Which character needs a rework the most

On 4/17/2020 at 7:41 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Okay.. but how do you add his actual Myriad of Phobias into the game then? 

There’s a lot of ways you *could* do it, and a lot of them would make for game design that isn’t fun for the player.

You could choose to represent it with lower maximum sanity and a higher sanity loss multiplier, as I did (150 and 1.3x from current 200 and 1.1x) to force Wolfgang to need to manage 2 of his 3 stats more than other characters or deal with the downsides of being constantly insane.  This isn’t exactly fun, but it differentiates Wolfgang from other characters and makes sense.  He’s scared of a lot of things so he’ll need to put more effort into maintaining his sanity.

Another potentially more fun but riskier option would to add new or more challenging shadow monsters for Wolfgang if he is insane.  This would take more effort and if balanced poorly could potentially be annoying if it makes Wolfgang poor at farming nightmare fuel.

Another option is to put less emphasis on the phobic aspects of his personality, lower his max sanity to 150 or 120, and add some other downside.  For example, it’s clear Wolfgang has a big heart and doesn’t like killing innocent creatures.  You could take this a step further and make him lose sanity if an innocent creature dies on screen, with some sort of line about how he failed to save them.  Obviously this would make minions and allies dying nearby have an additional penalty for Wolfgang.

Wolfgang is afraid of a lot of things, and one of them is probably failing to protect others.

So that’s 3 ways I think his fears could be implemented in ways that would be more fun to deal with instead of loss of control or reduced damage.

But what happens when Food dishes no longer provide health points? Will Wicker have a bad enough downside by not using a tent or lean-to for you then?

Klei’s always designing this game with its future already in Mind, and those are the things they’ll have to be thinking about instead of just listening to the community yelling

“Wicker’s OP Nerf, Nerf Now!!”

As for myself- I want to personally see Klei address things they’ve already Established through their own official artwork, loading vignettes and character descriptions.

For Example Wolfgang is supposed to have a Myriad of Phobias.. & He’s always seen lifting a Dumbbell in some of his photo’s, I want to see that stuff brought into actual gameplay.

Wes- Practices Balloonomancy.. what exactly in the hell even IS “Balloonomancy”

Wigfrid isn’t even a REAL Viking Warrior, she has an entirely different identity beneath that overly acted stage performance.

You get the Idea..

Wendy.. Wendy was simple- She has a sisterly bond that transits death itself, she’s not afraid of the dark, she’s always seen around graveyards and taking casual strolls in the creepiest of places.

But lets talk about WARLY- In Warly’s Short we see him making food so powerful that it makes his Mamanan temporarily remember him, so it should go without saying that IN-GAME Warly should be able to create a powerful cookpot dish that only he can craft that drastically recovers a players Sanity. 

Right???

i'd say the characters that need a rework the most are WX-78 Wickerbottom and obviously Wolfgang its like you play characters with very little downside like WX for example he has a lot of benefits  like eating gears and such making him a tank with 600 hp and his downside? he sparkles in the rain doing so little damage it was hard to even notice,Wicker too she can pump out ridiculous amounts of food in no time while she can't sleep wich is imo not even a downside   cuz i never sleep in game and in real life,And then there's Wolfgang oh boy he's a strong little buggar  he can fight anything with ease if you have enough food  and his only downside as far as i know is that he loses more sanity in the dark than other caracthers.While one of the most key mechqnics of the game is that you shoud not stay in the dark or you will die.

Now my ideas to balance them again are maybe not the best but hey it's something.

for WX i suggest a  way bigger penalty when being wet like his sanity going down really fast or his max health going down when wet making him obligated to wear rain protection items.now Wickerbottom is a tough one and the only thing i came up with was making her lose sanity upon making books plus the additional loss from using them.And finally Wolfgang now i really like wolfgangs personality like him being tough but scared at the same time i'd say he loses more sanity from all sanity drains plus the bee queen crown being less effective with him.

