Need help with lavatory and sink system

I play on rime, so what's going on here is that my washroom in the bottom puts out germy PW then that goes to the liquid reservoir(on the right) which is submerged in chlorine. The problem is that the liquid reservoir instantly puts out the germy PW to the water sieve without waiting in chlorine. The cleaned water goes to the main water tank. So what to do? I tried making the pipes go through the chlorine a bit to get cleaned. But that doesn't do anything(maybe its because my pipes are insulated). So what can I do? If I have to change the system quite a bit I can just put the used water in the reservoir for a bit while I make the system.

20200130013253_1.jpg

20200130013311_1.jpg

20200130013323_1.jpg

You need multiple tanks for the PW to sit in for awhile.  The PW doesn't get decontaminated while travelling in pipes.

So, either put together one (or more) tanks with a germ sensor bypass to send the PW back into the tanks...

Or (what I do)

Set up multiple tanks with germ sensor or timer automation to open doors under the tanks for awhile.

Tanks sitting on open doors will accept input but will not allow output to occur, giving the PW time to be sterilized.

I use 3 tanks with the outer two set to 1/2 a day timer and the middle tank set to the opposite 1/2 of the day. 

I just use a second timer, but a NOT gate would probably work just as well.

That ensures that the PW will always sit long enough in one of the 3 tanks to be cleaned.  I have yet to have it fail.

Then you can send the PW to the sieve and get germ-free clean water and germ-free polluted dirt.

If you want an early game simple option, place a door under the tank, when open it will disable the tanks output and so you can leave it open, periodically check if it is germ free, close the door to let out some of the clean water and then re-open the door to start collecting germy water again. To improve this you can use two tanks, with two doors, on an automation wire and a not gate so that when one is open the other is closed and you can just toggle them once a cycle.

2 hours ago, Janellope said:

If you want an early game simple option, place a door under the tank, when open it will disable the tanks output and so you can leave it open, periodically check if it is germ free, close the door to let out some of the clean water and then re-open the door to start collecting germy water again. To improve this you can use two tanks, with two doors, on an automation wire and a not gate so that when one is open the other is closed and you can just toggle them once a cycle.

That seems good.

I also originally thought of using a germ sensor as well like other comments but I do lack plastic at the moment. (I'm just about to get some exosuits though) However, I think I'll use a clock sensor and liquid shutoff. I'll set the timer to activate just around downtime starts(I tested and it does kill all the germs) then it'll activate for about 10% of the day to send off the liquid. 

5 minutes ago, Bothead said:

I also originally thought of using a germ sensor as well like other comments but I do lack plastic at the moment. (I'm just about to get some exosuits though) However, I think I'll use a clock sensor and liquid shutoff. I'll set the timer to activate just around downtime starts(I tested and it does kill all the germs) then it'll activate for about 10% of the day to send off the liquid. 

I have also used clock sensors to substitute germ sensors when I lack plastic

In my experience set it to be on 50% of the cycle (plenty of time to kill germs) adjust the timer so the door opens at the beginning of downtime

Hmm, I'm encountering a problem. Is there any way to send the liquid back to the reservoir if it's not suitable to send? Because between the reservoir and the shutoff, there are two pipes. the polluted water in those pipes has germs. I can't overlap the output and input ports. So what can I do?

Only close the door when there are no germs in the tank, that will prevent the pipe from holding germy water... So if you are using a clock, set it to close the door late in the cycle, keep it closed until just before down time, then open it. this will keep the germy water in the tank.

12 minutes ago, Bothead said:

Hmm, I'm encountering a problem. Is there any way to send the liquid back to the reservoir if it's not suitable to send? Because between the reservoir and the shutoff, there are two pipes. the polluted water in those pipes has germs. I can't overlap the output and input ports. So what can I do?

first off you need a way to detect the surviving germs in a pipe, and you need a germ sensor to do that

In the pictures below the lower germ sensor is placed by the output of the tank and sends an automation signal to the liquid shutoff next to it.  If there are no germs the signal remains on and germ free PW will pass though.  If a germ(s) is detected the signal will shut off and the germy PW will bypass the shutoff to the pipe bridge below and sent back into the tank.  The pipe bridge is important to prevent the PW packets from bouncing back once the shutoff is turned back on

20200109075715_1.thumb.jpg.7591d9bb7d063faf44b8f9ae867bd08e.jpg20200109075708_1.thumb.jpg.310d0879a877553ada097f8969e7c3e6.jpg

Why bother with germs in water? As long as your dupes don't use a Water Cooler with contaminated water, you're good to go.

Edit : Microbe Musher, Juicer, Soda Fountain and Espresso machines are also a consideration but I never bother with these.

1 hour ago, DonDegow said:

Why bother with germs in water? As long as your dupes don't use a Water Cooler with contaminated water, you're good to go.

Running germ infested pwater through a water sieve will produce germ infested pdirt.  Dupes handle that pdirt and get germs on their hands, then go cook or eat some food and get the germs on the food, then get sick.

I didn't worry about it for a long time and kept water coolers disabled, but eventually I decided to enable the water coolers and make some soda fountains and got tired of seeing food poisoning germs getting into food.

