Walter's slingshot

Walter has great potential, unused potential in my opinion.
His slingshot is really good for hunting, killing birds, rabbits etc but...

It's awful when it comes to the real fight, especially bosses.
Don't get me wrong, dmg is fine but when it comes to fighting bosses:

• Slingshot is too slow and fight becomes much longer and takes much more resources.
  • Slingshot has poor range and kiting with it is just difficult.
  • You can't cancel the animation and kiting becomes even more difficult.

Summarizing: 

• Slow speed - fight is much longer than usual
  • Poor range and impossibility to cancel animation - extremally hard kiting

I think Walter's slingshot needs these things because now he's more like challenging character.
Yes, of course, he's got a couple of good features but the main one is just bad and can be much better.

1 hour ago, Malithirm said:

For me this is a prime down as well. In fact I stopped playing DS precisely because of the wonky kiting there in relation to DST and the fact I can't access my DST skins inventory. If those 2 would be addressed in future DS updates I would go back to SW, and Hamlet. But as of now is a "neah, am good, ty" case-scenario - likewise for potential future DS DLC.

22 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

For me this is a prime down as well. In fact I stopped playing DS precisely because of the wonky kiting there in relation to DST and the fact I can't access my DST skins inventory. If those 2 would be addressed in future DS updates I would go back to SW, and Hamlet. But as of now is a "neah, am good, ty" case-scenario - likewise for potential future DS DLC.

Spoiler

I’m pretty sure the future of DS DLC is that it’s no longer DS DLC.. and is instead DST DLC. Because like you said- DST is a Superior game, which came out in late 2017 for Xbox, Meanwhile DS Single player has been out since 2013? 

Why can’t the Hamlet & Shipwrecked expansions become compatible with DST? You buy it once- It can be played in Solo DS or DST.

Outside of all the whole “Rebalancing the games DLC’s to better fit Multiplayer..”

People say Shipwrecked and Hamlet doesn’t fit DST.. but WHY?! DST is literally standard DS.. but with functional multiplayer- And then DS got two totally separate expansions that can be purchased and loaded from the main menu screen.

Why exactly can’t DST function the same exact way?

When I play DS Giant Edition I notice how I have the options of toggling Reign Of Giants, Shipwrecked, or Hamlet Saves.. and then can use any character from any of those expansions in any other area of the game.

Im currently playing as Shipwreckeds Walani in a Hamlet world...

And that’s exactly what DST should do, in fact... if Klei started a Kickstarter program to have this exact thing- me and everyone I play DST with would be some of the funding donators on that.

Im done campaigning for this over and over again like a broken record.. but there are existing PC mods that add that content and those remaining playable characters into the game- I’m not asking for Anything that a Mod does not already do....

In the Meantime- I’ll play my Newly released Hamlet DLC (released just last week for Xbox) completely alone, and hope and pray that someday Klei makes these expansions compatible with DST

I have hidden that into a spoiler to avoid forum clutters.

Isn't he meant to be like a support character?

Like, different players will keep attacking the bosses while Walter stays on the backlines attacking with his slingshot, sometimes using the poop bullets + riding woby to allow teammates to heal? That's what I always saw him as, personally.

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:
  Hide contents

-stuff and DS/T on consoles-

Buy a PC lad. PC can play via emulators any Console game. PC is like an open-world while consoles are their own towns. Buy a PC :encouragement:

As for future DS updates, a QoL one addressing proper kiting and animation canceling similar to DST's, perhaps that skin usability via Wardrobe (this would be a great niche way of also advertising further DST and its skin system) plus more wouldn't require a huge amount of work. Other than that.. we will see.

Also: buy a PC! *wink*

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m pretty sure the future of DS DLC is that it’s no longer DS DLC.. and is instead DST DLC. Because like you said- DST is a Superior game, which came out in late 2017 for Xbox, Meanwhile DS Single player has been out since 2013? 

Why can’t the Hamlet & Shipwrecked expansions become compatible with DST? You buy it once- It can be played in Solo DS or DST.

Outside of all the whole “Rebalancing the games DLC’s to better fit Multiplayer..”

People say Shipwrecked and Hamlet doesn’t fit DST.. but WHY?! DST is literally standard DS.. but with functional multiplayer- And then DS got two totally separate expansions that can be purchased and loaded from the main menu screen.

Why exactly can’t DST function the same exact way?

When I play DS Giant Edition I notice how I have the options of toggling Reign Of Giants, Shipwrecked, or Hamlet Saves.. and then can use any character from any of those expansions in any other area of the game.

Im currently playing as Shipwreckeds Walani in a Hamlet world...

And that’s exactly what DST should do, in fact... if Klei started a Kickstarter program to have this exact thing- me and everyone I play DST with would be some of the funding donators on that.

Im done campaigning for this over and over again like a broken record.. but there are existing PC mods that add that content and those remaining playable characters into the game- I’m not asking for Anything that a Mod does not already do....

