Would bridges be a good idea?

What I'd like is little tile-sized bridge """boats""" to be added. I call them boats because if they were actually tiles, then the game would do a doo doo since it doesn't update the actual ocean tiles until you refresh the server. They could technically be boats, but not take contact damage from other boats and be completely immovable, however flammable. I'd ultimately save players time building anchors for each one.

The thing separating them from actual boats, besides the stuff I said above, is the fact that you can simply walk from bridge tile to bridge tile instead of jumping. 

Think of the possibilities these tiles would open up, ESPECIALLY concerning ocean bases

But Canis, we want to be able to move big stuff like Beefalo across these “Bridges” so they need to be a little more then just a plank of wood in the water.. they need to be actual bridges, made of Rope, made of Wood, or made of Cutstone.

I Will gladly accept Boat Bridges being removed in favor of actual cosmetically pleasing bridges that can support weight across them. Not only would they do things Boat cookies currently do not- Such as allow hostile enemy mobs like Spiders, or Deerclops to cross over them.. But they would add cosmetically pretty bridges to people’s bases and worlds.

Defiantly not a fan of the gigantic oddly placed circle sitting in my rivers and streams, that can be easily exploited.

Spoiler

Stand on a boat and attack enemy mobs that won’t go onto the boat from a safe distance, like Deerclops on land and You with a Fire Staff, Hurray!! 

Personally bridges don't sound too bad, but the sole idea and concept of how they will function in world of DST can be rather tricky and diffifult to convey. It may seem great on paper but will be hard to turn into a reality once you realise how many details need to be considered and thoroughly inspected in order for it to work without any errors.

35 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Stand on a boat and attack enemy mobs that won’t go onto the boat from a safe distance, like Deerclops on land and You with a Fire Staff, Hurray!! 

You're vastly overestimating the amount of damage that flaming mobs take. A fire staff would be way too little to kill Deerclops. Plus you'd lose the eyeball entirely, as there's no way to track Deerclops's health and so it'd burn to ash whenever she dies.

I've ALWAYS wanted proper bridges; for now boats are a useable stopgap measure, but if that functionality gets taken out I would want it to be replaced at more or less the same time with proper stone bridges with like, railings and everything. 

roadsofrome2watercave.png.6355c7a0414fe4b8d0580e4c7e84493d.png

Like the ones in this picture, only of course done in the DS art style.  (This is a screenshot from "Roads of Rome 2", one of those time-and-resource-management games where you have to fix up a road and build/find/do certain stuff before the time limit, whatever that genre may be called.  But the bridges look pretty close to what I was thinking.)

Of course, they'd be expensive to make, and as with walls there would of course be a less expensive WOODEN version...if ya don't mind the fact that wildfires or lightning could take it out...

...Notorious

Boat kits make adequate bridges functionally but they're easy to mess up if they aren't anchored and aren't very appealing-looking, so I'd support the addition of a bridge item that looks nicer and perhaps has a functional advantage over a boat bridge, like cobblestone walking speed or something.

On 4/10/2020 at 4:07 AM, Neutral_Steve said:

@MF99K did something art for that and it's pretty cool for sure.

d9hcgi2-5dafd9de-e86b-4d79-afe5-6fbd966af2a4.thumb.gif.74bcc29af913a1c1e07709879a488001.gif

https://www.deviantart.com/mf99k/art/Prototype-Bridge-573330314

Awesome. That's exactly what we need. In wood, stone or marble, with some decorations depending on the material you use. We could have some statues if we use marble, instead of these wooden spikes we see on your picture. It could ask few steps if the bridge is long, many ressources, no limit in fact, until we reach the land we want. 

On 4/9/2020 at 4:23 PM, Charlie Dark said:

I might be VERY VERY wrong. But if do I remember correct, in the very early versions weren't there some "sort" of bridges? like "paths" ?

Those were just stretches of land in very early versions of don't starve. world was like that biodome world mod in minecraft is the most apt comparison- a bunch of round biomes surrounded by ocean, short plain lines of land connecting them. I think.

Archived