Issue with Walter's storytelling...

Multiple players can tell a story at a single campfire and it's so chaotic! Apart from it destroying your ears, as multiple Walters scream the same story out of synch, it also makes the camera freak out.

image.thumb.png.7dae5035a82ad0d77fff921fcad042ab.png 

image.thumb.png.683191e80115450a271a87099478fca3.png

I think a solution would be to update it so that only ONE Walter can tell stories at a campfire? 

Obviously this won't be as much of a problem when the Walter hype dies down and everyone goes back to using their mains, but even when just two or three Walters are telling a story at the same time, it doesn't really have the charming vibe I think Klei was hoping for.

“Once upon a time I was walking through the woods.. and I found a crashed alien spacecraft, being the brave little scout that I Am I investigated further, the door letting out a pulsing ominous green glow and a weird Whhhrrrrrr sound. I open the door and inside I see a weird chamber pod so I step inside, either out of bravery or stupidity or maybe a mix of both.. the door closes and starts to copy me!!! Clones Clones EVERYWHERE, they are all out there, all telling the same Campfire stories, MY Campfire stories!! And I think.. I think- Maybe a handful of them are plotting against me to use a ray gun, eviscerating the Real Me and taking my place.

plot twist: How are you to know if that hasn’t already happened? (menacing laughter)

19 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Just remove that feature, why did they actually implement this? It feels too much like a modded feature.

It’s one of the better ways to easily restore his sanity, so it’s not just a one off Gimmick.. it actually has a Purpose- I suppose though that It’s incredibly less useful if you already got a Wendy with a Sisturn.

I think overall it’s just there to add personality to his Character, he Likes to chill at Campfires and tell spooky stories.

The only thing I could think of that would be a decent replacement is if when near a campfire he busted out a hotdog/Marshmellow on a stick and cooked it over the fire. 

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s one of the better ways to easily restore his sanity, so it’s not just a one off Gimmick.. it actually has a Purpose- I suppose though that It’s incredibly less useful if you already got a Wendy with a Sisturn.

I think overall it’s just there to add personality to his Character, he Likes to chill at Campfires and tell spooky stories.

The only thing I could think of that would be a decent replacement is if when near a campfire he busted out a hotdog/Marshmellow on a stick and cooked it over the fire. 

Theres no downside to it, its free insane sanity restoration at night.

Sanity is already a joke in Vanilla, and he already has a portable tent, why does he also need to have a completely free, super powerful sanity restoring ability at night?

Klei should just ditch the sanity restoration, or lower it dramatically, or make it cost hunger over time.

9 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Klei should just ditch the sanity restoration, or lower it dramatically, or make it cost hunger over time.

Seconded, I like the idea of making his storytelling cost hunger over time. It'd feel more like a full character perk that way.
You could heal yours and everyone else's sanity at night at the cost of your own hunger. (Currently the storytelling is insanely broken in Lights Out mode anyway.)

I think this problem will get solved automatically over time, as not everybody will always play Walter and even if they will be 2 or 3 Walters on a server, not everyone will be every night at camp or doing the storytelling at night. People are just hyped, because he got just released, and are making fun of this situation having so much Walters at a camp.

(sorry, I was one of the Walters on the top screenshot doing the storytelling :D)

2 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Theres no downside to it, its free insane sanity restoration at night.

Sanity is already a joke in Vanilla, and he already has a portable tent, why does he also need to have a completely free, super powerful sanity restoring ability at night?

Why do you want this games playable cast of characters to be incredibly hard and frustrating for new comers to the franchise to pick up and enjoy?? -sad face emote-

Dude like seriously there should be Dedicated Hardcore MODES for all the stuff your asking for. Characters shouldn’t have to have so many “Harsh Crippling Downsides..” 

Its the exact same thing as a Wendy Player building a Sisturn and putting four flower petals into it and forgetting Sanity was ever even a thing.

Characters having extreme downsides does not make the game anymore fun for a new player to pick up and learn- All that does is severely cripple and limit the actual character choice they CAN SELECT.

And in a game that mostly makes ALL of its profit off people buying cosmetics, Limiting the choices in the characters said people can play is only in the long-term, Crippling and Limiting the potential skin sales Klei could be making off that character if only Klei made them more accessible to them.

