Which character needs a rework the most

Wilson. He is a "face of Don't Starve", so he should to one-hit KO misery toadstool

but seriously, Wurt needs to be reworked, cuz she is the ONLY paid character who create permanent structures that can be used by any other free character (i remind u that souls can only be used by Wortox and Wormwood's wild crops rot over time)

So uhh why has no one else brought this up yet?

Characters like Wendy & Willow are completely getting their downsides pretty much removed from the game.. But at the same time, they’re bringing new cooperative features and structures with that Into the game too.

For example- a Low Sanity Willow used to uncontrollably set fires by herself, now a Low Sanity Willow is the single best source of Nightmare fuel in the entire game.

Wendys Weaker strength is now absent as well when attacking things Abigail has bestowed with her damage boost petals.

And it’s only a matter of time before Klei reworks the so called “Top Tier” Characters adding more depth to their personalities.

For example the Mighty Wolfgang is Mighty But he Also has a myriad of Phobias.. CURRENTLY Pre-Rework Wolfgang’s Phobias do not play into the game at all in any way... BUT What happens when the Top Tier Characters get brought back down to earth with everyone else???

For example- What if Willows “Setting things on fire when low on Sanity was Repurposed as Wolfgang fleeing combat in fear for a few seconds when there is too many enemies nearby?”

Making him less OP and Bringing his Phobias into actual gameplay.

Then there is Wigfrid who people seem to forget is not ACTUALLY a real Viking Warrior, underneath that stage performance act I want to see small hints at who Wigfrid REALLY is.

So the TL:DR- When Op characters like Wolfgang get brought back down on par with everyone else.. how much will that change the game?

Do keep in mind that Klei announced that they expect all these character Refreshes to Quote “Be Game Changing in many ways.”

15 minutes ago, Voidbarker said:

it'd be nice if wilson got a rework, frankly. his only perk is being able to provide easier access to beard hair, which. nobody uses because meat effigies aren't used.

i use them as a back up revive. People dont use it because of rollback :/

Kinda surprised that Maxwell isn't getting that many mentions.

I feel like after Wendy's rework, we need something similar with his Shadow clones. They're very impractical.

The wood chopping ones are kinda annoying.  They don't prioritise mature trees, so they'll end up chopping young trees that are not worth cutting down. Plus, they can be really annoying for bases that are using trees for decorations. 

And the sword guys are pretty much useless.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:50 PM, Mike23Ua said:

So uhh why has no one else brought this up yet?

Characters like Wendy & Willow are completely getting their downsides pretty much removed from the game.. But at the same time, they’re bringing new cooperative features and structures with that Into the game too.

For example- a Low Sanity Willow used to uncontrollably set fires by herself, now a Low Sanity Willow is the single best source of Nightmare fuel in the entire game.

Wendys Weaker strength is now absent as well when attacking things Abigail has bestowed with her damage boost petals.

And it’s only a matter of time before Klei reworks the so called “Top Tier” Characters adding more depth to their personalities.

For example the Mighty Wolfgang is Mighty But he Also has a myriad of Phobias.. CURRENTLY Pre-Rework Wolfgang’s Phobias do not play into the game at all in any way... BUT What happens when the Top Tier Characters get brought back down to earth with everyone else???

For example- What if Willows “Setting things on fire when low on Sanity was Repurposed as Wolfgang fleeing combat in fear for a few seconds when there is too many enemies nearby?”

Making him less OP and Bringing his Phobias into actual gameplay.

Then there is Wigfrid who people seem to forget is not ACTUALLY a real Viking Warrior, underneath that stage performance act I want to see small hints at who Wigfrid REALLY is.

So the TL:DR- When Op characters like Wolfgang get brought back down on par with everyone else.. how much will that change the game?

Do keep in mind that Klei announced that they expect all these character Refreshes to Quote “Be Game Changing in many ways.”

While I’m fully in favor of Wolfgang nerfs, especially if he can gain other interesting (though less powerful) abilities, your “fleeing in fear” idea is terrible and I’ve explained why several times now.

Please stop suggesting it.

I will say a lot and forgive me if I tire you ...

