Geysers have Changed for My Spawn!!!

Ok, so I had a map seed of a map I wanted to play.

I did already use the sandbox to map out the map and confirm it matched the map from toolsnotincluded, I even made a hand-drawn(and accurate) map of all the geysers and types.

Now the problem is I have just uncovered them and they are totally different than the ones that I saw previously(on same save/playthru).

What is going on ?

Really annoyed as I have planned base already and am only on this map because of the setup of geysers.  Looks like they just changed randomly due to update or such.

Anyone have ideas ?

Gavin786

For anyone who has this same problem(and it really sucks), here is what I did:

You can roll back the game to the last patch then uncover the geysers as a priority(my base is relatively stable at cycle 100 for o2 and food etc) so I have the luxury to do this.  It is NOT where I wanted to do this in my build order, however.  Better than the alternative however.

The steam console command is :

download_depot  457140 457141 2905984565811538324

This will download the previous version from before the current patch cycle(which works perfectly, the only things in this patch are compatibility changes for mac users).  It does NOT copy the files over the ONI install, you must do this manually(after making a backup).

Only negative is mods that are already compiled for .net 4.0 and have dependency on it will break if used.

Hope this helps someone else in this miserable situation.

Gavin786

On 2/11/2020 at 12:01 AM, Gavin786 said:

For anyone who has this same problem(and it really sucks), here is what I did:

You can roll back the game to the last patch then uncover the geysers as a priority(my base is relatively stable at cycle 100 for o2 and food etc) so I have the luxury to do this.  It is NOT where I wanted to do this in my build order, however.  Better than the alternative however.

The steam console command is :

This will download the previous version from before the current patch cycle(which works perfectly, the only things in this patch are compatibility changes for mac users).  It does NOT copy the files over the ONI install, you must do this manually(after making a backup).

Only negative is mods that are already compiled for .net 4.0 and have dependency on it will break if used.

Hope this helps someone else in this miserable situation.

Gavin786

This didn't work for me in Steam on Mac. I got error: "Depot download failed: Manifest not available"

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, macOS has different app ID / repo: 457142

Ah, nevermind, I'm still getting "Manifest not available". Maybe they only keep a few older versions of the game or other versions expire after some time?

Is there anyway to access older version of the game? :(

EDIT: Looks like Steam client literally /just/ updated to disable the ability to download older versions of games. Sad panda timing. Can't seem to find a way to get older copy of Steam either...

6 hours ago, Gavin786 said:

Did you guys try the steam console command :

I did retry it again today and it WAS working for me.

Yeah, still not working for me. A few other games have reported this no longer being possible via download_depot as recently as yesterday.

@Gavin786 maybe you have not updated to the most recent build of the Steam client? My Steam client is on build 1581460722 (built: Feb 11, 2020 - 11:30:16)

10 hours ago, Gavin786 said:

Did you guys try the steam console command :

I did retry it again today and it WAS working for me.

4 hours ago, aliis.jh said:

Yeah, still not working for me. A few other games have reported this no longer being possible via download_depot as recently as yesterday.

@Gavin786 maybe you have not updated to the most recent build of the Steam client? My Steam client is on build 1581460722 (built: Feb 11, 2020 - 11:30:16)

The DepotDownloader does seem kinda sketch though...I mean you could always just use the save editor and change the geysers back into what they were supposed to be.

idk.png.ad4fa951a08564ab864964c11eb0395c.png

Did anybody check which version the audio_logging build was running on?

Edit: It's on the Expressive Upgrade, roughly around...JULY 2018?!?! Holy heck that was 1 and a half ago! 

5d0982fa55b07_sweatingguy.thumb.png.0209c753c4e1d3595387e1b375da4978.png

So uh...yeah...if you do go that route you won't have anything from after the Expressive Upgrade.

You will have a lot of temp art though.

image.png.3d907a95265fbd9543387ba2b131eb0c.png

I just tested and the external tool depotdownloader does work.

The format is a little bit different than the steam console command :

depotdownloader -app 457140 -depot 457141 -manifest 2905984565811538324 -username <your steam username goes here> -password <your steam password goes here>

You can get the depotdownloader from here : https://github.com/SteamRE/DepotDownloader/releases

You need to unzip this into a folder, then use command prompt or powershell in that folder, and type the command as I gave above substituting your steam username and password.  If you have steam guard you will then need to type in the code you are sent in your email.  It will then download into a subfolder of "depots" from where you ran the command.

31 minutes ago, Gavin786 said:

app 457140 -depot 457141 -manifest 2905984565811538324 -username <your steam username goes here> -password <your steam password goes here>

" Standardized exit codes and allowed password input to be redirected for scripting "

I personally would not do that, to get an old build..

39 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

" Standardized exit codes and allowed password input to be redirected for scripting "

I personally would not do that, to get an old build..

Sorry mate, I dont get you :  "Standardized exit codes and allowed password input to be redirected for scripting " ? - what is your meaning/concern ?