So that was it for the characters that should be remodeled the most imo  If you have some feedback please tell me

9 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Are you saying you never sleep, during early game, mid-game or late game, during raiding ruins, caves exploring, or right before/after a boss fight, ever? That is Wicker's sacrifice.

Candies, mushrooms, cacti, tam o, jerky...

Or just ignore the sanity, its so bugged that you can stay insane hours and dont get any shadow in hours

Maxwell and Wilson is the characters that actually CAN get new and intresting features & abillties. Others in my opinion just will be fixed and a little upgradet, like Winona, Willow and Wendy. Maxwell with his experience of being in charge of Constant world for years can be useful, you know. He may craft new and powerful versions of dark sword/armor, and a lot of new things with dark fuel. He with Wilson build a PORTAL that connect all dimensions, sitting on Shadow Throne for years, maybe even decades, bring people to Constant, and more... What he can do now, you may ask? Well, he can summon shadow fighter, miner, digger and chopper. Really? Thats just funny and sad in one time. He deserve to be refreshed. Wilson pass whole Adventure mode events, sit on Nightmare Throne, build portal alongside with Maxwell and hang out with for a long time (You can see this in their quotes). This events can be key to his new crafting tab - Science mixed with Dark Magic. He also have some medical knowledge reffering to his healer role in future. He can perfrom first aid in Forge and have physician skin in Gorge.

Either Wes or Wolfgang.

Wes because although he is a challenge character, he should have been a challenge for the player, and not his team as well. Perhaps make shadows go straight for him while being unable to be damaged by other players, even when insane. Yeah that would make sense, make Wes get more aggro from every hostile mob. That way he would be a good challenge for the player while aiding his team by serving as a decoy. You know... like in Forge.

As for Wolfgang... I just want this holy trinity to be over. Wolfgang makes literary everything easier for non-existant downsides. Make his downsides much more apparent. His hunger would drain even faster (almost as fast as weremeters when idle) and food would regain less hunger when mighty. Replace higher sanity drain with a mechanic that makes less shadows to spawn when mighty and much more when wimpy.
With the hunger draining so quickly I'd say to remove damage and speed scaling and just give it a static value, but slightly weaker, like 1.8x damage and 1.15x speed. Same would go for wimpy form that would actualy be seen with the shadows mechanics, 0.7x damage and... still 0.9x speed. Making it 0.95 would probably not be noticeable.

15 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

Either Wes or Wolfgang.

Wes because although he is a challenge character, he should have been a challenge for the player, and not his team as well. Perhaps make shadows go straight for him while being unable to be damaged by other players, even when insane. Yeah that would make sense, make Wes get more aggro from every hostile mob. That way he would be a good challenge for the player while aiding his team by serving as a decoy. You know... like in Forge.

As for Wolfgang... I just want this holy trinity to be over. Wolfgang makes literary everything easier for non-existant downsides. Make his downsides much more apparent. His hunger would drain even faster (almost as fast as weremeters when idle) and food would regain less hunger when mighty. Replace higher sanity drain with a mechanic that makes less shadows to spawn when mighty and much more when wimpy.
With the hunger draining so quickly I'd say to remove damage and speed scaling and just give it a static value, but slightly weaker, like 1.8x damage and 1.15x speed. Same would go for wimpy form that would actualy be seen with the shadows mechanics, 0.7x damage and... still 0.9x speed. Making it 0.95 would probably not be noticeable.

I like your idea for Wes. Not even close to enjoying your concept for Wolfgang. Straight up nerfs are not really ideal, even indirect nerfs (like Winona's crafting costing hunger) are not that ideal.

As for the trinity, it has been "over" or expanded upon since Wortox introduction and Willow's re-work. Warly would have also toppled the trinity if it wasn't because his perks are so peckish he just becomes more of a chore than a character to play, even then he is an amazing support.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:39 AM, Mike23Ua said:

But what happens when Food dishes no longer provide health points? Will Wicker have a bad enough downside by not using a tent or lean-to for you then?