Rework:

Personally, I do not agree with this whole issue of "rework". It all started after demands from players who don't know how to play, so they can play more easily. Everyone wants Klei make changes on each character so that it matches the way they want to play with the excuse that "it's useless like that" and "he can't help other players". The main goal is everyone can play and spend their time with fun and not to help each other, this can be achieved without special abilities! How can Maxwell help if he can clear all the entire rocky biome and keep all the loot from him or (worse) logout with all the loot at his inventory? How useful is a Warly if he cook only for him? Or a Wolfgang who kills all the bosses in order to get all the loot from him and never kill them again to give the rare recipes to the other players?

So all the different characters are there so you can choose the one that suits you best, depending on how you want to play at that particular moment. And some examples to make it clearer: If you're in the mood to build a quick or a large base you'll choose someone who can pick up materials very quickly like Maxwell, if you want to play "boss rush" you'll choose Wolfgang, if you want to go around the island and kill, you will get Wigfrid and so on. What makes you better player is the knowledge of how you can do everything you want playing as a TEAM and not COMPETITIVELY (as many do) This game have the name TOGETHER for a specific reason...

Let's take a look now at the names suggested by this thred:

Wes: I don't know what changes you want to see on Wes, it is a challenge character and MUST have these stats because it's for those who know how to play otherwise it will be very difficult to survive and it will be very difficult for the others (with sanity drain or with food consuming). If you want changes like to be able to read signs i am with you even though i don't agree because it's funny he can't talk and makes sense because it's mime.

Wolfgang: I think he's the easiest character to play because he can do everything with a handful of mushrooms and a handful of berries and with his speed he can kite anything much easier than all other characters (except Wortox). If he gets stronger and after that you want to play with him then shame on you ... And of course I don't think there are players out there who want to become weaker so I also can't figure out what rework can be done to him.
(I personally don't like it at all and I consider him one of the worst players, anyone who is interested to ask why he can just send me a pm and I will gladly explain it to him)

Maxwell: What else do you want in a character that constantly raises sanity and don't need to touch a pickaxe or axe and pick up 2k logs in one day (I may be exaggerating but i don't think so)
or fill 10 chests with flints,gold and stones also at the same time? Wouldn't it be too much to have even higher stats or more abilities?

WX: If you can't survive with WX then you better find another game to play because DST just doesn't suit you. He can go for a simple walk in the ruins (if you know how to charge him) and come back with all the items from 
pseudoscience machine and with stats that are the definition of op for DST data (hp 400, hunger 200, sanity 300). Now if it bothers you when you take some damage from the rain, i don't have anything else to say (even that can help you survive the whole night without light)

I left Wigfrid for last because it's my favorite:
I don't want to see any change in Wigfrid other than new skin for her helmet and spear and another new costume, I think it's just fine as it is. If klei definitely wants to make a change i will agree with those who say
to give her the ability from the forge just so that the others don't cry (although i don't want it because the ability of the forge is for the forge and if we start with that all the other will want the forge abilities). 
And lastly I would like to say a few more things about Wigfrid (I know this is not the the correct section but I will say it) I know that Wigfrid is a controversial character, you fall in love with her or you hate her and in my case i have fallen in love with her since i unlocked her in RoG,
 but I can no longer see that "Wig is op" because if it is then what is Wolfgang (which as i said above with a handful of mushrooms and a few berries can kill everything), 
or what is Wickerbottom, that with her books can do EVERYTHING, or WX for the reasons i also said,or Winona with her machines (especially the catapults) or Wortox who only wants a few butterflies and a few green mushrooms to survive everything and forever? So almost all the characters are or can be op and stop this "racism" because the other players having a fun playing with a player you think is useless, give a chance to the one who handles it, it may surprise you!
Or that "all Wigfrid does is make useless helmets" because i've been lucky enough to see this "Wig helmet please" several times even in 1500 days ...

Before people rush to tell me that "Wig is you favorite because you are noob" come play with me and tell me what character you want me to choose and you will see how i play, i playing ds since the day the food don't even spoil (older players know what i mean) and DST from the release day
is the only games i've been playing all these years because i'm tired of the competition that dominates all the other games and it saddens me when i meet this competition style here too ... I play with Wig because he thanks me and because even after all this years still laugh alone with her quote,
with the fact that she is an actress who is stuck in this role and with the incredible animation when she tries to eat vegetables (for this animation i call her guitar hero)

I end with a request from Klei (especially) and all the players: PLEASE stop demanding from Klei to make the game easier than it is, all you can do is make even the most dedicated players stop it and you will stay only with those who just bought it to play 1-2 months and they will give it up too!!!

