Connecting 2 ('Oar' more) Boats

9 hours ago, PrezPara said:

I want this just so that boat bases become at least a bit viable

You can already fit dozens of chests and every structure you need on them. Connecting boats together isn't really necessary for boat bases to be viable.

What I'd like to see instead is a little basement you could add to the middle of the boat that you can go into that has room for a few things, just so the top of the boat doesn't look so cluttered. I don't know how possible that would be, though. But connecting multiple boats together would prove problematic with how rocky the seas are.

31 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You can already fit dozens of chests and every structure you need on them. Connecting boats together isn't really necessary for boat bases to be viable.

What I'd like to see instead is a little basement you could add to the middle of the boat that you can go into that has room for a few things, just so the top of the boat doesn't look so cluttered. I don't know how possible that would be, though. But connecting multiple boats together would prove problematic with how rocky the seas are.

now, someone correct me if i am wrong here but i think some people don't like to clutter their boats and it makes it harder to manage the boat when there are thirty things to navigate around

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

You can already fit dozens of chests and every structure you need on them. Connecting boats together isn't really necessary for boat bases to be viable

It def won't make them that much more viable but I feel like it would be a lot easier to move your whole base together and you would also be able to save a lot of resources on anchors for every boat 

10 hours ago, gaymime said:

now, someone correct me if i am wrong here but i think some people don't like to clutter their boats and it makes it harder to manage the boat when there are thirty things to navigate around

It doesn't really make it harder to do anything as long as you're familiar with it, which you would be if you built it, but that's why I'd think a basement would be nice. If you just taped two boats together it would be really difficult to navigate around the million rocks in the ocean, you'd probably need to break them all. He's also suggesting a movement speed penalty in addition to that, when the boat's movement speed is the only thing stopping it from being a viable base (which you can fix by killing Malbatross twice).

That's why I want a basement. You can fit 7 greater structures and several lesser structures on the top as well as dozens of chests, but that looks rather unappealing. You can also make do with only 1-3 greater structures, but then you don't have the less useful structures and could potentially rarely have to go to a land base location to use them. A basement would allow you to have all the not-so-useful structures like the Shadow Manipulator without the top looking strange.

Also, I'd be scared that taping boats together would prove fatal to both you and your boat. You can already fall in the water when jumping between boats and land, or boats and other boats, so I wouldn't want to be doing that repeatedly while also at moving on the sea. If you ever fell into the ocean you'd be screwed. Your boat would likely break, you lose all your progress on it, you're really wet, you have no items, you're in a random place.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

It doesn't really make it harder to do anything as long as you're familiar with it, which you would be if you built it, but that's why I'd think a basement would be nice. If you just taped two boats together it would be really difficult to navigate around the million rocks in the ocean, you'd probably need to break them all. He's also suggesting a movement speed penalty in addition to that, when the boat's movement speed is the only thing stopping it from being a viable base (which you can fix by killing Malbatross twice).

That's why I want a basement. You can fit 7 greater structures and several lesser structures on the top as well as dozens of chests, but that looks rather unappealing. You can also make do with only 1-3 greater structures, but then you don't have the less useful structures and could potentially rarely have to go to a land base location to use them. A basement would allow you to have all the not-so-useful structures like the Shadow Manipulator without the top looking strange.

Also, I'd be scared that taping boats together would prove fatal to both you and your boat. You can already fall in the water when jumping between boats and land, or boats and other boats, so I wouldn't want to be doing that repeatedly while also at moving on the sea. If you ever fell into the ocean you'd be screwed. Your boat would likely break, you lose all your progress on it, you're really wet, you have no items, you're in a random place.

so it isn't hard to have a boat full of clutter and shouldn't impede any person of any skill level as long as they are skilled enough to not fall off. it is also too difficult to manage two boats because it is so easy to fall off even if you are skilled???

......i'm not seeing your side of things, mate. wanna try that again?

11 minutes ago, gaymime said:

so it isn't hard to have a boat full of clutter and shouldn't impede any person of any skill level as long as they are skilled enough to not fall off. it is also too difficult to manage two boats because it is so easy to fall off even if you are skilled???

