Question to the community about holiday events

I advise to read the thread before answering  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you mind when Klei doesn't add much to the holiday events?

• Yes. Every year should be different from the last
    • No. A small addition every year is fine.
    • I don't like holiday events
    • I don't really care

Hello, new thread.

Holiday events like Hallowed Nights and Winter's Feast Eve are pretty cool even tho limited. They're somewhat wasteful of Klei's time and resources but that's not always the case. Sometimes an event doesn't receive much. For example 2019 Hallowed Nights only got a new elixir- the lunar experiment.

And I was wondering if you guys mind when Klei doesn't add much. Because I mean, the holiday events are already pretty well made so I don't think that Klei needs to spend a lot of time and resources on them anymore. After all efforts that aren't 'wasted' on holiday events can go to permanent updates or character reworks

I dont mind that events like halloween and wintersfeast is the same. i did enjoy the new "holiday cheer" they made and lunar experiment. but it mostly should stay the same and since klei is keeping us in the line with the animal years from the chinese calender: in my opinion, i'd say im fine with how the events are atm.

Events are Wintersfeast, Hallowed Nights, Year of (Animal) Gorge, & Forge right?

lol dude- I’m not sure how big Klei is as a whole.. but that’s only 5 seasonal events- and of those 5... Gorge and Forge don’t even run on a yearly basis so we’re cut down to Three events in a full 365 day calendar year, I would say that Defiantly Is not enough to quote “Waste resources better spent elsewhere.” 

Klei literally has it made as a company because they don’t even have to reach deadlines to get content released in time, imagine if they were something like (insert MMO game here) Warframe, Apex Legends Etc... not only do these games have to get constant updates.. but they also can’t miss their deadlines to get their updates out. I throughly enjoyed the Halloween event in Apex Legends.. the one where when you died you joined the Legion of Undead to kill the other legends as a Zombie- So much so that I would start a match and immediately nose dive into the ocean to be a zombie as soon as possible.

There is MORE that Klei can do to make Holiday events feel more like well Holiday events.. here’s a cool mod right here actually- Why isn’t something like THIS in the game every Hollowed Nights? Why isn’t the Time of day Reversed?? Meaning dead of night would be the longest time of the day, while mornings will be shortest, and EVERY NIGHT is a Full Moon.. In an event based off things that go bump in the night.. I just think it makes sense that Ghosts and Werewolves should dominate the Constant (but sadly.. they’re tied to full moons only)

416AC1A6-6556-425C-BA9C-E134309D0AE0.gif.1548c6a92e5e7f1a63a217f75d32a5f9.gif

But here’s the Mod- An actual HAUNTED House.

Events should always offer up something new be that skins or new gameplay.. but the thing is- something from those events has to remain after the event ends. Look at Apex Legends as an example- not only did its “Play as a Zombie” feature become permanently part of playing as the character Revenant.. But even as far as the new season 5 that just launched this month the Story Mode acknowledges that Pathfinders trip into that “Holiday Realm” is Actually Canon to the games overall plot. That to me is One cool as heck tie-in..

But here’s the TL:DR- as long as I can toggle an event ON in Dont Starve Together regardless of what time of year it actually is... then that to ME also still equally qualifies as Permanent game content. 
It may not be content that You want to play.. but it’s content that I want to play, and Klei is trying to make everyone happy :)  The only time I feel like it’s a waste of time is when it’s only in the game for a few weeks and then pulled leaving you little time to actually enjoy it.

(you can go right now and turn on Year of Carrat, Hurray!! I guess their reign was eternal after all.) 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei literally has it made as a company because they don’t even have to reach deadlines to get content released in time, imagine if they were something like (insert MMO game here) Warframe, Apex Legends Etc... not only do these games have to get constant updates.. but they also can’t miss their deadlines to get their updates out.

Comparing DST to these games doesn't make much sense, because they are developed by very different companies. Apex Legend is made by EA, which has a lot more resources, employees and money to make content. Digital Extremes, the creator of Warframe has also hundreds of employees and (correct me if I'm wrong, but) they are developing only that one game. While Klei is a small indie studio working on several games simultanously (DST, ONI, Griftlands), so they obviously can't make as much new content as often as some big studios.

With Hallowed nights and Winters feast. Those two events are just nice to have every year even if not much is different. That being said, the most recent addition to winters feast was huge! making it an actual feast.

But the one event that should be different each time is Chinese new year, because of just it being a different animal each year, that gives klei the opportunity to do something new each time, which they recently have with Pigman fights in year of the pig, and carrat races in year of the rat

I (personally) just kinda wished the holiday events stood out a little more. I almost never did anything when the Year of the Rat came out, and that's, mainly because there were other things I had to worry about (base building, food farming, upcoming goals for other seasons, etc) of which took up almost all my time. I'd love for an additional event not unlike the Forge or Gorge that is available on holidays.