All that above are personal views that will not change for anyone and i will not apologize to anyone 
(I only apologize for the size of the text and for my English (for some points I had to use google translation)

7 minutes ago, Hinin said:

Personally, I do not agree with this whole issue of "rework"

The reworks don't bother me. I want antithesis updates that basically throw more challenges that add to the game, act as a black mirror to the cast's new updates, and challenges that will pacify the players upset about no "world changing elements". I made a thread about it but I'm not sure if people read it.

Do you read the rest?

The only reason rework bother me it's because 1) i like the game as it is so much to play every day and 2) because we don't want more op chars and all want that (not all but the most)

1 minute ago, Neutral_Steve said:

Wes doesn't fit about being the useless character anymore, with a game who values teamwork Wes should have some nice teamwork capabilities that ONLY will be good if he's working with people.

my opinion is all the character can help even without abilities, i have play with Wes who kill all the bosses alone with few pierogis. So no need for some new abilities to help the others, if you know how to play with your char you can always help

9 minutes ago, Hinin said:

my opinion is all the character can help even without abilities, i have play with Wes who kill all the bosses alone with few pierogis. So no need for some new abilities to help the others, if you know how to play with your char you can always help

Oh yeah, always, but there's a difference on how much you can hepp with certain character, I do like to respect everyone's choice as I really like to play as Wes too because of the design he has, but having more teamworking potential will help gladly!

9 hours ago, Toros said:

While I’m fully in favor of Wolfgang nerfs, especially if he can gain other interesting (though less powerful) abilities, your “fleeing in fear” idea is terrible and I’ve explained why several times now.

Please stop suggesting it.

Bro have you ever played any other game outside of Don’t Starve? Running Away in fear would obviously have a Cooldown to prevent it from becoming Obnoxiously annoying, It’s like the old Scooby games where Shaggy and Scooby could only be frightened so much before it temporarily stopped having any effect on them.

Or a more Recent game would be more Like Hunz Bats Ultimate In Smite where he Drops an AoE circle that causes his opponents to flee away uncontrollably In terror.

This “Fear” Suggestion is to prevent Wolfgang from being good at doing Wendy’s Job.. (killing large groups of mobs) So like Fear only comes into play if he’s trying to “tank” 50 spiders or 20 hounds at once. 

Making Wolfgang better at Solo fights like Deerclops or small groups of enemies as opposed to always being OP.

If not fleeing away uncontrollably from large hordes of enemies .... then an even better idea than that- he should probably get a Minus % Damage modifier per enemy attacking him.

Which brings his “Myriad of Phobias” into play in the actual game in some form or Another..  

To clarify- If your scared of ONE Spider.... fighting 50 isn’t going to suddenly make you forget that your scared of them.

7 minutes ago, Neutral_Steve said:

Oh yeah, always, but there's a difference on how much you can hepp with certain character, I do like to respect everyone's choice as I really like to play as Wes too because of the design he has, but having more teamworking potential will help gladly!

Everyone I've met in the game for so many years says the same thing "I am tired to play alone" 
anyone who enters to play on a public server the only thing they will encounter is selfishness in all its glory and "solo basers" 
who don't talk or if they talk is for giving you orders because "they know better" and we talk for abilities to help the others!

On 4/15/2020 at 8:23 PM, Duck986 said:

Wilson. He is a "face of Don't Starve", so he should to one-hit KO misery toadstool

but seriously, Wurt needs to be reworked, cuz she is the ONLY paid character who create permanent structures that can be used by any other free character (i remind u that souls can only be used by Wortox and Wormwood's wild crops rot over time)

If Wortox can give his soul on other players then can have at least 580 souls at any time, and i didn't understand that for Wormwood...

either wes or wilson. i think ive said multiple times already that i dont like the idea of them being a difficulty slider instead of being an interesting character with a unique gameplay

On 4/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, fluffytail said:

I really can't understand the appeal to Wigfrid.

new players like to facetank and she's the best character to do just that

1 hour ago, Datanon said:

either wes or wilson. i think ive said multiple times already that i dont like the idea of them being a difficulty slider instead of being an interesting character with a unique gameplay.