I know I can speak from personal experience that a Character I find too frustrating or just plain boring to play as will get Zero skin purchases from My end.

And sure you can respond with all the confused reacts in the world but.. deep down inside you feel it too dontcha? And You KNOW I’m right.. you don’t have to second guess that assumption.

The TL:DR- A separate mode with -Insert Crippling Downsides here- So, Yes.. yeah I fully expect to see characters like Maxwell & Wes to become A little easier to pick up & play for Casuals.. why?

Because a Separate mode for those who are seeking those “crippling character downsides..” Should exist.

Any other choice- And you severely limit the skins people choose to buy.

56 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why do you want this games playable cast of characters to be incredibly hard and frustrating for new comers to the franchise to pick up and enjoy?? -sad face emote-

Characters shouldn’t have to have so many “Harsh Crippling Downsides..” 

Its the exact same thing as a Wendy Player building a Sisturn and putting four flower petals into it and forgetting Sanity was ever even a thing.

Characters having extreme downsides does not make the game anymore fun for a new player to pick up and learn- All that does is severely cripple and limit the actual character choice they CAN SELECT.

The Sisturn has some cost to it though. You need to put petals in it. Those petals spoil. You also need to create the Sisturn to begin with. It's a minimal cost but still a cost. Making it so telling a campfire story for sanity having a penalty is NOWHERE near a "Harsh Crippling Downside". It would just put some thought into telling a story or not which isn't a bad thing. Walter would still be just as playable if he didn't have his story telling.

they should take turns storytelling one walter his part of the story then the other one his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then. . .

1 hour ago, --- -.- said:

they should take turns storytelling one walter his part of the story then the other one his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then the other one says his part then. . .

Willow gets really bored and throws a large tree branch into the campfire that accidentally spreads into the forest and then all the Walters Stop telling stories and then rush to put out the forest fires? :D 

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Dude like seriously there should be Dedicated Hardcore MODES for all the stuff your asking for. Characters shouldn’t have to have so many “Harsh Crippling Downsides..” 

And in a game that mostly makes ALL of its profit off people buying cosmetics, Limiting the choices in the characters said people can play is only in the long-term, Crippling and Limiting the potential skin sales Klei could be making off that character if only Klei made them more accessible to them.

I know I can speak from personal experience that a Character I find too frustrating or just plain boring to play as will get Zero skin purchases from My end.

And sure you can respond with all the confused reacts in the world but.. deep down inside you feel it too dontcha? And You KNOW I’m right.. you don’t have to second guess that assumption.

The TL:DR- A separate mode with -Insert Crippling Downsides here- So, Yes.. yeah I fully expect to see characters like Maxwell & Wes to become A little easier to pick up & play for Casuals.. why?

Because a Separate mode for those who are seeking those “crippling character downsides..” Should exist.

Any other choice- And you severely limit the skins people choose to buy.

...Then don't play the character?

I could easily say the same things but for characters I don't find challenging.

Though I haven't played walter this really does seem like a significant cause for concern in terms of balance. Nerfs must be applied at least.

Plus thematically, why grant the ability to restore sanity specifically by storytelling over a firepit to the boy scout when technically everyone can do it? I mean, hasn't Wickerbottom done this in The Monster Marsh

1 hour ago, Ogrecakes said:

...Then don't play the character?

I could easily say the same things but for characters I don't find challenging.

Again I will ask you Why should that be the ONLY option? How exactly does that help Klei to sale their skins and belonging sets?

Your playing on a PC right? If you don’t like something oh that’s okay you can just use a mod and make it exactly the way you want it, you don’t like the games cast of playable characters? Use your own modded one! But for people playing on PS4 and Xbox they are in a very, very different boat than you...

they have to FIRST spend money on Bolts of Cloth to Obtain Bolts, and then they have to use said Bolts on the skins In the shop that they want.. Skins..  that are only limited by how complicated a character is for them to play as.

