[Poll] On Base Locations v2

WHEREFORE IS THE GENERAL LOCATION OF THE AGGREGATE CONGLOMERATE OF STRUCTURES THAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO RESIDE IN?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Where base?

• In a central world location
    • Near a Wormhole
    • Near static resources
    • anywhere so long as it's Aboveground
    • anywhere so long as it's Underground
    • out at Sea
    • in barren areas where it is easier to place structures
    • near or on beneficial set pieces
    • in the farthest point I can find so i'm far away from griefers
    • in threatening areas where it is harder to survive
    • in safe areas where it is easier to live
    • near a Touch Stone
    • the whole world is my base
    • "where base"
    • nowhere, im a nomad
    • other (please do mention in the comments!)
  2. 2. Which aboveground biome do you most often base in?

• "Midlands"
    • "Large Savannah"
    • "Swamp"
    • "Birchnut Forest"
    • "Mandrake/beef forest"
    • "Moonstone forest"
    • "Thick forest/pig village forest"
    • "Frog ponds grassland"
    • "Bee Queen grassland"
    • "Rockyland"
    • "Mosaic"
    • "Dragonfly Desert"
    • "Oasis desert"
    • "Triple MacTusk"
    • "Spider Quarry"
    • "Killer Bee Fields"
    • "Lunar Island"
    • Other (please do mention in the comments!)
    • the Ocean
  3. 3. Which belowground biome do you usually base in?

• Underground Forest
    • Underground Grasslands
    • Underground Savannah
    • Underground Swamp
    • Fungal Biomes
    • Underground Rockylands
    • Wilds
    • Ruins (Military)
    • Ruins (Splumonkey)
    • Ruins (Sacred)
    • Ruins (Labyrinth)
    • Ruins (Atrium)
    • Land Bridges
    • Other (please do mention in the comments!)

Let's approach this topic again in light of my curiosity: where do you guys set up shop in DST?

Again, do answer freely and of your own will, and discuss in the comments! 

For aboveground biomes, do refer to this page for terms:

For the underground biomes, i'm really sorry but i haven't frequented the underground that much, please feel free to correct me :D

I voted other for underground becuase I don't base underground.

You might wanna add N/A as an option.

Pass that though, I mainly play Wurt so somewhere near the swamp or generally benefical for all players with easy to grab resources (Usually threatning).

I based my answer with my current world because since it, i can't manage to find one that satisfy me ;-;

Biome base is near

For me, it's super important that the biome I base in is close to either Dfly, pig king or oasis.

Dfly: for killing the boss every now and then, the tumbleweeds and a easy access to cactii

Pig king: for easy gold access. Doing big trips around the map kind of bugs me out when i'm just carrying gold.

Oasis: cause of the antlion glass sculture. If i'm to far away from the oasis, i'll most likely won't use them as much and they are a big part for decoration. They take way to long to carry all around if the biome is to far.

Advantage of base

The most important thing for me when it comes to a biome is it's size. I tend to megabase so i like to have no limitation.

When i started my main world, i was looking for a mushroom fairy ring (the big version). PS_Messages_20200426_122825.thumb.jpg.77371331ace2e624af627c7319acfc82.jpg

I had that image in my head, and i really wanted to create that. In my opinion it adds alot of charm and it's usefull when you wanna harvest some veggies really quick. So having a set piece part of your base can help liven up things a bit.

My base is in the triple mctusk biome and i didn't know how much i loved it before basing in one. Easy access to tam, tusk, meat and blow dart. Super great biome to base in.

Finally a usefull wormhole is always nice. My oasis is litteraly on the otherside of my map, but thanks to a wormhole in my base, i'm able to reach the oasis in seconds instead of a half a day trip.

Underground base and final note

I started a base in the ruins near the spluemonkey. Really great place if you know how to deal with them. Great access to food and nightmare fuel. Putting a wall of statue helps alot with keeping them out of your base.

Finally, when ever i enter a new world i always always always have the mind set of making the whole world my base. One day i'll conquer it all. And that's the DST charm for me!

P.s. here's my map

PS_Messages_20200426_124403.thumb.jpg.6dc011022fc40b54ce9b868169607722.jpg

First- Define what your definition of Base is considered.

If your Definition Of Base is a Science Machine, A Campfire, A Endo Fire and A Cooking pot then that is anywhere and Everywhere all over the freaking map for me.

Many people think you need a Prestihatinator, Alchemy Engine, Shadow Manipulator Etc..  But that’s not really the case at all with this game, once you unlock all the Alchemy Engine Recipes & Think Tank Recipes For Example.. you no longer need to EVER Build those two structures in your world ever again- Because That knowledge is Unlocked and can be crafted on the go.

You still NEED a Science Machine to Open Curio Gifts... but outside of that- You can “Base” Anywhere you want with just a Campfire & Cookingpot.

I personally love this playstyle because I’m never caught out in the wilderness without a place to go, It also makes grief players think I’m a complete and total noob and they wont bother burning down my low tier Science Machine, being completely unaware I hold the knowledge in my crafting tab from all those higher tier structures they desperately love to burn oh so much.

I also tend to base in the Mosaic often, why?? Because it’s freaking fun!! Yes Meteorites crash and break a few things here and there but.. I’ll tell you one thing it does VERY effectively- Keeps the noobs away. 

I mostly play with a specific group of people, and we always do mega bases in the central area of the world or any biome that is far away from unmovable structures like ponds.
But personally I just make a boat base as fast as I can and sail around the world living off of fish and kelp, only returning to land to "steal" resources so i can keep sailing!... which is basically just logs to fuel my fire or materials to make more fishing tackle.