What?

13 hours ago, gaymime said:

I think what's being said is that a boat basement would make the "I don't like having 2 boats connected" crowd AND the "I don't like having to visually clutter my boat" crowd happy because all the cons of that 2nd boat like 1) speed penalty, 2) the hop-between-boats animation that causes you to drown if a structure w/ collision physics blocks you, and 3) steering boat physics all go away, AND you can fit as many structures on your boat as you want with the extra basement space much like houses in Hamlet.  

Imo, you can make a properly functioning and minimally cluttered base boat without either of these, but a boat basement would help players who don't know about structure placement mechanics in DST without making boat steering harder. That said, I can see some balancing issues that'll come up from having extra space in general. For example, why even bother fishing when you can survive indefinitely with like 5 pumpkin farms, a bird cage, and a pig house on your 2nd boat/in your basement?

47 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I think what's being said is that a boat basement would make the "I don't like having 2 boats connected" crowd AND the "I don't like having to visually clutter my boat" crowd happy because all the cons of that 2nd boat like 1) speed penalty, 2) the hop-between-boats animation that causes you to drown if a structure w/ collision physics blocks you, and 3) steering boat physics all go away, AND you can fit as many structures on your boat as you want with the extra basement space much like houses in Hamlet.  

Imo, you can make a properly functioning and minimally cluttered base boat without either of these, but a boat basement would help players who don't know about structure placement mechanics in DST without making boat steering harder. That said, I can see some balancing issues that'll come up from having extra space in general. For example, why even bother fishing when you can survive indefinitely with like 5 pumpkin farms, a bird cage, and a pig house on your 2nd boat/in your basement?

it would have been a much better position if it was more clear like how you expressed it.

for sure though i was greatly cooled down on boating yesterday when i picked up all my caught fish yesterday and found out they were still alive and had to be executed to use. that was pretty jarring to me(in solo they just die as soon as they are fished so they are only 'meat' in together they are another living thing that i haven't the heart to murder)

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

when i picked up all my caught fish yesterday and found out they were still alive and had to be executed to use. that was pretty jarring to me

I don't know if this will help, but you can put live fish directly in the crock pot instead of manually murdering them in your inventory. Or you could feed the live fish to a bird and use the eggs so that it's the bird that's killing the fish, not you. 

33 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

I don't know if this will help, but you can put live fish directly in the crock pot instead of manually murdering them in your inventory. Or you could feed the live fish to a bird and use the eggs so that it's the bird that's killing the fish, not you. 

it kind of doesn't. way back when i was taught how a lobster is cooked and since i've gotten second-degree burns in the past and can understand(to a limited degree) heat pain the idea of putting a live animal in the cookpot is not something i am ok with personally(and yes, i do know this is just a game)

kind of goes along with me not being keen on inventory murder, butterfly burying and other violence against non-hostile mobs. i guess i am just weak

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

it kind of doesn't. way back when i was taught how a lobster is cooked and since i've gotten second-degree burns in the past and can understand(to a limited degree) heat pain the idea of putting a live animal in the cookpot is not something i am ok with personally(and yes, i do know this is just a game)

kind of goes along with me not being keen on inventory murder, butterfly burying and other violence against non-hostile mobs. i guess i am just weak

I gotcha. As long as your gameplay isn't hurting anyone else, you do you man. That said, I don't understand what's weak about choosing not to kill non-hostile mobs. You're literally surviving with a gameplay handicap out of empathy for fictional creatures. Imo that's like saying all Wes players who make the game harder for themselves are weak. 

But yeah, as fun as I think boats and ocean survival are, they're not for everyone. 

There is not many "boat trains" and I don't think we would get a tugboat and really big ships. But most of fine boats (bigger than kayak or optimist) have a small area under deck with place to sleep, or tiny kitchen, or to keep some things.

I actually like this idea. And it would also kind of be it's own downside, as the bigger the boat means it's harder to steer and more likely to crash. So it kind to leaves it up to the player if they want to take the risk.

You could also make it where the bigger the boat, or the more boats added, means the boat goes slower.

Archived