Will reworked characters ever get updates in the future?

I do hope that the reworked characters aren't the final product as I'm hoping they'll be open to some possible changes in the future. These don't have to be anything major, just some QoL stuff that might make them more fun to play. Certain characters still feel that more could be added/changed to them and it would be a shame if we didn't get to see these changes.

Klei doesn't need to go out of their way to add anything as they are very busy, but some changes to our reworked characters wouldn't be terrible either.

If that doesn't affect their schedule, I don't think anyone will reject the small updates of these characters, especially with the continuous update of the game. For example, many people in the community want some changes to wurt. I think it's good  Suggestion, but I think if these can be added to their schedule by klei, it will take a long time because now they focus on rot and character refresh and QOL updates.

I really hope they update or completly rework already reworked characters, because certain reworks did end up becoming the perfect Pick-and-Swap character (e.g. Warly: Least picked non-DLC character after Wes), other reworks on the other hand became too powerful (e.g. Wendy: Most picked character).

I can't quote now where the devs said it cause I'd have to go on a thread hunting for hours, but I recall around the time Wortox came out most people agreed that he was brokenly OP, and the devs responded something like that they may adress small tweaks in the future.

I don't think they should go on a full rework-rework thing again, maybe a patch at some point adressing small changes that most of the community agrees upon should do it.

Cases like Wendy should not be a step back, she is what she is, it was always a very popular character even before her rework, due to her design, and now that she's super strong that's probably how she will stay. Cases like Warly, Wurt or Winona would require a more in depth analysis, of how to make the characters good by just making numbers adjusting and QOL changes.

Basically the smallest possible, but yet effective changes adressing specific problems, and NOT outright pointless buffs like "catapults are now cheaper".

7 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

I really hope they update or completly rework already reworked characters, because certain reworks did end up becoming the perfect Pick-and-Swap character (e.g. Warly: Least picked non-DLC character after Wes), other reworks on the other hand became too powerful (e.g. Wendy: Most picked character).

Im p sure Warly is rarely used because you need to know the most complex part of the game, crockpots. You really cant change his character beyond that.

SMALL Tweaks are fine.. but complete reworks all over again? Oh heck no.. 

Ive actually thoroughly enjoyed every rework so far (with the exception of Warly who I am just plain awful with) and if Klei went in and changed these AGAIN it could make characters I enjoy playing as no longer Enjoyable.

For example- If they stripped Wendy of her new Pipspook Diving Rod “Locate lost stuffs” gameplay I will lose the one thing I enjoy the MOST about her rework.

I would consider Small tweaks to be things that improve upon what is already part of their Gameplay.. such as allowing WILLOW to be able to insert 2-3 Nightmare fuel into her Lighter to Refuel the darn thing... They gave her BERNIE who’s sole purpose is to farm Nightmare Fuel, the one item source WILLOW excels best at gathering now and she has no real use for it.

Small tweaks to Winona- Letting her Duct Tape repair burned structures or worn out “Basic” tools. (Anything above Basic would be too OP) and PLEASE make her totally useless Spotlight have more use.

Small tweaks for Wortox- Wortox is stupid OP.. but I don’t think he really needs tweaking outside of you know maybe reducing the amount of souls he can carry from 20 down to like 10-8 probably..

Major complete overhauls??? Heck no.

7 minutes ago, jpmrocks said:

Im p sure Warly is rarely used because you need to know the most complex part of the game, crockpots. You really cant change his character beyond that.

Another fact might be that there's no reason to play as Warly. Even if you select e.g. Wolfgang, you'll still be able to fully profit from Warly's abilities, but as Wolfgang you also won't need to suffer from Warly's penalties while also performing up to 100% better than Warly.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Another fact might be that there's no reason to play as Warly. Even if you select e.g. Wolfgang, you'll still be able to fully profit from Warly's abilities, but as Wolfgang you also won't need to suffer from Warly's penalties while also performing up to 100% better than Warly.

Exactly, the tweaks need to revolve around the specific issues each character has, and not aiming to be just buffs so they are picked more.

Examples I can think of:

- Wurt's gameplay relies almost exclusively around the merm king and the merms, however its just more profitable to to let the merm king starve every 2-3 days instead of taking care of him. You need to make 2 merm kings (one of each shard) which doesn't make much sense. You have no way to differentiate the merms, to know which one you fed first and which you didn't. Merms get lost often. Etc..
All of these things would need to be addressed, perhaps as shown here

- Winona and Warly have no reason to stay beyond creating their structures/dishes, and each needs a character specific advantage to let them be fun to keep playing the game as. 

