I found it always fun showing new people Woodie's curse

Ever since Kiel added the spoiler to Woodie's curse it's going to be harder to show it off without them knowing what it is. It always was funny hearing people yell and laugh at the forms I do not know why Kiel spoiled Woodie's main ability and not keep it like before! New people exist on the form and I like to see when people freak out at the were-forms in laughter! (Sorry for any salt, I just find it weird they changed this.)

I have a fond memory of playing in a public world with someone who was apparently playing the game for the first time as Woodie. This was before his refresh. They remarked how cool it was that they could chop wood so fast. The others of us in the world warned them not to chop too much, too fast. The Woodie player asked why very confused. We all just said vaguely that he was cursed without explaining what it was. Then the full moon came around, and they became werebeaver, and hilarity ensued.

There is a kind of special fun that comes with seeing new players genuinely surprised by a funny, surprising thing like that in a game.

Honestly, i really miss ol' DST Woodie, the only problem with him was the weak werebeaver form he had, didn't really like the fact that they decided to completly change his mechanics and make his werebeaver more of a convenient tool than an amusing curse, the blind reactions were priceless indeed, glad they aren't completly gone though.

People on Xbox don’t really read the compendium.. (I appreciate it, but most the KIDS.. don’t really pay it any attention) I love it when I turn into a goose and chase some poor helpless kid, they freak out yelling & screaming into their headsets “Ahhhhh help help there’s a Duck chasing me and I don’t know what it wants!”

ahahaha xD man... maybe I’m not the best person to play this game with now that I think about it.

58 minutes ago, Lammarr said:

Honestly, i really miss ol' DST Woodie, the only problem with him was the weak werebeaver form he had, didn't really like the fact that they decided to completly change his mechanics and make his werebeaver more of a convenient tool than an amusing curse, the blind reactions were priceless indeed, glad they aren't completly gone though.

I definitely agree. I love Woodie and his new forms are really cool, but his beaver curse specifically was his signature. Half man, half beaver seems so much more fitting for him than 25% man, 25% beaver, 25% moose, 25% goose... It just sucked because beaver form was terrible and it was triggered WAY too easily. He is definitely a lot more powerful now, but I feel that when he gained the two other transformations he lost a little bit of his charm.

This is for DS, but I watched Pikasprey play DS for the first time a few months ago and chat told him a bit about Woodie's curse but not enough to completely spoil it. The first thing he did playing Woodie? Chopped a bunch of trees down in the first like, two minutes of day one and triggered the werebeaver transformation. He gave a panicked but also confused delighted shout and paused the game like "what was that??????" and everyone lost their minds. It's great and always a delight. 

For DST, I knew about the weregoose transformation when I played DST Woodie for the first time, but it was my very first full moon transformation when I was playing with a friend and I also just lost it. Mostly because he's just flailing around in a panic. It's great. 

7 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

idk, novel shock humor vs a game with clarity and interesting mechanics....  Why does that not seem like a hard choice...

I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. A game can have both interesting mechanics and surprising moments, see: Woodie post-rework but pre-QoL character select changes.

One time I told a new guy that he could get honey from hammering the gigantic bee hive. 
I hammered it one time to show him, left the hammer on the ground and left
I think that's the most evil thing I did in this game so far

Spoiler

Yes, he died minutes after
no regrets so far

3 hours ago, Bijumiro said:

One time I told a new guy that he could get honey from hammering the gigantic bee hive. 
I hammered it one time to show him, left the hammer on the ground and left
I think that's the most evil thing I did in this game so far

Hide contents

Yes, he died minutes after
no regrets so far

when i introduce someone in the game i always tell them "do you wanna hammer/chop this?" (toads cap) to see their reaction xD

15 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't quite get the point you're trying to make. A game can have both interesting mechanics and surprising moments, see: Woodie post-rework but pre-QoL character select changes.

As funny as watching someone have absolutely no clue what is happening in the game they are playing, it is nothing but novelty.  I'd rather game mechanics were clear enough that you can understand what is going on.

Similarly I think jump scares are also garbage in horror films, and spoilers won't ruin a good movie.

6 hours ago, Shosuko said:

jump scares are also garbage in horror films,

That's why ROT seems like a good back to basics for Klei. We need more ever sensing dread.

They kind of backpedaled on the horror hounds when the grey skin bothered a amount of players for "creepiness". We really need that creepiness but we'll see what else they'll add.

Archived