quite a lot even in these cases. Just thought it was worth mentioning. :wilson_angelic:

You are right! I completely forgot about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Stonetribe said:

Well to be fair, Bernie isn't quite as good at tanking bosses as he would appear to be since many bosses deal double damage to mobs which includes the Bernster himself.

Not that I'm saying he needs his health buffed or anything, he can still contribute quite a lot even in these cases. Just thought it was worth mentioning. :wilson_angelic:

If your using one Bernie.. your right- you fail. If your using an inventory full of Bernie, you win in laughably short fashion.

In my time playing as Willow I quickly learned how to abuse the “Field Medic” Gameplay potential she has.

Heres how to effectively become a field medic as willow- Craft at Minimum 4 Bernie dolls, craft at minimum 3 Sewing Kits, Carry Sanity Manipulation Items to Lower or Raise Sanity, The most important part- Throw down all Bernie’s on the ground but space them apart from one another and at different angles- When ONE Bernie dies another one will enlarge to take over where the first has died.. and all YOU have to do is walk up to the dead one and with a single use of a repair kit it’s fully 100% fixed. A sewing kit has 5 uses... and 3 kits is 15 full repaired Bernie attacks.

Bernie has 2000 HP... Abigail- Which you all seem to think is more OP somehow.. man she only has 600HP. 
 

ABIGAIL has to be recalled, healed and when killed her health points drop from her max of 600, down to 150.. Bernie clearly outclasses Abigail when it comes to fighting bosses...

Abigail was not designed to fight bosses.. she was designed to squash small mobs gathering in large groups.

(Spiders, Hounds, Bee’s, Frog Rain)

Abigail will stand idly by doing nothing while insanity creatures murder Wendy..

Bernie prioritizes shadows over ANYTHING else as it is part of his intended design to be a Shadow wrecker first and an aid in fighting non-shadows second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

 

 4 Bernie dolls, craft at minimum 3 Sewing Kits, Carry Sanity Manipulation Items to Lower or Raise Sanity
 

and you wasted 8 slots that could be fill with useful stuff

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Abigail was not designed to fight bosses.. she was designed to squash small mobs gathering in large groups

not but she shines in raid bosses fights which is more op and more for each player in the fight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and you wasted 8 slots that could be fill with useful stuff

not but she shines in raid bosses fights which is more op and more for each player in the fight

Wait.. why would you need useful stuff when you have a army of bears doing all the damage for you? 
 

At the absolute most, you need your lighter to cook food and as a light source.., maybe a Helmet for protection and a weapon.. 

But you don’t need to carry around 100 other items to have a Bernie Army.. 2000 health per Bernie Doll is nothing to scoff at.

I played A LOT of Single Player Dont Starve, and in that game- Your ALWAYS carrying around 5 items in your inventory extra.. The Divining Rod, the Wooden Ring Thing, The Wooden Box Thing, the Crank Thing, The Metal Potato Thing.

so to carry a few extra Bernie’s and Sewing kits around ain’t nothing different from solo DS to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

If your using one Bernie.. your right- you fail. If your using an inventory full of Bernie, you win in laughably short fashion.

In my time playing as Willow I quickly learned how to abuse the “Field Medic” Gameplay potential she has.

Heres how to effectively become a field medic as willow- Craft at Minimum 4 Bernie dolls, craft at minimum 3 Sewing Kits, Carry Sanity Manipulation Items to Lower or Raise Sanity, The most important part- Throw down all Bernie’s on the ground but space them apart from one another and at different angles- When ONE Bernie dies another one will enlarge to take over where the first has died.. and all YOU have to do is walk up to the dead one and with a single use of a repair kit it’s fully 100% fixed. A sewing kit has 5 uses... and 3 kits is 15 full repaired Bernie attacks.

Bernie has 2000 HP... Abigail- Which you all seem to think is more OP somehow.. man she only has 600HP. 
 

 

Just because Abigail has lower health than Bernie doesn't mean she can't be "Op".
Not only does Abigail almost trivialize hordes of weaker mobs, you can apply potions to her in order to have her survive longer during something like a raidboss fight, and unless you only let Abigail do all the work for some reason you get a huge damage bonus if you attack too.

