Walter's slingshot

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Ok, compare it to Wigfrid's battle spear then lol  Same thing.  Starting equipment isn't end game equipment, and as I replied to Mysterious Box above - many things are put behind different crafting restrictions without any correlation to their actual value.

This comparison doesn't really work. You can't upgrade Wigfrid's spear, but you can upgrade Walter's ammunition. The slingshot is supposed to be end game weaponry, that's why you have upgrades like Slow-down rounds and Cursed rounds (especially if you think about how the latter can only be crafted at the Ancient Pseudoscience Station, that's end game stuff...). 

Plus, because Walter is a glass canon (or aspiring to be), if you're planning on not using the slingshot and focus on melee instead then you might as well just pick another character. 

(I think) The idea behind Walter is that he's a character that is supposed to never get hit, which would be achievable as long as the Slingshot was actually functional.

I think the problem is that Walter only really works in one scenario: A multiplayer session with a competent team of players. I can imagine Walter being really fun in a boss battle where you have four people using melee combat, while Walter stands on the sidelines and gives support by shooting from afar. 

11 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m pretty sure the future of DS DLC is that it’s no longer DS DLC.. and is instead DST DLC. Because like you said- DST is a Superior game, which came out in late 2017 for Xbox, Meanwhile DS Single player has been out since 2013? 

Why can’t the Hamlet & Shipwrecked expansions become compatible with DST? You buy it once- It can be played in Solo DS or DST.

Outside of all the whole “Rebalancing the games DLC’s to better fit Multiplayer..”

People say Shipwrecked and Hamlet doesn’t fit DST.. but WHY?! DST is literally standard DS.. but with functional multiplayer- And then DS got two totally separate expansions that can be purchased and loaded from the main menu screen.

Why exactly can’t DST function the same exact way?

When I play DS Giant Edition I notice how I have the options of toggling Reign Of Giants, Shipwrecked, or Hamlet Saves.. and then can use any character from any of those expansions in any other area of the game.

Im currently playing as Shipwreckeds Walani in a Hamlet world...

And that’s exactly what DST should do, in fact... if Klei started a Kickstarter program to have this exact thing- me and everyone I play DST with would be some of the funding donators on that.

Im done campaigning for this over and over again like a broken record.. but there are existing PC mods that add that content and those remaining playable characters into the game- I’m not asking for Anything that a Mod does not already do....

In the Meantime- I’ll play my Newly released Hamlet DLC (released just last week for Xbox) completely alone, and hope and pray that someday Klei makes these expansions compatible with DST

I have hidden that into a spoiler to avoid forum clutters.

If you are gonna start copying and pasting your console rants, I'm gonna start copying and pasting my responses to them.

STOP DERAILING THREADS. 

1 hour ago, Squirrel12 said:

This comparison doesn't really work. You can't upgrade Wigfrid's spear, but you can upgrade Walter's ammunition. The slingshot is supposed to be end game weaponry, that's why you have upgrades like Slow-down rounds and Cursed rounds (especially if you think about how the latter can only be crafted at the Ancient Pseudoscience Station, that's end game stuff...). 

Plus, because Walter is a glass canon (or aspiring to be), if you're planning on not using the slingshot and focus on melee instead then you might as well just pick another character. 

(I think) The idea behind Walter is that he's a character that is supposed to never get hit, which would be achievable as long as the Slingshot was actually functional.

I think the problem is that Walter only really works in one scenario: A multiplayer session with a competent team of players. I can imagine Walter being really fun in a boss battle where you have four people using melee combat, while Walter stands on the sidelines and gives support by shooting from afar. 

Just because you can make other ammo doesn't mean it is supposed to be "end game," or even good.  Its niche useful and that's all it needs to be because (and sorry I seem fixated on this but) we already have a super powerful ranged weapon!  Blowdarts are crazy powerful, giving you all the cannon your glass cannon could ever want.  Just load your slingshot with slowdown or poop rounds and switch between the slingshot and a blowdart stack and live out your endless kiting fantasies~!  The damage rounds can be used for butterflies, birds, shadow monsters, werepigs, bunnies, hounds, tentacles, cookie cutters, boat farming spiders / beef, ect.  Its damage is great for all of these.

