I know how popular is this question can be, but how can I cool my water from Cold steam vent without wheezewort and Thermo aquatuner? And is it possible at all?

P.S. can you attach a screenshot with automation and pipe scheme, if possible, please?

11 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Depends on what you consider a legitimate use of game mechanics.  I can think of quite a few, but not sure you want them. 

I consider a fair use is using an other gases/liquids for cooling, using liquid or solid storages, using an Anti-Entropy Thermal Nullifier, etc. But I don't mind abusing bugs and glitches if i can't do something of previous.

I hope i understood you right.

1 hour ago, Duck986 said:

Some of these are exploits of ONI physics, some are flat out bugs that need smashing, and some are in between. I'd rather not debate what each is (I have my personal opinions, and campaign to smash ones I find truly egregious). 

1. Run a steam turbine where only one tile underneath is at 125C, and the rest at 110C. A split-steam turbine, with a steel battery under the one tile side and a slow drip of 0.1g steam, can easily do this. 
  2. Use SHC mechanics, such as the crying-crab cooler design, to keep things cool. I saw someone using this recently to keep their steam turbines nicely cooled to under 100C without any real effort. 
  3. Use critters, and the fact that they reset their temperature at every life stage, to cool things. 
  4. Build temp-shift plates like mad around the thing, to train your dupes in construction and constantly reset the temp to near 45C. 
  5. Algae terrariums reset the temp of hot incoming water to a nice cool 40C.  You can use this to design a device to keep temps low. Basically it's the old water seive mechanic, just not as massively overpowered (but still powerful enough to abuse it) . If you goal is oxygen, from the CSV, then this is probably much more efficient than electrolyzing it. I have not seen pictures of a design like this, but I'm sure someone has made it, and probably even shared it. The fact that they reset temp is the key (whether that is a bug to be smashed, or not, I have no opinion). 
  6. You can trick a liquid tepidizer into heating up the steam to 125C, and then gobbling it all up. 
  7. You can use bead pumps and or bypass pumps to suck all the steam away to other places, and deal with them there (if the issue is you keep getting things overpressurized, and you want to get all your matter, then this is a solution that lets you choose another place to deal with condensing or heating). 
  8. You could use the bug related to stacking debris, where the mass of a debri pile doesn't drop when performing thermal computations, to either heat or cool your steam.
  9. You could use the temp reset bug of genetic ooze objects (the fridge cooler). 
  10. Prior to this last update, you could have used the temp swap bug. 
  11. You can use left-to-right liquid flow bugs to amplify cooling or heating, so either heat things up to 125C, or cool them down to 97C. I hope this bug goes away soon, along with the same bug that allows you to do the same thing with gasses (at a lower rate). 
  12. The list could go on.  

If you search for any of the terms above, using "site:forums.kleientertainment.com" in your google search string, then you should be able to quickly locate pictures and builds of all of the above.

5 hours ago, Duck986 said:

I consider a fair use is using an other gases/liquids for cooling, using liquid or solid storages, using an Anti-Entropy Thermal Nullifier, etc. But I don't mind abusing bugs and glitches if i can't do something of previous.

A great way of securing yourself a bunch of water is to use an ice conveyor belt - build a little conveyor loop in your geyser room, bridge into it with a loader line, pump in ice.

Condenses your steam, melts your ice - much water, many wets.

Alternatively (and my normal goto) a simple liquid radiator filled with any cooling liquid you have at hand, i.e. salt water, polluted water - anything you either a) have on your map in the wild, or b) have a geyser for.  Add a liquid shutoff and a pipe thermo sensor to dump the radiator water when it gets too warm and you're done. Add some tempshift plates for funsies if you want, but they aren't needed if you use radiant piping. I've also added a high [ressure vent with a dummy gas pipe for later incase I want to pump external steam in for condensing too.

image.thumb.png.4a0e36bcc563ffccbe1787b12a94262e.png

depr.thumb.png.99cda2c94a173e11e4be4d0739f1d2a5.png

**Edit, after re-reading, I fear I may have answered an unasked question :D Were you looking specifically for cooling hot vent water to water for crops etc ? **

Best use of a steam vent I've still seen was designed by Tony Advanced.  The idea is heating up the steam a little bit more so a turbine becomes the means of removing the water instead of cooling it down so a pump can.  The energy already in that steam is quite a lot.

It had been awhile, I forgot it was 2 videos.  The early version is another video

Hmmm, the energy needed to heat the steam further is far greater than the power gain... Not sure I'd recommend that build to an enemy :D 

(yes, yes, I know you're getting ~20% of the water cooled, but still seems like a massive faff for little gain to me)

I don't know, you are using another source of something cold.  Technically taking the energy out of that.  Rather than some self contained system.  If I used some polluted water vents for a coolant I wouldn't have to bother either.

You don't even need to be cooling water with the design Tony is using.  You will always need an aquatuner somewhere for something.  Making the aquatuner room also the steam vent room is an extra level of efficiency.

I just don't think you'd bang your icecream in the oven before freezing it in real life - because the negative is obvious.

Using something that every map generally has available, i.e. natural salt water/polluted water, or a geyser (slush ideally, polluted water also works a treat) - using that liquid to condense the steam from the vent into usable water whilst at the same time preparing your radiator water to say ~95 degrees c to then be further boiled for purification/cooling or whatever else later. 

Suppose i'm looking at it from a slightly different perspective.

Both have a delta of 15c.  Either raising it to 125 or reducing it to around 95.  The heat produced from the aquatuner is a ~free~ byproduct.  I guess I value using the heat byproduct of things too much.

Same reason I boil my salt water using the heat byproduct from a metal refinery and use steam turbines to remove that steam.  Free desalination through metal refinery.

