Klei can still salvage Wurt's lore

So as of now Wurt's lore is simply 'Hee-hee, hoo-hoo me young merm, got too close to humans', which is… a little bit disappointing given that a year before her release we had an entire event dedicated to merm's origins.

However if yall remember at the end of a succesful Gorge match Mumsy and Billy apparently jumped into the Gateway with us. Now, for some reason Klei didn't really make a proper follow-up when it comes to the continuity of the timeline. As in, no cinematic explanation. We just have to assume that our survivors got spit back out into the Constant and the 'Moon' decided to drop a piece of itself.

Why am I saying all of this? Well if Mumsy and Billy appear in the Constant then Klei'd have another chance to prove that Wurt was actually a goat. For example through Mumsy's quotes.

I made a lore video about Wurt, but it's in Polish and I'm to lazy to make subs ;D
So, what I think about her?
Her merm form comes from Gnaw's plague and she most likely lived in the Elder Bog. Most of the citizens left Elder Bog and that's told by Pipton:
"Many of our sick disappeared into the sea."
Sammy and Pipton are also merms, but conscious just like Wurt. Before the mermification Sammy and Pipton were goats. Wurt has horns, pretty similar to ones tha Billiam has. Billy also stands, that his friends "can't come out to play" which is an obvious Mummsy's lie.
So Wurt might be one of the sick goats that left the Elder Bog, she could have been Billiam friend, because they are similar age. 
She's conscious so she shouldn't just jump into the water, but as a child she probably followed her sick and unconscious parents.
Also in Gorge event pigs weren't helpful to goats. That might caused Gnaw's rage, that decimated goats population. That's why Wurt hates pigs.

She followed her sick family and ended up on Constant shores.

1 hour ago, QrChuck said:

(snip)

This is all cool and good… but it's still just a theory. As far as I know there are no quotes from Wurt that'd support the idea that she was formally a goat. Even her horns are explained by her apparently being a young merm guard.

Which is why I'd like Klei to do what I said in the OP

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

This is all cool and good… but it's still just a theory.

That's correct, it's only a theory supported by some quotes and overall DST storyline. Sadly we don't have any official short or puzzles.

I have a personal headcanon of mine that all Merm guards are female and only female merms have horns.

Do I have any evidence for this? Nope none at all, I simply like the idea. Similar to how only female bees in real life have stingers, and get nectar and pollen.

Wurt has some really cool things going for her, but I personally think Wurt's design is a massive, massive disappointment.

She's the most recently released character around new content that is all about exploring the sea... and she doesn't support sea exploration via her mechanics.

She's a merm character that can't really swim (abandoning ship for less penalties is...lol) and lives in the swamp but during winter can't even spot tentacles reliably.  Merm king is a chore, the buffs he provides are fairly boring, and the trade options are forgettable.

So much potential beyond what we got.

10 hours ago, Szczuku said:

However if yall remember at the end of a succesful Gorge match Mumsy and Billy apparently jumped into the Gateway with us.

Yeah, that really seemed to be leading up to something. It always made me curious if we'd see them arrive in the Constant (Perhaps the Elder Bog could see a fragment of it's world warped over as an island to explore, with the return of the Elder Pig + Billy and Mumsy?), or if we'll see them next event, but seeing as how events are on hold at the moment, all I can do is hope for their return/some sort of closure. :apthy:

10 hours ago, QrChuck said:

I made a lore video about Wurt, but it's in Polish and I'm to lazy to make subs ;D
Her merm form comes from Gnaw's plague and she most likely lived in the Elder Bog. Most of the citizens left Elder Bog and that's told by Pipton:
Sammy and Pipton are also merms, but conscious just like Wurt. Before the mermification Sammy and Pipton were goats. Wurt has horns, pretty similar to ones tha Billiam has. Billy also stands, that his friends "can't come out to play" which is an obvious Mummsy's lie.
So Wurt might be one of the sick goats that left the Elder Bog, she could have been Billiam friend, because they are similar age. 
She's conscious so she shouldn't just jump into the water, but as a child she probably followed her sick and unconscious parents.
Also in Gorge event pigs weren't helpful to goats. That might caused Gnaw's rage, that decimated goats population. That's why Wurt hates pigs.