I really like these events, and don't feel they need to make any big changes.  I can never seem to keep my worlds around very long, but every hallowed nights / winter feast season I definitely try !  I'd love to have a single world I play regularly that can make it through both of those events XD

I'm never a fan of how discussions like this refer to events as a "waste" with the implication that they're just in the way of permanent content. Because personally, my most active months in terms of DST play time are during the chunk that all the events are in. My family doesn't really do holidays and never has, except for getting together for a day around Christmas, so the novelty of each holiday is so there for me. I'm always ready to grab those skins, start messing around with all the new event content, and fully get into the festive mood. 

Something else nice about this event content is that because it's a limited time where I feel compelled to play the videogame as much as I can, it means I'm gonna be going out and messing around with any older content I haven't experienced yet. Winter's Feast for example pushed me to engage with content I hadn't ever touched from both RoT and even ANR! It was my first time ever making the Antlion's sand spikes, first time killing the Malbatross, first time killing Toadstool, first time actually using mushroom lights, first time actively using jellybeans because of all the royal jelly from Klaus... heck, last Winter's Feast was the first time I actually completed a build in DST, despite having done so many times in DS. Events push me to do so much I wouldn't do normally, and I'm so glad Klei continues putting effort into making each event so excellent.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Sunset Skye said:

Something else nice about this event content is that because it's a limited time where I feel compelled to play the videogame as much as I can

Well that's like the textbook definition of good marketing- taking advantage out of an opportunity. 90% of games have a limited time thingy durring Halloween and Christmas. The very existence of Winter's Feast and Hallowed Nights is already something that draws players durring their respective months. New additions to those events are to further bring more players 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:51 PM, Sunset Skye said:

Winter's Feast for example pushed me to engage with content I hadn't ever touched from both RoT and even ANR!

I mean… I could say that Wendy's character update and She Sells Seashells have done the same for me. And permanent updates leave a better… 'aftertaste'(?). Cuz events are fun for like the 2 weeks of the month they're in the game. After that they become repetetive, YotCarrat is the best example. Carrat rancing was fun but after you (and your friends) all had max out you Carrats the races became pure rng. And that was especially bad for solo players since if you lost to Charlie's carat you didn't get a lot of the golden nuggets. Permanent content is made to be fun forever (at least it should be made)

Time-limited events are not so... time limited. We can always access them through WorldGen settings in beginning and/or change in-game events at any moment via Console Commands:

ApplySpecialEvent("special_event")

TheWorld.topology.overrides.specialevent = "special_event"

"special_event" = "none" | "hallowed_nights" | "winters_feast" | "year_of_the_gobbler" | "year_of_the_varg" | "year_of_the_pig" | "year_of_the_carrat"

I for one fancy Winter Feast for the Festive Tree mechanic and 20-days-spawn Klaus all-year-round. Am ok for these events not to be reworked each year, yet having new stuff added is a much-appreciated bon. Chinese Year events are also lil cool gems, spicing up regular runs. Am good with delays on supposed main-game content - delays seem to occur invariably either way.

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Time-limited events are not so... time limited. We can always access them through WorldGen settings in beginning and/or change in-game events at any moment via Console Commands:

I for one fancy Winter Feast for the Festive Tree mechanic and 20-days-spawn Klaus all-year-round. Am ok for these events not to be reworked each year, yet having new stuff added is a much-appreciated bon. Chinese Year events are also lil cool gems, spicing up regular runs. Am good with delays on supposed main-game content - delays seem to occur invariably either way.

Would be cool to have a mod that rotated seasonal events each game year, so first year is normal but every year after is a random event.

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

for that codes, do i need to put both one after the other?

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Would be cool to have a mod that rotated seasonal events each game year, so first year is normal but every year after is a random event.

That reminds me of a recent change in Terraria 1.4 where defeating the pumpkin moon or frost moon events brings a day of christmas/halloween, Perhaps something like killing klaus brings an entire season or half of winters feast? Who knows.

I'd personally prefer Klei putting 100% of their focus on new main-game content, so I wouldn't mind if there isn't something new and interesting to seasonal events. Holiday Cheer was a cool gimmick in 2019 that brought everyone in a server together to eat for the novelty of it, which I enjoyed.

3 minutes ago, Canis said:

I'd personally prefer Klei putting 100% of their focus on new main-game content, so I wouldn't mind if there isn't something new and interesting to seasonal events. Holiday Cheer was a cool gimmick in 2019 that brought everyone in a server together to eat for the novelty of it, which I enjoyed.

This!! But also sorta not this.. 
Because Klei has to make Money in order to provide us with that 100% focus on main game content.

Its simple really- Klei wants to make money to help aid in funding the totally free content updates they’re doing to the game, and I want to give Klei money for a Totally Normal Tree Wormwood skin.

I can only think of one scenario where it’s a win/win! ;) 

Archived