I’m just gonna say it- I can’t play Warly for crap.. I don’t know any of his food recipes, he dies often and he has absolutely nothing going for him (Maybe If I could use his Cookingpot Tangled Style as an Effective Melee weapon?) that makes his playstyle something I care for.. He just builds some food kit items, stands around cooking foods all day- Great if your into that... not so great if you just like the characters looks and want to play as him/her because he/she might have a cool skin set. 

I will NEVER buy a Warly Skin Set in his current form, he’s just hasn’t got a playstyle for something I want or care to play with.. 

Im using my own personal disliking of a character to showcase how & why making them have crippling downsides or just plain be frustrating/boring to play as only limits the amount of profit Klei can make off of them.

Downsides can add personality and more complex gameplay to the game, but that should be entirely optional for those who WANT it.

The TL:DR- there needs to be a mode for casual play, and a mode for more experienced play (or better yet a personal toggle) so YOU personally can choose if you want that additional challenge or not.

Because that allows New players, and Expert players to enjoy the exact same character in their own special little way.

When you can truly justify why I can’t just play as A generic no special skill or downsides current version type of Wilson, but with Warly’s look, design & skins...

Then I might start listening to your “just don’t play as that character” Statements.

People saying sitting on a campfire has no downside when you're just wasting time sitting there at the end of the day. Let casuals have some fun ffs.I doubt that many Willow players, besides casuals, would be sitting on campfire just for sanity, it's a very slow form of sanity regen same applies to Walter after the new experience dies off.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Again I will ask you Why should that be the ONLY option? How exactly does that help Klei to sale their skins and belonging sets?

Your playing on a PC right? If you don’t like something oh that’s okay you can just use a mod and make it exactly the way you want it, you don’t like the games cast of playable characters? Use your own modded one! But for people playing on PS4 and Xbox they are in a very, very different boat than you...

they have to FIRST spend money on Bolts of Cloth to Obtain Bolts, and then they have to use said Bolts on the skins In the shop that they want.. Skins..  that are only limited by how complicated a character is for them to play as.

I’m just gonna say it- I can’t play Warly for crap.. I don’t know any of his food recipes, he dies often and he has absolutely nothing going for him (Maybe If I could use his Cookingpot Tangled Style as an Effective Melee weapon?) that makes his playstyle something I care for.. He just builds some food kit items, stands around cooking foods all day- Great if your into that... not so great if you just like the characters looks and want to play as him/her because he/she might have a cool skin set. 

I will NEVER buy a Warly Skin Set in his current form, he’s just hasn’t got a playstyle for something I want or care to play with.. 

Im using my own personal disliking of a character to showcase how & why making them have crippling downsides or just plain be frustrating/boring to play as only limits the amount of profit Klei can make off of them.

Downsides can add personality and more complex gameplay to the game, but that should be entirely optional for those who WANT it.

The TL:DR- there needs to be a mode for casual play, and a mode for more experienced play (or better yet a personal toggle) so YOU personally can choose if you want that additional challenge or not.

Because that allows New players, and Expert players to enjoy the exact same character in their own special little way.

When you can truly justify why I can’t just play as A generic no special skill or downsides current version type of Wilson, but with Warly’s look, design & skins...

Then I might start listening to your “just don’t play as that character” Statements.

People like this, and ideals like this is the reason Uncompromising Mode was made.

Complaining about difficulty, and using skin sales as a reason characters should be easy, god help me.

Uncompromising Mode is a harder more uncompromising version of the game for people who are very experienced with the game and know every characters ins and outs.. while the current version of Uncompromising Mode is only a player created Mod.. I am pretty sure Klei has their own plans for what THEY feel like an Uncompromising Mode should be.

Just because I want the game to be easier and more accessible to Casuals does not in any way shape or form mean that I want the ENTIRE Game to become easier, there needs to be dedicated options to making the game as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

When I’m playing with my noob friends do you honestly think they need my additional crazy server options of stuff like lights out or Winter 24/7? No they do not...

But that’s the beauty behind DST that you are mostly failing to see- This game can be fun and enjoyable for both types of gamers without one feeling overlooked for the other.

I speak from personal experience as someone who has to constantly Amp Up and also Tone Down my worlds difficulty curve based solely upon WHO I’m playing the game with at that time...