The quote definitely does suggest that the plague is the origin of the merms we see in the Constant, but what evidence suggests that she specifically came from the Gorge?

Upon investigating this further, merms "inhabited the marshes of The Constant long before humans", including Maxwell, and Maxwell's quote on merms substantiates this. Unless merms are immortal or have an abnormally slow life cycle compared to everything else in the Constant (which I currently can't find evidence of), it seems unlikely (but not impossible) that she would be one of the original merms that left the Gorge.

What are you referring to in the Gorge when you say that pigs weren't helpful to goats?

My thoughts about Merms is they aren't a real specie but rather Gorge inhabitants they found a way to escape but yet they have mutated, now as a merm, rejected by the Pigs and Boars and with the ages, they grow hatred towards them, over time, Wurt was born with the same hatred for Pigs, keep in mind Merms still act pretty civil if you are one of them.
The original Merms probably escaped via Gateway since it's the only way to escape and that was WAY before they were sealed, or probably by another method.

11 hours ago, QrChuck said:

Thank you, I point out the same thing and get unreasonable hate.

53 minutes ago, Neutral_Steve said:

My thoughts about Merms is they aren't a real specie but rather Gorge inhabitants they found a way to escape but yet they have mutated, now as a merm, rejected by the Pigs and Boars and with the ages, they grow hatred towards them, over time, Wurt was born with the same hatred for Pigs, keep in mind Merms still act pretty civil if you are one of them.
Also they don't swim because they are unaware they can swim, hence Wurt has no penalties while abandoning the ship.
The original Merms probably escaped via Gateway since it's the only way to escape and that was WAY before they were sealed, or probably by another method.

"They don't swim because they are unaware they can swim"

This is straight nonsense.  Merms are roughly as intelligent as pigs are, which is far more intelligent than dogs which absolutely can swim.  Merms also have been in the constant for a long time, and if you're born a merm and live near water you definitely would know you can swim.

Source: All animals that swim, which are less intelligent than merms

12 hours ago, QrChuck said:

Sammy and Pipton are also merms, but conscious just like Wurt. Before the mermification Sammy and Pipton were goats. Wurt has horns, pretty similar to ones tha Billiam has.

But the Merm guards horns are also similar to Wurts, yet are very different than adult Mumsie's

Billy also stands, that his friends "can't come out to play" which is an obvious Mummsy's lie.

They are next to cemetery, and she's wearing a funeral veil. The Gnaw Cemetery portrait confirms that most goats were killed. The mom is hiding that his friends are dead. 

So Wurt might be one of the sick goats that left the Elder Bog, she could have been Billiam friend, because they are similar age. She's conscious so she shouldn't just jump into the water, but as a child she probably followed her sick and unconscious parents.

This is contradicted by the Merms being present in the Constant before Maxwell, and that Merms got the idea to build houses from Pigs, even if you assume they are extremely long lived, it doesn't make sense to forget that much without a single generation passing.

Having killed many goats itself, there's no reason to assume the Gnaw likes the goats, even those who actively worship it have been partially cursed, this point also fails because the either the pigs got the worser end of the curse and faced more casualties than the goats, or the gnaw is transforming both species into Merms, and you run into the same problem the Sneeches had, maintaining us vs them is hard when us and them are indistinguishable.

Why this falls apart in purple

QUAGMIRE_TRADER_MERM = "Finally find someone normal!"
QUAGMIRE_GOATKID = "Hello weird kid! Wanna play?"
QUAGMIRE_RUBBLE_CATHEDRAL = "Mermfolk have story passed down... about mouth in the sky..."

I don't think Klei intended Wurt to be a goat turned merm, judging by her gorge quotes

7 hours ago, FreeKoala said:

I don't think Klei intended Wurt to be a goat turned merm, judging by her gorge quotes

Hence why I made this thread. If Klei changes their mind and decides that they want Wurt's lore to be related to Gorge, they still have time to do so.

Archived