In the Meantime- I’ll play my Newly released Hamlet DLC (released just last week for Xbox) completely alone, and hope and pray that someday Klei makes these expansions compatible with DST

i'm pretty sure it's already been said WHY there won't be DLCs in the multiplayer game, which is to not split the fanbase to "those who own the dlc" and "those who don't own the DLC", which is honestly a fair thing to do lol

In singleplayer it didn't really matter, but imagine being locked out of 1/3rd of public because you can't pay for DLC? that would suck! The reason that Klei gave a green light for mods like Island Adventures is because they themselves will not be porting the DLC, and anyone with a PC can just play the mods. Playing on console's biggest downside is the lack of mods, but that isn't klei's fault nor are they obligated to port the dlcs to the other game despite what they previously said just because PC has access to it via mods, which not only weren't made by them, but that they already greenlit and they would have to either take down and invalidate all the hard work of the modders (because otherwise the console users would have to pay for stuff that PC gets for free,) or make the expansions into free updates which would then make it so everyone who bought the dlcs for singleplayer to be upset because they can just play it for free with more content in DST, where part of the appeal of buying classic DS now is to play the DLCs exclusive to that. 

I understand your frustrations, but ya gotta think from Klei's point of view :[ this is a very unlikely thing to happen, no matter how much people ask. I don't think saying "buy a PC" is an answer, because i recall you mentioning you can't/don't want to buy one? but if you plan on staying console-only, you will have to make a few sacrifices like this. Everything has it's pros and cons, and the cons of console usage is that modding is very hard. It's what you gotta deal with if you plan on staying a console-only gamer, unfortunely.

49 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Definitly. Would love the wardrobe and daily visit skin drop in single player.

I would love it if they merged all the games into one accessible Don't Starve Launcher that functions the exact same as the Don't Starve Together Launcher, but allowing you to pick which DLC you want from there while also having access to daily drops and skins.

2 hours ago, Malithirm said:

Walter has great potential, unused potential in my opinion.
His slingshot is really good for hunting, killing birds, rabbits etc but...

It's awful when it comes to the real fight, especially bosses.
Don't get me wrong, dmg is fine but when it comes to fighting bosses:

• Slingshot is too slow and fight becomes much longer and takes much more resources.
  • Slingshot has poor range and kiting with it is just difficult.

Summarizing: 

• Slow speed - fight is much longer than usual
  • Poor range and impossibility to cancel animation - extremally hard kiting

I think Walter's slingshot needs these things because now he's more like challenging character.
Yes, of course, he's got a couple of good features but the main one is just bad and can be much better.

Meanwhile 

Maybe make the sling similar to the blowdart

31 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

I would love it if they merged all the games into one accessible Don't Starve Launcher that functions the exact same as the Don't Starve Together Launcher, but allowing you to pick which DLC you want from there while also having access to daily drops and skins.

What I could see possible is that if you own the certain credentials, you get a Don't Starve launcher that let's you click what you want. This only applies to people who bought those games.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

with one marble you deal up to 500 damage without being in danger of get a hit

this could be a good adding 

500 damage may seem pretty good, but when you consider that with 1 dark sword you can deal 6800 damage the slingshot pales for any real fighting activities.

1 living log + 5 nightmare fuel = 6800 damage

13.3 marble = 6783 damage

Now which is easier to obtain, 1 living log and 5 nightmare fuel or 13.3 marble? Not as extreme as I made it out to be but I still think 

Oops never mind I forgot than 1 marble = 10 marble rounds. Ignore the crossed out section, Although I still think the slingshot is just a better boomerang + ice staff replacement in one.

Just now, smallishbird said:

500 damage may seem pretty good, but when you consider that with 1 dark sword you can deal 6800 damage the slingshot pales for any real fighting activities.

1 living log + 5 nightmare fuel = 6800 damage

133 marble = 6783 damage

Now which is easier to obtain, 1 living log and 5 nightmare fuel or 133 marble?

To me it seems like the slingshot is just a better boomerang + ice staff replacement in one.

but who is so silly to use it as a regular weapon? its a support weapon

My biggest gripe at the moment is the slingshots animation. For a character that relies on avoiding damage (for his rather punishing sanity loss) , getting stuck on the spot and taking unavoidable damage is a real problem. It feels so clunky to try and get a shot in only to be rooted to the spot thanks to the animation.

I really like the character. I also really like the slingshot and would love to use it more often from range or to play a support role against larger enemies but I find myself swapping back to a melee weapon because I don't want to deal with how horrible the slingshot feels to use.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

with one marble you deal up to 500 damage without being in danger of get a hit

this could be a good adding 

The issue is unless you have someone tanking for you it's actually safer and faster dps to just use a weapon tho so I don't see how this is a good tradeoff while i do admit it being safe with the slingshot would be OP I feel like there should be some sort of reason to use it over melee in real fights outside of the novelty.

The slingshot is the weapon you start the game with.  Does Willow keep using her lighter after getting a lantern?  No.  Why?  Because its a "start the game" item with a niche use.  The slingshot is not supposed to be an end game weapon.  However the thing is great for clearing tentacles and farming birds.  Build some pigs next to the hound mounds in Dfly desert.  Make blow darts.