Not to mention that this "Field medic" tactic seems really slow and boring considering Bernie's effective damage of what? 25 per second? Without Aoe. 
Edit: Also like ArubaroBeefalo said you take up 8 inventory slots that could be used for anything else.

While I don't think Bernie is underpowered or useless, I do think Abigail has a lot more uses and is a lot more powerful.

But that being said it's also almost the only thing Wendy has while Willow also has other perks, so it sort of works out in the end.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You take up several inventory slots in this game naturally as part of the game anyway ... and it’s something I FULLY expect all the rest of the character reworks to have done to them eventually as well.

Wendys Rework has you carrying around things you previously wouldn’t have carried around- Ashes, Flower Petals, Mourning Glory, Ectoherbology potions.

Willows Rework- Bernie Doll (or Dolls) Sewing Kits, Spider Silk, Beard Hair, Hound Tooth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Your ALWAYS carrying around 5 items in your inventory extra.. The Divining Rod, the Wooden Ring Thing, The Wooden Box Thing, the Crank Thing, The Metal Potato Thing.

Maybe you do, but it actually pointless to just carry them atpund with you. Since the teleportato base doesn't move, you can just put the pieces into your base or on the base until you need to skip put that world. The divining rod also has no uses once you find all the pieces so there is no need to carry it with you after that point. Your point would also have validity if you were talking about adventure mode, but then you would be comparing apples to grapes as it holds a completely different gameplay style then the sandbox mode. While it rings true for adventure mode, this should be an outlier instead of proof. In the gorge, I caually carry around coins and seeds constantly along with a verity of veggies, but this also an outlier since it has a bunch of differences from the main game that makes it play differently. Yes, you can carry lots of objects with you, but that doesn't mean you have to have them there for the sake of having them there.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wait.. why would you need useful stuff when you have a army of bears doing all the damage for you? 

Its not an army of bears, its one bear that keeps coming back to fight. Besides, you can always help your ursine friend fight the baddies onstead of standing back tapping for foot and lookong at the clock.

1 hour ago, Freshness said:

25 per second

A reasonable assumption, if we take this number and have him fight Deerclops, if would take him around 3 stright days of pounding to kill him, and thats if he doesn't die (which he will) and if he doesn't taunt anything else like nightmares or hounds. The bernie army is safe, but far from efficient.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 8/6/2020 at 3:45 PM, Freshness said:

Not only does Abigail almost trivialize hordes of weaker mobs, you can apply potions to her in order to have her survive longer during something like a raidboss fight, and unless you only let Abigail do all the work for some reason you get a huge damage bonus if you attack too.

Not to mention that this "Field medic" tactic seems really slow and boring considering Bernie's effective damage of what? 25 per second? Without Aoe. 
Edit: Also like ArubaroBeefalo said you take up 8 inventory slots that could be used for anything else.

While I don't think Bernie is underpowered or useless, I do think Abigail has a lot more uses and is a lot more powerful.

But that being said it's also almost the only thing Wendy has while Willow also has other perks, so it sort of works out in the end.

 

There is only one potion that let's Abigail survive for long enough against bosses, and that is spectral cure-all; and even then you have to face-tank the boss. Any other potion is just for fun against small enemies (which she usually doesn't need) or shenanigans.

You can help Bernie fight and repair the ones that fall at the same time (that is how I do it at least, kind of surprised Mike doesn't?). With this strategy (4 bernies) and only 1 sewing kit you essentially have a Big Bernie with 18 000 health (8 000 from the 4 Bernies + 10 000 from the sewing kit uses; if you add the other 2 Mike suggest you would end up with 38 000 health), technically a bit less since Bernie takes extra damage from bosses, but even then we are looking at over 10 K effective health from 18 K health. You basically have a small giant that takes most of the damage for you. Sure, you need more materials, but at the same time, this materials are easy to farm.

And while you take 8 inventory slots, there is still space for fighting gear, specially if you get a backpack or if you have a chest prepared near the raidboss.

So Mike is right about Abigail being OP against hordes of enemies but sub-par to decent against bosses, while Bernie is godd to great against bosses, but just decent against hordes. Do note, there are 2 bosses that Abigail outclasses Bernie because of utility: Antlion and Bee Queen, very likely also Ancient Fuelweaver because of the sanity mechanic he has; also any open ocean boss I suppose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...