Coolant to Metal Refinery

Did anyone think that using an already very hot coolant in the metal refinery, becoming even hotter is not reasonable?

The heat amount is calculated based on the molten metal cooling down to room temperature. But the coolant could be much higher than the room temperature. Although this game mechanism is fun to play, but sounds slightly not match with other part of the game. (For example, cleaning polluted water with very cold sand may cold damage the water sieve)

1 hour ago, Dosephshih said:

For example, cleaning polluted water with very cold sand may cold damage the water sieve

Wrong, the cold damage is apply on the output pipe not to the machine and it's not about temperature directly but about the state change (water to ice).

1 hour ago, SamLogan said:

Wrong, the cold damage is apply on the output pipe not to the machine and it's not about temperature directly but about the state change (water to ice).

Yes, sure! You make the whole description more precisely.

9 hours ago, psusi said:

This.... also how none of the generators consume oxygen to burn their fuel.

Part of me wants to know what the game would be like if generators did consume oxygen or polluted oxygen, but things actually gave off the right amount of CO2 (including dupes) and have plants convert CO2 back in to oxygen as a rule.  My thinking is that the gas mechanics wouldn't be able to handle the CO2.  Perhaps a mod could do this?

I use glacial water as coolant and then pump it into the bathtub when it`s 45-50 degrees. I also remember some people using magma as coolant (with a few exploits allowin to pump it) to reach really high temperatures.

14 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Part of me wants to know what the game would be like if generators did consume oxygen or polluted oxygen, but things actually gave off the right amount of CO2 (including dupes) and have plants convert CO2 back in to oxygen as a rule.  My thinking is that the gas mechanics wouldn't be able to handle the CO2.  Perhaps a mod could do this?

You need some pretty powerful plants to make this work.

2 hours ago, Dosephshih said:

People had argue long for the fixed water output temperature, so I am curious why no people think that the coolant to the metal refinery should have similar behaviour.

Huh?  I see no relationship between the two.  The fixed output temperature was goofy because it made the water sieve a great way to cool your base, which is not what it's supposed to be for.  The issue with the metal refinery is that the "coolant" can come out even hotter than the melting point of the metal the refinery is refining, so how the heck did the "coolant" cool down that metal?

12 hours ago, psusi said:

Huh?  I see no relationship between the two.  The fixed output temperature was goofy because it made the water sieve a great way to cool your base, which is not what it's supposed to be for.  The issue with the metal refinery is that the "coolant" can come out even hotter than the melting point of the metal the refinery is refining, so how the heck did the "coolant" cool down that metal?

Yes, they have no relationship, but they both violate some real mechanism, so I just think of it.

Exactly i think "so how the heck did the "coolant" cool down that metal?"

Actually i accept the current design as it is only a game and it is fun to have un-realistic set-up.

Just now, Dosephshih said:

Yes, they have no relationship, but they both violate some real mechanism, so I just think of it.

Exactly i think "so how the heck did the "coolant" cool down that metal?"

Actually i accept the current design as it is only a game and it is fun to have un-realistic set-up.

I agree it isn't going to change and it isn't game breaking for me... just odd.  Kind of like how generators don't consume oxygen to burn fuel.

Another forum post suggested using crude oil and just pumping it out somewhere else where it didn't matter.  This worked really well for me in a couple of bases.

I can make a lot of steel with just one pocket of 100C crude and dump that on the other side of the oil biome.  It's so hot down there that it doesn't even matter.  I'm also doing all of that way outside my base so I'm not heating anything up.

Sure, now there's really hot crude in some pocket somewhere but isn't there always?

1 hour ago, Crapgame said:

Another forum post suggested using crude oil and just pumping it out somewhere else where it didn't matter.  This worked really well for me in a couple of bases.

I can make a lot of steel with just one pocket of 100C crude and dump that on the other side of the oil biome.  It's so hot down there that it doesn't even matter.  I'm also doing all of that way outside my base so I'm not heating anything up.

Sure, now there's really hot crude in some pocket somewhere but isn't there always?

Yep. And if you're playing Rime with a frozen core, you can dump 100s of cycles of coolant from steel, iron, aluminum, copper, and gold refining into a pool of all your collected crude oil and maybe get it up to 0C. :D

I used to do something like that, nowadays, when I set up my metal refinery to crank out steel, I use petroleum as coolant, and run it through a steam room to remove it's heat and turn it into power, which I then use to make more steel. This loop is power positive for Iron, Steel and Tungsten, and it saves me both a ton of power and deals with the heat perfectly.

1 minute ago, suicide commando said:

I used to do something like that, nowadays, when I set up my metal refinery to crank out steel, I use petroleum as coolant, and run it through a steam room to remove it's heat and turn it into power, which I then use to make more steel. This loop is power positive for Iron, Steel and Tungsten, and it saves me both a ton of power and deals with the heat perfectly.

I usually do the same. I've just been lazy this base. Working on trying out a full on sauna right now. 

4 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

I usually do the same. I've just been lazy this base. Working on trying out a full on sauna right now. 

In my last world I started the refinery early ( only used the ore crusher to get just enough metal for the refinery ) and dumped the heat into a cold biome.  I reached the temporal tear around cycle 1400 and that cold biome never did get all the way melted.  And this was on terra.

Now I'm trying one of the other world types and I can see a little cold biome that initially had a frozen over AETN in it, but it has since all melted and there must be a breach in the abyssalite barrier to the magma biome below because it's now sending up steam.  So far the only geyser I've found is salt water so I think I'm going to try setting up a sauna as well and using it to desalinate the salt water.

Archived