I recently got scammed

This is not a post related to Klei games, it's not related to Don't starve, it's not related to anything here.

but i feel most people who love klei games are too good of people to get scammed like this, and i feel the dont starve forum will be the best way to reach an amount of people 

this is simply a post warning against hackers, especially due to the COVID-19 making people stay inside

This post can be deleted for being "not don't starve related" or "inappropriate". i just want people to be aware and this is more or less my only media outlet

hopefully seeing this can make someone decent not get scammed like this

I've seen this scam make it's rounds a while back and even saw my best friend fall victim to it (and had *his* account try to scam me, which was how I found out). Tbh im surprised that it's still around, given how common knowledge it has become (or so I thought.)

I just want to give notable points to people too lazy to watch the video (don't lie lol):

How the scam works:

* A compromised account on your friends list will message you saying "hey I need a favor, I accidentally reported you on steam, can you add this admin".

* When you add the """admin""", he will ask for your user and password. If you're dumb enough to do so, your account will immediately become compromised and you will lose access to it.

Here's' a few points to keep in mind when dealing with *ANY* scam on steam.

* A Valve employee, ESPECIALLY a moderator for steam, will have their steam profile clearly marked with either a special tag or a unique steam achievement.

A valve employee:
image.png.dbb264fbd8a50554d83339906b6908c6.png 
image.thumb.png.73939de00c4564bc572627f9ffd030da.png
they also tend to be in the valve-only steam group:image.thumb.png.2d31b67aef04007c4f3435d79d5c61c7.png

A steam community mod:
image.thumb.png.9e42451169f88306ecdabf812c290a49.png

If they don't have either of these, immediately assume that someone is attempting to scam you.

Here's a list of steam community mods and valve support team:
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/moderators

* If you truly are falsely reported, it is likely that nothing will happen.

If one person reports you with something they have no evidence for, it'll probably get blown off by the mod.

* A member of valve will NEVER, EVER ask for your password.

There is no situation ever that a valve employee will ask for your password. For starters, if they truly are from valve they would already have your password lol, but second off Valve doesn't need user access to an account to apply administrative actions or restrictions to it. This goes for ANY service with moderation, not just Steam.

* Report compromised accounts

It doesn't matter how well you knew the original owner of a compromised account. If someone acts like the scam detailed above, immediately report their profile and say that you suspect that their account is compromised.

If you know the person well enough, you could probably tell if the person you're speaking to isn't that person.

If someone is acting like they got scammed for the meme, it's their fault.

edit: while I'm on the topic of scams, I want to bring up another popular one that is much more suble and more likely to fool you.

Only log into sites through steam if you trust said site.

The steam login page can easily be fabricated by the site owner, so when you think you're putting in your user and password to send to steam, which in turn sends the site some random numerical mumbo jumbo to identify you, you're actually giving your user and password directly to the site. I've seen/heard that TF2/CSGO trading websites are the most riskiest sites to put in your steam info.

Stay safe.

38 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

This is not a post related to Klei games, it's not related to Don't starve, it's not related to anything here.

but i feel most people who love klei games are too good of people to get scammed like this, and i feel the dont starve forum will be the best way to reach an amount of people 

this is simply a post warning against hackers, especially due to the COVID-19 making people stay inside

This post can be deleted for being "not don't starve related" or "inappropriate". i just want people to be aware and this is more or less my only media outlet

hopefully seeing this can make someone decent not get scammed like this

I trolled one of these bots before.

good times.

10 minutes ago, RogueGamer12 said:

I know what you're doing is a good thing, but the DST forums are designed for stuff about the game.

Plus, the chances of someone falling for one these are very low. Only people who are gullible fall for these.

I understand,  I have made clear I do not mind if this post gets taken down.

I needed to vent and this is in essence my only social media

Plus people like your good self and others should be warned of things like this.

If you know another place where I can say this t HD at would be more appropriate, please tell me.

Just now, Wumpus the 19th said:

I understand,  I have made clear I do not mind if this post gets taken down.

I needed to vent and this is in essence my only social media

Plus people like your good self and others should be warned of things like this.

If you know another place where I can say this t HD at would be more appropriate, please tell me.

Really nowhere, this is a well known phishing scam that’s been going around for quite awhile. Anyone with half a brain-cell can google the mumbo jumbo the bot spits out and get the scoop on the bot.

14 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

Gullible, sure, but also people who might otherwise know better but are too stressed or preoccupied to think clearly.

I don’t think there’s a lot of people who aren’t normally gullible enough to fall for this but would because of stress or preoccupation.

Doesn’t feel right to pretend that they have an excuse other than simply being gullible if they don’t.

On the other hand, it’s also important to have empathy for the gullible vulnerable (who may even have a disability) and I’m glad OP is sharing because if it can prevent a single person from getting scammed then it was worth the effort.

Same happend to me to 2 times. the one time i clicked on a link and used steam login and the other was the video showcasing in this post.

Im sure players that have expensive dst skins are less targeted. however it depends on popularity of game, rarity and satisfactory of the item. the best items are just elegant and heirloom. thats nothing compared to team fortress 2, cs:go or dota 2

What do we have here? Some useful information. Thank you, OP. BTW, now I remember - one of my friends almost have lost his hero in Overwatch because of this scam. Some guy stole his hero and sold it to some kind of noob. Then my friend returned his character. The poor guy was forced to boost Overwatch. Our other friend told him where to buy Overwatch boost cheap and his hero's rating was restored in a no-time. But still, he'd lost some money and that's why this is a sad story.

Was contacted by one of these scammers also (friend's account was compromised). They showed me very impressive gifs showing my steam profile with a pending ban and whatnot. I like to think I'm smarter than this type of scheme but it was quite convincing. In the end they said I got a ban from CSGO though which I have never played and wanted to talk to me on Discord which was shady as all hell but I can see people falling for this. Be careful with your info online guys and make sure to set up 2FA whenever possible.

Archived