Trash Sailors looks like what DST's Boating Experience Could Have Been.

Not gonna write a long post. A while back, I wrote about how DST's boat combat is disappointing (attached below) . Today, I saw this trailer and just thought "THIS IS WHAT DST BOATS SHOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE": Canons, grapple hooks, boat repairing, ACTUAL TEAM WORK IN MANAGING A BOAT IN A MULTIPLAYER GAME. 

Looks like a lot of funny equipments and stuff DST could be using as you mention, all these things would do nicely to give players more interactions with the ocean but only if the sea grows in interest as well, redundant topic on the forums... we're really looking for more sea-content in density and variety (biomes, monsters...), the game you showcased include some cool things like sort of pirate attacks, waves and very wacky weather.

I wouldn't mind having some random events like this in DST. :)

1 minute ago, ADM said:

Looks like a lot of funny equipments and stuff DST could be using as you mention, all these things would do nicely to give players more interactions with the ocean but only if the sea grows in interest as well, redundant topic on the forums... we're really looking for more sea-content in density and variety (biomes, monsters...), the game you showcased include some cool things like sort of pirate attacks, waves and very wacky weather.

PIRATE PIGS!

29 minutes ago, ADM said:

Random Suggestions:

- They could add new seasonal bosses in the oceans. So for example, if you're on Day 30, your boat gets attacked by some sort of "winter themed" sea monster. 

- Pirates would be amazing. Like I've said before, I would love to see boat vs. boat combat. Not just with canons, but also with like jumping onto enemies boats. Haunted pirate ships with skeleton crews could be cool. 

- More small mobs. Things like Stink Rays from Shipwrecked. 

- Integrating land mobs into the ocean. For example, Pengulls could be found swimming in the oceans during Spring, Summer and Autumn.  

- Unique sea Shadow Monsters when you're Insane.  

Oh my god, this looks so amazing compared to the slow drifting cookie platform we have now. This looks like everything Don't Starve Together's boating system could've been. More co-operative boating on nice, big platforms, and most importantly, tons of stuff in the ocean to fish up/reel in, explore, etc. :wilson_curious:

Can't remember the last time I went out to sea in DST, if I'm honest.

I still surprised that certain things from Shipwreck did not make it's way over into DS:T.  However I know the devs don't simply want to cut and paste content, or they will be called out for it.  Plus there are few people who thought Shipwreck was too easy (same with Hamlet).  However I heavily disagree with with the latter mindset, since there will always be a plateau of difficulty (in any game).  Anyhow I think we are eventually going to get certain things back, but it's slowly going to evolve and repurpose for DS:T.

3 hours ago, Sindex said:

I still surprised that certain things from Shipwreck did not make it's way over into DS:T.  However I know the devs don't simply want to cut and paste content, or they will be called out for it.  Plus there are few people who thought Shipwreck was too easy (same with Hamlet).  However I heavily disagree with with the latter mindset, since there will always be a plateau of difficulty (in any game).  Anyhow I think we are eventually going to get certain things back, but it's slowly going to evolve and repurpose for DS:T.

I don't think people would mind at all some copy and pasting from Shipwrecked... In fact we already got Wobsters and Surf 'n' Turf.

I absolutely love Shipwrecked (whoever said it was too easy were out of their minds), and the biggest thing that could be borrowed from it is, well, islands. More than mobs and aesthetic, what truly makes sailing a joyful experience is stumbling upon new land and being able to check it out for whatever reason. Other than the Lunar Islands, having lots of islands scattered throughout the ocean, even if with simplistic or standard biomes, would be fantastic.

I love the sailing, islandy, "vibe" so much I would be pretty excited if they made a DST game mode centered around it by changing nothing other than turning the main continent into several islands + making boats easier to make at the early game.

6 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

PIRATE PIGS

forgot to respond to this but this would be awesome.

There was/is an unused component in the game called the "boatai" component. It had/has very rough code but it seemed like the intended use of it was to make boats and ships with the component to find other boats. Perhaps a pirate ship with enemies on it were or are planned to sail the ocean at some point looking for players to invade, that would be awesome.

59 minutes ago, Dunk Mujunk said:

I'm still wondering what extending the plank is going to be for. As of right now it's just in the way.

