[Game Update] - 417610

• Developer

Happy Monday everyone! Hope your weekend was great! Here's some more fixes for the Testing Branch:

• Color blind modes improvement (discussion thread):
    • Crop Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Power Overlay now supports alternate color sets, and "Generator" icons are brighter for each mode
    • Rooms Overlay now supports alternate color sets. There are too many colors used in this mode to effectively find excellent colours for each mode, so colors have been chosen to focus on making the most common rooms feel distinct from one another
    • Germ Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Harvest Tool Overlay now supports alternate color sets
  • Light overlay color is more vivid so it matches color choices of other overlays and is easier to read lower light-levels.
  • When hovering a Wire, its current load will only be colored "strained" if its potential load is higher than its max load.
  • Fix Critter Feeder storage errand type to be Ranching Supply instead of Storage
  • Fix meteors depositing regolith on the wrong side of thin walls.
  • Duplicants no longer emit CO2 puffs in to a cell different than the one they were standing in. This prevents them from injecting CO2 into rooms that would be otherwise air-tight/unbreathable.
  • Duplicant breath effects now match the actual mouth position and facing of the Duplicant. No more exhaling from the middle of the back!
  • Skill Scrubber now has a higher priority class, which should help the dupes head there without ignoring it
  • Fixed a bug where items dropped from buildings would not become active if it was a "pickupable" object.
  • Critter Feeder, Fish Feeder, and Lure are now Ranching Supply errands instead of Storage.
  • Duplicants no longer regain "Mourning" status if there is a dead Duplicant when the game loads.

View full update

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Critter Feeder, Fish Feeder, and Lure are now Ranching Supply errands instead of Storage.

So I'm confused on this, is it a ranching errand or a supply errand or both? Mostly confused how this is affected for priorities and duplicant interests.

In order to figure out why steam turbines heat deletion is an issue, @TripleM999, @Manarz, and I have been working on cracking things.  We are pretty sure that when the gas mechanics algorithm tries to equalize heat, but doing so would result in a low mass cell increasing in temperature above the neighboring cell, then instead of equalizing heat you swap temperatures. This results in possibly large amounts of heat being deleted.  I'm pretty sure you guys read the forums, but if you missed this one then we've got a nasty heat deletion device under construction, which we'll have fun optimizing over the next few days.  

Would one way to fix this be to abort the heat equalization attempt, rather than swap temps?  So if the game tries to equalize heat, but fails, rather than swap temps we just abort and do nothing. That should hopefully prevent heat deletion in turbines, as well as prevent a new monstrosity from appearing. It will possibly slow down gas heat transfer some, but at least equalize energy.  As i don't know all the mechanics at play, nor inter dependencies of this mechanic with other things, I can't readily predict what this would mean for the rest of the game, but it seems that just aborting and not temp swapping would fix this issue. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Skill Scrubber now has a higher priority class, which should help the dupes head there without ignoring it

Could you allow to use it without spent all skill points because, in the actual version you can't use the scrubber if the Duplicant still have remain points.

• Thanks 1

• Developer
42 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

So I'm confused on this, is it a ranching errand or a supply errand or both? Mostly confused how this is affected for priorities and duplicant interests.

@crbd115  Here's the originating report, and the reasoning:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, klei.ruby said:

@crbd115  Here's the originating report, and the reasoning:

Ok this doesn't really help, my question is mostly just about understanding how these hybrid labeled errands work in general I guess. For example, if a duplicant a higher priority on supply but also a lower priority on ranching then set this to a normal priority or how would this work?

• Sad 1

Since you are limiting the already narrow usability of sweepy, I'd like to ask if, to compensate a bit, we could have a bit more customizability about what it sweeps. A selection to chose what it sweeps and what it doesn't would be ideal, but I could settle for the option of preventing it from sweeping liquids, as that alone makes it almost unusable inside pools of liquids! Thanks!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crbd115 said:

Ok this doesn't really help, my question is mostly just about understanding how these hybrid labeled errands work in general I guess. For example, if a duplicant a higher priority on supply but also a lower priority on ranching then set this to a normal priority or how would this work?

