Connecting 2 ('Oar' more) Boats

On 7/30/2020 at 9:47 PM, Cheggf said:

It doesn't really make it harder to do anything as long as you're familiar with it, which you would be if you built it, but that's why I'd think a basement would be nice. If you just taped two boats together it would be really difficult to navigate around the million rocks in the ocean, you'd probably need to break them all. He's also suggesting a movement speed penalty in addition to that, when the boat's movement speed is the only thing stopping it from being a viable base (which you can fix by killing Malbatross twice).

That's why I want a basement. You can fit 7 greater structures and several lesser structures on the top as well as dozens of chests, but that looks rather unappealing. You can also make do with only 1-3 greater structures, but then you don't have the less useful structures and could potentially rarely have to go to a land base location to use them. A basement would allow you to have all the not-so-useful structures like the Shadow Manipulator without the top looking strange.

Also, I'd be scared that taping boats together would prove fatal to both you and your boat. You can already fall in the water when jumping between boats and land, or boats and other boats, so I wouldn't want to be doing that repeatedly while also at moving on the sea. If you ever fell into the ocean you'd be screwed. Your boat would likely break, you lose all your progress on it, you're really wet, you have no items, you're in a random place.

Something about a boat basement, it would also need it's own downside because it seems a little overpowered for a whole new area taking up no space at all.

8 minutes ago, Browser said:

Something about a boat basement, it would also need it's own downside because it seems a little overpowered for a whole new area taking up no space at all.

You can already fit way more than you need on the boat, it would be about as overpowered as the Clean Sweeper. Also, boats are inherently underpowered due to their high cost, low speed, inability to be on land, and fragility. I can't think of a way to make the basement overpowered, even if it was infinitely large it would still be considerably worse than just making a land base. 

I would like to have a boat basement. It doesn't have to be big, just the same size as a normal boat. I know it's possible to make perfectly functional boat bases already, but I just hate how cluttered it gets. I'm one of those aesthetic base builders who want their camp to look nice, mere practicality isn¨'t enough. Imo boat basements wouldn't be op if ithey were reasonably costly to build and it were somehow restricted what you can do there, i.e. no pig houses or farms, only stuff you could realistically have in a cargo space of a boat.

I don't know why you'd choose to live at the sea if you wanted to use the same surviving methods you would use on land. A little extra space on a boat doesn't make it better, even with unrestricted basement-activities, than unlimited space on land where those landlubber surviving methods would be easily available without any additional effort of building a dedicated room for them.

Archived