I have been struck with the same sentiment, over this past week. I didn't realize the POI's had gotten re-rolled. It was a big reason I had re-considered attempting ONI at all for the time being.

After settling on what I hoped would be one of the least worst bad traits(Which this premise I whole-heartedly disagree with), allergies. Turns out, it is just another terrible griefing tool. Yet another example of dev's insisting that you play along a one-lane grief alley(Frostpunk) if you are to be allowed to play the game, and attempt to have fun. After the last geyser reset, I ended up with a nice set-up, even a close cold slush vent. So, in the first week returning, I will have to completely navigate the seed to discover what's available. While doubling the roll time for dupes.

Folks here will tell me to do this thing, use some tool. I'm not interested in trying to fiddle with the game, outside of the game. I don't want to break something, and I have no interest in getting frustrated. I simply want to play, and have fun. It'd be nice to have some control over seed, and dupe, generation. Why is it so much to ask? It's like it's heresy to even question. But, they will laugh and chat all day about vacuous inane drivel. I mean. I cannot really discern one single use for the picture wall things. So utterly useless, imho.. But, comparatively I feel the massage table is almost too much, and the hot tub, jambot, much of the extraneous stuff I could do without, anyway. Ballons? I laugh. And now I'm stuck with a gold volcano in the colony almost, a hot CO2 Geyser, and a Hot Polluted Oxygen Geyser, so far....

adding a copper volcano, infectious hot polluted oxy, hot water vent. While some utility may come from the rolls, they have been terrible imho. And I cannot even see my 2 steam geysers yet. Gotta go to sandbox to see whats going on with LC now.

LC is pretty much trash now, atm. rip

1 hour ago, Gavin786 said:

Sorry mate, I dont get you :  "Standardized exit codes and allowed password input to be redirected for scripting " ? - what is your meaning/concern ?

My concern is, when it comes to passwords / security and entering them into a third party tool.

5 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

It's like it's heresy to even question. But, they will laugh and chat all day about vacuous inane drivel. I mean. I cannot really discern one single use for the picture wall things.

It's a free content pack given to us to keep us occupied until Summer/Autumn rolls around for the DLC. They've even gone on the record that the purpose of the automation color panels is to have just fun with it. Remember fun? Yeah me neither, it never existed. :wilson_ecstatic:

5 hours ago, Slvrsrfr said:

Folks here will tell me to do this thing, use some tool. I'm not interested in trying to fiddle with the game, outside of the game. I don't want to break something, and I have no interest in getting frustrated. I simply want to play, and have fun. It'd be nice to have some control over seed, and dupe, generation. Why is it so much to ask?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1833427385

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1833427385

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1843965353

You probably have a stance against mods, but I'm gonna be frank with ya. You can whine and moan and complain all you want, but until the devs implement what you're looking for, it's not gonna happen. There's a mod that does exactly what you ask for that you can use in the meantime though, it's right there, all you have to do is load it up and continue to enjoy the game as you wish. Nobody's forcing you one way or the other, you can choose to use the mods in the meantime, or you can choose to not use the mods. 

Spoiler

Also, you do realize that the whole purpose of the RNG is to force players to constantly improvise and adapt? If you had complete control over the seed/generation then you'd quickly fall into a meta and the game would become samey for you. Then people would be flocking to the forums complaining about the lack of variety in the game and how it's just the same routine over and over again.

Regardless please don't take this as a personal attack, it's just my opinion and observations. You're welcome to have gripes, just as we're also welcome to give suggestions to deal with those gripes.

I personally have a lot of fun with the game and don't really find it frustrating.  Some random maps are more difficult than others, sure.  As are some dupe traits.  However, I see it as a challenge to overcome.  Last week I chose a world and took the first choice it offered me.  I took the dupes that it offered me without re-rolling any.  Until I hit 12 dupes (my normal limit until late game), I simply took one from every time the printing pod popped.  Poor Mi-Ma has 3 negative traits, including allergies!  Oh well, she'll survive. Probably.  

I didn't use any mods and I set myself a goal of a stable community.  My first water vent is a steam vent that discharges 2899.4g/s of steam at 500c.  My NG vent is is in a room of vaporized phosphorus at 1054c.  Mae has 3 negative traits, including allergies.  It was a really rough start.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9aae6ef3247d413f175d1ed1c0b03714.png

image.thumb.png.48c2740d898cf49675a18347c71a5a8a.png

Anyway, I'm just trying to show that as far as some of us are concerned, its not all bad.  Its a very enjoyable game that I've spent FAR too much of my free time enjoying.  Even if you end up with Lava Tubes cutting through your starting biome.

1 hour ago, thewreckedangle said:

just want to say, geysers seem awesome now!

I didn't test the new world gen to be sure about it but.... I think all this Ice there is just a happy coincidence. Enjoy it! :D

Also, it's good to see your bases continue nicely carved and perfectly clean. It pleases my eyes... a lot!

Archived