This is my general understanding:

some buildings need resources to operate. Think of the research station that needs dirt. It generates two different errends, one to resupply dirt, one to operate the machine.

The resupply errands fall into two categories, in this case, Researching and Supply. So a dup with high prio (+40) on Researching sees the errand at 45. The same for a dup with high prio Supplying.

Storing errands are meant to... well, put things away, storing them for later use. Having feeders generate Storing errands was messing up with priority setups. E.g. high prio rancher would ignore them, and setting them to high prio storing would make them go around the map to fill low prio bins.

This change puts ranching-related building in line with the other buildings: they generate hybrid X/Supplying errands when X is the type of errand the generate to be operated by dups. A Coal engine for example generates Operation/Supply errands.

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

No more exhaling from the middle of the back!

OMG

That is something the "ignorance is a bliss" saying was made.

Edit: Are you taking suggestions? Please make the pliers mod part of the base game!.

Edited by melquiades
  • Like 4

ok so basically if you look at the priority's tab and put your mouse on the supply it list all of the supply errands that will do prioritized. so now the feeders are added to the list so if you put it a priority 1 but a generator 9 they will priority the gen but if the feeders are 9 they will first supply them. so in simple terms whatever dupe has their personal priorities to high on supply they will do all supply errands but if you prioritize the feeders to 9 they will first supply the feeders and obviously their urgent priority overrides everything including yellow but not red. the urgent priority is when the dupe needs basic filtering such as using the bathroom eating all of that but once those actions are done they will go supply the feeder. NOTE: keep in mind if it is Unavailable such as if the area can't be reach the dupes will not do it since it's unreachable this goes for any errands this mainly happens with ladders if you have a space then the ladder going up if you dig the blocks under it then it will be two blocks and for some odd reason dupes can just two blocks but can reach two blocks away ladders so keep this in mind. I hope this help if you ever do come with issues I'd be glad to help you with them have a great day fellow dupes peace.

On 6/22/2020 at 2:37 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Happy Monday everyone! Hope your weekend was great! Here's some more fixes for the Testing Branch:

• Color blind modes improvement (discussion thread):
    • Crop Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Power Overlay now supports alternate color sets, and "Generator" icons are brighter for each mode
    • Rooms Overlay now supports alternate color sets. There are too many colors used in this mode to effectively find excellent colours for each mode, so colors have been chosen to focus on making the most common rooms feel distinct from one another
    • Germ Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Harvest Tool Overlay now supports alternate color sets
  • Light overlay color is more vivid so it matches color choices of other overlays and is easier to read lower light-levels.
  • When hovering a Wire, its current load will only be colored "strained" if its potential load is higher than its max load.
  • Fix Critter Feeder storage errand type to be Ranching Supply instead of Storage
  • Fix meteors depositing regolith on the wrong side of thin walls.
  • Duplicants no longer emit CO2 puffs in to a cell different than the one they were standing in. This prevents them from injecting CO2 into rooms that would be otherwise air-tight/unbreathable.
  • Duplicant breath effects now match the actual mouth position and facing of the Duplicant. No more exhaling from the middle of the back!
  • Skill Scrubber now has a higher priority class, which should help the dupes head there without ignoring it
  • Fixed a bug where items dropped from buildings would not become active if it was a "pickupable" object.
  • Duplicants no longer regain "Mourning" status if there is a dead Duplicant when the game loads.

View full update

I love these changes allowing the game to be played for color blind people is amazing sure it isn't perfect yet but I know they will add more wonderfully great features like this. also know we just got a big update but would at like to know a road map for the year or next month if their isn't one already.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:06 PM, pether said:

Oh yes! PLEASE!

