Wigfrid Rework Ideas

I became inspired while talking to my half brother about the rework concepts he's making so its time to throw my hat into the ring.

Pros: 

-Life and Sanity gain from combat remain the same

-Flat bonuses stay the same, maybe up or down slightly

-Is a method actor: Builds up expertise with a category of tools the longer its in her hands, allowing her to chop/mine faster, deal more damage and have an easier time fishing. Wigfrid loses expertise over time when he hand is empty or holds a different tool. The tool categories are: Melee weapon, Ranged Weapon, Axe, Pickaxe, Shovel, Light Source and Pitchfork. Pitchfork expertise allows her to scoop up terrain faster, light source expertise makes torches and lanterns burn out a little slower.

Cons:

-Can still only ear meat and animal products

-Max hunger and sanity are still low

-Is a bit clumsy: For the first half a day or so of building expertise with a tool she is worse with it than anyone else, weapons deal less damage (though still more than base thanks to her 25% bonus) it takes more swings to chop or mine, light sources burn out faster and fishing rods, shovels and pitchforks are slower. 

As with anything I will ever post, feedback is welcomed.

I believe the current general state of Wigfrid is almost perfect. I for one wouldn't change anything of what she currently has. Instead I would add some more minor and/or optional elements - like maybe possibility to further upgrade or make special armor in Ruins (Thule variants with better stats for her Battle Helmet and Spear), perhaps a torso counterpart of her gear. As a group perk possibly a BattleCry similar in function with her Forge one. Nothing big, keep it simple, neat, with baseline left unchanged akin Wendy's rework.

7 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I believe the current general state of Wigfrid is almost perfect. I for one wouldn't change anything of what she currently has. Instead I would add some more minor and/or optional elements - like maybe possibility to further upgrade or make special armor in Ruins (Thule variants with better stats for her Battle Helmet and Spear), perhaps a torso counterpart of her gear. As a group perk possibly a BattleCry similar in function with her Forge one. Nothing big, keep it simple, neat, with baseline left unchanged akin Wendy's rework.

I respect that stance but I still feel that leaning into her method acting backround would be more interesting.

I personally would like to see them lean further into her role in a group setting, which is the tank/blacksmith. As @x0-VERSUS-1y said, might as well give her the torso equivalent to her other 2 battle items. Don't see why not.

I'd also like to see her be able to take aggro more easily. Allow her to throw her spear at something and instantly gain its attention, kind of like what Woodie's axe did in Forge. 

Allowing her to repair armor & weapons might be cool too. She could get an exclusive, stationary craft (Anvil) and use it to repair any armor, requiring that armor's main resource to do so (logs to fix log suit, thule to fix thule gear)

37 minutes ago, DirtWolf said:

I'd also like to see her be able to to take aggro more easily.

I myself would enjoy that, but the community seems to want to give that characteristic to Wes.

Personally, I thought it would be a neat idea to make her a glass cannon, similar to how Wendy's rework looked at first. Lower health, higher damage. Make her a big risk/reward character.

Wigfrid being a glass cannon fundamentally changes her character identity, though. The "damage" character is Wolfgang, not Wigfrid. With her passive damage mitigation, life steal, and starting off with a helmet, she's anything but easy to kill. The reworks haven't been aiming to 180 on a character's core design.

I personally dislike the aspect of Wigfrid as a method actor in future reworks and considerations. I would double down on the valkyrie background she has. 

She's not a worker, she's not a farmer, she's a fighter. No matter how inferior to Wolfgang she may be in raw damage.

I truly don't think there's much day to day she can do that isn't being done already by other characters when taken out of the context of combat.

One thing I would add to Wigfrid is an intimidating scream that scrambles mobs like pigs, bunnymen, grumble bees, bees, merms, larvae etc so they run around aimlessly so she can pick them off one by one and be safe or do be a refreshing asset to a boss raid or help her do solo raid fights more reasonably. 

It's not the only feature i'd want in her rework, but it would be a start 

Wigfrid is NOT a real Viking Warrior, myself and several others believe her real identity was Winnie, I just want a Wigfrid rework to show hints that she is NOT a mighty Viking Warrior.. maybe by requiring Winona’s Spotlight shined into her to give her additional stats (she’s an ACTRESS who took the Method Acting of pretending to be a Viking Warrior so serious that she lost her true identity in the Role)

Therefore- it makes the most logical sense that she would perform at her greatest when the lights are on her.

19 hours ago, DirtWolf said:

Wigfrid being a glass cannon fundamentally changes her character identity, though. The "damage" character is Wolfgang, not Wigfrid. With her passive damage mitigation, life steal, and starting off with a helmet, she's anything but easy to kill. The reworks haven't been aiming to 180 on a character's core design.

I also disagree with this- she maybe isn’t a REAL Viking Warrior but in her head she thinks she is.. so of course she’s going to put up a Vikings fight, and the closer she gets to death.. the harder she’s going to fight to prevent joining her fallen comrades in Valhalla.

Characters in the constant are rarely what they are in the real world.

Wickerbottom can't truly summon lightning, grow crops and put living creatures to sleep when reading a book outside of the constant. In function, Wickerbottom is basically a witch. On paper, her occupation is a librarian.

Wilson isn't actually a qualified scientist in the real world but he presented as such in the constant.

Wendy couldn't dream to kill spiders with summoner magic outside of the constant but lo and behold, she does this in the constant. She is a summoner mage.