- Willow is pretty much alright, but BERNIE! gets constantly lost as he can't follow you in and out of caves or through wormholes. He may also get into battle when you don't want him to engage anymore. Perhaps a small change like letting Willow make BERNIE! small for a few seconds, enough to pick it up again, would do the trick.

- Healers in all games get constant warnings about hurt players, and usually also get benefits themselves from healing others, Wortox has no way to tell which character is hurt and which isn't. There's also no intuitive reward for a Wortox to actively try to heal other players.

10 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Theres literally no reason to play any character then. You dont "need" a reason to pick a character outside of the fact you enjoy playing them. If youre trying to push some meta to a group survival game, then youre missing the point of DST.

13 minutes ago, jpmrocks said:

Theres literally no reason to play any character then. You dont "need" a reason to pick a character outside of the fact you enjoy playing them. If youre trying to push some meta to a group survival game, then youre missing the point of DST.

Playstyle is a tricky thing to nail down, but the underlying point they were making is pretty solid.

If you enjoy playing Warly for his downside, by all means, that's fine. But I'm going to guess the non-challenge/try-hard community play a character for their benefits (or if you're like me, aesthetic). The 'problem' with Warly's benefits is that they are entirely detached from his character. If you don't like his downside for how it is, or how difficult it is, you can easily peel away the 'good part' of the character without needing to touch the other part.

In most other cases this isn't possible—or not to the same extent (ie. Wigfrid can provide armor but not her leeching ability).

5 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Playstyle is a tricky thing to nail down, but the underlying point they were making is pretty solid.

If you enjoy playing Warly for his downside, by all means, that's fine. But I'm going to guess the non-challenge/try-hard community play a character for their benefits (or if you're like me, aesthetic). The 'problem' with Warly's benefits is that they are entirely detached from his character. If you don't like his downside for how it is, or how difficult it is, you can easily peel away the 'good part' of the character without needing to touch the other part.

In most other cases this isn't possible—or not to the same extent (ie. Wigfrid can provide armor but not her leeching ability).

I enjoy playing characters for their upsides, not downsides. I dont think anyone sane plays something that makes them worse. The good part about Warly is that he essentially can provide group buffs. His unique recipes are some of the strongest, being able to swap HP and Sanity, give natural electrical damage, give attack and defense boosts, increase swing speed, etc. His downside is the inability to eat non-crock foods, which is fine because he spawns in with a portable kitchen. Plus, he can create essentially a portable fridge. He is a walking kitchen, which while in a stationary base isn't as useful, but for mobile groups, he's an amazing asset.

11 hours ago, jpmrocks said:

Warly is rarely used because he's more of a "challenge" or "roleplay" character than a "trying really hard" or "helping you survive" character. Most people have issues surviving so they pick characters that make the game easier, which Warly doesn't really do. Even playing as easy characters like Wendy many players have problems with hunger and health management, so the last thing they'd want to do is pick a character who makes both of those harder.

I don't think character pick rates should really be considered much, if at all, for how successful a character is. Warly's a ton of fun and the only change I would really want on him is something to encourage staying on him more. I've seen people suggest he has doubled duration for his own buffs, I really like that. Not really that strong but it'd go a long way for making him feel more fun and giving a reason to stay on him.

You also don't really need to know crockpots to play Warly. Hunger can be solved by combinations of Meaty Stew and Meatballs, e.g. 1 meatstew and 1 meatball, or alternating meatstew and meatball spam. It's really fun to vary the recipes just to see the cool artwork Klei made for all the dishes but it's completely unnecessary.

5 hours ago, jpmrocks said:

I enjoy playing characters for their upsides, not downsides. I dont think anyone sane plays something that makes them worse. The good part about Warly is that he essentially can provide group buffs. His unique recipes are some of the strongest, being able to swap HP and Sanity, give natural electrical damage, give attack and defense boosts, increase swing speed, etc. His downside is the inability to eat non-crock foods, which is fine because he spawns in with a portable kitchen. Plus, he can create essentially a portable fridge. He is a walking kitchen, which while in a stationary base isn't as useful, but for mobile groups, he's an amazing asset.

