Need help with lavatory and sink system

5 hours ago, psusi said:

Sure, but that only works if you aren't using dirt for growing arbor trees or sleet wheat or mealwood anywhere.

The amount of dirt needed from the polluted dirt and composting is so minimal that trying to composting it is not worth the effort involved nor the risks.      The poke shells eatting the polluted dirt and converting it to sand in the same room as the polluted dirt with an arm sweeper ends up being a better recycle use since the sand is reused for the sieve anyways minimizing travel time to deliver more sand.       If you need dirt   just have more pip eat wood.   But as I mentioned   if u really want to compost  just do the compost in the same room  and the sink as the exit point.   Dirt can be moved by the arm to compost. 

33 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

The amount of dirt needed from the polluted dirt and composting is so minimal that trying to composting it is not worth the effort involved nor the risks.      The poke shells eatting the polluted dirt and converting it to sand in the same room as the polluted dirt with an arm sweeper ends up being a better recycle use since the sand is reused for the sieve anyways minimizing travel time to deliver more sand.       If you need dirt   just have more pip eat wood.   But as I mentioned   if u really want to compost  just do the compost in the same room  and the sink as the exit point.   Dirt can be moved by the arm to compost. 

You do make a good point.  It just seems like we could avoid all the hassle by simply putting a tank in chlorine.

2 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

If you need dirt   just have more pip eat wood.   But as I mentioned   if u really want to compost  just do the compost in the same room  and the sink as the exit point.   Dirt can be moved by the arm to compost. 

Yea, you can just not use any compost bins and use pips for dirt instead, but if you do compost, then you get germy dirt and when dupes deliver it to plants, they get germs on their hands, and the plants will then have germs on them.

4 hours ago, Neotuck said:

You do make a good point.  It just seems like we could avoid all the hassle by simply putting a tank in chlorine.

I used to just put my entire sieve system INSIDE a chlorine room.     No need to fuss with  germ sensors when the entire thing is inside.  

3 minutes ago, RonEmpire said:

I used to just put my entire sieve system INSIDE a chlorine room.     No need to fuss with  germ sensors when the entire thing is inside.  

Not really.  If dupes run in and grab the pdirt and take it out to fertilize plants before it has been disinfected then you've got germs.  And of course, the fresh water coming out still will have germs.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Not really.  If dupes run in and grab the pdirt and take it out to fertilize plants before it has been disinfected then you've got germs.  And of course, the fresh water coming out still will have germs.

Polluted Dirt  is NOT dirt.    You need to use the compost to make it dirt.    Can't fertilize with polluted dirt.    It will sit there as polluted dirt until delivered to compost  and then somebody has to work on it.    Enough time for all the germs to die if in a chlorine room.  Compost inside the chlorine room as well.    (As for water having germs in your loop,  it doesn't matter if you're not using it for food.  You can funnel excess polluted water with germ to a fiber weed farm tile.  OR what I do is funnel my excess water into the electrolizer and as I said previously, food poison in the air does nothing.)

As I said,  if you JUST leave the Pdirt alone  it has NO where to go if you have no storage bins  and no other delivery sourcefor it.  No Compost  No Feeder.    Put a deoxidizer and just take the free clay from the off gas conversion and get oxygen.   if a pokeshell eats it you get sand.   no fuss.  no spreading of germs.

I saw a video by John Francis mentioning this as one of his tips.  Just don't use a compost and you will be fine.

Here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBOAOeLoez4

2 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Polluted Dirt  is NOT dirt.    You need to use the compost to make it dirt.    Can't fertilize with polluted dirt.    It will sit there as polluted dirt until delivered to compost  and then somebody has to work on it.  

Yes, that is why I said this will work as long as you are funneling all of your pdirt into critters that eat it rather than a compost bin, and all of those consumers are behind a sink so the germs get washed off.  You just can't have a compost bin to convert it to dirt to use on crops  Unless all of those crops are also behind a sink.  It's a bit of a PITA to do that though so it seems easier to just use a tank in chorline to sterlize things instead of all of that.

4 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Maybe we should just skip the hassle and put sinks in the mess hall only?

They still will get germs on the food when handling it before it gets to the mess hall.  Hence just sterilize the pwater.

14 hours ago, psusi said:

They still will get germs on the food when handling it before it gets to the mess hall.  Hence just sterilize the pwater.

7 hours ago, Gurgel said:

My take also. It is the thing that is simple and works. 

I was waiting to see if @RonEmpire would make some claim about infinite food storage in chlorine but I guess he gave up the argument.  I like my compact bathroom loop and I'm not giving it up

Archived