So So much THIS Thank You! Finally someone thinks like I do about this game! :) Characters being used as difficulty sliders WORKED in Single Player Dont Starve because of Two Reasons- 

#1 and most importantly The game was single player only and the only persons who’s gameplay experience you were effecting was Yours and YOURS ALONE.

And #2- Dont Starve Solo was pretty much a completed product that Unlike DST does NOT get Monthly content Updates.

(How LONG Klei will Continue to do these Monthly updates for DST is Anyone’s guess..)

But the point is that For the Time being- DST is continuously being updated with new found character abilities, new biomes, new craftables, new bosses and more!

The game world itself or the difficulty you select before starting a world should be what challenges you.. NOT Picking to play as Wilson or Wes.

For example pretend that DST got a Totally Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Mode- And while playing this mode things that are Common strategies for the current game is completely thrown out the Window.. we start with a clean slate and a new Rulebook. In the Following Spoiler is my own Ideas for Uncompromising Mode. Please enjoy (Or don’t.. whatever floats your boat, or sinks it.)

Spoiler

In Uncompromising Mode Eating food of Any type will not heal your health bar AT ALL.. to heal you need to actually use healing items like Healing Slaves, Booster Shots Or Resting in a Tent or Lean-to.

Revival Items such as Meat Effigy & Life giving Amulets are removed from Uncompromising Mode making the player have to rely on One time only use Touch Stones, Or having another player revive them with a Telltale Heart.

Which would be a HUGE Sacrifice to that player because you can only have 45% Total Maximum health in Uncompromising Mode so in order to revive another player costs you 40% of your own health leaving you dangerously at 5%

In Uncompromising Mode Hand holding features like Server Rollback is Disabled.. Whatever Happens Happens, And IF You die and fail to be revived within say 60 seconds, Your ghost perished into the ground & you can not ever be revived again, If your the server host your thrown into Spectate Mode, If your NOT the host the game instant Bans you from ever rejoining the world..  Once all players in the server are Dead the world deletes itself, making this truly Uncompromising.

To further add to the Uncompromising- The World And it’s Hazards will be harsher, For Example Shipwrecked winds exist and WILL blow your Tents and Lean-To’s away. Wind will also blow out torches and campfires demanding the use of higher tier light source items such as Lanterns or Miner Hat.

On Totally Uncompromising Mode Eating Butterflies won’t refill Health (something I admit-ably abuse quite often)

And also Crockpot Recipes will be extremely LESS Forgiving- 3- Ice combined with ANYTHING will now always result in creating Wet Goop.

Sanity drops Faster and raises slower requiring a little more than just plucking a few flowers or eating a few Mushrooms.. it now requires adequate sleep.

Several Enemy mobs are now more Intelligent or Deadly having new attacks and require more caution in dealing with, Such as the Spider Warriors attacks now inflicting you with Venom that continuously bleeds your health out very slowly until you either craft a cure or die.

Thermal Stones are either completely removed from this Mode OR now Require separate ingredients such as 15 Ice for a Cool Thermal, or 5 Electrical Doodad For Heated Thermal it can no longer solve both Heat & Cold, In addition to now being separate craftables.. you can longer just rely entirely on Thermal stone to survive Winter and Summer..

You’ll ALSO Need For Example a nice Warm Winter hat & vest.

The TL:DR- Totally Uncompromising Mode strips the game of many of its very noob friendly features and says..

“oh..you want HARDCORE? Good Luck! Don’t say we didn’t try to warn you, this is going to be Truly Totally Uncompromising!”

.And as long as Klei is continuing to update DST with new content however big or small those updates maybe... the game can continue to evolve and innovate to become more accessible for a wider variety of player skill levels.

On 4/13/2020 at 2:59 PM, Blueleaf12 said:

With Wes, I feel like he should be able to read signs but in parentheses, so he's reading it to himself in his head rather than saying it out loud. 

Just make it so other people cant read his text and only see him do his mime actions, so wes can only see him talk.

16 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Bro have you ever played any other game outside of Don’t Starve? Running Away in fear would obviously have a Cooldown to prevent it from becoming Obnoxiously annoying, It’s like the old Scooby games where Shaggy and Scooby could only be frightened so much before it temporarily stopped having any effect on them.