In my understanding is for when you're dying of hunger or cold and have nothing in the boat that can save you, so you can jump into the sea and get sent to the florid postern.

6 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

There's even a gameplay teaser, it looks amazing.

And yes many of these things would be glorious on DST, we need to pick ideas from this game:

There's a mod that creates a kinda spotlight like this for boats.

2 hours ago, bagherthegamer said:

I am sure that klei wont disappoint us with the future RoT updates im sure of that!! 

But cool vid not gonna lie. 

She Sells Sea Shells was one of the most disappointing updates of all time though...

8 hours ago, Hornete said:

forgot to respond to this but this would be awesome.

There was/is an unused component in the game called the "boatai" component. It had/has very rough code but it seemed like the intended use of it was to make boats and ships with the component to find other boats. Perhaps a pirate ship with enemies on it were or are planned to sail the ocean at some point looking for players to invade, that would be awesome.

I forget about that entity  i though it will be crab king but when he was release i just delete it from my mind xd

The mechanic sound fun and i expect that they will include mobs or pirate like enemies with that

I don't really have anything against the boating mechanics in DST. They are challenging for the frist, second, and third time. I often forget about something or do some stupid mistake. Managing the boat is fun, but yeah - it can be done in 1 person. Obviously, you'd need more sea biomes for sailing to be actually desirable beyond get me to the islands or to the salt formations. The sea is still very empty. But the sea is getting more interesting with each update. That being said, the trash sailors really does seem much more multiplayer-driven and much more fun - something DST could definitely take inspirations from.

One of the main ideas I think we can quickly export from this video into DST is an entirely new marine biome, with resources, mobs, plants and things to do, but that is entirely flooded and therefore, can only be access / harvested / lived at while on a boat.

It's sort of expanding in complexity and size, what already exists as the small salt patches "biomes". It could look like an entirely new island, like moon island, but where there is no dry land you can step on.

16 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

One of the main ideas I think we can quickly export from this video into DST is an entirely new marine biome, with resources, mobs, plants and things to do, but that is entirely flooded and therefore, can only be access / harvested / lived at while on a boat.

It's sort of expanding in complexity and size, what already exists as the small salt patches "biomes". It could look like an entirely new island, like moon island, but where there is no dry land you can step on.

So sea stacks, all these rocks, are maybe temporary things. They will be replaced by... something else. It was clearly to fill the empty space.

5 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

She Sells Sea Shells was one of the most disappointing updates of all time though...

Well, the first npc's island doesn't have to be seen as the most disappointing thing of all time. It's an interesting first shot. It leads to more.

YEAH! Klei should design such boat mechanics 

to be honest, it is harrassing to build structures on boat that are really important in long journey

those structure could be either path block, vision block when you want to control steering wheel, anchor, mast

the camera vision should be tuned angle like the one in video for better boat control

at early game, the boat science can only make a 4-space empty boat

image.png.a1940df91530f516708151dee78ec557.png

just remove mast, anchor, steerling wheel recipe from boat science

instead like how one upgrade Pearl's house, click build on the certain area

pop out a menu and show that the materials of the mast/steerling wheel/anchor need

image.png.8eed2ffa431506a101601716bd23138c.png

at building mast, player can select skin

or clicking red arrow key to switch to winged mast

Spoiler

image.png.ee0598356e53a357b2fd2ea37a395ab1.png

then for the number 1~4 square, player can build any structure on it, but only one structure for each position in center

of cuz, only 4 space is definitely not enough to support long journey on the sea

and then, player may unlock new boat technology after certain sailing experience on the sea

unlike the usual way, build a science station and immediately access to all science tier

player has to sail on the sea, read message in bottle

if player haven't unlock technology, location of the sunken boat in map will be first revealed

at second time reading, Pearl will be revealed

bring a papyrus&feather pencil and investigate sunk boat techonology

player will turn papyrus&feather pencil into advanced boat's blueprint

after learning, the player may link two 4-space boat into 8-space boat with specify new material can be found on the sea

however, only the center 4-space boat can be linked, so a single biggest boat is 9x4-space boat

Spoiler

image.png.4b18e1759fa1fb9ebf8d440c3a078d69.png

each linked boat should slow down entire boat's speed by 5%

each of released mast slow down entire steerling wheel's turning speed

the more masts released, one controlling a steerling wheel gonna barely turn the direction

then multiple players can have multiple steerling wheel to speed up rotating speed

now the rotate direction will be conflict depend on different players' control

let's set the center one must have the steerling wheel and decide the final direction

for each extra player controling non-center steering wheel, he may speed up the mast rotation

a simple example art of for linked boat

Spoiler

image.png.acfdf75f803c21d6dd1777290d923894.png

As of right now I feel like boating is a little to "safe." What I mean is that boating isn't as unsafe and dangerous as I think it should be. I'm still waiting for Cookie Cutter wave attacks, Antlion whirlpools, and a crew of pirates, stalking you with their spyglass.