Wigfrid being a method actor is just that; a title and a job she had in her past. For what it's worth, everything Wigfrid is in the constant reflects a background of being a functioning valkyrie. In norse mythology, Wigfrid is an excellent example of what a valkyrie is. Chooses the slain and draws power from those she  sends to valhalla. 

As a Wigfrid player primarily, I would feel especially slighted if they backpedaled on the norse mythology angle she represents. 
I also can't imagine she would keep her weakness of eating meat full time if they embraced the actress angle which is a large part of her playstyle.

I strongly disagree with embracing the method actor part of her rather than doubling down on the norse mythology.

Be that as it may, an overwhelming majority of her quotes, mannerisms, playstyle and general look reflects on norse mythology. Abandoning easter eggs in her quotes that reference her past career in the performance arts would be a waste, but on the other side of the coin, leaning into the the performing arts would betray her character as it stands and functions.

Not to mention, when it comes to OP's suggestion to improve her efficiency when performing chores through her method acting would serve to be redundant. We already have Maxwell, Woodie, Wurt and Warly who already function as worker bees. 

What I would find more suitable to her character would be more weapon and armor crafts if we don't manage to see an enhancement of combat abilities 

14 hours ago, chirsg said:

an enhancement of combat abilities 

this is what id like to see added most of all. wolfgang is the brute force highest damage facetanker, i think it would be nice for wig to have more clever ways of combatting like the forge weapon skills but i think thats wishful thinking haha.. we'll just have to wait and see. i agree with the sentiment that the way she is now is really good.

some kind of extra perk that would bring her out of wolfgang's shadow would be really nice 

I think it would be neat if she could throw her spear or do a pyre poker from the forge. Also, the rapid-hit mechanic with the spiral spear in the forge every few attacks would be cool too, although it would only work with her battle spear. A team buff (also in the forge) would also be nice.

I also think she could have acting abilities such as "Play Dead," she pretends to die, causing all hostile mobs to de-aggro, with the exception of mobs that can access your mind (like the fuelweaver.) If she attacks an enemy after playing dead, and it has not aggroed her already, that hit deals extra damage. Playing dead only works once.

Battle Cry: while fighting she scares/stuns all non-boss mobs for 3 secs, it has a AoE effect (similar to forge)

- Spend less time kiting small/medium mobs, can effect large group of monsters

Unicorn Banner: while in it radius, it boost all players defense/damage by 25% (gives Wigfrid a total of 50% damage/defense)

- 1 board, 1 glommer goop, 1 papyrus

- Teamworking perk that lifts the fighting spirit, doesn't stack with other banners

- Portable (5 uses), needs time to setup (breakable)

Shredder: 1 less meat - Turkey gives 2 drumsticks, Wigfrid only gets 1 (spiders still gives 1 monster meat)

- makes Wigfrid's carnivore diet more of a downside (hambats/turkey dinners are harder to get for Wigfrid)

yea,in my opinion, new crafts is what she needs. For example some sort of buffing totem maybe. something, that enhances her, as a support fighter. Wolfgang is a lone wolf(gang), his powers only extend to him only. Wigfrid, I believe, is a support fighter, who can dish out damage on her own, but she can also craft equipment to others. And I want this role to be better, with more crafts that benefit everyone's fighting power.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, Woloa said:

I became inspired while talking to my half brother about the rework concepts he's making so its time to throw my hat into the ring.

Pros: 

-Life and Sanity gain from combat remain the same

-Flat bonuses stay the same, maybe up or down slightly

-Is a method actor: Builds up expertise with a category of tools the longer its in her hands, allowing her to chop/mine faster, deal more damage and have an easier time fishing. Wigfrid loses expertise over time when he hand is empty or holds a different tool. The tool categories are: Melee weapon, Ranged Weapon, Axe, Pickaxe, Shovel, Light Source and Pitchfork. Pitchfork expertise allows her to scoop up terrain faster, light source expertise makes torches and lanterns burn out a little slower.

Cons:

-Can still only ear meat and animal products

-Max hunger and sanity are still low

-Is a bit clumsy: For the first half a day or so of building expertise with a tool she is worse with it than anyone else, weapons deal less damage (though still more than base thanks to her 25% bonus) it takes more swings to chop or mine, light sources burn out faster and fishing rods, shovels and pitchforks are slower. 

As with anything I will ever post, feedback is welcomed.

I think, Wigfrid´s stats are ok, but she shouldn´t gain life on combat and she should have a little buff, like upgrade her damage multiplier from x1.25 to x1.30 but melee only, the ranged weapons wouldn´t apply the damage multiplier.

Will it be too much or has sense? Will it be too hard for klei people?

4 hours ago, juani_sm said:

I think, Wigfrid´s stats are ok, but she shouldn´t gain life on combat and she should have a little buff, like upgrade her damage multiplier from x1.25 to x1.30 but melee only, the ranged weapons wouldn´t apply the damage multiplier.

Will it be too much or has sense? Will it be too hard for klei people?

Why remove one of the things that makes her unique and interesting and buff something that's uninteresting? 

On 8/17/2020 at 2:59 PM, DirtWolf said:

Why remove one of the things that makes her unique and interesting and buff something that's uninteresting? 

Because the life regen is too op, also she only eats good meat almost always and this give you health up, also, if I want to regen on combat, I´ll craft a bat bat 

Archived