And some other tools from mods (nothing really game breaking) would be nice as well

I can see that but I do it would be pointless to add something you can already get really easily but if they want to add it then great I'm not complaining I mean mods are the easiest thing to do since the code is there all they have to do is get the code and put it into the  game. by no mean I'm a coder so it might me more difficult than that all I'm saying is the code is there and it's not as much work when the code is there already if they can get it.

6 hours ago, compromised_gam said:

ok so basically if you look at the priority's tab and put your mouse on the supply it list all of the supply errands that will do prioritized. so now the feeders are added to the list so if you put it a priority 1 but a generator 9 they will priority the gen but if the feeders are 9 they will first supply them. so in simple terms whatever dupe has their personal priorities to high on supply they will do all supply errands but if you prioritize the feeders to 9 they will first supply the feeders and obviously their urgent priority overrides everything including yellow but not red. the urgent priority is when the dupe needs basic filtering such as using the bathroom eating all of that but once those actions are done they will go supply the feeder. NOTE: keep in mind if it is Unavailable such as if the area can't be reach the dupes will not do it since it's unreachable this goes for any errands this mainly happens with ladders if you have a space then the ladder going up if you dig the blocks under it then it will be two blocks and for some odd reason dupes can just two blocks but can reach two blocks away ladders so keep this in mind. I hope this help if you ever do come with issues I'd be glad to help you with them have a great day fellow dupes peace

Critter feeders generate Ranching/Storing errands. So dedicated ranchers also supply them.

The more I play the more I'm convinced you should have a bunch of idle dups most of the time. Maybe on very low prio hamster wheels if not idle. But still. When you have dups that don't have anything better to do, storing/supply prios are less critical. And, empty errand queues help a lot with fps. Definitely a lot on my PC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMule said:

empty errand queues help a lot with fps

Haha, my errand queues are typically a few hundred. I definitely see lag introduced when I select a duplicant and view the errand list. Which is strange since that list is being updated behind the scenes without lag, but then I get lag when the visual list is displayed. Perhaps Klei should have the visual list only refresh once a second or something to reduce that lag.

Also, do people still notice that all duplicants will perform any outstanding attack errands regardless of priority when you select/view and Errands tab? I recall a bug report on this at some point, but I still see this behavior.

7 hours ago, TheMule said:

The more I play the more I'm convinced you should have a bunch of idle dups most of the time.

Been playing that way for years. I like that this means dupes respond to my request extremely quickly, as they have nothing else to do. One of my first big projects in every base is to setup a hamsterwheel power plant, where I can quickly keep track of who has nothing to do, so I know when my dupes are ready for a big new project. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mathmanican said:

One of my first big projects in every base is to setup a hamsterwheel power plant

Well I must say I'm proud, for I came to the very same conclusion, here's my dup powerplant:
tJoPagA.png

the timer is there to stop them so they can check the queue for updates (green:2s, red:28s). The 'stopping' works like this:
the grid is a switched one, and there are fully loaded batteries on the other side of the power switch (one is visible). The moment the generators are connected to the main grid, dups dismount. 2s later, the main grid is disconnected and the generators activate again.

If the battery is below 98% full, the manual gen power plant is connected to the grid, and dups do contribute to it as long as it's needed. Most of the energy is produced by steam turbines but it is variable (using obsidian boulders as source, I sometimes need to dig out a layer of cold rock to reveal hotter one - when I forget to, power may run a little low).

Now at cycle 1000+ I should really put a door and keep engineers (who have operating/building as prios) away from the gens... they already have 26 machinery and 22 athletics.

Never mind, I just did that. I admit I haven't been looking at it for quite a while...

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 3:40 AM, TheMule said:

The more I play the more I'm convinced you should have a bunch of idle dups most of the time

That's why I SO wish there was a way to designate where idle dupes go.  Like the rec room please.   It's so frustrating when they idle in one of the work areas with low decor.......

• Like 1