So people that play wormwood are insane

Hahaha so ironic

17 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

I don't want to completely generalize but I always feel like this argument comes down to people don't like a effective downside on the character technically speaking even wicker the would be considered pick and swap once you farmed out a ton of food and resources if she had a downside in line with Warly. Then there's character's like maxwell who once you have a outrageous amount of resources there's no real reason to play either. I could be wrong but I feel like even if they make it alot easier to access his dishes Warly's popularity will still be simply due to him having one of the most effective downsides as not having a good perk is ok to general players it's having a impactful downside that seems to turn them away from a character

Another issue that Warly suffers from that makes him less popular to the casual players is since meat options are far more hunger restoring he's required to fight more if the group doesn't intend to carry the player and most casual players tend to be bad at fighting most meat sources without being perk assisted. Believe it or not Warly's crockpot is his early to late game teamplay ability traveling with the ability to get more mileage out of your food or craft healing foods on the go is vastly underestimated.

While I'm on the topic wormwood is in a odd spot theoretically he should be harder than Warly due to the no healing from food thing but he's not due to him being a character who naturally produces from nothing seeds spawn around players so he passively produces food even just staying around and people alway want to keep healing on hand for wormwood so he can produce living logs some people even want his armor for harvesting. Basically what I'm saying is he ends up as a character people actively done mind carrying due to his passive and active benefits being far too strong.

When you play mostly alone, you can’t really rely upon the perks of other players to aid you so you have to find a USE for a character all by itself..

And as someone who mains Wendy, I had no problem at all picking up and playing as Wormwood- Because even alone with no other player to aid him.. Wormwood is just that absurdly overpowered.

All you need is a few seeds, and a couple things of poop and starvation is never a problem for him- 

The only thing that some consider to be a problem for him is his inability to heal through eating foods.

Which for me personally, I never have any problem with because the game has a dedicated tab specifically for healing items, That ALL Characters (not just Wormwood) should have to Utilize using.

Also keep in mind the dude literally has a crafting tab to pull Armor & Traps out of his own body.

A #WendyMain, should also have no problem at all swapping to playing as WALTER, A lot of things Wendy would have relied upon Abigail to help her do (kill rabbits or birds without traps, kill bee’s, Etc) A Wendy player will very easily adapt to simply using the slingshot and gold or marble pellets to do these things.

But I guess in the end it boils down to a persons personal skill level and not the character they choose to play as.

And I can say without a doubt that I hate Warly and Wes (probably Warly more than I do Wes..) because I can’t find viable uses for them when playing alone.

Let me try and put that into a perspective you’ll hopefully Understand, I MAIN Wendy, that’s a known fact, but what people may not know about me is that I will play every character from time to time, even have used the “random” button a few times.

And every character I play as has some form of utility that makes them interesting and rewarding to play by themselves- 

Winona.. the character everyone seems to see as a pick and swap character is actually one of my top 5 picks for playing alone, Her ability to craft Trusty Tape and use that to repair- Winter Hats, Thermal Stone Durability, and Boat Leaks makes her the QUEEN of a Winter Boating Trip.. not to mention her own placeable Catapults which are as close as we’re going to get to having actual boat canons for now.

I have started playing less and less of the ones who have NOT been Reworked yet, because I would hate to get used to the way they play NOW and then Klei turns them on their heads with their refreshes later.. but I still play as those.

(just not as much)

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wormwood is just that absurdly overpowered.

No he isn't, he really isn't. Lets review his perks:

-Can make Living Logs, which is useful but OP as the same result can be made with a axe and a little bit of luck. Again, while circumventing the RNG is very useful and makes items like Dark Swords even more broken due to their newfound availability, it is not powerful enough to be in the same actual OP perks like the books and ungodly powerful attacks.

-Can make a verity of Gear with Living Logs: Depends on how you use them, but not of them is not something that has a equal or better equivalent. The only one that doesn't is the Bramble Husk due to it's special effects, which are all very useful and have a verity of uses depending on creativity, but useful doesn't mean OP. A Piggyback is very useful for leaving places with a bunch of materials that you need/want, but that doesn't mean it is OP.