Or a more Recent game would be more Like Hunz Bats Ultimate In Smite where he Drops an AoE circle that causes his opponents to flee away uncontrollably In terror.

This “Fear” Suggestion is to prevent Wolfgang from being good at doing Wendy’s Job.. (killing large groups of mobs) So like Fear only comes into play if he’s trying to “tank” 50 spiders or 20 hounds at once. 

Making Wolfgang better at Solo fights like Deerclops or small groups of enemies as opposed to always being OP.

If not fleeing away uncontrollably from large hordes of enemies .... then an even better idea than that- he should probably get a Minus % Damage modifier per enemy attacking him.

Which brings his “Myriad of Phobias” into play in the actual game in some form or Another..  

To clarify- If your scared of ONE Spider.... fighting 50 isn’t going to suddenly make you forget that your scared of them.

There’s a lot going on here, but I’ll touch on some highlights.

I’ve played a lot of other games, and I can’t think of a single one where players enjoyed losing control of their character.

Smite is a pvp game, comparing it to a pve survival game doesn’t make sense.  Pvp in don’t starve together isn’t popular for a lot of reasons, but wickerbottom’s sleepy time stories taking control away is definitely a factor.

Wendy (and Woodie) are already better than Wolfgang at large groups of enemies, what you’re suggesting is to make him awful at it in a super annoying way.

There’s no question that Wolfgang is OP... but despite that he’s also rarely played because neither his upside or downside are fun.  I play modded Wolfgang who has less stats but more utility because that’s a way more interesting interpretation of “strongman” than just doubling stats + speed boost.

Making Wolfgang terrible at hound waves (with a minus % damage modifier) isn’t a fun downside either.

There’s so many better ways to nerf rather than adding crippling downsides.

6 minutes ago, Toros said:

There’s a lot going on here, but I’ll touch on some highlights.

I’ve played a lot of other games, and I can’t think of a single one where players enjoyed losing control of their character.

Smite is a pvp game, comparing it to a pve survival game doesn’t make sense.  Pvp in don’t starve together isn’t popular for a lot of reasons, but wickerbottom’s sleepy time stories taking control away is definitely a factor.

Wendy (and Woodie) are already better than Wolfgang at large groups of enemies, what you’re suggesting is to make him awful at it in a super annoying way.

There’s no question that Wolfgang is OP... but despite that he’s also rarely played because neither his upside or downside are fun.  I play modded Wolfgang who has less stats but more utility because that’s a way more interesting interpretation of “strongman” than just doubling stats + speed boost.

Making Wolfgang terrible at hound waves (with a minus % damage modifier) isn’t a fun downside either.

There’s so many better ways to nerf rather than adding crippling downsides.

Okay.. but how do you add his actual Myriad of Phobias into the game then? 

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay.. but how do you add his actual Myriad of Phobias into the game then? 

Tie his strongness to sanity?

EDIT: I mean, it is the same thing as now, but sanity is slightly harder to control than hunger and thematically it makes sense. It would of course nerf Wolfgang's capability to fight shadow creatures though.

Another option is to add him a sort of new stat (call it phobia or fear) that controls his forms and is related to his other stats (it goes up if he is "healthy", it goes down if he has low numbers on any stat), but that might be too similar to old-Woodie.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:32 PM, Slagger said:

Wickerbottom. She is really powerful and it's not funny. They should add her more penalties.

Are you saying you never sleep, during early game, mid-game or late game, during raiding ruins, caves exploring, or right before/after a boss fight, ever? That is Wicker's sacrifice.

3 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Are you saying you never sleep, during early game, mid-game or late game, during raiding ruins, caves exploring, or right before/after a boss fight, ever? That is Wicker's sacrifice.

No, i don't. Not really a sacrifice, nor that big of a deal as you make it sound like. You can get easily obtainable food items and crock pot dishes that do the same job as the Tent/Siesta alot quicker and more efficent. Sure, it wouldn't hurt to grab a sleeping bag or two when you're going for longer run in caves/ruins. Wicker can do what she wants without even worrying about this "redundant downside" that literally anybody can find a solution to after playing her a couple times. The amount of usage and attention the tent/siesta/sleeping bags will get depends solely on the player, current situation and knowledge about the game ( newer players ) since not everyone might know about these foods/dishes from the start.

Archived