7 hours ago, trinket_4 said:

can you add "ocean biomes" to the second question?

Cause I'm a pirate and base on the ocean :wilson_flower:

41 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I mostly play with a specific group of people, and we always do mega bases in the central area of the world or any biome that is far away from unmovable structures like ponds.
But personally I just make a boat base as fast as I can and sail around the world living off of fish and kelp, only returning to land to "steal" resources so i can keep sailing!... which is basically just logs to fuel my fire or materials to make more fishing tackle.

life goals - never touch land except to raid and pillage!!

9 hours ago, Fill-Lips said:

I voted other for underground becuase I don't base underground.

You might wanna add N/A as an option.

Pass that though, I mainly play Wurt so somewhere near the swamp or generally benefical for all players with easy to grab resources (Usually threatning).

Fill-lips, completely unrelated to the poll, where did you get that profile picture. i want to at least see it. is it scorbunny and max from sam and max?

On public servers I'm usually a nomad.

In a vanilla solo world or vanilla world with friends then I usually base at Oasis.

When I do cave basing I usually like a decently sized underground swamp due to the usually abundant sinkhole lights, and in the case of a public server base, it can be far enough out of the way of potential griefers. Clear out the tentacles and spiders and it's actually quite a peaceful base spot. You can even take it a step further and bring a herd of rock lobsters to hang out incase of those pesky worms.

Anywhere near multiple useful resources and not too close to things that will always/sometimes attack me.  I was reading over that list of biomes and going "GEEE, how...'wonderful', that every single time I see a biome I actually _like_ living in, it has words like 'newbs' or 'inexperienced' in the description..."  

Surely I can't be the only experienced player who uses their experience to AVOID constant annoyance/danger?  I mean of course there's gonna be _some_. I just don't want the kind of permanent-home location that involves _daily_ possible attacks.  I don't want to live right up amongst beefalo or pigs, because Those Reasons, I don't open the sinkhole closest to base because NIGHTLY bats, if someone puts a spider nest right in camp I'm'a immediately destroy it (unless we're ALL Webber, I guess)

I just...I don't wanna be blowdarted from afar or lashed by tentacles every time I do the DST equivalent of going out to get the mail.  This _isn't_ a CONSTANTLY-ON-YOUR-TOES-OMG!! game unless you want it to be, and I don't want it to be.  I'd rather play it as "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Harvest Moon'" (or Animal Crossing* or Stardew Valley, if you want)...mostly peaceful, with only _occasional_ attacks from ghastly creatures from the Dungeon Dimensions.  Extreme mortal danger is a _sometimes_ food.

Anyway, bitterness and shame at my apparent STILL awful-playerness** (according to some people, anyway) aside, I pick my base locations the way I pick my city locations in Civilization--I like it if there's corn symbols _and_ shields nearby.  Or in other words, both eating and building materials.  Wood is easy to find near grass and twigs; to find an area that has lots of available food and is also near rockland is rarer, but doable.  In my current main game I ended up at (SIGH) the midlands, THE MAIN _NEWB_ PLACE...but only _after_ I'd scouted around other places first.  It has a lot of the most-used crafting resources _and_ a lot of food, AND, enough space to build out some without running into an ocean or whatever. (shrug)

Oh, AND it's near a swamp!  Yeah I've got a dangerous biome nearby and I take advantage of it sometimes; I just don't _live_ there.

Further rambling about possible base locations...

Spoiler

Frog ponds--Not too close, but I'm fond of non-monster jerky, so my temporary spring bases are often there.  Mama Goose also makes a good unpaid hound-removal service.  Froggy bunwiches and fishsticks are handy for healing if you don't have a birdcage yet (like, if you haven't found a swamp).

Oasis--Only as a secondary base.  Actually right now my main world's secondary base, "The Summer Lounge", is in the Dragonfly's desert's savannah instead.  (I like to plonk at _least_ firepits and science machines all over the place. These are Huge worlds, by the way, so distances between points of interest tend to be larger than normal.)  It happens to be a decently-connected location, too.

Bee Queen Field--My old "March of Civilization" thing had the Bee Queen RIGHT close by as a neighbor...but only after I carefully cleared out all the killer-beehives in the area, one by one.  The (usually) nice bees got to stay.

Nomadic--I've done this many times, either over the summer because I don't have the stuff for a fling-o-matic yet or for a whole year as a challenge.  The entire first year of the March of Civilization thing has you living as a "hunter-gatherer", so yeah.  In my current trying-out-the-new-Wendy world, Wendy has gone nomadic-ish just now because summer decided to jump up and go "HI!" on only Day 26.  Random seasons with a mod that makes sure they _stay_ random, by the way.

I hardly ever base in caves at all, but if I did I imagine it'd be in a place with useful resources again.  So probably grassland/savannah/forest.

EDIT:  I am SO relieved to see how popular "Midlands" is in the poll right now.  Phew.

EDIT AGAIN:  I love the poll's title.  XD

...Notorious

*You can't look me in the eye and tell me Tom Nook ISN'T working for Them.  I mean, come on!

**Or rather, bitterness that my totally legit alternative survival-sandbox-over-combat playstyle is _still_ widely unrespected...

On 4/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, Wumpus the 19th said:

Fill-lips, completely unrelated to the poll, where did you get that profile picture. i want to at least see it. is it scorbunny and max from sam and max?

Coooorrect, saddly I lost where I got it. :(You could maybe find it if you search scorbunny max on google images.

Archived