3 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

As of right now I feel like boating is a little to "safe." What I mean is that boating isn't as unsafe and dangerous as I think it should be. I'm still waiting for Cookie Cutter wave attacks, Antlion whirlpools, and a crew of pirates, stalking you with their spyglass.

Cookie cutters waves is a good idea, but it seems they're attached to their biome. 

The thing is, could it be possible to deal with both attacks and sinkholes ? If we could have pirate pigs attacks, what kind of fight do you want ? Attacks on the character only ? Or on boat too ? In my opinion, the boat is too fragile for now. If we could make it stronger as many said, with marble for example, it would be something. 

But then, distance fight ? So we need a sort of canon, even if we could find weird forms for that.

The actual boat is already too small. Unless they give us a complete set of specific items for boat only. Special light and not that big firepit, a special cooking station, fridge, chest why not or space UNDER the boat for items. So many things I guess.

For whirlpools, it's a good idea too, but what kind of effect do you expect ? Few sinkholes ? 

18 minutes ago, Moonatik said:

The actual boat is already too small. Unless they give us a complete set of specific items for boat only. Special light and not that big firepit, a special cooking station, fridge, chest why not or space UNDER the boat for items. So many things I guess.

This is a major problem. The boats are small, and they keep adding new structures to it that have really limited use (The Tackle Receptacle is one of my most hated structures in the game).

A dream I have, is that they add an inside cabin to the boats, similar to Hamlet...

9 Essential Tips For Playing Don't Starve: Hamlet | Screen Rant

But I feel like, more realistically, the best thing to do would be to have multiple boats for different purposes. Some for exploring, others for combat. Because even right now, if you want to have a boat that can survive a whole year, it's a nightmare...You can do it, but you'll have so many structures that your boat becomes overstuffed, crowded and overall unpleasant. 

Personally I want boats to look more like this.. 483D66CB-20C7-4D25-B3E1-E34BFB72E813.jpeg.53f7ef2d5514ebc189a10add778c6932.jpeg

My Image is pretty crappy- I know I’m not the Best Artist on the Planet, (and the boat itself is an image I burrowed off the Internet) but Basically..

Your Boat Structures will hang on the sides and edges of your boat, Meanwhile that other Thing.. (the round thing we’re calling a boat that’s actually more of a River Raft) can Become a Water Platform that allows you to build your base out at Sea.

The Smaller boats would only support basic boating structures, Mast, Wheel, Anchor, Boat light, Fishing Bin, Tackle Box as shown in the image above..

Meanwhile things like the Pinchin Winch & being able to place campfires, fridges, Tents Etc.. would be reserved for that larger slower moving Boat Cookie base platform.

This game However you are showing here reminds me of that cartoon Flapjack. Haha

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Personally I want boats to look more like this.. 483D66CB-20C7-4D25-B3E1-E34BFB72E813.jpeg.53f7ef2d5514ebc189a10add778c6932.jpeg

My Image is pretty crappy- I know I’m not the Best Artist on the Planet, (and the boat itself is an image I burrowed off the Internet) but Basically..

Your Boat Structures will hang on the sides and edges of your boat, Meanwhile that other Thing.. (the round thing we’re calling a boat that’s actually more of a River Raft) can Become a Water Platform that allows you to build your base out at Sea.

The Smaller boats would only support basic boating structures, Mast, Wheel, Anchor, Boat light, Fishing Bin, Tackle Box as shown in the image above..

Meanwhile things like the Pinchin Winch & being able to place campfires, fridges, Tents Etc.. would be reserved for that larger slower moving Boat Cookie base platform.

This game However you are showing here reminds me of that cartoon Flapjack. Haha

No

Archived