The slingshot just needs more range, and maybe a way to cancel the animation. Otherwise it's meant to be slow and wonky.

12 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

However the thing is great for clearing tentacles and farming birds.  Build some pigs next to the hound mounds in Dfly desert.  Make blow darts.

This.

Also you can recruit other mobs to tank for you, like pigs, bunnymen and rock lobsters. You can even reach max friendship time with lobsters just crafting stone pellets or poop pellets, and feeding those to them. Walter is the rock lobsters best friend.

37 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

The slingshot is the weapon you start the game with.  Does Willow keep using her lighter after getting a lantern?  No.  Why?  Because its a "start the game" item with a niche use.  The slingshot is not supposed to be an end game weapon.  However the thing is great for clearing tentacles and farming birds.  Build some pigs next to the hound mounds in Dfly desert.  Make blow darts.

Willow's lighter breaks but it still has it's uses even after lantern it's a high durability torch you can cook with while also being useful for emergency fires just because something is a item you start with doesn't mean it'll have no uses later it'd be like warly getting rid of his crockpot once a standard one is built for base.

That aside based on all the different ammo types that are locked behind every type of crafting machine in the game aside from the sea/fishing based ones it really seems like kiel does indeed expect it to be used into the endgame even if all them aren't super useful. (here's looking at you cursed and slow down rounds)

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Comparing the slingshot to Willow's lighter is a bit strange conidering one is a weapon and one is a tool. When you also include the special slingshot ammo, it can obviously be used as an end game support weapon.

It's so tricky, because ranged combat can completely break the game, but it feels so sluggish coming from Walter.

I wish the status effect ammo was more effective, so it was a much more effective utility tool.

Utility is always more interesting than raw damage in Don't Starve combat.

OK, after some testing with Walter's Slingshot in combat, I've drawn a conclusion about one of its quirks; to quote from the Wiki: "Attacks from the Trusty Slingshot will not draw aggro if the target is fighting something else."

Most of the time your shots will re-aggro the target unless they are "actively being damaged", which means you will always re-aggro your target immediately after they aren't being damaged anymore. I wish this quirk was changed to: "Attacks from the Trusty Slingshot will not draw aggro if the target is already aggroed onto something else." in order to get the most out of it. As it stands, I've never been able to kill a pigman or a merm with said slingshot without getting their attention even when they are aggroed on another enemy .

31 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

OK, after some testing with Walter's Slingshot in combat, I've drawn a conclusion about one of its quirks; to quote from the Wiki: "Attacks from the Trusty Slingshot will not draw aggro if the target is fighting something else."

Most of the time your shots will re-aggro the target unless they are "actively being damaged", which means you will always re-aggro your target immediately after they aren't being damaged anymore. I wish this quirk was changed to: "Attacks from the Trusty Slingshot will not draw aggro if the target is already aggroed onto something else." in order to get the most out of it. As it stands, I've never been able to kill a pigman or a merm with said slingshot without getting their attention even when they are aggroed on another enemy .

That's a bit concerning.  I play solo so I haven't even tried this, but it doesn't sound like its working the way I would expect at all...

6 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

Willow's lighter breaks but it still has it's uses even after lantern it's a high durability torch you can cook with while also being useful for emergency fires just because something is a item you start with doesn't mean it'll have no uses later it'd be like warly getting rid of his crockpot once a standard one is built for base.

That aside based on all the different ammo types that are locked behind every type of crafting machine in the game aside from the sea/fishing based ones it really seems like kiel does indeed expect it to be used into the endgame even if all them aren't super useful. (here's looking at you cursed and slow down rounds)

Sure, it has "uses."  End game I will have a furnace to cook anything I want, or I can just put down a camp fire.  If I'm cooking it means I'm probably cooking a stack of green caps or cactus meat, and I'm not about to waste a lighter on cooking that when I've got a furnace at hand...  Since the crock pot doesn't care, there isn't much other reason to cook...  Why would I waste charges on a lighter when I have infinite durability furnace?

As for it starting fires - so does any torch.  Does that mean torches are end game light sources?  no.  As a person who plays Willow more than any other character the lighter is the first thing I ditch.

Also - there are a lot of things locked behind the various crafting structures that are garbage.  There is no precedence that being locked behind any crafting menu means its worth using lol

4 hours ago, Orangex said:

Comparing the slingshot to Willow's lighter is a bit strange conidering one is a weapon and one is a tool. When you also include the special slingshot ammo, it can obviously be used as an end game support weapon.

Ok, compare it to Wigfrid's battle spear then lol  Same thing.  Starting equipment isn't end game equipment, and as I replied to Mysterious Box above - many things are put behind different crafting restrictions without any correlation to their actual value.

The slingshot animation might be a bug(might be). 

But woby is the key to using the slingshot. The speed boost lets you get enough distance over the other mobs so you can shoot them. 

Aditionaly if you use the slow down rounds,you would be able to land a lot of hits before needing to run away. 

Archived