I am currently experimenting with a version that just uses a timer to let the pwater sit or rather loop back. Make sure the sieve only runs when there has no dupe been using the lavatory for a while. So far I am still optimizing this, but basically the idea seems to work well. Since it is not a lot of pwater (16kg/cycle per dupe), the sieve does need only around 3.2sec (game time) per dupe per cycle to process things, i.e. round 0.5% of the cycle per dupe

2 hours ago, psusi said:

Running germ infested pwater through a water sieve will produce germ infested pdirt.  Dupes handle that pdirt and get germs on their hands, then go cook or eat some food and get the germs on the food, then get sick.

The main issue is the infected pdirt. It has germs go everywhere and is a constant hassle.

Just so you know.   The germs in the water looping doesn't actually matter when it gets recycled.    The only thing that kind of matters is the dirt that comes out of the sieve.   But you can simply just put a sink as well on exit point of the sieve room or ur sieve room behind the bathroom so it's a way one entry.     Now   if u make it so that polluted dirt doesn't get stored or delivered anywhere it will just sit on the floor so there won't be any touching.  And put a pokeshell in the room to eat the dirt. Have a deoxxidizr to clean the polluted air.   You can even have an automated arm for deliver long sand so where the sand is delivered in such a way that you don't even go near the polluted dirt       there isn't a need to worry anymore about cleaning the water of germs.  My over flow water from the loop goes to the electrolizer.   Germs in the air from that doesn't matter either. 

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

My over flow water from the loop goes to the electrolizer.   Germs in the air from that doesn't matter either. 

Actually, it kind of does matter, but in the good way. Since Food Poisoning germs "beat" Slimelung germs, you can purposely spread Food Poisoning in the air to hold off Slimelung issues. 

Granted, it's easier to just use Buddy Buds, Bristle Blossoms, or even just store slime correctly, but still. :D

1 hour ago, RonEmpire said:

But you can simply just put a sink as well on exit point of the sieve room or ur sieve room behind the bathroom so it's a way one entry.

That only works if they have dropped the dirt first, then wash their hands.  If they still carry the dirt, it still has germs on it.  And it's nearly impossible to get dupes to put the germy dirt somewhere and only fertilize crops with germ free dirt.

24 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Granted, it's easier to just use Buddy Buds, Bristle Blossoms, or even just store slime correctly, but still.

Wait, bristle blossoms make spores now too?  I tried buddy buds for a bit at one point when I was having a slimelung outbreak ( was still just letting pwater sit and off gas from algae terreriams at that point and not bothering to deoderize it  ) but it affects dupes with allergies.  Of course it wasn't until much later that I noticed some dupes still getting a little food poisoning now and then and decided to sterilize the pwater before hitting the sieve.  Before that I only sterilized the fresh water coming out of the sieve when I wanted to refill my main fresh water pool.  It only takes some effort to set up the system the first time and after that you don't have to worry about it any more so you may as well.  It's not like it takes labor or power to keep it running.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Wait, bristle blossoms make spores now too?

Hmmm... Now I'm second guessing myself. I know they can cause allergies, but I honestly don't remember if they do spores. Though I can't think if another way to give allergies without spores... 

It's been a while since I grew bristle blossoms. 

10 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

It's been a while since I grew bristle blossoms. 

Me too since they take water and I'm used to only getting water from cool steam vents which takes a lot of work to cool into water, so I decided long ago that the only crop worth growing once you get past meal wood is dusk caps and blossoms take too much water to bother.

3 hours ago, psusi said:

Wait, bristle blossoms make spores now too?

Yep, I grow bristle blossoms often in my play though and yes there is always an explosion of spores every time one is ready to harvest

That's why I never use farmers with allergies  

12 hours ago, psusi said:

That only works if they have dropped the dirt first, then wash their hands.  If they still carry the dirt, it still has germs on it.  And it's nearly impossible to get dupes to put the germy dirt somewhere and only fertilize crops with germ free dirt.

I did write in my post so long as the dirt has no where to be stored or delivered than there is no touching of the dirt than you will be fine.   You could put the compost within the room before exiting the sink one way entry point too if you had to carry it somewhere.   If they dropped it its before exiting.    Pokeshells can just eat it  if u have 2 in the room.   And so long as they don't touch it its fine.    

7 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

I did write in my post so long as the dirt has no where to be stored or delivered than there is no touching of the dirt than you will be fine.   You could put the compost within the room before exiting the sink one way entry point too if you had to carry it somewhere.   If they dropped it its before exiting.    Pokeshells can just eat it  if u have 2 in the room.   And so long as they don't touch it its fine.    

Sure, but that only works if you aren't using dirt for growing arbor trees or sleet wheat or mealwood anywhere.

10 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Yep, I grow bristle blossoms often in my play though and yes there is always an explosion of spores every time one is ready to harvest

That's why I never use farmers with allergies  

Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad I wasn't imagining things. 

@psusi, I actually don't mind the water to feed bristle blossoms. I've just been concentrating on pacu filets and hatch meat in recent bases and I've been able to skip straight from mealwood to that. 

Archived