Walter is uniquely suited to farm blowdarts too.  He can easily farm the birds and tentacles to make a feather hat.  Clear tentacles for access to reeds.  And farm blue birds throughout winter as he runs around.  The only thing he might struggle with is hounds teeth, but there are a number of ways to set up very safe farms for hounds even without exploiting Vargs depending on your dfly desert set up, and with his ranged ammo he could easily run a varg farm with like half the setup as any other character.

8 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Just because you can make other ammo doesn't mean it is supposed to be "end game," or even good.  

Well than that raises the question of why there is "end-game" ammo for a weapon that shouldn't be used for "end-game" situations. You can't tell me that the shadow tentacles from Cursed rounds are meant to be used on bunnymen? They are meant for bosses. 

Like I mentioned before, the slingshot is great for end-game situations if you are part of a large team. Shadow tentacles, freezing, slowing down and shooting marbles from afar can really help other players when fighting bosses.

It's not viable though when you are solo or a small team, which is the problem...

11 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Just load your slingshot with slowdown or poop rounds and switch between the slingshot and a blowdart stack and live out your endless kiting fantasies~!  The damage rounds can be used for butterflies, birds, shadow monsters, werepigs, bunnies, hounds, tentacles, cookie cutters, boat farming spiders / beef, ect.  Its damage is great for all of these.

Walter is uniquely suited to farm blowdarts too.  He can easily farm the birds and tentacles to make a feather hat.  Clear tentacles for access to reeds.  And farm blue birds throughout winter as he runs around.  The only thing he might struggle with is hounds teeth, but there are a number of ways to set up very safe farms for hounds even without exploiting Vargs depending on your dfly desert set up, and with his ranged ammo he could easily run a varg farm with like half the setup as any other character.

This is interesting.

Personally, I thought the entire point of Walter was so that you didn't have to craft blowdarts, because they are such a pain in the ass to craft. However, what you are suggesting here is fair. Not something I'd like to practice myself, but there you go. 

23 minutes ago, Squirrel12 said:

Personally, I thought the entire point of Walter was so that you didn't have to craft blowdarts, because they are such a pain in the ass to craft. However, what you are suggesting here is fair. Not something I'd like to practice myself, but there you go. 

Well if you want a quick and high damage range weapon, blow darts do the job. They are grindy because are OP. If walters weapon was better than blow darts then it will be op as ****.

Already is good but not for main weapon, is to do extra damage from distance, crowd controll or killing things that you dont want to kite like tentacles, rooks or beequeen

Ya know, talking about this makes me wanna play Walter + Wicker and force a reed trap.  We could actually clear it and get tons of reeds for blowdarts and books.  The slingshot is so great at fighting shadow creatures that Wicker could easily focus on reading and harvesting.  You'd probably get a good pile of nightmare fuel while you're at it.  Maybe a Wurt too since she can be very tanky, and can put the spots to use building a merm army.  I think I have a new character group to try out when I play with my buddies next!  Swamp base here we come lol

4 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

The slingshot is supposed to be end game weaponry

It's kinda far from being some nice end game weaponry and feels more like just a tool which allows Walter to taunt enemies or anything while riding on his Woby, but its low damage per second and the high cost make it a pretty bad weapon against mobs or bosses.

I know it'd be hard but I feel like how the game handles ranged combat needs to be changed in general while I never really used ranged combat much at all before Walter he really highlights how much this game wasn't designed to handle it notable examples include turkeys just letting you shoot them to death simply because you didn't come close and another more major example is that if you keep attacking and kitting a enemy who is targetting you it'll lose aggro despite you attacking for some reason.

Archived