Klei see’s this Information and they know where to go with it from there.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Uncompromising Mode is a harder more uncompromising version of the game for people who are very experienced with the game and know every characters ins and outs.. while the current version of Uncompromising Mode is only a player created Mod.. I am pretty sure Klei has their own plans for what THEY feel like an Uncompromising Mode should be.

Just because I want the game to be easier and more accessible to Casuals does not in any way shape or form mean that I want the ENTIRE Game to become easier, there needs to be dedicated options to making the game as easy or as hard as you want it to be.

When I’m playing with my noob friends do you honestly think they need my additional crazy server options of stuff like lights out or Winter 24/7? No they do not...

But that’s the beauty behind DST that you are mostly failing to see- This game can be fun and enjoyable for both types of gamers without one feeling overlooked for the other.

I speak from personal experience as someone who has to constantly Amp Up and also Tone Down my worlds difficulty curve based solely upon WHO I’m playing the game with at that time...

Klei see’s this Information and they know where to go with it from there.

Klei opened the doors to a casual market and now they are the majority, and what was once a hardcore permadeath survival is now a casual party game.

Theres no beauty in sabotaging the games origins just to appeal to people who never cared about the game before, especially when they are constantly pandered to, and the original fans of the game arent getting anything.

Except for a broken, buggy, unfinished, unfocused, abandoned mess like Hamlet, which still tried to cast a huge, thin net towards casual mega basers (and failed, of course).

23 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Klei opened the doors to a casual market and now they are the majority, and what was once a hardcore permadeath survival is now a casual party game.

Are we completely sure the majority weren't already casuals even before Don't Starve Together or you have some data backing it up?

You would be correct in casual players being the majority of ANY Games fanbase (dude I main Wraith in Apex Legends okay? I know what a bunch of noobs crying for nerfs can do to your favorite thing..) 

But see here’s the differences between Apex and DST- The changes they make to Apex is something I’m stuck with until they realize the horrible mistake they’ve made and revert it (if they ever do) but the changes they make in DST are completely OPTIONAL and up to YOU the player.

I don’t really know how to relay what I’m trying to say here: The best most recent example I can give is State of Decay 2. there is a WORLD of Differences between Normal & Nightmare difficulty. But it makes the game playable and enjoyable both for casuals, and that brutally hardcore fanbase who wants to feel more challenged.

Uncompromising Mode is currently only a player created Mod, but I’m also sure that Klei knows how to make their game plenty uncompromising in a mode dedicated specifically to people actively seeking that added difficulty out. (SoD2’s differences between Normal & Nightmare Mode)

Just look at using this as an example- until Mays QoL update, Console players DID NOT have the option to host truly random weather seasons with truly random season lengths.. they all had a very predictable start on/end on date.

This one minor update lead me to deleting ALL of my world saves just so they can all have that unpredictable random weather challenge applied to them.  And I haven’t regretted making that sacrifice yet. :) 

If you want to go even further back then that- Console players Spider Nests used to never upgrade past Tier 3 spider Dens.. only preset areas could become a Spider Queen, when Klei uncovered how easy we had it on consoles.. they made a change that now ANY Tier 3 Spider Den left unmaintained can become a Spider Queen.

Im also pretty sure that when Klei heard console players were leaving render distance when Meteor showers started falling to save their base placed in a Meteor area from being destroyed.. that they updated the game so that even when you leave the area Meteors can still wreck your base.

The TL:DR- your PC game to YOU seems to be getting Easier, meanwhile over on consoles either due to our systems limits or the outdated way things worked..  We actually DID have it Easier, but now it’s admit-ably getting harder for console players.

And despite all those facts- I would STILL like an uncompromising mode where food & sleep doesn’t heal, there’s no mini map, Enemies have new found hazards like Venomous bites on Spider Warriors. Etc..

...going back on topic, a sisturn restores more sanity than Walter telling stories, and can be used during the day. Additionally, telling stories by the campfire means Walter isn’t doing anything else, such as chasing nightmare hands away, restocking the fire, or making preparations for the next day.

I do think the noise needs to be lowered when he’s telling stories, but I think the mechanic is fine as is.

Archived