Klei’s always designing this game with its future already in Mind, and those are the things they’ll have to be thinking about instead of just listening to the community yelling

“Wicker’s OP Nerf, Nerf Now!!”

As for myself- I want to personally see Klei address things they’ve already Established through their own official artwork, loading vignettes and character descriptions.

For Example Wolfgang is supposed to have a Myriad of Phobias.. & He’s always seen lifting a Dumbbell in some of his photo’s, I want to see that stuff brought into actual gameplay.

Wes- Practices Balloonomancy.. what exactly in the hell even IS “Balloonomancy”

Wigfrid isn’t even a REAL Viking Warrior, she has an entirely different identity beneath that overly acted stage performance.

You get the Idea..

Wendy.. Wendy was simple- She has a sisterly bond that transits death itself, she’s not afraid of the dark, she’s always seen around graveyards and taking casual strolls in the creepiest of places.

But lets talk about WARLY- In Warly’s Short we see him making food so powerful that it makes his Mamanan temporarily remember him, so it should go without saying that IN-GAME Warly should be able to create a powerful cookpot dish that only he can craft that drastically recovers a players Sanity. 

Right???

> But what happens when food dishes no longer provide health points

Where exactly is any evidence that this will happen?

>Will Wicker have a bad enough downside by not using a tent or lean-to then?

The answer is yes, even if we're pretending that your creative writing exercise where food doesn't heal was rooted in reality.  To be clear though, it's complete nonsense.

>Klei's always designing this game with its future already in Mind

Strange capitalization aside, this isn't remotely true.  There have been multiple shifts in development direction.  Multiplayer was never planned, 64 bit version was never planned, events like forge and gorge required substantial modifications.  I like the current direction where character and skin sales fund additional development, but this too has been a relatively new focus and recodes have broken a lot of mods.

> always seen lifting a dumbbell in some of his photos

This was a really confusing sentence I could write an entire post about.  First let's focus on the bolded words.  If something always happens some of the time, it happens some of the time.  Unless you meant that those "photos" never change which is... how "photos" work.  And by "photos" I mean art.

I'm not going to address the rest because it's a scattered stream of consciousness.

What I recommend you do is take some time really honing some carefully considered ideas that are rooted in actual (not imaginary) mechanics that game has if you're going to suggest changes.

Rework Webber, make him able to carry live spiders in his inventory and use live spiders of different types to craft different nests. Besides that, befriended spiders shouldn't eat everything in sight, and Webber himself could be buffed combat-wise to make up for spiders being trash against bosses.

41 minutes ago, KingEdward9830 said:

Rework Webber, make him able to carry live spiders in his inventory and use live spiders of different types to craft different nests. Besides that, befriended spiders shouldn't eat everything in sight, and Webber himself could be buffed combat-wise to make up for spiders being trash against bosses.

I agree that Webber is probably in the worst spot right now in terms of niche as his unique tools are weak and he can’t use several strats Wilson can due to being a monster.

Spiders are bad against bosses and also basically everything else.

2 hours ago, Lovely Roses said:

I would like to see WX be reworked. I think there base stats in DST are a little to Hight compared to there base stats in Don't starve. also I feel like they need some more perks and disadvantage. 

yup, definitely WX.  He is a boring character to play, he is like Wilson on steroids, he can rush the ruins very early and get late game gear "early"  and have very high stats.. Perhaps he should start with 100 HP, 100 Hunger and 100 sanity like in the singleplayer DS

I love reworks... I'd say I'd be the most excited for a Max rework! There's so much they could do there. 

I don't dislike any characters, but I'd say for DST group players (I only play alone, so this doesn't really apply to me), Wigfrid being revamped would take the servers by storm, since she's an obvious choice. 

Archived