5 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Were you looking specifically for cooling hot vent water to water for crops etc?

Can be. I looked for answer because I don't want my base heated with water in general. 

Thank you all for answers! I will even save this post

There is a mod. It provides Radiators for Space. You can pump liquid through there and it radiates a little bit into space. 

For me this makes totally sense, and it is my preferred long term solution for getting rid of excess heat. 

Because the vents keep on producing heat and water out of nowhere. 

6 hours ago, SmileyMerx said:

Because the vents keep on producing heat and water out of nowhere. 

it's not out of nowhere, it's from the centre of the asteroid :D We know this because they're called geysers/vents and not called "magical goodie givers".

On 7/12/2020 at 2:47 AM, Duck986 said:

how can I cool my water from Cold steam vent without wheezewort and Thermo aquatuner

One option is Gulp fish. When they eat polluted water it outputs 25c water I believe, even if it was 99c polluted water. So your cooling is limited to how much co2 you have to keep the carbon skimmer converting the water into p-water (and secondarily limited to how many gulp fish you have but you wouldn't need many).

Wouldn't be so easy to setup but should be very effective. Here's some stuff from VoQn:

https://gyazo.com/0ff06201708b21c7604eb3e424ea30a1

https://youtu.be/UvRF26c-Vb0

On 7/11/2020 at 1:17 PM, mathmanican said:

Algae terrariums reset the temp of hot incoming water to a nice cool 40C.  You can use this to design a device to keep temps low. Basically it's the old water seive mechanic, just not as massively overpowered (but still powerful enough to abuse it) . If you goal is oxygen, from the CSV, then this is probably much more efficient than electrolyzing it. I have not seen pictures of a design like this, but I'm sure someone has made it, and probably even shared it. The fact that they reset temp is the key (whether that is a bug to be smashed, or not, I have no opinion). 

I can vouch for this.  It works very very well.  Basically it doesn't matter what temp the water is that goes into the terrarium -- the bottle of PW that pops out is 40c.  So given enough time, it'll eventually settle around 40c.  Of course, I did this months ago.  I haven't seen anything from the patch notes that would alter this behavior, however.

On 7/13/2020 at 12:56 AM, mathmanican said:

Clearly a name change is in order.  Who wants to start the campaign.

Cool Steam Vent -> CSV-MGG

Water Geyser -> WG-MGG

Salt Water Geyser -> SWG-MGG

Cool Slush Geyers -> CSG-MGG

Volcano -> V-MGG

Minor Volcano -> MV-MGG

Hydrogen Vent -> HV-MGG

and so on. It works. :)

4 hours ago, TheMule said:

Cool Steam Vent -> CSV-MGG

Water Geyser -> WG-MGG

Salt Water Geyser -> SWG-MGG

Cool Slush Geyers -> CSG-MGG

Volcano -> V-MGG

Minor Volcano -> MV-MGG

Hydrogen Vent -> HV-MGG

and so on. It works. :)

My suggestions:

Magical Mistempered Essence Giver

Magical Life Essence Giver

Magical Salty Essence Giver

Magical Cool Plumbing Giver

Magical Death or Life Giver

Magical Mistake

Magical Star Voyage Giver

On 7/11/2020 at 2:17 PM, mathmanican said:

You can trick a liquid tepidizer into heating up the steam to 125C, and then gobbling it all up. 

I thought the tepidizer on/off pulse trick broke on reload?  If so, I'm not following this one. [EDIT: never mind just found your Sunday post, how did I miss that one?]

and can't find documentation of this one? Can you elaborate on these two?

<<You could use the bug related to stacking debris, where the mass of a debri pile doesn't drop when performing thermal computations, to either heat or cool your steam. >>

2 hours ago, Denisetwin said:

Can you elaborate

Imagine a pile of debris or a building with stuff in it (stuff in buildings is essentially just a pile of debris). It has a certain thermal mass. If you take away half of the pile, it ought to now have half the thermal mass. This doesn't happen though, instead the pile retains the original thermal mass. Start with 25 tons and take away 24 tons, the remaining 1 ton has the same cooling or heating potential as the original 25 tons. Plus you put the 24 tons somewhere so you can then take away 23 tons of that. Repeat until you've multiplied the original thermal mass to your heart's content. Adding to a pile or loading a save causes things to be recalculated correctly. 

The most common example of this is the last little bit that comes out of a conveyor loader. If you pay attention, you'll see that odd mass bit doesn't heat or cool like it should. Interestingly, the visual size of the pile is affected by this bug as well. That last little bit looks larger than it should.

I've been thinking about making an example that shows this and another debris bug. They are the two biggest remaining bugs in the simulation that I am aware of IMO. But abusing bugs goes against my nature and I usually take a nap instead. I'm much more about figuring out how the bug works so I can avoid it.

Here's a screenshot demonstrating the visual size aspect of the bug

image.thumb.png.64c3e7f27077d4d1612136f9a6f9e3eb.png

The loader had 801kg in it, I deleted the conveyor rails (and many of the piles) to make things easier to see. Note how the last pile of 1kg looks larger than the other piles of 20kg. That's because the game thinks it's 801kg.

Note: I believe this is the debris bug he is referring to. But maybe he means another bug. There are a lot of bugs if you haven't noticed :(

1 hour ago, wachunga said:

But abusing bugs goes against my nature and I usually take a nap instead.

You can PM me with the idea, I can build it, advertise it, and campaign to remove it (give you as much credit as you want, all or none). I have several ideas on these ones too.  I was hoping @Blazing Falken would complete the deed last year, but I think this issue is about at the same time he disappeared. 

Archived