-Planting Seeds straight into the ground: While you do cut through the middle man of obtaining farm plots to plot in, you still have to deal with all the other problems of growing plants. You still have to Flingo them for summer, are stagnate in Winter, you have to wait ~6 days for them to grow, if you want a specific crop then hope you like gambling because that is still there, and they need to be collected before a certain number of days less they rot while on the "vine". Yes, you remove the biggest hurdle in the crop growing process, but there is still a lot of other hurdles to go through. The biggest issues that the vegetables are still inconstant in quality and often don't have many big crockpot uses. There are things like the vegetable stinger and fancy spiraled tubers, but those are more outliers then proofs. Sure, you can get a huge boost in quality with a Warly around to make his special dishes, but since you are judging the plant boi on the quality of himself alone, so will I. Yes, it can be good if you just have seeds growing passively, but it still would never work as a main food source. It may be powerful once you get a certin amount (or get absurdly lucky) but it can never be considered OP since it can rarely ever hit the absurdity of actually OP stuff in this game.

-Gains sanity from planting stuff: When kept for refilling his sanity after a long session of tree evisceration, it can be useful, but often times it just sort of explodes in usefulness and then disappears until the next big planting session. Useful when used well, but not OP.

-Can heal himself with fecal matter: Useful when you just encounter it naturally or in emergency, but more common healing items are much more useful then making you smell like a Taco Bell Bathroom.

-Blooms in spring: Useful but unless you plan ahead, it's usefulness can very. This is the only Perk I can be considered broken since a proper set up can be used to replace or further amplify a magiluminessence, the problem being that this perk is fleeting that it's more of a "spark of a moment" advantage instead of a actual perk that is worth playing for him strictly alone

-Eyeplants and Barnacle Flowers are uncaring to him: Useful if you bunch them all together, but still not game changing nor OP

-Can't be hurt by food: It's fine. It allows him to eat monster foods with severely less penalty, but it still doesn't have much uses as not many foods drain health

From the total list of his perks, we can see that he is very powerful if used correctly, but is he OP? No. He has good perks that can make a serious impact on a play style, no of them come close to breaking the crest of power that is needed to be considered OP. While you are free to have you opinion, I feel it is not a very well informed opinion. Since you have stated numerous times that you flippantly create new worlds just to have certin aspects changed, the way you disregard bosses as something that you can just throw bears at until they are dead, and the way you ask for changes that would have little effect on the game overall, you seem to have not truley experienced or learned about the mechanics and things the game has to offer. For example, you frequently claim that you wish that Warrior Pigs and Obelisks were in the game when they actually are but you refuse to continue with a world long enough to find them (Warrior pigs are a bit of random chance but still they are in the game nonetheless). You are allowed to have your opinion but pleases make it a informed opinion. I can make a opinion of the 1500's era but it would not be a informed opinion since I have not done any research on it and thus have nothing to compare it too.

The reason why people often talk about bosses in this way is that they have something objective to compare it too instead of something like survival which vary differently due to things like luck and skill, that is why it is important to at least understand how powerful the bosses are since they give a stand point on how powerful a character is since they are comparing their power to the other most powerful beings in the game. Sure, a character's OPerity is also determined by other things, but bosses are often the most important since they give actual OP items though effort and have a somewhat objective way of measuring how a character is when their perks are confronted with these figures of power. While you can have you opinion , atleast make it a informed opinion by comparing it things that are actually powerful.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

And I can say without a doubt that I hate Warly and Wes (probably Warly more than I do Wes..) because I can’t find viable uses for them when playing alone.

While I will agree that Wes is a dead weight (since that is what he is suppose to be), Warly isn't. He has a much higher learning curves and takes sometime to truly get up their in strength but his personal dishes and spices really do make him special and useful even if you are by yourself. Glowberry Puree makes it so that you can have armor, light, and a weapon all at the same time with no down side. Fresh Fruit Crepes are the best food choice if get butter, He has several high stat restoring dishes, and his spices just make him into a buffer from a RPG, which can obviously get absurd when stacked with other buffs. In short, he has a lot usefulness with his cooking, it is just that you have to actually work hard on a single base with multiple farms to reach it's fruition. Is he in need of a personal perk? Yes, but that doesn't mean that he is a dead weight or not viable when alone, if just takes more elbow grease then the average character and actual long term commitment.

On Topic, yes I feel that Klei will add or change small thing about characters in the future but it might be a little while till they reach that point.

Archived